PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday August 29th minor league updates

OnBaseMachine
08-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Cueto is pitching tonight for Chattanooga. Frazier is hitting 6th and playing SS for Dayton.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:03 PM
well isn't someone a fast typer?

OnBaseMachine
08-29-2007, 08:04 PM
well isn't someone a fast typer?

No you're just slower than the seven year itch.:D;)

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Interesting. Richie Gardner was listed as the probably starter tonight for Louisville and Kirk Saarloos is making the start. Hope its nothing major.

OnBaseMachine
08-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Joey Votto doubles in his first atbat.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Votto's double shows up on the Gameday as being over the fence, but it was not a ground rule double. Must have hit it off the wall.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Also, www.lookouts.com for anyone who wants to listen to the Chattanooga game with Johnny Cueto pitching.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Dayton game being delayed by rain, as is Sarasota.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:23 PM
Adam Rosales pounds a 2 run HR and Chattanooga leads 2-0.

Blue
08-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Interesting. Richie Gardner was listed as the probably starter tonight for Louisville and Kirk Saarloos is making the start. Hope its nothing major.

Maybe Gardner is starting for the Reds on Saturday, although I figured it would be Victor Santos.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Maybe Gardner is starting for the Reds on Saturday, although I figured it would be Victor Santos.

I doubt it. Gardner has been pitching 4 inning games and has an ERA around 6.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Bats take a 2-0 lead thanks to an error by the 3B. Bases loaded for Joey Votto.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Votto grounds out to end the inning.

Johnny Cueto about to take the mound for the Lookouts.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Johnny Cueto - 1st inning

Batter 1 - Ball low. Ball inside. Strike looking. Pop up to Danny Dorn in shallow LF. 1 out.

Batter 2- 91 MPH strike 1 looking. Foul ball. Foul ball. 93 MPH FB, Foul again. Ball inside. Pop up to Mike Griffin. 2 out.

Batter 3 - Foul ball straight back. Up and in, ball. Strike looking. Just outside, ball. 93 MPH, foul. Strike three on a check swing.

Redman15
08-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Dayton is under way. Sarasota leads 1-0 B1.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Johnny Cueto - 2nd inning

Batter 1- Ball. Swinging strike. Check swing, strike. Swing and a miss on a curve. 1 out.

Batter 2- Ball inside. Outside, ball. Up and in, ball. Strike. Ball 4.

Batter 3- Foul ball. Low, ball. Pick off and got him, 2 outs. Foul ball. Outside, ball. Inside, full count. Swing and a miss on a curveball.

OnBaseMachine
08-29-2007, 08:53 PM
Rosales is having a heck of a year. I'd like to see him given the opportunity to win a job with the Reds out of spring training next season.

BTW did Cueto develop a curveball? I always thought he threw a nasty slider and changup.

11larkin11
08-29-2007, 08:54 PM
Frazier doubles on the first pitch he sees

OnBaseMachine
08-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Why did you guys just sit there and let me eat those 20 hot wings just now?

Frazier just keeps on hitting. He needs to start in Sarasota next season.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Rosales is having a heck of a year. I'd like to see him given the opportunity to win a job with the Reds out of spring training next season.

BTW did Cueto develop a curveball? I always thought he threw a nasty slider and changup.

I wonder if the announcer is just calling his slider a curve? If the night continues and I don't hear him mention a slider, that is what I would have to guess.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Why did you guys just sit there and let me eat those 20 hot wings just now?

Frazier just keeps on hitting. He needs to start in Sarasota next season.

If you would have told me, I would have tried to talk you out of it.

OnBaseMachine
08-29-2007, 08:59 PM
If you would have told me, I would have tried to talk you out of it.

Get the waterhose ready.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Danny Dorn RBI single that scores Drew Anderson. 3-0 Lookouts.

11larkin11
08-29-2007, 09:00 PM
You guys listen to Sarasota, I'll listen to Dayton. Cueto in Chattanooga is old news, Frazier in Dayton is the new hip thing:D

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 09:01 PM
LOL, I like the Chattanooga broadcaster. Not sure why, but he just sounds like a baseball announcer.

