PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday was Classic Reds

berryluther
08-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Making a push in the division and get smacked around by a cellar dweller.

Jharb74
08-29-2007, 10:51 AM
If you've been a Reds fan long enough, that's the way they have been for awhile now.
It used to be in the 80's they could gaurantee a win from the likes of the the Braves. Now they are almost certain to beat the league leaders and get swept by the cellar teams.

RedsFanWC
08-29-2007, 11:27 AM
The 1999 series at Milwaukee to end the season comes to mind

goreds2
08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
The 1999 series at Milwaukee to end the season comes to mind

You had to remind me. :(

DTCromer
08-29-2007, 12:38 PM
So what if we were 6.5 games out? Big deal. We may have been 6.5 games out but still doesn't change the fact that we're still a terrible team. Sure we could say we could make the playoffs but does anyone actually think we deserve to go much less win a series? I don't know why so many people get upset over this.

ChatterRed
08-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Anything can happen once you get there.

AmarilloRed
08-29-2007, 01:11 PM
The Pirates have been playing as well as we had coming into the series.

redsfanmia
08-29-2007, 01:24 PM
They are what they are and thats a 76 win team nothing more nothing less. Actually making the playoffs this year would set the team back even further for next year, ownership might think that the team is actually good and not make any changes. The Reds have 2 good starters and rest of the rotation is terrible, how can a team win with Shearn, Rameriz, Dumatrait getting consistant starts?

redsupport
08-29-2007, 02:49 PM
they can win by bringing in majewski, coffey and stanton, thats the tried and true formula

Ludwig Reds Fan
08-29-2007, 05:32 PM
they can win by bringing in majewski, coffey and stanton, thats the tried and true formula

Amen.

Every time I see The Magic Man coming in, I know its an automatic notch in the win column.

And Coffey. So much potential. Maybe if he ran a little faster to the mound, that would push him over the edge, spilling onto greatness. Pay attention folks, you are watching a future HOFer. Wait a minute, if he really is a lock for the HOF... I wonder why he even bothers hustling then? That's KGJ 101.

Stanton? Why I bet he could pitch ANOTHER 65 years easily. Watching him pitch...he makes it look so easy. Perfection should be so attainable.

Ludwig Reds Fan
08-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Yesterday was Classic Reds

No.

This is classic Reds:

http://img.search.com/thumb/f/f5/Eric_davis.jpg/225px-Eric_davis.jpg

And this is Classic Reds:

http://pages.prodigy.net/macknife13/75reds.jpg

What we saw yesterday was the same nonsense we have all been sitting through for 10 years and counting. The "little red wagon" is right. I miss the Machine. Courage, Charisma, Talent, Amphetamines, ...well, 3 out of 4 were good. Oh yeah, and they won. A lot. I don't know what I have been watching for the past 10 years but after a while it all starts to look like 1982. Maybe Tom Hume really is the answer to our bullpen woes?

AmarilloRed
08-30-2007, 02:04 AM
Amen.

Every time I see The Magic Man coming in, I know its an automatic notch in the win column.

And Coffey. So much potential. Maybe if he ran a little faster to the mound, that would push him over the edge, spilling onto greatness. Pay attention folks, you are watching a future HOFer. Wait a minute, if he really is a lock for the HOF... I wonder why he even bothers hustling then? That's KGJ 101.

Stanton? Why I bet he could pitch ANOTHER 65 years easily. Watching him pitch...he makes it look so easy. Perfection should be so attainable.

The others deserve all that. Gary Majewski has been effective in August, and should continue to do well in September. I think he could be an effective reliever for the Reds next year.

jmac
08-31-2007, 11:38 AM
The others deserve all that. Gary Majewski has been effective in August, and should continue to do well in September. I think he could be an effective reliever for the Reds next year.

He continues to scare me when he comes in because he ,like coffey, seems to hittable.
Burton last night impressed me after giving up a run, bouncing back like he did.

Dunner44
08-31-2007, 02:08 PM
He continues to scare me when he comes in because he ,like coffey, seems to hittable.
Burton last night impressed me after giving up a run, bouncing back like he did.

Majik is a ground ball pitcher, like Coffey.

See proof below:

Majik in 2006 - 84 GO to 48 AO - 1.85 ratio (34 Ks)
50% of his outs came via the ground ball
Majik in 2007 - 29 Go to 17 AO - 1.88 ratio (7 Ks)
55% of his outs came via the ground ball
Coffey in 2006 - 104 GO to 66 AO - 1.71 ratio (60 Ks)
45% of his outs came via the gound ball
Coffey in 2007 - 66 GO to 32 AO - 2.38 ratio (36 Ks)
49% of his outs came via the ground ball

These are "pitch-to-contact" guys more than anything else. Dan-O would be proud. So, as I see it, the point is to be hittable. When it's hit at defenders, swell. When it's hit over the fence, not so good.

jmac
08-31-2007, 02:36 PM
When it's hit over the fence, not so good.

or in the gap , or down the line, or off the wall, or oh well unless you have a Brandon Webb sinker, I am not a big fan of the pitch contact thing.