PDA

View Full Version : This weeks Baseball America hotsheet (very Reds heavy)

REDblooded
08-27-2007, 07:49 PM
HOT.

14. Ben Jukich, rhp, high Class A Sarasota (Reds)

A 2006 13th-round pick of the Athletics, Jukich came over to the Reds as the player to be named in the Chris Denorfia deal in June. While he was shaky early on in the Florida State League, Jukich is currently riding a 20-inning scoreless streak during which he’s allowed just seven hits and struck out 22.

16. Todd Frazier, ss, short-season Billings (Reds)

Frazier is staking his claim as the best prospect in the Pioneer League. The Reds' supplemental first-rounder has outperformed the Reds' first pick, catcher Devin Mesoraco (.209/.303/.261 in the Gulf Coast League), hitting .336/.424/.539 in 177 Pioneer League plate appearances. Frazier has the contact hitting skills and has shown some power, and he is especially adept at controlling the strike zone, with 18 walks and 19 strikeouts. With middle infield talent at a premium and this year's drat considered to be below-average at those positions, the Reds are no doubt pleased with Frazier's early results.

19. Matt Maloney, lhp, Triple-A Louisville (Reds)

Acquired in the Kyle Loshe deal at the trade deadline, Maloney was successful but inconsistent in the Phillies system at Reading. After putting up 9-7, 3.94 numbers for the R-Phils, Maloney showed improvement in his secondary pitches at Double-A Chattanooga and was promoted to Triple-A.

In his first start with the Bats, Maloney fanned eight over six innings in a loss against Columbus. That was after posting a 39-3 strikeout-walk ratio in just 28 Double-A innings for the Lookouts. Maloney should find himself in the mix for a spot in the big league rotation in Cincinnati in 2008.

NOT SO HOT....

Josh Ravin, rhp, Rookie-level Billings (Reds)

The 2006 fifth-rounder is back at Billings, where he made four starts after pitching in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League last season. The problem is, there are few signs of improvement. Through 31 innings, Ravin’s walked more than he's struck out, and is 0-4, 9.38 overall in 11 starts. During his last outing, Ravin allowed five earned runs on seven hits and hit the showers before the end of the second inning.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/hotsheet/264756.html

Doc. Scott
08-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Jukich has done really well after a terrible start, but he's 24 and in High-A. An older pitcher with a good breaking ball and decent control will dominate that level almost any time.

I will be watching him in AA/AAA next season, though.
---

I'd like to see the Reds try starting Ravin in Dayton's bullpen next year and concentrating on control and consistency.

dougdirt
08-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Doc, funny that you mention that. I was thinking the exact same thing about 5 minutes ago about Ravin. The kid has some serious heat (hit 98 two games ago), and he throws 2 other pitches.... he just needs to get a better idea of where its all going. I am curious as to what happened with him though. His walk rate has literally more than doubled since last year in Billings.

camisadelgolf
08-28-2007, 02:23 PM
I'd like to think that whenever I see a drastic increase in walks, it means the organization is tinkering with the player's mechanics to help keep his arm fresh. If that's the case, I think it's only a matter of time before the control he had returns. I live in kind of a dream land, but maybe I'm on to something?

Doc. Scott
08-28-2007, 03:52 PM
I'd like to think that whenever I see a drastic increase in walks, it means the organization is tinkering with the player's mechanics to help keep his arm fresh. If that's the case, I think it's only a matter of time before the control he had returns. I live in kind of a dream land, but maybe I'm on to something?

Or Ravin hurt his arm. One of the two.

Perhaps the firing of Billings' pitching coach had something to do with Ravin's struggles during his second Pioneer League stint.

dougdirt
08-28-2007, 04:02 PM

Perhaps the firing of Billings' pitching coach had something to do with Ravin's struggles during his second Pioneer League stint.

I dont know many guys with hurt arms who are adding velocity to their fastballs. Last year Ravin hit 96 a few times, this year he has hit 98 a few times.

HBP
08-28-2007, 04:32 PM

Or he could be one of the several "pouters" we have in the organization ;)

GoReds33
08-28-2007, 04:54 PM
I dont know many guys with hurt arms who are adding velocity to their fastballs. Last year Ravin hit 96 a few times, this year he has hit 98 a few times.98??? Maybe they forgot to remove the special Bailey radar gun. That usually adds a couple MPH.;)

dougdirt
08-28-2007, 05:40 PM
98??? Maybe they forgot to remove the special Bailey radar gun. That usually adds a couple MPH.;)

It was the team gun that the other players use to chart the game.... so there is no real need to have it juiced.

Superdude
08-28-2007, 08:01 PM
I think CamisaDG may have the reason. Ravin certainly wasn't a control pitcher last year, but a walk rate over 11 is ridiculous. Tinkering seems like the most likely explanation. 98 is gas though! The best arm in the post Homer Bailey farm system?

kcjones
08-29-2007, 11:23 PM
why does Baseball America always get Ben Jukich wrong? He's a left handed pitcher.

kcjones
08-29-2007, 11:25 PM
that's an interesting philosophy. When Ben Jukich was in Oakland, the Athletics were always tinkering with his mechanics and he ended up with not such a great start. One game he hit 5 batters.

SteelSD
08-30-2007, 12:55 AM
98??? Maybe they forgot to remove the special Bailey radar gun. That usually adds a couple MPH.;)

Yeah. From what I've seen over time, "98" generally means "93".

Unless the pitcher has turf toe. Then it's "96". ;)

Triples
08-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Or...perhaps his struggles had something to do with the pitching coach being fired.