PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle cops at I-75/Union Centre

BUTLER REDSFAN
09-03-2007, 10:37 AM
There are motorcycle cops at s.b. I-75/ Union Centre every weekday morning at rush hour. This started a few months back. I know that cops have a hard job and i respect 99% of them. I don't respect these guys. In their suits with their Billy Badass radar guns aimed at every Joe Sixpack minding their own business, I hate to say it but they look like Nazi's. I love how macho they think they are by standing there aiming a radar gun at cars that the citizens paid for. I've seen them pull people over in the lane next to me that as far as i could tell were doing the same speed i was because they were even with me in the next lane. It's nothing but an assembly line of people pulled over every morning for whatever excuse they can come up with.Also, you can't tell me that it isn't a safety issue that you constantly have 20-30 cars an hour having to merge back on to the interstate all in a fairly confined area.

OldRightHander
09-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I like the troopers who are highly visible on the highways because I think they actually lead to safer driving. People see them and behave. It's the ones that like to hide, mostly city or some other local cops, that bug me. If you're actually there to make people driver safer, then being visible should do that better than hiding.

RedFanAlways1966
09-03-2007, 11:17 AM
To be honest cops running radar do not bother me. I do not drive through the area you mention very often. I too have thought, however, that the motorcycle cops look militaristic in their getups! I also do not drive more than 5-7 mph over the speed limit, so I am not worried.

What bothers me in regard to things like this? <rant> Idiots who slam on their brakes b/c they see a cop. So-so dangerous to hit your brakes on the interstate. Even people who are not speeding slamming on their brakes... yeah, you will get a ticket for doing 63 mph in a 65 mph zone. What is in the mind of these idiots? "A cop, hit the brakes!" To hell with everyone else that might be in a potentially deadly accident b/c of my stupidity.... I don't want a $120 ticket b/c I am breaking the law or I need to slow down to 55 mph in a 65 mph zone even though I was not speeding. Makes me want to pull them over myself and slap them upside their stupid head with one of the radar guns I helped to buy. <rant over>

paintmered
09-03-2007, 11:24 AM
What bothers me in regard to things like this? <rant> Idiots who slam on their brakes b/c they see a cop. So-so dangerous to hit your brakes on the interstate. Even people who are not speeding slamming on their brakes... yeah, you will get a ticket for doing 63 mph in a 65 mph zone. What is in the mind of these idiots? "A cop, hit the brakes!" To hell with everyone else that might be in a potentially deadly accident b/c of my stupidity.... I don't want a $120 ticket b/c I am breaking the law or I need to slow down to 55 mph in a 65 mph zone even though I was not speeding. Makes me want to pull them over myself and slap them upside their stupid head with one of the radar guns I helped to buy. <rant over>

This happened to me last night. The car in front of me wasn't even doing the speed limit and nearly lost control of the vehicle from slamming on the brakes due to a cop. It must be a conditioned response for some people, no matter what speed they are doing.

KronoRed
09-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Maybe they have a busted speedometer that costs more then the car is worth to fix ;)

KittyDuran
09-03-2007, 04:20 PM
This happened to me last night. The car in front of me wasn't even doing the speed limit and nearly lost control of the vehicle from slamming on the brakes due to a cop. It must be a conditioned response for some people, no matter what speed they are doing.That's a MAJOR pet peeve of mine. Just take your foot off the gas to slow, idiots... even if you're speeding it might reduce your fine...:bang:

Yachtzee
09-03-2007, 04:25 PM
I'd rather have police openly performing speed checks rather than hiding out. I think it makes people drive more safely. At least Ohio requires police to be driving visibly marked cruisers with a light array on top. I hate driving through states where they have highway patrol in cars with little to no markings and the light array inside the car. I think the surprise factor when they seemingly jump out of nowhere causes a lot of that slamming on the brakes that no one enjoys.

kaldaniels
09-03-2007, 05:12 PM
I'd rather have those specific cops at the same place each day, where I know where they are...rather than hiding behind a bush or billboard or something else running radar...thats just me though.

Caveat Emperor
09-03-2007, 11:53 PM
I also do not drive more than 5-7 mph over the speed limit, so I am not worried.