11larkin11
08-29-2007, 09:05 PM
E6 on Frazier...Nevermind, went right under his glove, he was caught looking up too fast, but they called it a basehit.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Louisville tied at 2.

11larkin11
08-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Yea but the first of the two doubles Saarloos gave up was due to fan interference

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Johnny Cueto - 3rd inning

Batter 1 - Ball. Strike looking. inside, ball. Foul ball. Ball low. Foul. Foul. High, ball 4.

Batter 2 - Foul ball. Swing and a miss on a breaking ball. Low, ball. Wild pitch, runner to second. Foul. Foul tip strike three.

Batter 3 - Ball. Strike swinging. Strike 2 looking. Ground ball single to LF. Runners on the corners.

Batter 4 - Inside corner, strike 1. Ball. Announcer note 'Cueto is not throwing as much breaking stuff as usual'. Strike looking. Ball on the outside, announcer disagrees. Fly to left field, Dorn makes the throw home but not in time. 3-1 Lookouts. 2 outs.

Batter 5 - Fly out to deep OF but the inning is over.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Johnny Cueto - 4th inning

Batter 1 - Breaking ball strike 1. 'Big Sweeping Curveball' swing and a miss strike 2. Swing and a miss, strike 3.

Batter 2 - Called strike. Strike 2 swing. Foul ball. Chopper to first. 2 outs.

Batter 3 - Up and in, ball. Base hit that 'almost knocked Griffin down'.

Batter 4 - Foul straight back. Swing and a miss on a breaking ball. Foul. Inside, ball. Foul. 92 MPH swing and a miss. 6 strikeouts for Cueto through 4.

Sorry guys, I have to head out for a few, so this is my last inning. Hopefully Cueto continues to pitch well.

mth123
08-29-2007, 09:35 PM

Agree. My preseaon pick was Carlos Fisher, but Rosales is the biggest climber in the organizational prospect rankings in my book. Dorn would be a close second.

Suddenly the Reds have a few cheap position players ready to assume a role in Cincy while more expensive guys can be shipped off to help the team reload. Beyond Bruce and Votto, Rosales, Dorn and Dickerson could all be playing roles in Cincy next year. That is in addition of course to Hamilton, Keppinger, Cantu, Hopper and Pedro Lopez. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tatum or Perez as an option as a back-up catcher by mid-2008 either.

The major league team has been held back in part by poor decicions on questionable vets. Hopefully the progress made by the organization in 2007 will make it easier to say no to these mistakes this winter.

Prf15
08-29-2007, 09:43 PM
I have seen alot of people praising Pedro Lopez. From the games I have watched he is very good in the field but lacks a bat. Is this the book on him or was it just a small sample size?

OnBaseMachine
08-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Cueto struckout two more in the 5th inning.

5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 8 K

His command is a little off tonight, which is very unusual for him. He came into tonight allowing only 1.88 walks per nine innings.

OnBaseMachine
08-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Brad Salmon: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K as the Reds continue stretching him out for some reason.

Danny Dorn is 2-for-3 with a double and single for Chattanooga.

mth123
08-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Brad Salmon: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K as the Reds continue stretching him out for some reason.

"We need some one who can give us length out there."

We praise thee Brad. Deliver us from Saarloos and Santos.

OnBaseMachine
08-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Cueto: 6 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 9 K

He's got 20 strikeouts in his last 12 innings pitched.

Prf15
08-29-2007, 10:11 PM

Salmon used to be a starter. He last was a starter in 2002 for Dayton.

SMcGavin
08-29-2007, 10:19 PM
"We need some one who can give us length out there."

We praise thee Brad. Deliver us from Saarloos and Santos.

Well said, if I had to pick 7 guys for next year's pen right now Salmon would be one of them. That holds true whether he's a 1 inning guy or a long guy.

OnBaseMachine
08-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Brandon Waring just launched yet another HR tonight in his first atbat, a 2-run shot. That is Waring's 17th homer of the year and 9th in 10 games.

Prf15
08-29-2007, 10:27 PM
Brandon Waring just launched yet another HR tonight in his first atbat, a 2-run shot. That is Waring's 17th homer of the year and 9th in 10 games.

Him and Francisco have amazing power.

