PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Deal- Bruce for Garza

Benihana
08-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Purely hypothetical situation (because it would never really happen for so many reasons), but after seeing who was in the majors from the 2005 draft, I got to thinking.

Would you trade Jay Bruce for Matt Garza straight up?

These types of deals never occur in real life, as there is too much to lose for each GM, but this is kind of the same debate we had five years ago about trading Dunn for Beckett. While young pitching is more valuable, it also has a much higher flameout rate. Garza has had great success in his first major league season. Would you pull the trigger on this deal?

BucksandReds
08-28-2007, 10:55 AM
No

Joseph
08-28-2007, 10:58 AM
can't say I would no.

Dunn and Griffey have to be cut down to one player, you'll need a bat and a glove to take the others spot and Bruce offers that option since he's not a one way player.

We need pitching, but losing 2-1 would suck as bad as losing 7-6.

dougdirt
08-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Not a chance. Matt Garza looks good and all, but I think Jay Bruce is a lot more valuable than Matt Garza is.

camisadelgolf
08-28-2007, 11:52 AM
I would hypothetically do it. I think Jay Bruce has the brighter future, and it's basically a ripoff as far as overall value goes, but I want to compete next year, so I would do the deal. In 2008, I'd have Dunn, Hamilton, Griffey, and Hopper/Freel in the outfield, and on top of that, I'd have Harang, Arroyo, Garza, Bailey, and someone else (Cueto?) in the rotation.

LoganBuck
08-28-2007, 01:37 PM
no way

Benihana
08-28-2007, 01:49 PM
In hindsight, do I wish we would have traded Dunn for Beckett? Absolutely
Will I learn from my "mistake?" Probably not

I'd consider it, and then turn it down. Votto for Garza? Done quicker than a wink.

flyer85
08-28-2007, 01:49 PM
would not do it. Reds would need to get a least one more good player, the attrition rate for young pitchers is too high.

Garza is a good prospect but certainly not at a "Beckett" level.

AmarilloRed
08-28-2007, 01:55 PM
It would also leave us short in the outfield. Dunn has a 1 year option for 2008, and Griffey will be here for 2008 plus an option for 2009. I like Hopper and Freel, but I would not want them starting in the outfield. Freel gets injured too much, and Hopper has very little power and usually has a low OBP.

dougdirt
08-28-2007, 02:50 PM
In hindsight, do I wish we would have traded Dunn for Beckett? Absolutely
Will I learn from my "mistake?" Probably not

I'd consider it, and then turn it down. Votto for Garza? Done quicker than a wink.
I think you are onto something with the Votto thing. I would consider flipping Votto + another prospects for Garza in the offseason. Obviously it depends on the prospect, but I would give Votto and a C+/B- type prospect for Garza in all likelihood.

Benihana
08-28-2007, 02:55 PM
I think you are onto something with the Votto thing. I would consider flipping Votto + another prospects for Garza in the offseason. Obviously it depends on the prospect, but I would give Votto and a C+/B- type prospect for Garza in all likelihood.

It would take more than that IMO. I think you'd be looking at Votto and Encarnacion, and even that may not be enough for the Twinkies.

However, I think Votto by himself could possibly net a Kevin Slowey or a Scott Baker.

camisadelgolf
08-28-2007, 03:26 PM
The Reds currently have good outfielders next year, and meanwhile, oh-so-valuable pitching is where the most help is needed. I would trade just about anyone for Matt Garza, even though I don't think he's an ace.

GoReds33
08-28-2007, 04:09 PM
No... straight up.

dougdirt
08-28-2007, 04:11 PM
It would take more than that IMO. I think you'd be looking at Votto and Encarnacion, and even that may not be enough for the Twinkies.

However, I think Votto by himself could possibly net a Kevin Slowey or a Scott Baker.

Probably true.

Doc. Scott
08-28-2007, 04:54 PM
I don't think I'd trade Jay Bruce straight up for any minor-league pitcher currently in existence. A major-league one, maybe, but not a minor-leaguer.

dougdirt
08-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Doc, Garza is in the majors right now, and pitching pretty well. That said, I wouldn't trade Jay Bruce for a lot of people in baseball, prospect or not.

edabbs44
08-28-2007, 05:26 PM
I'd rather offer up Votto and EdE for Garza.

But I think Garza is as untradable to Minny as Bruce is to many on this board.

Benihana
08-28-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't think I'd trade Jay Bruce straight up for any minor-league pitcher currently in existence. A major-league one, maybe, but not a minor-leaguer.

Um, Garza has a 3.16 ERA through 51 IP in the major leagues. He is also averaging almost a K per inning, and has almost a 2.5/1 K/BB ratio. Not saying I'd trade Bruce for him, but just saying...

Degenerate39
08-28-2007, 07:00 PM
That gets a big H- No

HokieRed
08-28-2007, 09:38 PM
No way. I wouldn't even consider it because of the injury risk to Garza as a pitcher. I'd never risk an everyday player of Bruce's talent for a pitcher.

OnBaseMachine
08-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Nope.

Votto or EdE for Garza? Yes. Bruce? No.

BoydsOfSummer
08-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Doc, Garza is in the majors right now, and pitching pretty well. That said, I wouldn't trade Jay Bruce for a lot of people in baseball, prospect or not.

I'm with you Bro. He's untouchable right now in my eyes.