PDA

View Full Version : Bengals v. Falcons MONDAY NIGHT FOOTALL PRE-SEASON

WMR
08-27-2007, 05:51 PM
WHO DEY!!

Who else is getting itchy for the REGULAR SEASON to get rolling?!?!

WHO DEY

Degenerate39
08-27-2007, 06:13 PM
WHO DEY!!

Who else is getting itchy for the REGULAR SEASON to get rolling?!?!

WHO DEY

I was wanting the regular season to get here ASAP but now that the Reds are in contention for the division I'm getting itchy for the playoffs.

WMR
08-27-2007, 06:22 PM
I was wanting the regular season to get here ASAP but now that the Reds are in contention for the division I'm getting itchy for the playoffs.

Me too, deg, but hope for the Reds must be tempered with reasonable expectations.

The Bengals are going to be fascinating to follow this season, IMO.

Degenerate39
08-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Well ESPN on Direct TV just went out for me

remdog
08-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Anyone else sick of hearing about Michael Vick? There is another team on the field that some of us would like to know something about.

Rem

Degenerate39
08-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Nice 4th down conversion

joshnky
08-27-2007, 08:59 PM
What a drive! 17 plays, 83 yards in 9:53.

Reds Fanatic
08-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Impressive 17 play drive ends with a TD pass from Palmer to Johnson. First TD the Bengals first team offense has scored this preseason.

remdog
08-27-2007, 09:00 PM
What a drive! 17 plays, 83 yards in 9:53.

It's about time.

Rem

Reds Fanatic
08-27-2007, 09:07 PM
They defense is just horrible again tonight. They are allowing Joey Harrington to easily drive his team down the field.

remdog
08-27-2007, 09:08 PM
I've about had it with ESPN. They've talked about nothing but Michael Vick all day. You would think that they could take a deep breath and talk about a game on the field for a couple of hours.

Most football fans would like to know what's going on on the field---at least for a little bit of time.

Geez!

Rem

RedsFan75
08-27-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm sick of the Vick too.

Anyone else worried about the Bengals, pre-season has just looked flat so far, makes me wonder how the season will be?

joshnky
08-27-2007, 09:22 PM
At least the offense is finally clicking.

TeamMorris
08-27-2007, 09:24 PM
I've about had it with ESPN. They've talked about nothing but Michael Vick all day. You would think that they could take a deep breath and talk about a game on the field for a couple of hours.

Most football fans would like to know what's going on on the field---at least for a little bit of time.

Geez!

Rem

I have to agree! I am getting VERY annoyed! He did it, got caught...it's over! MOVE ON PEOPLE:rant2:!! You would think the guy was the president with all the press he is getting:rolleyes:!

Reds Fanatic
08-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Bad injury news for the Bengals. Shayne Graham is out with a hip pointer. Bengals will probably need to look for a free agent kicker tomorrow if this is serious.

remdog
08-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Bad injury news for the Bengals. Shayne Graham is out with a hip pointer. Bengals will probably need to look for a free agent kicker tomorrow if this is serious.

Yeah. That's definately bad news. I'm amazed that ESPN had time to report it though. :rolleyes:

Rem

Degenerate39
08-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah. That's definately bad news. I'm amazed that ESPN had time to report it though. :rolleyes:

Rem

I'm guessing they also mentioned the same thing happened to one of Vick's dogs

remdog
08-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm guessing they also mentioned the same thing happened to one of Vick's dogs

:lol: Good 'un. :lol:

Rem

macro
08-27-2007, 10:06 PM
I told myself before they even came on the air tonight that this would be "The Vick Show". The teams (especially the Bengals, who have no attachment to Vick) would simply be background noise for the three-hour special about Michael Vick.

Just as I'm typing this, Mike Tirico goes into the commercial break by saying "We'll have more Vick talk when we come back." They're not even trying to hide it.

cincrazy
08-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Anyone else sick of hearing about Michael Vick? There is another team on the field that some of us would like to know something about.

Rem

Amen. ESPN is a joke sometimes.

Joseph
08-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Offense looks pedestrian.

Defense looks like it was a pedestrian that got run over by a runaway car as it meandered down the sidewalk.

Color me a little concerned.

paintmered
08-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Joey Harrington looks more like he's playing Stanford rather than an NFL team.

cincy jacket
08-27-2007, 10:34 PM
I would feel much better about this season if Chris Henry was going to be here the whole time.

Dom Heffner
08-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I told myself before they even came on the air tonight that this would be "The Vick Show". The teams (especially the Bengals, who have no attachment to Vick) would simply be background noise for the three-hour special about Michael Vick.

Just as I'm typing this, Mike Tirico goes into the commercial break by saying "We'll have more Vick talk when we come back." They're not even trying to hide it.

An athlete of Vick's stature loses his career and they're supposed to talk about week 3 of the preseason between the Bengals and Falcons? One of the teams playing just lost a very important piece of their franchise- I think it's justified.

I would think it odd if they didn't talk about Vick so much.

Not sure what's up with me but I'm not into the NFL so far this year. Baseball is such a love that this seems like a way to kill time until next April.

remdog
08-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Funny. The talking heads are saying that Atlanta should make a statement and then shut it down.

Gosh. That would be a good piece of advice for them to follow themselves.

Jaws is saying that that the game should be the story during the broadcast---the only one that 'gets it'.

A pox on the ESPN house.

Rem

macro
08-27-2007, 10:56 PM
An athlete of Vick's stature loses his career and they're supposed to talk about week 3 of the preseason between the Bengals and Falcons? One of the teams playing just lost a very important piece of their franchise- I think it's justified.

I would think it odd if they didn't talk about Vick so much.

Obviously it's going to be a storyline, but I (and others here, as well) just feel that they've been overdoing it, Dom. On the other hand, the majority of the people watching this game across the country are neither fans of the Bengals nor the Falcons, so perhaps their constant banter about it is justified. I'm just sick of hearing about Vick, period, so my opinion is not so objective.

Dom Heffner
08-27-2007, 11:04 PM
On the other hand, the majority of the people watching this game across the country are neither fans of the Bengals nor the Falcons, so perhaps their constant banter about it is justified. I'm just sick of hearing about Vick, period, so my opinion is not so objective.

Here, here. I'm over it as well. These guys have to squeeze the last drops from the orange, though.

remdog
08-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Well, that was pretty much 3 wasted hours. The Bengals pretty much sucked and ESPN briefly acknowledged that there was a football game going on while they beat the Michael Vick dead horse.

Rem

redsfan4445
08-27-2007, 11:20 PM
im tired of excuses...Marvin has had 5 seasons and the defense is getting worse NOT better!!.. Its like the 3 teams the Bengals played had a game plan and followed it and looked like they wanted to WIN the game.. the Bengals have lost 3 straight reg. season games at the end of the season last year and now 3 pre-season games...they dont show a killer insticnt and its sad that TJ was in the wrong spot two times Carson thru his way in the game... yes im concerned.. all this win the division talk is blah blah till they step it up and show they are in the game for ALL 4 QUARTERS!!!

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-27-2007, 11:21 PM
observations from the game--Marvin Lewis appeared to be on morphine every time they showed him..every falcon receiver was open by 10 yards..our punter cant even attempt a field goal twice?? the espn gang was actually able to talk about vick for 3 hours..Doug Johnson throws a lot of wobblers..anything else?????

Reds Freak
08-28-2007, 12:27 AM
im tired of excuses...Marvin has had 5 seasons and the defense is getting worse NOT better!!.. Its like the 3 teams the Bengals played had a game plan and followed it and looked like they wanted to WIN the game.. the Bengals have lost 3 straight reg. season games at the end of the season last year and now 3 pre-season games...they dont show a killer insticnt and its sad that TJ was in the wrong spot two times Carson thru his way in the game... yes im concerned.. all this win the division talk is blah blah till they step it up and show they are in the game for ALL 4 QUARTERS!!!

I'm not an expert on the X's and O's of football but it seems to me that Marvin was incorrectly characterized as a defensive genius after his days in Baltimore. Don't get me wrong, I love Marvin and think he saved this franchise but I think people expect him to be a miracle worker for defenses. He had amazing talent to work with in Baltimore with that defense, I think I could have been the DC for the Ravens that year and done alright. He just doesn't have the playmakers to work with like he did in Baltimore.

Remember, folks, it is just the preseason. Last year the Bengals looked absolutely unbeatable in the preseason going 4-0 and look how the season turned out. The Colts had an 0-4 preseason last year and won the Super Bowl. I think it is very evident that the offense has been super vanilla and they just need to tighten some screws a bit before the season and they will be fine. You hope the defense will be average and force a few turnovers. A lot of the points in the preseason seem to have come off blown coverages by some rookies. I'm not concerned yet, if they are playing like this 3 games into the regular season I'll be concerned but not right now...

sonny
08-28-2007, 02:18 AM
They did sport the orange socks tonight. So, that was a plus.

GAC
08-28-2007, 08:32 AM
I liked Lapham's comments last night toward the end of the 3rd quarter. He seemed frustrated that the Bengal's defensive was playing such a soft zone.

My take? It's the pre-season. Maybe they don't want to risk getting anyone hurt in meaningless games? You're looking a young players/rookies, while trying to let your vets get the reps in and get somewhat acclimated.

I never worry about pre-season games.

Didn't the Colts go 0-4 last year in the pre-season? ;)

Roy Tucker
08-28-2007, 08:55 AM
If I were a Bengal fan, I'd be starting to worry about their defense. Maybe Bobby Pitrino is an offensive genius, but when Joey Harrington makes your defense look bad, that can't be good. I saw no playmakers out there at all. Lots of pluggers, but no dynamic players.