Prf15
08-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Jukich: 4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K

Szymanski: 3-3, 3B, 4 RBI

Mario-Rijo
08-29-2007, 10:54 PM
Him and Francisco have amazing power.

Which begs the question, who is the 3rd bagger at Dayton next year? Francisco, Waring or Bartles?

Superdude
08-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Which begs the question, who is the 3rd bagger at Dayton next year? Francisco, Waring or Bartles?

Why would Francisco go back to Dayton? I would imagine Francisco in Sarasota and Waring in Dayton. Not sure where Bartles fits in. I'm predicting 50 homers out of Waring though no matter where he starts.

RedsFanatic
08-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Francisco to Sarasota.

Mario-Rijo
08-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Why would Francisco go back to Dayton? I would imagine Francisco in Sarasota and Waring in Dayton. Not sure where Bartles fits in. I'm predicting 50 homers out of Waring though no matter where he starts.

Really, hmmm. I have thought all along this year that Juan needs another half year in Dayton minimum. His plate discipline and defense need alot of work. Sending him to Sarasota with that plate discpline could be disastrous.

kcjones
08-29-2007, 11:11 PM
The Sarasota Reds are ahead 13 - 2 in the bottom of the 8th.

Benihana
08-29-2007, 11:15 PM
I don't think it matters whether Francisco is in Dayton or Sarasota, I don't think he'll be playing 3B for much longer. I say move him to 1B or a corner OF spot beginning next Spring Training, with Edwin, Frazier and Waring, I think there's already enough organizational depth there, and Juan clearly doesn't have the fielding prowess to remain there anyway.

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 11:19 PM
If Juan Francisco is back in Dayton again next year I am going to go choke someone.

Mario-Rijo
08-29-2007, 11:26 PM
If Juan Francisco is back in Dayton again next year I am going to go choke someone.

How about Juan? 153 K's this yr and 22 BB's and you wanna see him move up to a league which is historically tougher on offensive games? Ok well when he struggles there let's not jump all over anyone in the organization for taking such sound advice from it's fans.

Reds Freak
08-29-2007, 11:37 PM

Danny Dorn is 2-for-3 with a double and single for Chattanooga.

Is there any possibility they are stretching him out to try him in a rotation next year sort of like Matt Belisle? Someone mentioned he was a starter in Dayton a few years back. I'm sure there was a reason he was moved to the bullpen but his past few 3 inning stints have been very good. He might be an interesting name to throw into the mix next year to compete for that 5th starter spot if he could do it and if not he would make a nice swing and long man out of the pen...

dougdirt
08-29-2007, 11:39 PM
How about Juan? 153 K's this yr and 22 BB's and you wanna see him move up to a league which is historically tougher on offensive games? Ok well when he struggles there let's not jump all over anyone in the organization for taking such sound advice from it's fans.

Would I love to see him cut down on the strikeouts and add some more walks? Absolutely. However I don't know if keeping him in a league that he is leading in HR as a 20 year old is the best plan for him. He is going to have to learn to not swing at everything, but I don't think moving up a league or staying in a league is going to make that happen. Its something that he needs to make happen and the league will have no bearing on it.

11larkin11
08-29-2007, 11:40 PM
If you are going to keep him in Dayton, which I wouldnt TOTALLY be against (thought Id just as much like to see him in Sarasota), move him to 1st or a COF spot.

mth123
08-29-2007, 11:42 PM
Would I love to see him cut down on the strikeouts and add some more walks? Absolutely. However I don't know if keeping him in a league that he is leading in HR as a 20 year old is the best plan for him. He is going to have to learn to not swing at everything, but I don't think moving up a league or staying in a league is going to make that happen. Its something that he needs to make happen and the league will have no bearing on it.

Agree. If he stays in the league he can already handle with his free swinging style, he may just fall into an "ain't broke don't fix it rut" and never be motivated to change. I say move him up.

IslandRed
08-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Is there any possibility they are stretching him out to try him in a rotation next year sort of like Matt Belisle? Someone mentioned he was a starter in Dayton a few years back. I'm sure there was a reason he was moved to the bullpen but his past few 3 inning stints have been very good. He might be an interesting name to throw into the mix next year to compete for that 5th starter spot if he could do it and if not he would make a nice swing and long man out of the pen...

