PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Phillips: the web gem that wasn't.

mbgrayson
08-31-2007, 12:14 AM
Watched ESPN Baseball Tonight just to see Phillips beautiful play again. I was sure it would be a web gem. Just watched the end of the show: it didn't make it. There was a nice catch by Corey Hart, Mike Lamb making a good play at 3rd, Kouzimanoff going in the stands to take a foul ball away from a fan, Aaron Rowand catching one against the wall, and Indians second baseman Cabrera bare handing a slow grounder to throw out Richie Sexson at 1st.

No Phillips gem! I am mad! His play was far better than any of their top 5!

John Fay's blog (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/) has it: "Brandon Phillips' play to end Thursday's game was a good as I've seen. And Phillips said it's as good as he's made.

“It’s probably the best of my career,” Phillips said. “Game on the line. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

If you agree, you can send ESPN a message through their online form located HERE (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv). They missed a great one tonight!

mbgrayson
08-31-2007, 12:44 AM
THe ESPN write-up on the game does rave about Phillips play. The story is HERE (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270830123).

A CLOSER LOOK
Ken
Griffey
• Summary: With Ken Griffey Jr. getting three hits and scoring twice, the Reds overcame Adam Dunn's baserunning blunder that cost them two runs, rallying from deficits of 2-0 and 4-3 to win their eighth in 10 games with a 5-4 victory over the Pirates.

• Did you see that? With the Reds up 5-4, Pirates pinch-hitter Josh Phelps doubled with two outs in the ninth. When Nate McLouth singled into short right field, it appeared Phelps would score easily. But second baseman Brandon Phillips hustled to run down the ball and, falling backward, made a strong throw that allowed catcher Javier Valentin to tag Phelps, who did not slide, about shoulder high.

• Figure this: Phillips had two singles and a double during his seventh consecutive multihit game, the most by a Cincinnati player since Chris Stynes had eight in 2000. Phillips is 16-for-30 during the streak.

• Quotable: "The greatest play of my career. It can't get no better than that." -- Phillips

-- ESPN.com news services

Reds 5, Pirates 4

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Cincinnati Reds won a game they probably should have lost because second baseman Brandon Phillips made a play nobody on either team thought he could make. Most of all, Phillips himself.

Josh Phelps was thrown out at the plate to end the game on Phillips' remarkable throw from right field and the Reds overcame Adam Dunn's baserunning mistake that cost them two runs to rally and beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 5-4 on Thursday night.

In a wild game, two plays occurred that no one on either side could remember seeing: a two-run single was wiped out because a runner didn't touch a base and a game ended when an infielder roamed into the outfield to throw out a runner at home.

"That's a great way to win the game," Reds interim manager Pete Mackanin said. Then, pausing for a second, he added, "And a tough way to lose it."

With the Reds up 5-4 after Alex Gonzalez scored from first base in the top of the inning on Ken Griffey Jr.'s pop-fly single to left field, pinch-hitter Phelps doubled with two outs against David Weathers. When Nate McLouth singled into short right field, it appeared Phelps would score easily.

But Phillips hustled to run down the ball and, falling backward, made a strong throw that allowed catcher Javier Valentin to tag Phelps about shoulder high. Phelps apparently thought he would score easily and, ignoring on-deck batter Jose Bautista's waving to get down, did not slide.

Pirates manager Jim Tracy called Phillips' play "incredible." Valentin said it was "amazing."

"I don't know if I've ever seen that play made," Tracy said. "Brandon Phillips did a tremendous job. He recovered and grabbed the ball on one hop, whirled and fired the ball right on line to home plate. Absolutely incredible."

Phillips called it "the greatest play of my career. It can't get no better than that."

What he couldn't believe was his blind, give-it-all-you've-got throw was only a little high.

"I knew it was going over his head or into the stands," Phillips said. "I didn't think it was going to go right at him, but it did."

There's more. That play might not have mattered if Dunn hadn't run the Reds out of two runs and a tie in the fourth.

With the bases loaded and Pittsburgh up 2-0, Griffey and Dunn came home standing up on Edwin Encarnacion's line drive to left field. But the Pirates successfully appealed that Dunn failed to touch third, and he was called out on what became a force play.

"I've never seen that, a call changed for missing a base," Pirates reliever Matt Capps said.