Most municipalities and local police units ticket at 15 over. Unwritten policy for State Troopers is to ticket at 7 over (except during rush hour, where USUALLY they're just sitting to keep people slow and to help if any wrecks come by). So, don't think you're safe. ;)

Idiots who slam on their brakes b/c they see a cop. So-so dangerous to hit your brakes on the interstate.

Virtually every law enforcement officer out there uses the LTI 2020 nowadays for running their speed patrols. Hitting the brakes when you see a cop won't help you -- especially if you're in the high speed lane. If you've seen the cop, chances are he's already hit you with his laser.

I had a chance to play around with one of the guns at a patrol post outside of Toledo. It literally takes less than a second to get a reading on a car and the things have scopes that let you hit cars as soon as they come into sight.

Tap the breaks all you want -- it isn't gonna help.

Ltlabner
09-04-2007, 09:16 AM
That's a MAJOR pet peeve of mine. Just take your foot off the gas to slow, idiots... even if you're speeding it might reduce your fine...:bang:

I have never understood why people tap their breaks on the highway to slow down for any reason other than they are about to smash into a deer, or they have to hit the breaks for some other pressing issue. Other than that, simply let off the gas. Gravity and friction are wonderfull tools to help you bleed off excess speed.

As far as cops go, I could care less whether they hide out, are in plain sight or rent a circus tent. Blaming them for the stupid reactions people have to them is missing the point.

I guess I'll never understand why people always want to push the limit a little farther when it comes to speed. Everybody thinks their business/errands are sooooooooooooo important that if they can only eek out an additional 3 to 4 mph in speed they can get more critcally important errands done. It's rediculus. People are so consumed with the importance of their lives that it justifies speeding, cutting people off, driving like idiots, etc. Usually all of that to acomplish a 1 car length advantage, or shave 3 minutes off their ETA.

The only people who have a justifable reason to speed to get anywhere, are those who already have a light-bar on top of their vechicles, a surgeon on the way to an emergancy operation, or perhaps someone rushing a loved one to the hospital.

Short of that, drive the speed limit, shut up, and realize that your trip to Lowes just isn't all that important to humanity.

Yachtzee
09-04-2007, 09:47 AM
I have never understood why people tap their breaks on the highway to slow down for any reason other than they are about to smash into a deer, or they have to hit the breaks for some other pressing issue. Other than that, simply let off the gas. Gravity and friction are wonderfull tools to help you bleed off excess speed.

As far as cops go, I could care less whether they hide out, are in plain sight or rent a circus tent. Blaming them for the stupid reactions people have to them is missing the point.

I guess I'll never understand why people always want to push the limit a little farther when it comes to speed. Everybody thinks their business/errands are sooooooooooooo important that if they can only eek out an additional 3 to 4 mph in speed they can get more critcally important errands done. It's rediculus. People are so consumed with the importance of their lives that it justifies speeding, cutting people off, driving like idiots, etc. Usually all of that to acomplish a 1 car length advantage, or shave 3 minutes off their ETA.

The only people who have a justifable reason to speed to get anywhere, are those who already have a light-bar on top of their vechicles, a surgeon on the way to an emergancy operation, or perhaps someone rushing a loved one to the hospital.

Short of that, drive the speed limit, shut up, and realize that your trip to Lowes just isn't all that important to humanity.

I don't know that most people actually drive the speed limit. I think most folks drive what they feel is appropriate for the conditions. On an interstate with a 65 mph speed limit, I think most people drive 70-75 mph, with 75 being the de facto speed limit. Few people drive over 75 mph. My feeling is that, as long as I'm driving with the flow of traffic at a speed that is appropriate for the conditions, I shouldn't have much to worry about. As far as speeders go, I'd be more concerned about the teens who feel the need to do 60 on the back roads than someone doing 75 on the interstate.

Ltlabner
09-04-2007, 10:03 AM
I don't know that most people actually drive the speed limit. I think most folks drive what they feel is appropriate for the conditions.

As far as speeders go, I'd be more concerned about the teens who feel the need to do 60 on the back roads than someone doing 75 on the interstate.

