PDA

View Full Version : Put a shirt on!!!

westofyou
08-30-2007, 10:23 AM
WATSON'S VISIT IRKS FRANCONA
(http://www.nypost.com/seven/08302007/sports/yankees/watsons_visit_irks_francona.htm)

August 30, 2007 -- Tired of repeated warnings falling on deaf ears, The Post has learned Bob Watson entered the Red Sox dugout during last night's game to talk to Terry Francona about not wearing a uniform jersey while managing. Francona opts for a red pullover, which is sanctioned by MLB properties.

Upon seeing baseball's top cop, who was ushered into the dugout by an MLB resident security agent, Francona snapped at Watson.

"Get out of the dugout during the game," Francona firmly told Watson, who left.

Watson, a vice president of on-field operations, has warned and fined coaches and managers for wearing a pullover instead of a jersey. He recently docked Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long $1,000 for not wearing a jersey.

IIRC the first manager to thumb his nose at the jersey requirement was our very own Pete Rose, who got a little thicker after he finally hung em up, it was not unusual for the NL office to occasionally try and get Pete to don the double knit a little more.

He wasn't buying it, thus the deluge baggy, glad bag jackets around the game.

Unassisted
08-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Bud probably won't take kindly to one of his minions getting snapped at for enforcing the rules. I predict a fine bigger than the aformentioned $1K will result.

westofyou
08-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Bud probably won't take kindly to one of his minions getting snapped at for enforcing the rules. I predict a fine bigger than the aformentioned $1K will result.

Bud will have a fight on his hands, walking into the dugout to enforce a dressing rule for a staff member?

Shades of the NFL and their idiotic dress rules.

There is a office in the clubhouse for the guys in the suits, the dugout is for the team.

redsmetz
08-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Boy, would this guy be in trouble

http://www.philadelphiaathletics.org/images/mack/ConnieMack6.jpg

BCubb2003
08-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Boy, would this guy be in trouble

http://www.philadelphiaathletics.org/images/mack/ConnieMack6.jpg

I was just about to post this one:

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/photos/Mack_Thomas_McInnis.jpg

Falls City Beer
08-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Don't blame Francona one little bit. Watson'd be persona non grata in that organization if I were the owner--until an apology was issued by Mr. Watson for interfering with Francona's ability to perform his paid-for duties.

Raisor
08-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I've always thought it was dumb for managers/coaches to wear uniforms.

Danny Serafini
08-30-2007, 11:43 AM

It's sort of goofy, but at the same time I can't imagine the 1st base coach wearing a suit.

KronoRed
08-30-2007, 11:53 AM

Agreed, I like the idea of a suit, with matching vest :D

RANDY IN INDY
08-30-2007, 11:53 AM
If Watson is going to set that kind of precedent, he better start looking at the players as well. Francona is not the only manager, that I see, wearing something other than a jersey. I don't think it was right for Watson to go in the dugout during the game. Bush league. What happened, all of a sudden, to make them want to go hard after uniform infractions? There are plenty out there if they want to go "All NFL" on everybody.

cincinnati chili
08-30-2007, 12:08 PM
There was some comedian who said it would be cool to see Joe Paterno and Lou Holtz wearing a football helmet during the game.

I'm partial to Rick Majerus in those 70's style short-shorts.

RichRed
08-30-2007, 12:13 PM
I think coaches in uniform is a super idea.

http://espn.go.com/media/pg2/2005/1205/photo/g_karl_195.jpg

BCubb2003
08-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Managers do have to go onto the field during the game, unlike other coaches in other sports.

Team Clark
08-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Watson was out of line for going into the dugout during a game. I really don't care how strongly he feels about the situation he could have waited. In the past Bob Watson has been very power hungry and it looks like that has not faded one bit.

Personally I could care less if Francona, Leyland, Scioscia or any other manager doesn't want to wear their uniform. What's the difference? He's not going to pitch, hit, or enter the game. I remember the Reds MADE Don Gullett wear his uniform shirt for a special ceremony. He remarked later that he had only worn the uniform top 3 or 4 times since becoming a Reds' coach.