The ruling led to some brief confusion -- the scoreboard changed from 2-2 to 2-1, and finally, back to a 2-0 Pirates lead -- and prompted a long discussion between third base umpire Chris Guccione, crew chief Wally Bell and Mackanin. Tracy said the Pirates' bench and several players on the field saw Dunn miss the base by nearly a foot.

Baseball rule 7.12 states that when a runner misses a base: "If, upon appeal, the preceding runner is the third out, no runners following him shall score. If the third out is the result of a force play, neither preceding nor following runners shall score."

"I've seen plays appealed and guys miss a base, but never with the bases loaded," Mackanin said. "What a huge play that was. It's a force play to end the inning and nobody scores."

With Griffey getting three hits and scoring twice, the Reds came back from deficits of 2-0 and 4-3 to win their eighth in 10 games and split the four-game series despite being swept in a doubleheader Tuesday. The Pirates lost their fourth in 13 games.

Jared Burton (4-1) won despite allowing Bautista's two-run homer, his 13th, that put the Pirates up 4-3 in the seventh. Weathers pitched the ninth to get his 29th save in 34 opportunities but, he said, only because of Phillips.

"Minor leagues, major leagues, I've lost a bunch of games on that ball right there, but I've never been saved on one," Weathers said. "But then that whole game was like that."

In the top of the ninth, Griffey's blooper off Capps (4-6) couldn't be handled by shortstop Cesar Izturis, third baseman Bautista or left fielder Jason Bay, allowing Gonzalez to score from first. Izturis appeared to have a chance to make the play, but Bautista got in his way as Izturis stuck his glove out.

The Reds tied it in the eighth against Shawn Chacon on Encarnacion's RBI single -- his second hit of the game. If not for Dunn's mistake, it would have been his third.

Pittsburgh opened a 2-0 lead on Adam LaRoche's RBI single in the first and Freddy Sanchez's run-scoring double in the fifth, his second double of the game.

Game notes
The Reds are seven games back in the NL Central. ... Griffey's double was the 1,099th extra-base hit of his career, tying him with Eddie Murray for 15th place. ... Phillips had two singles and a double during his seventh consecutive multihit game, the most by a Reds player since Chris Stynes had eight in 2000. Phillips is 16-for-30 (.533) during the streak. ... The Reds won the season series 9-7. ... Dunn also had a two-base error for overrunning LaRoche's single to left.

nate
08-31-2007, 12:45 AM
It was the #1 top play on SC.

mbgrayson
08-31-2007, 12:54 AM
It was the #1 top play on SC.
Cool...We still need to campaign for Brandon to win the gold glove this year.

HumnHilghtFreel
08-31-2007, 01:55 AM
I don't think they even recapped the game on the show, unless I missed it.

The Baumer
08-31-2007, 02:43 AM
Are there any clips of the actual play? The only clips I've seen cut away to the third base runner right before he makes the throw and all you see is the ball sailing towards home plate.

StillFunkyB
08-31-2007, 06:01 AM
ESPN is teh suck.

No really, they are.

redsrule2500
08-31-2007, 07:21 AM
I hate ESPN. FSN Final Score FTW.

nate
08-31-2007, 07:44 AM
I guess it wasn't on BBT but I did see it as the top play on SC. Maybe they had taped BBT before the Reds game was in the can because Kruk had a roast in the overn?

nate
08-31-2007, 07:44 AM
And the play is up on the Reds mlb.com site.

GAC
08-31-2007, 07:58 AM
I was listening to the game on the radio on the way to work last night. I just got home and turned on SportsCenter and they just showed it. What a gem!

MrCinatit
08-31-2007, 09:08 AM
Phillips obviously has a heck of a lot of talent - but this play shows that he is also starting to use his head a lot, as well, being very aware of what is happening on the rest of the diamond.

redsmetz
08-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Are there any clips of the actual play? The only clips I've seen cut away to the third base runner right before he makes the throw and all you see is the ball sailing towards home plate.

I'd like to see the throw too. Usually they'll replay the various angles, but all they replay is the tag. If that's not out there, what a dreadful piece of television work.

cumberlandreds
08-31-2007, 09:19 AM
I'd like to see the throw too. Usually they'll replay the various angles, but all they replay is the tag. If that's not out there, what a dreadful piece of television work.

On the postgame on FSN they showed the throw. Quite a throw! It's one of the best plays you will ever see. Phillips is probably the best 2nd baseman the Reds have had since Morgan. At least that I have seen.

mbgrayson
08-31-2007, 09:22 AM
HERE is a LINK (http://reds.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070830&content_id=2179510&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin) to the page where you can watch the play. The link is on the right hand side of the page and is titled "Phillips great throw home".

