PDA

View Full Version : MORE CALLUPS: Coffey, Salmon, Votto, Coats, Hanigan, Saarloos



reds44
09-03-2007, 05:01 PM
JUST GOT THIS: Tomorrow, the Reds are expected to recall from Louisville RHP Todd Coffey, RHP Kirk Saarloos, RHP Brad Salmon, 1B/OF Joey Votto (#19) and IF/OF Buck Coats (#63) and select from Louisville the contract of C Ryan Hanigan (#65).

When they play, Votto and Hanigan will become the ninth and 10th Reds players to make Major League debuts this season.

-Trent

Play. Joey. Every. Day.

GoReds33
09-03-2007, 05:01 PM
I like em all buy Hanigan.

oneupper
09-03-2007, 05:04 PM
What does Buck Coats bring to the table?

GoReds33
09-03-2007, 05:09 PM
What does Buck Coats bring to the table?He apperantly has a very good arm. He was a .300 hitter. He's on the 40 man roster. They might as well bring him up.:)

camisadelgolf
09-03-2007, 05:28 PM
He apperantly has a very good arm. He was a .300 hitter. He's on the 40 man roster. They might as well bring him up.:)

Convert him to pitcher? :dunno: :D

GoReds33
09-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Convert him to pitcher? :dunno: :DHe usto be a shortstop. I don't think he wants to switch again. We should convert Jerry Gil to a pitcher.:)

corkedbat
09-03-2007, 07:26 PM
I like em all buy Hanigan.

I figured they'd add a third catcher for versatility and don't think it's a bad thing in September. I'd be even more in favor of it if they were still in the race. I kinda expected to see Jorgemson back, but guess they want to have a look-see at Hanjgan.

I've got no problem with Coats if it means they DFA Ellison. :D

I'd protest that Dickerson is more deserving, but he's headed for the AFL and I think he should have a little time off first.

I am not a fan of wasting anymore innings on Sarloos (I could say the same about Stanton & Guardado too though).

BigREDSfaninKY
09-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Why not Maloney? It beats throwing Dumatrait out there every 5th day.

Degenerate39
09-03-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm only glad to see Salmon and Votto up.

OnBaseMachine
09-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Wow. I'm impressed with Krivsky resisting the urge to call up Cueto due to him throwing too many innings this season. Good decision to have him shut it down.

Notes: More callups announced
Votto one of six brought up; Livingston to undergo surgery
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- More September callups are coming for the Reds, who announced Monday that another six players from Triple-A Louisville would be available beginning Tuesday.

None are more anticipated than Joey Votto. The 23-year-old first baseman/outfielder batted .294 with 22 home runs, 92 RBIs and a .381 on-base percentage. A 2002 second-round Draft pick, he was the Bats' most valuable player and the International League's rookie of the year.

"He's earned it. He had an excellent year at Triple-A," said Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky. "It's up to [interim manager Pete Mackanin] how he's used. I'm sure he'll get some exposure. First time in the big leagues, he's excited."

"He will be playing, whether it's on a daily basis -- that's to be determined," Mackanin said. "We're going to talk with him when he gets here. He'll certainly play."

Also being recalled are three relievers that struggled over previous big league stints this season -- Todd Coffey, Brad Salmon and Kirk Saarloos. Outfielder Buck Coats, who was acquired in a trade with the Cubs last week, and catcher Ryan Hanigan will also be available.

Two top prospects that didn't get the call were outfielder Jay Bruce and pitcher Johnny Cueto.

Bruce, 20, started at Class A Sarasota and finished at Louisville. Over three different levels, he batted .319 with 26 homers and 89 RBIs. The Reds' first-round pick in 2005, he batted .301 with 11 homers and 25 RBIs in 50 games at Triple-A.

"I talked to Jay last Tuesday night," Krivsky said. "I brought him into [Louisville manager] Rick Sweet's office. We had a great talk. He fully understands our position in terms of the ability to get at-bats here, or the lack thereof."

Cueto, 21, was 12-9 with a 3.07 ERA in 28 starts and also pitched at three levels this season. He pitched seven innings for a win at Double-A Chattanooga on Monday, which brought his season total to 161 1/3.

"He's gotten plenty of innings," Krivsky said. "Johnny had an excellent year. He got a taste of Triple-A. I think he's pitching some winter ball this year. That hasn't been finalized yet."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070903&content_id=2186443&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

AmarilloRed
09-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Wayne said pretty much the same thing I did about Cueto -- he's gotten enough innings and they're very happy with what he's done.

Wayne said there are enough starters here that they feel OK not calling up any other starters. Also, Salmon has been throwing three innings at a time and he gives them length. They have enough people in the bullpen now to go a while pretty easily.

I also got this from C. Trent Rosecrans

Harang and Arroyo are the only starters who can pitch. I understand that Maloney was not on the 40-man roster, but I am still disappointed he was not brought up.

camisadelgolf
09-04-2007, 07:04 AM
He usto be a shortstop. I don't think he wants to switch again. We should convert Jerry Gil to a pitcher.:)

When Jerry Gil was acquired, I couldn't help but think that might have been the plan once the organization convinced Gil that he can't hit. However, Gil already had arm surgery, and he hasn't even attempted pitching yet (as far as I know), so I don't think it's in his future. The Reds didn't really give up anything to get him, but as far as I'm concerned, Gil will be a waste of a roster spot when he's reinstated from the disabled list. Maybe you were joking, but for what it's worth, Gil was a shortstop-turned-to-outfielder, as well.