Unfortunatley most people base their "conditions" on things like, their schedule, their trip, their time limits, them being late, etc. The problem with the "I'll be the judge of what is safe" line of thinking is that everybody has a definition of what is safe, and very, very few people include road conditions, traffic, weather, their car, the types of tires they have or anything remotley related to safe vechile operations in to their "I'll judge what is safe" decision making process. Based on 800 miles per week of driving for the last 13 years, I have little, if any, faith in my fellow drivers to make a determination of what is safe or not. The highway is a bad place for mob-rules.

I don't have an issue with someone driving 70 in a 65 on the highway, provided that the rest of the flow of traffic is doing the same. Problem is I am comfortable with 70, you are comfortable with 75, the next guy with 80 and so forth. That is why someone has to set the limit in the first place.

If you can't stand to drive the speed limit because your life and activities are so important, either reevaluate your importance to the universe, or start a campaign to raise the speed limits across the state. If it's that important to endager the safety of others so you can get little Logan and Chance to soccer practice, at least have the courtesy to attempt to have all the speed limits raised uniformly, instead of just taking it upon yourself to decide what is safe for you (and everyone else be dammed).

Certinatlley there are degrees of unsafe operations. 60mph on a 35 twisty country road is more unsafe than 75 on a stright way 65mph highway. But that doesn't change that they both violate the law and put others in jepordy to some degree.

Roy Tucker
09-04-2007, 10:12 AM
I believe the tap on the brakes thing came about when police used radar to determine speed.

The theory was, if you were decelerating quickly enough, radar couldn't get a fix on your speed. Once your deceleration rate stabilized (i.e. you got down to a legal speed), radar would tell the officer that you were at the legal speed. At least that's what someone told me.

With laser detectors now, I think the acquisition and speed detection is very quick (<1 sec) and tapping your brakes doesn't do a thing besides create accidents.

I used drive fast cars and speed, try to be the fastest car on the road, get all aggravated at slow drivers, blah blah blah. Somewhere along the line (like, the last speeding ticket I got), I decided it was all pretty foolish and it wasn't worth the danger and aggravation.

So nowadays, I putt along with all the rest of the crowd on the road, not too fast, not too slow, juuuust right (the Goldilocks Effect). Get off my lawn.

OldRightHander
09-04-2007, 11:08 AM
I have noticed that speeding doesn't really save you that much time, unless you're on about a 1000 mile trip or so. What difference is that extra 5 mpg going to make when you're going across town? It's the people that weave in and out or go slow in the fast lane that irritate me, that and folks who insist on passing on the right.

TeamSelig
09-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Cracks me up when people get mad about the police doing their job.

As far as unwritten policies go, I mostly hear that you can go about 10 over at the most. Not sure about the interstate though. Seems if you're not going 15 over then you are constantly being passed.

Hitting the brakes is a habit though. Slamming on them is different, that is really dumb IMO.

paintmered
09-04-2007, 05:17 PM
The theory was, if you were decelerating quickly enough, radar couldn't get a fix on your speed. Once your deceleration rate stabilized (i.e. you got down to a legal speed), radar would tell the officer that you were at the legal speed. At least that's what someone told me.

It really depends on what type of radar the cop is using. Newer radars use Doppler shift to determine velocity, and that's pretty instantaneous. Older radars probably used a low pulse repetition frequency, which means the radar directly measures the pulse length to determine distance. Velocity is then differentiated from there. Even though the latter method is slower, it still takes a fraction of a second to determine how fast you are going.

Bottom line: once a cop has line-of-sight on you, he knows how fast you are going.

GAC
09-04-2007, 05:29 PM
This happened to me last night. The car in front of me wasn't even doing the speed limit and nearly lost control of the vehicle from slamming on the brakes due to a cop. It must be a conditioned response for some people, no matter what speed they are doing.

Yeah, and once you see the cop, he has already "seen" you via his radar. So how does breaking benefit?

