PDA

View Full Version : Jorgensen Sent Down, Ross Recalled

RedLegSuperStar
08-27-2007, 10:44 PM
C. Trent -

The Reds optioned catcher Ryan Jorgensen to Class AAA Louisville, they will announce the corresponding move tomorrow. It will be David Ross.

WVRedsFan
08-28-2007, 12:45 AM
C. Trent -

And thus ends the run we've had. Whatever Wayne Krivsky ever saw in this catcher who has batted .225 lifetime and only .207 this year. His 15 HR's are nice, but he only has 33 RBI's to go along with that in 96 games. My, my. Javy has only batted .357 over the last 10 games with 7 RBI's and an OBP of .368. But you'll see Ross in the lineup the first game.

red-in-la
08-28-2007, 12:49 AM
I'm not so sure....the move does not guarentee that the manager cannot read a boxscore.

WVRedsFan
08-28-2007, 12:50 AM
I'm not so sure....the move does not guarentee that the manager cannot read a boxscore.

Hmmm. Didn't we get the report that Wayne is deciding who plays?

Eric_Davis
08-28-2007, 12:59 AM
Winning and hitting is contagious.

Maybe Ross will start hitting.

Maybe.

Pigs do fly in Cincinnati, you know.

remdog
08-28-2007, 01:13 AM
Winning and hitting is contagious.

Maybe Ross will start hitting.

Maybe.

Pigs do fly in Cincinnati, you know.

But turkeys, as Les Nessman now knows, don't. ;)

Rem

KronoRed
08-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the GS kid :D

Topcat
08-28-2007, 02:11 AM
But turkeys, as Les Nessman now knows, don't. ;)

Rem

Think its Herb Tarlic ;)

BCubb2003
08-28-2007, 02:26 AM
Think its Herb Tarlic ;)

Actually, it was Mr. Carlson.

Anyway, Krivsky picked the wrong week to stop carrying three catchers.

chicoruiz
08-28-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm guessing we're only talking about a few days here; most teams add a third catcher after Sept. 1.

Roy Tucker
08-28-2007, 08:20 AM
I have to say, I was impressed with Jorgensen's defense. He knows his way around behind the plate.

A free swinger at the plate though.

GAC
08-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Hmmm. Didn't we get the report that Wayne is deciding who plays?

Where was that stated?

cumberlandreds
08-28-2007, 08:29 AM
I don't know why this move couldn't have waited until Saturday. Jorgy was doing OK and Ross could have got more swings in against AAA pitching. Plus, Javy is really hitting well. I hope they don't play Ross over him. Javy deserves to start for a while yet.

redsmetz
08-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Where was that stated?

Fay wrote this back on August 2nd. It was posted in the ORG. It was a blurb in the Reds Insider column from Fay and the story immediately before it had to do with whether Dumatrait or Ramierez would be called up. It was Dumatrait who was called and got the start. Then came this piece. It's never been clear to me whether Mackanin was talking about starting pitchers or which players start in games. I've believed it was much ado about nothing, but many became convinced that Mackanin is nothing more than Krivsky's puppet. That strikes me as a bit absurd.

PETE'S INPUT: Mackanin is starting whomever Krivsky tells him to.

Some managers make that call.

"I'm just not in a position to make demands as to what I want," Mackanin said. "I have a good grip on the guys who are here. Some of the guys who are at the Triple-A level I don't know as much as I'd like. I'd always defer to people who recommend players.

"That's what Triple-A managers and GMs and farm directors do. They make recommendations. I'm fine with that."

The link is:

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070802/SPT04/708020351/1071/COL05

nate
08-28-2007, 09:07 AM
've believed it was much ado about nothing, but many became convinced that Mackanin is nothing more than Krivsky's puppet. That strikes me as a bit absurd.

Agreed.

I took it to mean that Pete was simply deferring to the judgment of others in the organization.

HotCorner
08-28-2007, 09:18 AM
And thus ends the run we've had. Whatever Wayne Krivsky ever saw in this catcher who has batted .225 lifetime and only .207 this year. His 15 HR's are nice, but he only has 33 RBI's to go along with that in 96 games. My, my. Javy has only batted .357 over the last 10 games with 7 RBI's and an OBP of .368. But you'll see Ross in the lineup the first game.

Yeah because the ability to call a game or throwing out runners is overated for a catcher. :rolleyes:

lollipopcurve
08-28-2007, 09:19 AM
It's never been clear to me whether Mackanin was talking about starting pitchers or which players start in games. I've believed it was much ado about nothing, but many became convinced that Mackanin is nothing more than Krivsky's puppet. That strikes me as a bit absurd.

The context was starting pitching, and, in particular, who would come up from the minors to join the rotation. No manager in baseball has the authority to tell his GM/minor league people who to call up....

redsmetz
08-28-2007, 12:48 PM
The context was starting pitching, and, in particular, who would come up from the minors to join the rotation. No manager in baseball has the authority to tell his GM/minor league people who to call up....

I clearly saw that it was about starting pitching, but some here have latched on to the belief that WK is penciling in the line-up card.

Chip R
08-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Jorgy, we hardly knew ye.

PuffyPig
08-28-2007, 02:03 PM
You can dbate Javier vs.Ross all you want, but Ross is head and shoulders above Jorgy.

Jorgy did his job while he was hear, but it's likely that those 2 HR's he hit for us may have what we were going to see all year from him.

Razor Shines
08-28-2007, 02:21 PM
You can dbate Javier vs.Ross all you want, but Ross is head and shoulders above Jorgy.

Jorgy did his job while he was hear, but it's likely that those 2 HR's he hit for us may have what we were going to see all year from him.

I agree but he did a nice job while he was here and I really hope he's back in September as the third catcher.

WVRedsFan
08-28-2007, 02:24 PM
I agree but he did a nice job while he was here and I really hope he's back in September as the third catcher.

Third catcher??? Are we back to that again?

Matt700wlw
08-28-2007, 02:26 PM
See you in a week, Jorgensen!

Razor Shines
08-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Third catcher??? Are we back to that again?

I'm pretty sure most teams carry a third catcher in September. You know they do that thing where they let you have more players.

remdog
08-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Actually, it was Mr. Carlson.

You are correct that Mr. Carlson uttered the classic line: "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Of course, Les learned the hard way since he was in the drop-zone. :) (Just like Reds fans are in the drop-zone for this team. ;) )

Les Nessman: "Oh, the humanity!"

Rem

remdog
08-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Think its Herb Tarlic ;)

I used to occassionally play some tennis with Frank (Herb Tarlic) Bonner, back in those days. :LOL:

Rem

GAC
08-28-2007, 08:51 PM
I clearly saw that it was about starting pitching, but some here have latched on to the belief that WK is penciling in the line-up card.

Exactly. I think many, who strongly dislike WK, are interpreting that article the way the want to see it.... in a negative way.