Ltlabner
08-30-2007, 01:07 PM
If the pullover is sanctioned by MLB, what's the issue? As long as the manager looks professional, who gives a rip if it's the uni top, a nice pullover with baseball pants, or a suit?

And going in the dougout durring a game? What a jerk.

RedsFan75
08-30-2007, 02:13 PM
I prefer the pullovers than the jersey for the coaches... Think Lou Pinella in that Cubs Jersey on opening day!!! Pullover would have been much better.

nate
08-30-2007, 02:28 PM
[disturbing mental image]

Don Zimmer, 2007 in a 1975 White Sox uniform.

[/disturbing mental image]

M2
08-30-2007, 02:33 PM
If the pullover is sanctioned by MLB, what's the issue? As long as the manager looks professional, who gives a rip if it's the uni top, a nice pullover with baseball pants, or a suit?

And going in the dougout durring a game? What a jerk.

Hey, what team did Bob Watson used to be the GM for? I believe therein lies your answer as to why Francona's pullover was such a pressing issue last night.

NJReds
08-30-2007, 02:38 PM
They may want Watson in the Red Sox dugout today with a uniform. Perhaps he could do better than the Red Sox lineup so far today.

Ltlabner
08-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Hey, what team did Bob Watson used to be the GM for? I believe therein lies your answer as to why Francona's pullover was such a pressing issue last night.

Are you implying that the Yankes get a little fussy about the appearance of their players/manager whilst they are on the field?

Shocking!

Unassisted
08-30-2007, 02:51 PM

I interpreted that word "sanctioned" in the article to mean that Francona's pullover was an officially-licensed MLB garment, not that his wearing it was sanctioned by MLB rules.

The Red Sox pants below are probably every bit as "sanctioned" as Francona's pullover and might look just dandy with it, but I doubt he'd be allowed to wear them in the dugout, either.

http://www.yawkeywaystore.com/images/products/SH0221.gif

M2
08-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Are you implying that the Yankes get a little fussy about the appearance of their players/manager whilst they are on the field?

Shocking!

No, I'm saying Bob Watson figured he'd mess with the Red Sox during a game against his former team. Joe Torre adheres to the exact same dress code most of the time (though not today I notice).

BoydsOfSummer
09-01-2007, 02:34 AM
I think all coaches and managers should dress like George Foster did for Concepcion's night.

GAC
09-01-2007, 04:28 AM
There is an appropriate place and time to do that, and it's not during game time. Way out of line IMO.

I'd have to give Watson a George Costanza response.... "The jerkstore called and they are running out of you!" ;)

creek14
09-01-2007, 08:29 AM
If only MLB would be as aggressive in their quest to remove steroids from the game.

KronoRed
09-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Steroids brings in money, managers in pullovers bring in...pull oversales :D

KoryMac5
09-01-2007, 03:23 PM
From what Buster Olney reported on MIke and Mike it was not Bob Watson who went into the dugout during the game. It was another representative from the league. I think Watson who has played the game and worked for a few clubs would have a lil more common sense than that. With that being said if Watson was the guy who issued the order to check Francona than he should have been more specific in when to do it.

RedFanAlways1966
09-01-2007, 04:37 PM
With that being said if Watson was the guy who issued the order to check Francona than he should have been more specific in when to do it.

I don't agree with going into the dugout during the game at all. However, can you punish the guy unless you technically bust him sometime while the game is officially being played (1st pitch to last pitch)? Unless there is a rule that says all personnel must be in proper uniform so many minutes before the 1st pitch. Gotta believe that Francona would claim that the jersey was on below the pullover if not caught red(sox)-handed.

A rule is a rule. Perhaps the rule is wrong, but a rule should be followed. Get the rule changed, but do not break the rule. Not sure how to bust people in the proper way. Seems the only way is the way it was done. But I do not like anyone being in the dugout who is not a member of the organization. How do you enforce it?

camisadelgolf
09-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Covington.

jmcclain19
09-03-2007, 03:09 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about Covington.

And I thought this thread was going to be related to something like this

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6353/jetsfans4qi.jpg

Seriously - bravo to Francona for standing up to the MLB brass - it's long past the time to abolish the skippers in unis rule.

KronoRed
09-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Darn you to depths McClain :bleaches eyes: