Bolivar - 2B

Victor Santos is pitching.

Prf15
08-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Lecure is pitching for the Lookouts.

1 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 0 ER, 0 K

Prf15
08-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Jordan Tata struck out the first 4 Lousville batters he faced.

Votto: 0-1, K
Bruce: 0-1

Santos: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 BB, 0 ER, 1 K

FIRELEFT
08-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Bruce: 1-2 double rbi

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2007, 08:27 PM
77th XBH for Bruce.

Grande Donkey
08-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Jay Bruce has more XBHs than anyone playing proffesional baseball in the US

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2007, 08:39 PM
GCL Reds lost 5-1.

Mesoraco went 2-for-3 with two singles.

Chiu: 3 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K

dougdirt
08-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Jay Bruce doubles again. 2-4 with 2 doubles and an RBI.

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Jay Bruce doubles again. 2-4 with 2 doubles and an RBI.

Who is Jay Bruce? Is this somebody I should know about or something?

FIRELEFT
08-27-2007, 09:45 PM
You know this Bruce kid just might be something special.

dougdirt
08-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Who is Jay Bruce? Is this somebody I should know about or something?

You mean this guy?
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g66/dougdirt/jaybrucefuturesgame.jpg

Nope, don't worry about him. :thumbup:

LoganBuck
08-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Does Bruce get a call up Aug 31 or Sept 1?

dougdirt
08-27-2007, 09:49 PM

If I had to bet, I would put money on neither. He won't get the call this year. The Reds won't make a 40 man roster move just because. Its not their style.

LoganBuck
08-27-2007, 09:55 PM
doug, who do you see getting the calls then Aug 31 or Sept 1? It is fun to at least talk about playoff rosters isn't it?

DntKnw
08-27-2007, 09:55 PM
You know this Bruce kid just might be something special.

cbssportsline.com has this piece today about the '05 draft and who is already in the majors . . .

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10319067/1

It's Maybin, Upton, Tulowitzki, Braun, Gordon, Zimmerman, Garza & Pelphrey.

I can't wait to see how Bruce stacks up . . . better than them all?

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Brandon Waring just homered AGAIN.

He's now homered four times in the past three games and seven times in his last nine games. Last night he homered twice plus flew out to the wall in CF, just missing a 3-HR game.

dougdirt
08-27-2007, 10:00 PM
No one ever questioned the kids power. Outside of that two week stretch he has killed the ball all year.

dougdirt
08-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Louisville won 3-2. Jon Coutlangus got the win after striking out 4 in 2.1 innings.

Az. Reds Fan
08-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Waring just hit his 2nd of the night, 16th on the year...WOW

Mabey he gets his 3 HR game tonight

OnBaseMachine
08-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Unreal. He did it again. That's eight (8) homers in his last nine games. Eight homers in 33 atbats.

flyer85
08-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Jon Coutlangus got the win after striking out 4 in 2.1 innings.too bad he can't get the first batter out.

corkedbat
08-27-2007, 10:36 PM
doug, who do you see getting the calls then Aug 31 or Sept 1? It is fun to at least talk about playoff rosters isn't it?

Not Doug, but I'll guess Votto, Coffee, McBeth, Salmon and Coutlangus. I think they'll load up the pen and everyone will get chances to make one last impression this year.

I'd personally cut Stanton loose before 8/31 and add Coutlangus, but that's just me and it won't happen.

I think they hang on to Jorgenson as a third catcher whem Ross comes back too. Seems like I'm forgetting someone else, but not sure.

Screwball
08-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Unreal. He did it again. That's eight (8) homers in his last nine games. Eight homers in 33 atbats.

Cold blooded rally killing.

Seriously though, great to see yet another prospect in the Reds' system to be excited about. :thumbup:

Caveat Emperor
08-27-2007, 10:57 PM
No one ever questioned the kids power. Outside of that two week stretch he has killed the ball all year.

I'm genuinely curious as to what the Reds are going to do with Bruce next year. They have to make room for him and have to let him play every day...somewhere with Griffey, Dunn and Hamilton something has to give. I'm guessing Jr. or Dunn to 1B.

I wonder if Bruce can take the next step -- learning to recognize when he is being pitched around or not being given good pitches and taking the walk. That step will be the difference between Bruce being a great player and Bruce being a superstar in the Pujols form.

SMcGavin
08-27-2007, 11:13 PM

Please not the 31st as they are in Indy this weekend, let us Hoosiers get a chance to see him one more time before he hits the bigs!

reds44
08-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Not Doug, but I'll guess Votto, Coffee, McBeth, Salmon and Coutlangus. I think they'll load up the pen and everyone will get chances to make one last impression this year.

I'd personally cut Stanton loose before 8/31 and add Coutlangus, but that's just me and it won't happen.

I think they hang on to Jorgenson as a third catcher whem Ross comes back too. Seems like I'm forgetting someone else, but not sure.
I think Dickerson will get the call for pinch running and defensive purposes.

corkedbat
08-27-2007, 11:49 PM
I think Dickerson will get the call for pinch running and defensive purposes.

That's who I was forgetting. I'd love to see Chris get a look.

AmarilloRed
08-28-2007, 12:57 AM
In the interview, Krivsky did not sound like he would bring Bruce up this year. "He was only supposed to be at AAA a short time, but he played himself into staying there" Krivsky was impressed by Bruce, but not enough to call him up in September.

dougdirt
08-28-2007, 01:16 AM
In the interview, Krivsky did not sound like he would bring Bruce up this year. "He was only supposed to be at AAA a short time, but he played himself into staying there" Krivsky was impressed by Bruce, but not enough to call him up in September.

I honestly think it has more to do with making a roster move than anything else.

AmarilloRed
08-28-2007, 01:19 AM
One question: Does Bruce use up an option if he is called up this year? The rosters expand from 25 to 40, so maybe you could explain to me why they would not make a roster move.

camisadelgolf
08-28-2007, 01:24 AM
Tzu-Kai Chiu has been putting up fairly impressive numbers. Does anyone think there's reason to be excited about him? Maybe someone would put him in her/his top Reds prospects list?

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=423272
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/Tzu-Kai-Chiu.shtml

dougdirt
08-28-2007, 01:25 AM
One question: Does Bruce use up an option if he is called up this year? The rosters expand from 25 to 40, so maybe you could explain to me why they would not make a roster move.

I don't know if it counts as an option or not, although I wouldn't think it does.
The reason they don't make the move is becuase they then would have to DFA someone from the current 40 man roster to make room for Jay, and well that leaves the player open to be picked up by any team that wants him at that point. The Reds probably wouldn't make that type of move just to get a guy onto the roster when they wouldn't play him anyways.

Superdude
08-28-2007, 02:06 AM
It's slightly optimistic to do this after a two homer game, but if he played a full major league season, Waring is on pace for over 40 homers and 40 doubles. The K rate is worth keeping an eye on, but how is this guy a 7th rounder? He and Francisco give us two seriously intriguing power prospects at the hot corner. I guess you could even throw Frazier into that mix if you wanted to.

dougdirt
08-28-2007, 02:08 AM
Scouts said that Waring had a nice hole in his swing and he is coming from a very small school. Mix them together and he falls to the 7th round.

Homer Bailey
08-28-2007, 02:48 AM
dougdirt i want it to be known that I enjoy your posts the most probably on redzone.... you and reds44 are my main sources of information that i trust the most!

icehole3
08-28-2007, 06:33 AM
I agree those two guys are a wealth of info, good job guys

LoganBuck
08-28-2007, 07:30 AM

It is my understanding that it does not use an option to call a player up. It only counts when a player is optioned to the minors, a player like Votto would be "recalled", because he was optioned in spring training. Bruce would be "selected".

medford
08-28-2007, 08:02 AM
dougdirt i want it to be known that I enjoy your posts the most probably on redzone.... you and reds44 are my main sources of information that i trust the most!

I concur. Until this recent surge in performance that has left me unsuccessful attempting to push thoughts of a division title out of my head, the minor league forum was about all I read on here.

Benihana
08-28-2007, 09:22 AM
He and Francisco give us two seriously intriguing power prospects at the hot corner. I guess you could even throw Frazier into that mix if you wanted to.

Francisco will not be a 3B for very long. He projects to a 1B or corner OF as he progresses through the system. But I agree with your general sentiment, Waring and Frazier are two guys to keep an eye on at the hot corner, and Francisco has true bell tower power.

Danny Serafini
08-28-2007, 09:22 AM
It is my understanding that it does not use an option to call a player up. It only counts when a player is optioned to the minors, a player like Votto would be "recalled", because he was optioned in spring training. Bruce would be "selected".

That is 100% correct.

Clearing a 40 man spot shouldn't be a problem, Freel, Castro and Livingston are all out for the year and can be moved to the 60 day DL easily enough. Possibly Lopez as well. In fact I'd expect a couple of guys to get moved to the 60 day soon as the team prepares to set its playoff roster (I can't believe I just typed that).

Caveat Emperor
08-28-2007, 01:50 PM
The reason they don't make the move is becuase they then would have to DFA someone from the current 40 man roster to make room for Jay, and well that leaves the player open to be picked up by any team that wants him at that point.

How much longer until the Reds have to clear space on the 40-man for Bruce in order to protect him in the Rule V?

(I can never keep most of this service time stuff straight for minor leaguers)

dougdirt
08-28-2007, 01:52 PM
How much longer until the Reds have to clear space on the 40-man for Bruce in order to protect him in the Rule V?

(I can never keep most of this service time stuff straight for minor leaguers)

Several years. It won't matter though, as he will be up way before that day ever rolls around.

podgejeff_
08-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Tzu-Kai Chiu has been putting up fairly impressive numbers. Does anyone think there's reason to be excited about him? Maybe someone would put him in her/his top Reds prospects list?

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=423272
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/C/Tzu-Kai-Chiu.shtml

I'd like some more info on this guy too, he looks intriguing, and his numbers seem like they're there based on my horribly untrained eye. Prospects seem to be popping up everywhere for the Reds these days.

JaxRed
08-28-2007, 03:19 PM
However, if you call up Bruce in Sep this year, you do burn an option is he is not on the roster next spring (as I assume he will not be). Esentially no reason to bring him up. I'd be shocked if he was.

ETA Jun/July of next season.....

Stingray
08-28-2007, 05:36 PM
However, if you call up Bruce in Sep this year, you do burn an option is he is not on the roster next spring (as I assume he will not be). Esentially no reason to bring him up. I'd be shocked if he was.

ETA Jun/July of next season.....

That's exactly the approach I'd take plus you'd like to leave room on the 40 man roster to protect your Rule 5 eligibles and/or select someone(could the Reds get another Burton?). In addition, that approach could extend Bruce's arbitration eligibility one year. All these factors are important considerations especially for a small market team.

The only way I'd bring up Bruce in Sept is if the Reds definitely plan to start him everyday from opening day forward which I seriously doubt..