My drive over to work goes through the countryside and various country roads with little or no traffic. Especially since I'm a 3rd shifter and it's a night. There is this one sheriff that seems to have made it his goal in life to catch us Honda employees going over the speed limit. He NEVER sits out in the open, but has several hiding places he rotates to and from (behind corn silos, barns, etc). But we have learned where they are at so we make sure we're going the speed limit when we're near them. A couple of my buddies love to mess with him though by honking their horns and waving at him. :lol:

Chip R
09-04-2007, 06:09 PM
My drive over to work goes through the countryside and various country roads with little or no traffic. Especially since I'm a 3rd shifter and it's a night. There is this one sheriff that seems to have made it his goal in life to catch us Honda employees going over the speed limit. He NEVER sits out in the open, but has several hiding places he rotates to and from (behind corn silos, barns, etc). But we have learned where they are at so we make sure we're going the speed limit when we're near them. A couple of my buddies love to mess with him though by honking their horns and waving at him. :lol:

http://images.quizilla.com/P/procrasti-nate/1049414030_roscoe.jpg

DoogMinAmo
09-04-2007, 06:37 PM
To be honest cops running radar do not bother me. I do not drive through the area you mention very often. I too have thought, however, that the motorcycle cops look militaristic in their getups! I also do not drive more than 5-7 mph over the speed limit, so I am not worried.

FWIW, my girlfriend got a ticket from a cop once when her speedometer was broken, and she just cruised right by him. The cop pulled her over and said he wouldnt have gotten her if she would have had the courtesy to at least hit her brakes and slow down to acknowledge his presence. They expect the braking, go figure.

Also, I make sure I always tap my brakes on the highway when I see a cop no matter the speed I go so those speeding behind me see the lights and slow down. Sorry if that irks some people, but it always seemed courteous.

Granted, I am not slamming my brakes, even if I am speeding I slow down gradually, but I still am "that guy."

wolfboy
09-04-2007, 07:13 PM
FWIW, my girlfriend got a ticket from a cop once when her speedometer was broken, and she just cruised right by him. The cop pulled her over and said he wouldnt have gotten her if she would have had the courtesy to at least hit her brakes and slow down to acknowledge his presence. They expect the braking, go figure.

Also, I make sure I always tap my brakes on the highway when I see a cop no matter the speed I go so those speeding behind me see the lights and slow down. Sorry if that irks some people, but it always seemed courteous.

Granted, I am not slamming my brakes, even if I am speeding I slow down gradually, but I still am "that guy."

Hey, I appreciate the gesture. It's usually what I look out for. I am a chronic speeder, and I've only had two speeding tickets in almost 15 years of driving. I did everything I could to earn those two. Anyway, I say keep up the good work. :beerme:

RedFanAlways1966
09-04-2007, 09:00 PM

I appreciate your honesty, Doog. I just hope some speeder isn't behind you on his/her cell-phone and too busy to realize that you are slowing down in front of their busy self. I also hope that cop was being a smart aleck or is not indicative of the typical officer. If so, he/she needs to go back to the academy IMO.

No matter how it is justified, it is very dangerous to hit the breaks on the interstate. It should not be done unless it is necessary to avoid an accident. To do it as a favor to other people who are breaking the law isn't good enough for me. Just as a lookout for a person who is helping his buddy rob a store doesn't get any sympathy from me. Not exactly the same... but still helping law breakers avoid justice, right? Except the lookout does not endanger the lives of innocent people while looking out for the violator.

IslandRed
09-04-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm not a big fan of brake-tappers; I prefer to control my speed with the gas pedal as much as possible. But having driven several different models of rental cars, I've come to realize that (1) not every auto-tranny car slows down right away when you lift off the gas and (2) if you're on cruise control, some cars don't give you a choice but to hit the brake to deactivate it.

But people who constantly tap their brakes for no discernable reason just drive me nuts. And no, I'm not tailgating them. :D

lo ryder
09-04-2007, 09:28 PM

Its usually a reaction from those who have no operators license, under suspension, and or warrants out on them. They always try to avoid the law at all costs.

paintmered
09-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Its usually a reaction from those who have no operators license, under suspension, and or warrants out on them. They always try to avoid the law at all costs.

That's very possible. I'm sure I grossly underestimate the number of illegal drivers on the roads.

TeamSelig
09-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Yeah, and once you see the cop, he has already "seen" you via his radar. So how does breaking benefit?

He is probably just trying to take a late night nap while everything is slow, and is moving around to get away but you Honda people keep finding him and waking him up with honking ;)