HERE is a direct link (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w_id=595940&w=mms%3A//a1503.v108692.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2007/open/tp/archive08/083007_cinpit_phillips_def_tp_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2007/08/30/cinmlb-pitmlb-1&vid=7758&mid=200708312180585&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp400&v=2&mType=w&urlstr=&mUrl=&type=v_free&_mp=1) to the play.
I agree this edit job is bad. The actual angles they show here are not that good; you can't even see Phillips throw the ball. Cmon MLB!

Ltlabner
08-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Not a great camera angle, but you definatley get a sense of the amazing throw he pulled off while off-ballence, still moving the other way, etc.

And people want to trade him why?

MrCinatit
08-31-2007, 09:55 AM
I hate to admit this (I did not get to see the play live, was at work) - but I just realized that was the game ending play - if the play had not been made, the game would have tied, and who knows what the outcome would have been.
That makes it even more of a wow play - clutch. Had Jeter made the play, it would have been hailed the play of the year.

NJReds
08-31-2007, 10:18 AM

He doesn't walk enough? :confused:

RedsManRick
08-31-2007, 10:19 AM
On the postgame on FSN they showed the throw. Quite a throw! It's one of the best plays you will ever see. Phillips is probably the best 2nd baseman the Reds have had since Morgan. At least that I have seen.

Pokey Reese wasn't too shabby. I'd say he definitely outranges Phillips, but Phillips certainly has a flair for the dramatic.

pahster
08-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Pokey Reese wasn't too shabby. I'd say he definitely outranges Phillips, but Phillips certainly has a flair for the dramatic.

Phillips is also a much better hitter. Take a gander at Reese's OPS+s and OBP by season. Gross.

Mario-Rijo
08-31-2007, 10:29 AM
I hate to admit this (I did not get to see the play live, was at work) - but I just realized that was the game ending play - if the play had not been made, the game would have tied, and who knows what the outcome would have been.
That makes it even more of a wow play - clutch. Had Jeter made the play, it would have been hailed the play of the year.

Jeter is the 1st name that popped into my head when I seen that play. As a matter of fact I think I said to myself "that was Jeter-Esque". Or like I say to myself when I see Jeter make a play "that was Larkin Esque". ;)

RedsManRick
08-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Phillips is also a much better hitter. Take a gander at Reese's OPS+s and OBP by season. Gross.

Was thinking solely in terms of defense. In terms of the whole package, I agree.

As soon as I saw it the Jeter throws-out-Giambi-lateral was the first thing that came to mind.

BBT is wholly unwatchable. Barely surface coverage of the games; It's basically, homer, homer, final score. The analysis is by a stupid GM and a stupidier ex-player. Just awful.

Roy Tucker
08-31-2007, 10:48 AM
BBT is wholly unwatchable. Barely surface coverage of the games; It's basically, homer, homer, final score. The analysis is by a stupid GM and a stupidier ex-player. Just awful.

I agree. You see the Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, and whoever they are playing.

Last night, I counted the number of times they showed the replay of Youkilis running out of the basepath. It was 7.

I also counted how many times they showed Phillips' play. It was 0.

redsmetz
08-31-2007, 10:55 AM
HERE is a LINK (http://reds.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070830&content_id=2179510&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin) to the page where you can watch the play. The link is on the right hand side of the page and is titled "Phillips great throw home".

HERE is a direct link (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w_id=595940&w=mms%3A//a1503.v108692.c10869.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/10869/v0001/mlb.download.akamai.com/10869/2007/open/tp/archive08/083007_cinpit_phillips_def_tp_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2007/08/30/cinmlb-pitmlb-1&vid=7758&mid=200708312180585&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp400&v=2&mType=w&urlstr=&mUrl=&type=v_free&_mp=1) to the play.
I agree this edit job is bad. The actual angles they show here are not that good; you can't even see Phillips throw the ball. Cmon MLB!

That's what I'm thinking - I'm not seeing it and why in the heck don't you retrieve the video from the camera that had the first angle fielding the ball and edit that in? Pathetic.

cincrazy
08-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Phillips obviously has a heck of a lot of talent - but this play shows that he is also starting to use his head a lot, as well, being very aware of what is happening on the rest of the diamond.

Reminds me of that time in the playoffs when Derek Jeter bolted from his SS position to along the first base line to flip that ball to Posada to nail Jeremy Giambi. Unbelievable play by Phillips, unlike anything I've ever seen.

