PDA

View Full Version : Fay: More players to be called up on Tuesday

Reds Fanatic
09-01-2007, 05:04 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

Wayne Krivsky said the Reds will call up more players Tuesday. The rosters expanded Saturday, but Triple-A Louisville's season ends Monday.

Krivsky wouldn't say who would get the call.

"We've got to tell the players first," he said.

Marcus McBeth got the callup Saturday because the Reds needed a right-hander in the bullpen. On Tuesday, I think you'll see pitchers who have been with the Reds earlier -- Todd Coffey, Brad Salmon, Kirk Saarloos -- plus Joey Votto and Ryan Jorgensen. I wouldn't be stunned one way or the other with Jay Bruce.

Depending on how Phil Dumatrait does tonight, I think Johnny Cueto or Matt Maloney could get a callup. If Dumatrait has another short outing, they can't continue to run him out there. Or at least I think they can't.

Homer Bailey will not be in the group called up Tuesday. He's going to pitch for Sarasota in the playoffs. "He's tweaking things," Krivsky said, "all with the idea of getting more consistent."

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Good. Hopefully McBeth and Salmon get plenty of chances to prove they belong in the majors and capitalize on it.

Matt700wlw
09-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Votto? Bruce?

KronoRed
09-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Votto? Bruce?

Why bother? they won't get much playing time.

Joseph
09-01-2007, 05:58 PM
Why bother? they won't get much playing time.

More playing time than they would if they went home for the winter.

traderumor
09-01-2007, 06:29 PM
"He's tweaking things," Krivsky said,Yea, like his groin

RedLegSuperStar
09-01-2007, 06:47 PM
right now there is 39 on the 40 man roster.. Freel and Livingston could be moved to the 60 freeing up two more spots. My guess is Bruce, Cueto, and Maloney could all get a shot..

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Please leave Johnny Cueto in the minors. Krivsky already rushed Bailey this season, let's not do the same with Cueto. I actually think Cueto would fare better than Bailey did due to better command, but I still don't want him called up yet. He should begin next season in Louisville (with a possibility of making the team out of ST if he dominates).

lollipopcurve
09-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Hopefully McBeth and Salmon get plenty of chances to prove they belong in the majors and capitalize on it.

Agreed. I think Salmon showed some good things his first time around. I like him better than Coffey (who needs secondary stuff). I think McBeth has a chance, but I think there's a bit more refinement needed in the changeup. I do like how he seems to be able to command the fastball down.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cueto up and pitching out of the pen -- to limit his innings -- just to get him a taste of the majors.

OnBaseMachine
09-01-2007, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Cueto up and pitching out of the pen -- to limit his innings -- just to get him a taste of the majors.

Now that, I wouldn't be as opposed to that as I would calling him up to start. That's actually not a bad idea at all. I would actually even consider doing the same thing with Homer Bailey too.

I wonder if the Reds will give Tyler Pelland a look?

KronoRed
09-01-2007, 10:08 PM
More playing time than they would if they went home for the winter.

But it adds arbitration time and Mac is playing for a job next year, he'll leave em on the bench.

corkedbat
09-02-2007, 02:07 AM
Is Cueto in AA. I think Chattanooga is in the playoffs aren't they? I'd leave him there.

I'd certainly give Maloney a few starts before I'd run Dumatrait out there again - I've seen about enough of that show.

Chip R
09-02-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure why some of these guys would be called up. Why start their options as well as having to protect them in the Rule 5 draft?

dougdirt
09-02-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure why some of these guys would be called up. Why start their options as well as having to protect them in the Rule 5 draft?

If they are on the 40 man roster, they are already protected from the Rule 5 draft.

Chip R
09-02-2007, 04:25 PM
If they are on the 40 man roster, they are already protected from the Rule 5 draft.

Right. But what I'm saying is why protect a guy when you don't have to? Bruce is a perfect example. Why protect him if he doesn't have to be on the 40 man yet?

dougdirt
09-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Right. But what I'm saying is why protect a guy when you don't have to? Bruce is a perfect example. Why protect him if he doesn't have to be on the 40 man yet?

To get him big league at bats? He is the kind of guy who you don't worry about wasting options with because you don't plan on ever using them.

Chip R
09-02-2007, 04:46 PM
To get him big league at bats? He is the kind of guy who you don't worry about wasting options with because you don't plan on ever using them.

Why does he need them this year? Where's he going to play? They can always bring him up next year.

corkedbat
09-02-2007, 04:47 PM

Pretty much the same with Votto and the option has already been used for this season for Salmon and Coffee. I might consider Dickerson if I don't bring up Bruce. I'd leave Cueto and Homer where they are. I'd just cut bait on Sarloos.