Just my opinion, I don't think they're looking at him as a rotation candidate, but if he hasn't cracked the 7/8/9 roles yet (Bray and Burton are ahead on him on the pecking order, and Weathers is still here), the remaining reliever spots need guys who can go multiple innings if need be. I think they're trying to find out how well he does multiple-inning outings and how quickly he can bounce back.

mth123
08-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Just my opinion, I don't think they're looking at him as a rotation candidate, but if he hasn't cracked the 7/8/9 roles yet (Bray and Burton are ahead on him on the pecking order, and Weathers is still here), the remaining reliever spots need guys who can go multiple innings if need be. I think they're trying to find out how well he does multiple-inning outings and how quickly he can bounce back.

Exactly.

BigRed07
08-30-2007, 01:07 AM
Waring hit 2 more bombs tonight for Billings giving him 18 in 64 games. I think he is ready for Dayton's DH spot in the playoffs.

Superdude
08-30-2007, 02:17 AM
Waring is my #1 prospect. Move over Jay. ;)

New Fever
08-30-2007, 02:21 AM
Waring has been very impressive, he is hitting around .475 in the last ten games, with 4 games with 2 homeruns. He is too advanced for the pioneer league.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-30-2007, 02:30 AM
He is too advanced for the pioneer league.

I agree. I'm not sure why both he and Frazier haven't been moved up especially given their college experience.

dougdirt
08-30-2007, 02:36 AM
Frazier actually did move up. He went 1-4 with a double tonight for the Dayton Dragons.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-30-2007, 02:38 AM
Frazier actually did move up. He went 1-4 with a double tonight for the Dayton Dragons.

Ah thanks, when did this happen?

Cyclone792
08-30-2007, 02:38 AM

I'd send Frazier and Francisco both to Sarasota, and I'd move Francisco off of 3B and over to either 1B or a corner OF slot. I'm undecided if Waring should head to Dayton or Sarasota. I would send Bartles to Dayton.

Frazier was a big time college hitter who takes a ton of walks and has destroyed the Pioneer League much like Dorn destroyed the Pioneer League last season (though Dorn was a complete beast last season). My take is once it's obvious a guy like Frazier has been able to get acclimated to wood bats and made the transition, he can be pushed a bit faster since he was a big time college hitter.

A key question is should Waring head to Sarasota with Frazier?

Of course, if Frazier, Waring and Francisco all head to Sarasota, there's an issue on what to do with Valaika and Turner in the Sarasota infield. Turner will be 23 in November, but just got promoted to Sarasota. Valaika's younger and raked at Dayton, but he's been awful so far in Sarasota. Does one of them start the year at Chattanooga? If not, then somebody in that infield among Frazier, Waring, Turner, and Valaika better find an outfield glove. I'd rather not hold Frazier or Waring back at Dayton just because they're stuck behind Valaika/Turner.

Cozart's also probably in the mix, but he's been awful so far in Dayton so I'm guessing there's no worries about him moving up anytime soon.

The Reds are in a nice position of having some very interesting infield prospects in the mix. Hopefully each guy gets sent where the Reds believe they really belong rather than somebody starting out at a level they shouldn't be at because of depth issues at the level where they really should be at.

dougdirt
08-30-2007, 02:40 AM
Ah thanks, when did this happen?

Tonight was his first game.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-30-2007, 02:42 AM
If not, then somebody in that infield among Frazier, Waring, Turner, and Valaika better find an outfield glove.

My money is on Waring given the little I've seen. He's been somewhat of a butcher down at third. Plus, he K's a lot, has solid OB skills and massive power. If he moved to LF we would have an Adam Dunn replacement:p:

Cyclone792
08-30-2007, 02:53 AM
My money is on Waring given the little I've seen. He's been somewhat of a butcher down at third. Plus, he K's a lot, has solid OB skills and massive power. If he moved to LF we would have an Adam Dunn replacement:p:

Fair enough then on Waring.

How about Heisey? He's only had about 50 PAs in Sarasota this season. Does he stay there coming out of spring training? I suppose it's also very possible (probable even?) that Stubbs comes out of spring training in Sarasota.

