PDA

View Full Version : Best restaurants/bars around Wrigley

RollyInRaleigh
08-29-2007, 07:52 AM
My wife is on a business trip in Chicago and will be going to Wrigley tonight for the Cubs/Brewers game. Anyone know the best/can't miss places to visit around Wrigley Field?

Johnny Footstool
08-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Here's a list:

http://www.centerstagechicago.com/neighborhoods/wrigleyville.html

I've been to Goose Island (good beer) and eaten at John Barleycorn's (good food). Both are a block or two away from the stadium. I've also been to a little tavern right next to Wrigley (can't remember the name). There are plenty of places next to Wrigley, and they're all crowded on game day.

She absolutely *must* get a picture of the statue of Harry Carey in front of the stadium.

RollyInRaleigh
08-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks, Johnny!

vaticanplum
08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
DO NOT let her go to the Raw Bar across the street from Wrigley. I worked there; it's a disgustingly dirty establishment in more ways than I care to mention.

Uncommon Ground, on Clark and -- grace, I think? -- is great, nice ambiance and fantastic food. The butternut squash ravioli is to die for, and the place is casual enough that she could go there by herself.

In general, for good food and atmosphere, she should go a few blocks south (the places right around Wrigley tend to be frat bars). Wrigley is within walking distance of two wonderful Italian restaurants: Mia Francesca's (a few blocks south on Clark and School) and Angelina's Ristorante (just a couple of blocks east on Broadway and Addison -- this was where I lived :).) Both places are a little nicer, really really good food and atmosphere. Wrigley is also within walking distance of two chicago institutions due south: Leona's, a small local chain with a large menu, and PJ Clarke's, an all-night diner right by the Belmont station (one stop south of Wrigley on the red line; still walking distance though). The Chicago Diner on Halsted has amazing vegetarian food, vegetarian food for meat lover even.

If she heads east on Addison, turns on Broadway and walks south she'll also hit a wide variety of sushi/Thai/general Asian restaurants. Some of these are very good and cheap.

If she has a chance to do brunch, nobody does brunch like Chicago. There are a ton of great, great brunch places around Wrigley too: Ann Sather (another Chicago institution -- Swedish food, there's one on Belmont near the train station and another on Broadway south of Addison), Orange, the Twisted Spoke (a biker bar that serves brunch -- not as scary as it sounds), Yoshi's, and another diner on Halstead that I can't remember the name of.

She's in walking distance of a lot of great food actually. But NO RAW BAR.

vaticanplum
08-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Oh, and as far as bars go, I find two bars around Wrigley tolerable: the Gingerman, on Clark next to the evil Raw Bar, and Guthrie's, on Addison a couple of blocks west. The former is just a nice chill place; the latter is adorable and laid-back, with board games to play and weird stuff on the ceiling. If your wife is a woman, she's going to be attacked like a piece of meat anywhere else, bar-wise, around Wrigley. These two bars are fine though.

Johnny Footstool
08-29-2007, 11:17 AM
The place I went to next to Wrigley wasn't that great or memorable (obviously), but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Raw Bar. It was just a narrow little watering hole with domestic beer.

RFS62
08-29-2007, 11:18 AM
If your wife is a woman, she's going to be attacked like a piece of meat anywhere else, bar-wise, around Wrigley.

Wow, awesome disclaimer!!!!

I'm betting she is.

:beerme:

pedro
08-29-2007, 12:09 PM
She absolutely *must* get a picture of the statue of Harry Carey in front of the stadium.

I'd be afraid it was going to steal my soul.

I have no intention of spending eternity at Harry Caray's feet.

http://www.coral-lab.org/~catalano/photos/roadtrip_2002/roadtrip_2002-Images/211.jpg

RollyInRaleigh
08-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks, VP. She'll be with a group so I'm not too worried about the "meat attacks," although I must say, she is a fine looking woman.:D

Yachtzee
08-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks, VP. She'll be with a group so I'm not too worried about the "meat attacks," although I must say, she is a fine looking woman.:D

Sounds like a Fox show, "When Meat Attacks!"

Johnny Footstool
08-29-2007, 12:45 PM
I'd be afraid it was going to steal my soul.

I have no intention of spending eternity at Harry Caray's feet.

Why not? You can subsist on Budweiser drippings and bits of pizza that fall out of The Master's mouth.

SunDeck
08-29-2007, 02:54 PM
I went to this raw bar once, right across from Wrigley. I think it's called The Evil Raw Bar. My server kept telling me to get out if I knew what was good for me. Amazing the place is still in business with people like that working there. But I had the chicken (who knew chickens had four legs?), because I have one rule about seafood- if I can't see the ocean, I'm not eatin' the oysters.

Chip R
08-29-2007, 03:13 PM
But I had the chicken (who knew chickens had four legs?), because I have one rule about seafood- if I can't see the ocean, I'm not eatin' the oysters.

Probably a good idea cause those oysters may end up being from the Rocky Mountains. :eek:

RollyInRaleigh
08-29-2007, 04:25 PM
I went to this raw bar once, right across from Wrigley. I think it's called The Evil Raw Bar. My server kept telling me to get out if I knew what was good for me. Amazing the place is still in business with people like that working there. But I had the chicken (who knew chickens had four legs?), because I have one rule about seafood- if I can't see the ocean, I'm not eatin' the oysters.

So you know vaticanplum, SunDeck?;)

RollyInRaleigh
08-29-2007, 04:26 PM
My wife was thrilled with your info, vaticanplum. Thanks again!

:) :beerme:

Chip R
08-29-2007, 04:47 PM
My wife was thrilled with your info, vaticanplum. Thanks again!

:) :beerme:

Now we have to know if your wife is a woman. :D

vaticanplum
08-29-2007, 04:50 PM

:lol:

I should mention, Randy, that I have a fairly liberal definition of "walking distance". But she'll spend just as much time figuring out the bus system anyway, and cabs are a nightmare around Wrigley. I do consider all of this walking distance, though.