PDA

View Full Version : Dumatrait for Saturday

Matt700wlw
08-30-2007, 11:27 PM
There you go.

Eric_Davis
08-30-2007, 11:29 PM
They no they're in a pennant race. They must have seen something that indicates the results might be different this time. He obviously has been extremely nervous, and maybe that's all it has been.

guttle11
08-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Seriously?

Matt700wlw
08-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Seriously?

That's the word I'm getting...

(I think it's Saturday)

OldXOhio
08-30-2007, 11:32 PM
He obviously has been extremely nervous, and maybe that's all it has been.

or perhaps he's been extremely hittable
or extremely bad
or extremely Reds starting pitcher other than Harang & Arroyo like

oneupper
08-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Dumatrait had a decent start for the bats on Sunday.
No runs through 6 and then gave up a two-run homer and a double and was pulled.

Here's what he had to say:

"When I was up there, I was nitpicking too much and trying to make the perfect pitch instead of staying within myself," Dumatrait said. "The main goal (last night) was to throw, not just strikes, but quality strikes early in the count and to just pound the zone. And for the most part, I felt like I did that."

Hey...you never know.

RedFanAlways1966
08-30-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey...you never know.

I am with ya. Maybe Phil used Shearn's locker after he got called up to the big club. Shock me, Dumatrait.

fearofpopvol1
08-31-2007, 12:18 AM
I hope for the best, but at the very least...at least the bullpen is fairly well rested.

mbgrayson
08-31-2007, 12:21 AM
From Fay's blog:
"It's Dumatrait

The Reds announced after Thursday’s game that left-hander Phil Dumatrait will start Saturday’s game in the St. Louis.

Dumatrait made four starts for the Reds. He was 0-2 with a 14.18 ERA. He was pounded in three of the four.

He was optioned to Triple-A Louisville Aug. 21 after Pete Mackanin said he didn’t think Dumatrait was ready to compete at the big league level.

He’s made one start for the Bats, going 6 1/3 innings, allowing three runs on six hits, since being sent down. So he should be ready to face Albert Pujols now."

Reds have always liked lefties against St. Louis.....lol

Matt700wlw
08-31-2007, 12:28 AM
Jung-Kung Bong shut the Cardinals out once....

The mighty, unbeatable Cardinals...

redsfan4445
08-31-2007, 12:37 AM
would be nice to see a surprise waiver claim before the aug31st deadline though!!

KronoRed
08-31-2007, 02:22 AM
The mighty, unbeatable Cardinals...

Also known as the team in front of us..;)

Ron Madden
08-31-2007, 03:38 AM
Jung-Kung Bong shut the Cardinals out once.

I really hope I'm wrong but I don't think Dumatrait is gonna shut anybody out.

PuffyPig
08-31-2007, 10:18 AM
THe Cards struggle mightily vs. LH pitching, especially ones they haven't seen before.

If you have to start some chaff vs. the Cards, make it lefthanded. It generally keeps Edmonds, Duncan, and Ankiel out of the lineup in favor of Encarnacion, Taguchi and Ludwick.

Roy Tucker
08-31-2007, 11:02 AM
The Reds are really scraping the bottom of the barrel for starters.

Unless they call up Cueto or Maloney, they are just going to try and limp by with guys like Dumatrait, Shearn, Santos, etc etc. There just isn't anyone else.

registerthis
08-31-2007, 11:07 AM

Ya think?

BuckeyeRedleg
08-31-2007, 11:09 AM

Unless they call up Cueto or Maloney, they are just going to try and limp by with guys like Dumatrait, Shearn, Santos, etc etc. There just isn't anyone else.

I would have to think Maloney would give them a better shot than Dumatrait.

registerthis
08-31-2007, 11:27 AM
This does beg the question:

If, by some unfathomable stroke of luck, or divine intervention, the Reds manage to sneak into the playoffs this year, after Harang and Arroyo, who on earth are they going to run out there? Belisle? Dumatrait? Shearn?