Think about that possibility ... Francisco (1B), Turner, Valaika, Frazier in the Sarasota infield with Stubbs, Waring, and Heisey in the Sarasota outfield (or send Waring to 1B and Francisco to the corner OF). Regardless, in terms of position player prospects, that would be one heck of a team to follow coming out of spring training.

DoogMinAmo
08-30-2007, 03:55 AM
Fair enough then on Waring.

How about Heisey? He's only had about 50 PAs in Sarasota this season. Does he stay there coming out of spring training? I suppose it's also very possible (probable even?) that Stubbs comes out of spring training in Sarasota.

Think about that possibility ... Francisco (1B), Turner, Valaika, Frazier in the Sarasota infield with Stubbs, Waring, and Heisey in the Sarasota outfield (or send Waring to 1B and Francisco to the corner OF). Regardless, in terms of position player prospects, that would be one heck of a team to follow coming out of spring training.

Wayne is increasing the talent level at both the major and minor leagues. Why does he continue to get a bad wrap?

PuffyPig
08-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Wayne is increasing the talent level at both the major and minor leagues. Why does he continue to get a bad wrap?

Because of (1) the Kearns/Lopez trade, which has actually turned out OK; and (2) keeping players like Castro and Ellison. It used to be Hopper, but now he's OK too.

lollipopcurve
08-30-2007, 10:23 AM

I agree that the minor leagues are looking quite a bit better. The transformation of the Chattanooga squad has been especially interesting lately.

Wayne is criticized harshly because, like anywhere, fans think they know better. The more things change, the more fans stay the same.

Benihana
08-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Because of (1) the Kearns/Lopez trade, which has actually turned out OK; and (2) keeping players like Castro and Ellison. It used to be Hopper, but now he's OK too.

If those are the worst attributes of a GM, I'll take him. Especially when you look at what he has brought in. I think Wayne gets a horrendously bad yet completely undeseserved rap around these parts.

The talent pool has increased significantly at the major league level.
The talent pool has increased significantly at the minor league level.

Isn't that about all you can ask for out of your GM?

Benihana
08-30-2007, 10:56 AM
FWIW, here's how I would start next year:

Sarasota:
1B Francisco
2B Turner
SS Valaika
3B Frazier
OF: Heisy
Stubbs
Kainer
DH: L.Parker

Dayton:
1B: Waring
2B: Gaffney
SS: Cozart
3B: Bartles
OF: Soto
J.Reed
K.Jones
DH: M.McKennon

(assuming Bartles is a better fielder than Soto; you could flip/flop Soto and Waring)

lollipopcurve
08-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Sarasota:
1B Francisco
2B Turner
SS Valaika
3B Frazier
OF: Heisy
Stubbs
Kainer
DH: L.Parker

Dayton:
1B: Waring
2B: Gaffney
SS: Cozart
3B: Bartles
OF: Soto
J.Reed
K.Jones
DH: M.McKennon

(assuming Bartles is a better fielder than Soto; you could flip/flop Soto and Waring)

Parker also played some OF at UC so you can work him in out there, too. Gaffney has been converted to pitcher. I think you'll see Angel Cabrera at Dayton. And I'm not sure they'll push Soto or even Reed there right away. Brandon Menchaca has had some good moments in Billings this summer -- I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in the Dayton OF.

What about catchers? I'd assume Esquer/Rodriguez in Sarasota and some combination of Long/Bour/Meade in Dayton.

Benihana
08-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Parker also played some OF at UC so you can work him in out there, too. Gaffney has been converted to pitcher. I think you'll see Angel Cabrera at Dayton. And I'm not sure they'll push Soto or even Reed there right away. Brandon Menchaca has had some good moments in Billings this summer -- I wouldn't be surprised to see him starting in the Dayton OF.

What about catchers? I'd assume Esquer/Rodriguez in Sarasota and some combination of Long/Bour/Meade in Dayton.

Wow, I didn't realize that about Gaffney. Thanks for the info.

Where do you think Soto will end up?

lollipopcurve
08-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Where do you think Soto will end up?