BCubb2003
08-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Coming after his two stolen bases on one pitch, I think Brandon Phillips has the ability to redefine the game, the way Eric Davis used to.

smith288
08-31-2007, 01:12 PM
The same bad editing with the Dunn missed bag. They had two cameras on the play. The behind the on deck camera and the high camera following the ball (and badly).

These stadiums are filled with cameras and not one was unblocked and focused on Dunn rounding 3rd? Ugh.

BCubb2003
08-31-2007, 01:32 PM
It would be interesting to find out what happens to the shots that don't make the broadcast. The director caught subpar angles on the Phillips play, which was shown live. The replay was the same thing, switching from Phillips to the runner coming home. The highlights were just the same replay.

It's understandable that working live, the director is going to want to get the runner crossing the plate. Especially if it was a Pittsburgh camera crew. Did the camera that was on Phillips stay on Phillips? Is that shot even retrievable now? How often does the director pull up not-shown-before angles for the replay? Usually only for a disputed call. How often does MLB re-edit the shots for their highlights? Seems like they grab the replays and go.

I guess we'll have to wait for the DVD of the Reds' improbable championship season of 2007.

CrackerJack
08-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Phillips is worth the price of admission alone - just a fun player to watch, just like Larkin was in his prime for many years - and Brandon's already bangin' on the door of his first 30/30 season. Just an intense competitor who seems to want to win and be great in the worst way - can't get enough of those types on the same team.

dabvu2498
08-31-2007, 02:14 PM
I did see one good replay of "the play," but that was after FSN broke for commercial and came back.

There is a good shot of Phillips making the play out there. It's just that nobody's showing it.

cumberlandreds
08-31-2007, 02:21 PM
I did see one good replay of "the play," but that was after FSN broke for commercial and came back.

There is a good shot of Phillips making the play out there. It's just that nobody's showing it.

That's the one I mentioned. It's out there. It's just up to these sports news places to get off their duff and find it.

Razor Shines
08-31-2007, 03:56 PM
The cool thing about that play, to me anyway, is that it marks the difference between guys like Freel and guys like Phillips. It's not a knock on Freel but hustle alone cannot make that play. It took flat out hustle for Brandon to get to that ball, and I think that Freel would have gotten to that ball but Freel puts that ball in his pocket and tries to keep the hitter at first base while the run scores. But with hustle combined with amazing natural talent Phillips gets the guy out at home.

15fan
08-31-2007, 04:15 PM

He's the most valuable commodity the Reds have to trade if they want to make a serious improvement to the pitching staff.

Phillips is young, cheap, plays good d up the middle, and can hit for power. That makes him attractive to, oh, about 26 of the other 29 teams in MLB.

More potential suitors = more potential for a good trade. If you can get multiple teams making offers for Phillips, you can play them against each other to drive up the price. If someone is willing to pay that price (which I'd set the initial ante as a good, young starting pitcher, and a good, young reliever), then pull the trigger. If no one ponies up, then just keep Phillips and go on about your business.

If all anyone wants to do is trade Dunn or Griffey for pitching, that limits the potential trade partners to about 6-8 teams max. At that point, you're trying to sell in a buyers market. You get put over a barrell and pretty much have to take what the big guys are offering. When I negotiate, I prefer to put the other guy over a barrell. Make him pay the premium for what you have.

We've seen what trading guys like Joe Randa, Sean Casey, Kyle Lohse and Austin Kearns has netted in the way of pitching. Trying to trade Hatteberg, Gonzalez, Freel, Dunn, or Ross for impact pitching is pretty much barking up the same tree yet again.

This team isn't going anywhere until it drastically improves the pitching staff. The last bona fide starting pitcher that came from within the organization was...Tom Browning. Thinking that good starting pitching is going to magically start showing up in waves in the next few years means you haven't been paying attention over the last couple of decades.

Trading Phillips is the best means to significantly improving a wretched pitching staff.

Ltlabner
08-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Trading Phillips is the best means to significantly improving a wretched pitching staff.

If you think you can trade Brandon Phillips, as tallented and exciting to those of us in Cincy as he is, for a front line pitcher, you are dreaming.

If you can't net a front line pitcher for Dunn, you most certinally aren't going to get it for BPhill.