The bottom 3/5ths of this rotation is an absolute mess. Where's Joey Hamilton and Steve Parris when you need them?

Roy Tucker
08-31-2007, 11:42 AM
The bottom 3/5ths of this rotation is an absolute mess. Where's Joey Hamilton and Steve Parris when you need them?

Over at Jimmy Hayne's house sitting on beanbag chairs watching the Reds on the tube drinking Keystone Light and eating Doritos.

For the playoffs, I'd pray for rain. If that doesn't work, I'd try Belisle.

I'm holding out hope for Dumatrait. He has a decent MLB start in him, it's just a matter of when.

I really want to be wrong, but I shudder to think about Shearn pitching to Cardinal hitters. They will have scouted him and will know about that big loopy curve and 88 mph fastball. However, I continue to have blind hope.

pahster
08-31-2007, 11:46 AM
I really want to be wrong, but I shudder to think about Shearn pitching to Cardinal hitters. They will have scouted him and will know about that big loopy curve and 88 mph fastball. However, I continue to have blind hope.

I'll be at the game tonight. Shearn vs Reyes? I'm expecting a lot of runs from both teams.

nate
08-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Over at Jimmy Hayne's house sitting on beanbag chairs watching the Reds on the tube drinking Keystone Light and eating Doritos.

At least they won't get bitter beer face.

WVRedsFan
08-31-2007, 12:02 PM

For the playoffs, I'd pray for rain. If that doesn't work, I'd try Belisle.

I'm holding out hope for Dumatrait. He has a decent MLB start in him, it's just a matter of when.

Ah, scouting. What a novel idea...:)

I've often wondered why we can't follow a scouting report or if we indeed have those things. Too many slow left-handers with obvious weaknesses kill us while everyone else bombs them.

I wonder.

M2
08-31-2007, 12:15 PM
The Reds should receive hand-written thank yous from everybody in the Cardinals organization for starting Shearn, Dumatrait and Ramirez this weekend.

PuffyPig
08-31-2007, 12:15 PM
I would have to think Maloney would give them a better shot than Dumatrait.

He would be starting on 3 days rest for his first time.

PuffyPig
08-31-2007, 12:18 PM
The Reds should receive hand-written thank yous from everybody in the Cardinals organization for starting Shearn, Dumatrait and Ramirez this weekend.

I think I must have missed why Arroyo has been moved back?

PuffyPig
08-31-2007, 12:20 PM

I've often wondered why we can't follow a scouting report or if we indeed have those things. Too many slow left-handers with obvious weaknesses kill us while everyone else bombs them.

I wonder.

I'm guessing that the Marlins also knew he threw a slow curve, or, if they didn't, they knew the second he threw one.

Just like I'm certian that we know that slow throwing lefties throw slowly and left. The Cards also can't hit he crappy slow lefties.

M2
08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
I think I must have missed why Arroyo has been moved back?

I don't know why, but ESPN's got Ramirez listed for Sunday. Maybe that's wrong and it will be Arroyo instead. Even if it is Arroyo, the Cards have to be of the mindset that they'll be playing for a sweep come Sunday.

westofyou
08-31-2007, 12:27 PM

I wonder.

"We"?

Are you on the team? Have you seen the scouting reports prior to a series? ;)

I sure do wish the Reds had a slow LH with the same weakness as Tom Gorzelanny

registerthis
08-31-2007, 12:33 PM

Egads, that's horrendous.

missionhockey21
08-31-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't know why, but ESPN's got Ramirez listed for Sunday. Maybe that's wrong and it will be Arroyo instead. Even if it is Arroyo, the Cards have to be of the mindset that they'll be playing for a sweep come Sunday.
I think this is due to the double-header with the Pirates (Lizard in game one, Arroyo in game two.) Maybe they know something we don't know, but they could simply be using the order in which they should go method.

lollipopcurve
08-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Maybe they know something we don't know, but they could simply be using the order in which they should go method.

ESPN.com is a poor source of accurate information about baseball. All year I've been going to MLB.com instead (anything but ESPN, folks!). They've got the matchups right.