I would stick Maloney into the rotation for a few starts to get a sneak peak for Spring Training.

dougdirt
09-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Why does he need them this year? Where's he going to play? They can always bring him up next year.

I never said it made sense to do it. I just was giving a reason why they may do it.

Danny Serafini
09-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Why is everyone in such a hurry to bring Maloney up? He has all of two starts above AA. I know the Reds are desperate for pitching but I'd rather not screw around with a promising kid's development just to maybe win 75 games instead of 73.

fearofpopvol1
09-02-2007, 07:38 PM
I think it makes perfect sense to bring up Bruce now. He's dominated every level he's played at. See what he can do this month and then make your decisions about Grif/Dunn in the offseason. No reason to not let him show what he can do.

chicoruiz
09-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Jay's had a very nice month in AAA but I'm not ready to say he's "dominated" there...

nate
09-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Jay's had a very nice month in AAA but I'm not ready to say he's "dominated" there...

What would you call "domination" then?

TOBTTReds
09-02-2007, 09:49 PM
I have no problem bringing up Bruce with this situation:

Let him be with the big club. Don't make next year a big shock for him, let him get it out this year.

He can go home to sit on his couch, or sit on the bench with good people.

If he starts with the Reds next year, he will be a Super 2 and be arb eligible after 09 regardless of his time this year. If he doesn't start next year, they can wait til July 1 to make sure is not Super 2 eligible.

His roster status, arbitration, free agency, and so one will not effect his career in any different way by a one month call up at all.

Let him get some swings against the big boys. Let him face crappy RH'ers. We face the Brewers 6 more times, they are bound to throw us Suppan or Dave Bush a few times.

Let him know: "You are a big leaguer son." Can imagine what his mindset would be like in the offseason if he knew he was a major leaguer.

This is a great opportunity to bring him up in a pressure free environment.

The only problem I see is the comfort level with losing. Griffey is a "lead by example" guy that jogs to 1st on a 400 foot hit. What will that say to Bruce? Dunn plays terrible D. AGonz gets depressed every time he pops one up. Edwin, Kepp, Hopper, all seem to be more positive these days, and Ham is as well. Hatteberg seems to be getting very frustrated (throwing his bat) every time he makes an out. So the only thing that concerns me is the clubhouse atmosphere.

But if he comes up, Votto better be right with him.

alloverjr
09-02-2007, 11:14 PM
I agree with bringing up some of the players that have a legit shot at making the club next year. The biggest fly in the ointment is going to be the status of Mackanin IMO. If he's trying to win the gig for next year - and I'd have every reason to believe he is - he may be tempted to play the vets in an attempt to win every game versus playing the younger guys in a development mode. Now, his use of Burton and to a lesser extent Keppinger, may show that he is willing to play whomever as long as he thinks they can play. It just seems counter-intuitive to bring up guys for development's sake without giving the '08 job to Pete or at least reinforcing that the team's Sept record has no bearing on his status - whatever that might be.

TOBTTReds
09-02-2007, 11:51 PM
I agree with bringing up some of the players that have a legit shot at making the club next year. The biggest fly in the ointment is going to be the status of Mackanin IMO. If he's trying to win the gig for next year - and I'd have every reason to believe he is - he may be tempted to play the vets in an attempt to win every game versus playing the younger guys in a development mode. Now, his use of Burton and to a lesser extent Keppinger, may show that he is willing to play whomever as long as he thinks they can play. It just seems counter-intuitive to bring up guys for development's sake without giving the '08 job to Pete or at least reinforcing that the team's Sept record has no bearing on his status - whatever that might be.

I'm thinking with the way they have played lately, Mack's not getting the job. Also, he doesn't have to play the young guys all at once. If he has the tools to play Ellison at all, he should have it to play Jay 'Freaking' Bruce.

corkedbat
09-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Why is everyone in such a hurry to bring Maloney up? He has all of two starts above AA. I know the Reds are desperate for pitching but I'd rather not screw around with a promising kid's development just to maybe win 75 games instead of 73.

Because I'd like to see as many starts as possible going to guys that have a future with the club. In my mind, this does not include Santos, Dumatrait, Saloos or Ramierez. I'm OK with Belisle and Shearn. I think Maloney is more mature than Cueto, so I'd tap him and let Cueto have the playoff (albeit AA) experience. I'd also leave Homer in Sarasota.

I'd think these last few starts would be about as pressure-free as you'll find on the major-league level. Instead of scrwing up his development it might actually aid him in making the club out of Spring Training or in case of a later callup. Get the butterflies out of the way.

Lord knows we could use a quality LH starter in the rotation next year.