Offense looks like it will round into shape. Still no #3 receiver and nobody is stepping up behind Rudi, but Palmer, Chad, and TJ ought to be enough. Hopefully, Willie Anderson and Levi Jones will be back soon.

dsmith421
08-28-2007, 09:15 AM
With the usual disclaimers about the preseason implied:

The defense is utterly putrid beyond belief, a winning combination of bad personnel and absolutely braindead schemes. Since Bresnahan became D-Coordinator, have the Bengals ever stopped a misdirection or delay play--whether it be a draw, a cutback, a reverse, or a screen? Since Bresnahan took over, have the Bengals ever brought the consistent pressure on the quarterback needed to get off the field on third down? All of this was completely evident during the second half of last year--the debacle against SD, the back-to-back 99-yard drives by Denver and Pittsburgh--and NOTHING has been done about it in the offseason. It's the same "token pressure and pray for a turnover" that good teams like Indy and NE have exploited and will continue to exploit.

The only thing the Bengals have going for them is a slightly weaker schedule than last year. So maybe they can limp back to 8-8. Maybe.

Yachtzee
08-28-2007, 09:26 AM
If I were a Bengal fan, I'd be starting to worry about their defense. Maybe Bobby Pitrino is an offensive genius, but when Joey Harrington makes your defense look bad, that can't be good. I saw no playmakers out there at all. Lots of pluggers, but no dynamic players.

Offense looks like it will round into shape. Still no #3 receiver and nobody is stepping up behind Rudi, but Palmer, Chad, and TJ ought to be enough. Hopefully, Willie Anderson and Levi Jones will be back soon.

I kind of expected the Falcons to come out firing away at the Bengals D. With Vick out of the picture, you have a QB competition and I suspect Harrington might be feeling like this is his last big shot to show his stuff. Plus you have a new head coach implementing a new offense and a team trying to shake off the bad publicity of the Vick issue. All reasons why a team might go out there and put a little more effort into a preseason game than they normally would.

On the other side of the ball, you have your starters on offense and defense who are playing vanilla to avoid showing too much. They're just in to get their reps in to prepare for playing a full game and avoid getting hurt.

I'd like to see a lot more from the Bengals D, but I'll wait till the regular season starts before passing judgment, since I don't know what the coaching staff was calling on the sidelines.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-28-2007, 10:04 AM
How is the D ever supposed to get better when Marvin takes an injury-proned RB in the 2nd round?

If it were not for the triplets (Palmer, Johnson, Rudi), Marvin would not be the savior some people make him out to be.

I just can't get that late loss last year to the Steelers out of my head, when Marvin pooped his pants with a stupid late timeout to ice the kicker on a 30+ yard FG and awful clock management. He just seems in over his head. I think anyone could have stepped in at the time he did (with this offense) and had one winning season. The fact of the matter is that the D is still a laughingstock.

CrackerJack
08-28-2007, 11:02 AM
With the usual disclaimers about the preseason implied:

The defense is utterly putrid beyond belief, a winning combination of bad personnel and absolutely braindead schemes. Since Bresnahan became D-Coordinator, have the Bengals ever stopped a misdirection or delay play--whether it be a draw, a cutback, a reverse, or a screen? Since Bresnahan took over, have the Bengals ever brought the consistent pressure on the quarterback needed to get off the field on third down? All of this was completely evident during the second half of last year--the debacle against SD, the back-to-back 99-yard drives by Denver and Pittsburgh--and NOTHING has been done about it in the offseason. It's the same "token pressure and pray for a turnover" that good teams like Indy and NE have exploited and will continue to exploit.

The only thing the Bengals have going for them is a slightly weaker schedule than last year. So maybe they can limp back to 8-8. Maybe.

Pretty much spot on - how many years do we say the Bengals' have no defensive talent, and give the coaching staff a free pass for not developing players or devising schemes that actually work?

The Bengals' lazy off-season and poor choices to renew Willie and Levi with huge extensions didn't help anything (they should be grooming replacements for both or have replaced Willie with Whitworth last year and moved on).

There's actually some talent on defense - but yes still no impact players upfront. And the DB's should NOT be looking this poor - two 1st round corners and a former Pro Bowler in 2005 and they can't cover anyone? Madeiu is a solid FS.

I just have to point my finger at Chuck Breshnahan and his staff - they're doing a poor job all-around and have since he's been here.

Just tired of the excuses at this point.

Matt700wlw
08-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Michael Vick got in trouble?

I'm glad ESPN informed me about that....

Good lord.

Yachtzee
08-28-2007, 05:07 PM
I wonder if this means more coverage for the Mean Machine's season next year. Now that Vick's on board as QB, I hear the warden is looking to hire a free agent as prison guard/spy backer.