Much like Dunner, IMO, he's too important to the Reds, but not important enough to another team to give up what he's worth.

fearofpopvol1
08-31-2007, 04:40 PM
If you think you can trade Brandon Phillips, as tallented and exciting to those of us in Cincy as he is, for a front line pitcher, you are dreaming.

If you can't net a front line pitcher for Dunn, you most certinally aren't going to get it for BPhill.

Much like Dunner, IMO, he's too important to the Reds, but not important enough to another team to give up what he's worth.

I think the reason it's being said is because Phillips is CHEAP whereas Dunn is about to be VERY expensive. A lot more teams could enter the Phillips sweepstakes than they could the Dunn sweepstakes. In addition, the team that would acquire Phillips from the Reds would have control over his contract for much longer than they would for Dunn, which is certainly a big deal. I'm not saying I agree with the original poster's opinion about Phillips (though a good case is made), but I get what they're saying.

lollipopcurve
08-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Nobody is going to trade a bona fide frontline pitcher -- expensive vet or top-shelf prospect -- unless they're worried about his health, or, in the case of an expensive vet, the guy is very close to free agency and they know they can't sign him.

So, it is highly likely that the only way you're getting a bona fide pitching stud via the trade market is to grab a guy who's about to becoem a free agent. In other words, a rental. Is that worth Brandon Phillips? Nope.

So, the way I see it, it's develop your own or pony up in the free agent market. Seems to me the Reds may be freeing up lots of cash as Griffey and Dunn depart in the next 12 months, which could make them legit players in the 09 market.

OldRightHander
08-31-2007, 05:35 PM
Baseball this morning on XM hardly mentioned it. I expected a little love for Brandon, but they only mentioned the score.

redsmetz
08-31-2007, 10:52 PM
I forgot to check the Pittsburgh paper today, but they had a great write-up of the closing play of last night's game.

Josh Phelps was sprinting around third base with what surely would have been a sweet step onto home plate. The score would be tied, and he would be the two-out hero in the bottom of the ninth inning.

Suddenly, stunningly, he saw this white spheroid come into view ...

"I never expected to see a baseball coming," Phelps recalled. "Impossible."

But there it was, and Phelps was tagged for the final out of the Pirates' 5-4 loss to Cincinnati last night at PNC Park, a game Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips finished with a defensive gem so stupendous that a term such as impossible meant little.

"The way that game ended ... I don't know if you'll ever see that play get made again," manager Jim Tracy said.

Before the rush of adjectives, here is the background ...

The Pirates, needing a run to tie, got yet another big pinch-hit from Phelps, a hustling double to left-center off Cincinnati closer David Weathers.
Today

Nate McLouth was next, and he dueled Weathers to a full count before splintering his bat on an inside fastball. McLouth got just enough of it, though, to bloop it over first baseman Jeff Keppinger into shallow right field.

Phelps, breaking on the full count with two outs, never looked back.

"In that situation, I'm just listening for the crowd," he said. "If I hear the roar, I know it fell in."

Fact is, of course, the reaction of the 12,463 in attendance should not have mattered. Phelps should have been going full-bore upon contact. And he was.

One problem with that: Phillips, one of Major League Baseball's premier second basemen, was going full-bore, too.

"I saw him running around third and I was cussing, man," Phillips said of Phelps. "And then, I made the best play of my career."

No hyperbole there.

Phillips dashed back to support Keppinger, closed in on the ball after it one tall bounce off the grass, whirled his body back toward the diamond even as he barehanded it - "The most amazing part," Tracy called that - then set himself before firing a bullet toward home plate.

The only flaw: The throw was high, and catcher Javier Valentin had to leave his feet to pull it in.

But still ...

"It never even crossed my mind that there would be a play at the plate," McLouth said.

It apparently never crossed Phelps' mind, either. Rather than sliding, he reacted late, stayed on his feet and made a somewhat awkward attempt to knock down Valentin.

Nothing doing.

Game over.

And Phelps took responsibility.

"When I saw the ball coming in ... I just went into survival mode," he said. "It was too late to slide, so I tried to do what I could."

"It was a little indecision on Josh's part," Tracy said. "Obviously, if he slides, he's going to be safe."

The Reds mobbed Phillips after drawing a split of the four-game series, and Phillips drew universal praise from the home side, too.

"A fantastic play," Pirates third baseman Jose Bautista said.

"Something I've never seen before," starter Matt Morris said.

vaticanplum
09-01-2007, 07:16 PM
I just want to state for the record that it was worth selling my soul to Time Warner for this play alone.