Roy Tucker
08-31-2007, 01:06 PM
www.reds.com has Arroyo on Sunday 9/2

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/probable_pitchers.jsp?c_id=cin

PuffyPig
08-31-2007, 01:29 PM

It's not like the Cards are trotting out Gibson, Carlton and Carpenter.

All right handed.

Wainwright has been pitching well.

The Cards have won 3 of Reyes' 18 starts.

Looper is still Looper.

I'm guessing that Arroyo is pitching SUnday, becasue, for one thing, ramirez isn't even on the team (although I assume he an come back up on September 1).

I assume that ramirez and Dumatrait will share one spot depending on who's pitching better and the matchups. You can probably add Shearns into that mix.

M2
08-31-2007, 01:44 PM
It's not like the Cards are trotting out Gibson, Carlton and Carpenter.

All right handed.

Wainwright has been pitching well.

The Cards have won 3 of Reyes' 18 starts.

Looper is still Looper.

Don't need to have superstars in order to out-pitch Tom Shearn and Phil Dumatrait. It's baseball, anything can happen, but the Cardinals have been making a charge and the Reds are offering easy pickings in the first two games of the set.

Wainwright's been superb in the second half of the season. He's actually improved every month. Kid can pitch, time you gave him credit for it.

Arroyo's definitely an advantage over Looper, though the Birds are probably playing for something on Sunday (quite possibly for a game over .500 and spitting distance from the division lead). Bronson also had fatigue issues in his last start, so I wouldn't be counting on more than 6 IP from him on Sunday. That one might come down to bullpens.

fearofpopvol1
08-31-2007, 01:59 PM
Shearn looks a lot more hopeful than Dumatrait. At least his control looked good the last time around and he does have a putaway pitch. I feel like he'll give up some runs but he can at least be a guy who could keep us in the game. The fact that the Cards have never seen him pitch before should be a positive as well.

Chip R
08-31-2007, 02:58 PM
The fact that the Cards have never seen him pitch before should be a positive as well.

I'm guessing that the Cards have tape of Shearn against the Marlins and have already broke it down and done a scouting report.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-31-2007, 03:23 PM
He would be starting on 3 days rest for his first time.

I meant Maloney on 5 days rest, with him skipping his last AAA start.

KronoRed
08-31-2007, 03:25 PM

Well that's a bummer when you put them all together :(

Roy Tucker
08-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Well that's a bummer when you put them all together :(

Naaaah, after all this poor-mouthing, we'll have back-to-back-to-back shutouts.

:pray:

fearofpopvol1
08-31-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm guessing that the Cards have tape of Shearn against the Marlins and have already broke it down and done a scouting report.

While that may be true and will help, it's definitely not the same as actually facing the pitcher.

15fan
08-31-2007, 04:26 PM

In fairness, though, it could also mean that the Cards will have to face Arroyo and Harang when they come to Cincinnati 9/11-9/13.

Lull them into a false sense of security, then rip their hears out and stomp on them later in the month. I kinda like that prospect.

RedLegSuperStar
08-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Looks like Dumatrait isn't the only one being recalled:

C Trent -

Tomorrow, the Reds are expected to recall from Louisville LHP Phil Dumatrait and RHP Marcus McBeth.

Chip R
08-31-2007, 06:41 PM
While that may be true and will help, it's definitely not the same as actually facing the pitcher.

Well, ask Homer how his first start against the Cards went.

RedFanAlways1966
08-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Bad pitching? Ah, no big deal. ;)

The REDS are 17-10 in the month of August... with a team ERA of 5.62 (5.90 for starters). When you average 6.07 runs per game and only commit 8 errors in 27 games, you can overcome bad pitching from time to time.

marcshoe
08-31-2007, 09:31 PM
THe Cards struggle mightily vs. LH pitching, especially ones they haven't seen before.

So start Dunn. :p:

fearofpopvol1
09-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Well, ask Homer how his first start against the Cards went.

Every pitcher is going to have a bad outing here and there. That's bound to happen.