First, I'd like to know why he hasn't been playing. If he's got a significant injury, it'll delay his development, obviously. But I suspect we'd have heard if that was the case. Assuming he's OK, I will guess it'll be Billings. But I do think he's got the best chance of any of the young guys (including Lotzkar) of going to Dayton because his bat looks like it may be really good.

Benihana
08-30-2007, 12:28 PM
First, I'd like to know why he hasn't been playing. If he's got a significant injury, it'll delay his development, obviously. But I suspect we'd have heard if that was the case. Assuming he's OK, I will guess it'll be Billings. But I do think he's got the best chance of any of the young guys (including Lotzkar) of going to Dayton because his bat looks like it may be really good.

Right, I was actually more curious as to where on the diamond you think he'll end up. Doesn't sound like he's got the glove for SS, and with the glut at 3B (Francisco/Waring/Bartles/Frazier) I'd guess its either 1B, 2B or the OF.

lollipopcurve
08-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Right, I was actually more curious as to where on the diamond you think he'll end up. Doesn't sound like he's got the glove for SS, and with the glut at 3B (Francisco/Waring/Bartles/Frazier) I'd guess its either 1B, 2B or the OF.

Yeah, he'll likely move, but like Frazier, it may not be right away. I think they like to keep guys at SS for a year or two if they can. So, I think it's feasible that to start 08 Frazier will be at SS at Dayton and Soto will be at SS when Billings opens. But, down the road, when/if he moves, as you say -- my guess is LF, but I keep him in the 3B hunt. No way on 2B.

Benihana
08-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah, he'll likely move, but like Frazier, it may not be right away. I think they like to keep guys at SS for a year or two if they can. So, I think it's feasible that to start 08 Frazier will be at SS at Dayton and Soto will be at SS when Billings opens. But, down the road, when/if he moves, as you say -- my guess is LF, but I keep him in the 3B hunt. No way on 2B.

Yeah, thats what I thought. I think 2B is locked up for the next decade with Phillips, and Valaika and Turner coming up behind him.

3B will be more interesting, with EdE and Keppinger at the major league level, and then Brandon Waring, Todd Frazier, Brett Bartles, Neftali Soto, and Juan Francisco (although I think he'll be moved soon) all battling it out in the minors.

Adam Rosales also could fill in at either position, although I'm guessing his primary postion in the big leagues will be 1B.

As far as SS goes, I think that Janish and Cozart are the only true shortstops to watch in the system. I don't know enough about Kahuleio (sp?), but I believe he missed this year after breaking his leg (or ankle?) right after signing.

New Fever
08-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Also scouts opinions sometimes change from year to year on what position a player might end up at. An example would be Bill Rowell from last year's draft, most scouts thought he would have to move off 3rd base to 1st base or LF. Now scouts are saying that he probably will stick at 3rd.

Xavier Redleg
08-30-2007, 06:27 PM
As long as he doesn't get any bigger (there's no way he is the 180 lbs that he's listed at on milb.com), I see no reason to move Francisco off 3rd. Sure, he needs work, but like Doug said a little while back, it's damn near impossible to find a 20 year old 3rd baseman that doesn't need work defensively. On the positive side, he has decent instincts at 3rd - I've seen him make a few Edwin-like diving stops, and I don't get to see many Dragon games. Yet he doesn't have great range, and he makes a fair amount of mistakes (23 errors), both fielding and throwing. But I looked into it further and found that in the Dragons' first 66 games, Francisco made 18 errors, while in the Dragons' last 69 games, he's made only 5 errors. So he has made great strides this year, and as a 20 year old in A-ball, he's got time to improve a lot more. And if you have to move him off 3rd, there is no way you waste his cannon of an arm at 1st.

Superdude
08-30-2007, 07:09 PM
As long as he doesn't get any bigger (there's no way he is the 180 lbs that he's listed at on milb.com), I see no reason to move Francisco off 3rd.

I think people are jumping to that conclusion to soon also. If size moves him into the outfield, that's fine, but if you're gonna move him just because of the errors, keep in mind that Encarnacion made 40 errors in Dayton. I'm with you though. I don't know who weighed him, but I think they should be fired immediately and ben sent back to medical school. Ryan Freel weighs 184!

reds44
08-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Francisco's not that big, at all. He actually reminds me of Edwin body-size wise, and probably smaller.