PDA

View Full Version : The call ups are in...

Matt700wlw
09-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Coming up tomorrow (Tues 9-4) are the following...

Todd Coffey

Kirk Saarloos

Brad Salmon

Joey Votto

Buck Coats

Ryan Hannigan

KittyDuran
09-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Interesting to see Hannigan and also Votto, of course... really wished Bruce would've made it.

Danny Serafini
09-03-2007, 05:13 PM
Didn't see Hanigan coming, no surprises elsewhere.

mbgrayson
09-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Hannigan was not on the 40 man roster. What does this mean for Ryan Jorgensen, who was on the 40 man?

redsmetz
09-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Hannigan was not on the 40 man roster. What does this mean for Ryan Jorgensen, who was on the 40 man?

It probably means, for the time being, he'll be DFA'd. But they could still move someone to the 60 day list for a little bit - Livingston, whose surgery they announced today too.

Danny Serafini
09-03-2007, 05:30 PM
There's an open spot on the 40 man so it's no problem.

Matt700wlw
09-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Votto needs to play every single day against righties, lefties, chimps, dogs, or horses.

icehole3
09-03-2007, 05:39 PM
McKanin's handling of Votto will be my determination as to whether he stays or goes, I'll be watching his every move with Votto.

Always Red
09-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Votto needs to play every single day against righties, lefties, chimps, dogs, or horses.

Why, Matt?

I'd be more careful with him than that...start him out against RH pitching, and once he gets his feet under him, let him go.

Matt700wlw
09-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Why, Matt?

I'd be more careful with him than that...start him out against RH pitching, and once he gets his feet under him, let him go.

When I say "every" day...I don't usually mean "every" day. Nobody will play "every" day.

He needs to play more than he doesn't, and even against some lefties...

Always Red
09-03-2007, 06:05 PM
When I say "every" day...I don't usually mean "every" day. Nobody will play "every" day.

He needs to play more than he doesn't.

Oh, OK. Because I agree with that! ;)

Matt700wlw
09-03-2007, 06:06 PM
He needs to play MOST days...I probably said it better in another post...platoon him Cantu, if they want Cantu to also play first...at least to start. You can always move Cantu around when Votto gets comfortable if you want to challenge him against lefties.

There. Better. :)

And Ellison needs to play ZERO days.

Can they get Votto 75 or so at bats?

I would guess, with Perez going tomorrow, Votto's first start will not be tomorrow...

What will probably happen is Votto will get limited PT and Ellison will have a role since they're still "in the hunt"

Always Red
09-03-2007, 06:09 PM
McKanin's handling of Votto will be my determination as to whether he stays or goes, I'll be watching his every move with Votto.

What are you looking for, from both Mack and Votto, ice?

The way I'd handle Votto is this: he is the first baseman on this team, at least against RH pitchers to start with. Hatty's been fine, but I'd have him take a seat and be a PH off the bench for now. Cantu at first against LH pitchers, and then give Votto a few selected starts against some LH'ers once he gets comfortable.

Joseph
09-03-2007, 06:29 PM
With the team facing teams 'in the race' [Brewers, Mets, Cards, Cubs etal] I think there is no cause to say these September AB's don't count because they will be facing pitchers who are trying. In other words, if Votto hits 300, it shouldn't be tempered by the usual September yeah-but syndrome.

oneupper
09-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Mark my words. Votto won't get more than 20 ABs.

Matt700wlw
09-03-2007, 06:41 PM

Knowing this franchise, Saarloos will see more innings than at bats for Votto.

May as well stick with what they know!

WVRedsFan
09-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Knowing this franchise, Saarloos will see more innings than at bats for Votto.

May as well stick with what they know!

My thoughts exactly. No matter what anyone thinks about the prospects of this club, Pete is playing to win because his future depends on it. And to Pete, winning means Hatteberg, Phillips, Gonzo, Edwin, Dunn, Hamilton-Hopper, Griffey, and Ross. And the usual suspects from the bullpen (tried Bray yesterday and Cout and McBeth today with bad results).

Falls City Beer
09-03-2007, 08:35 PM

All pinch-hit appearances. In extra innings.

MrCinatit
09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
It would not surprise me to see Coats get more at bats than Votto.

WVRedsFan
09-03-2007, 08:54 PM

What's the deal with Coats anyway? Is he fast? Is he a defensive genius? Is he a singles hitter? Bruce should be up here instead of him.

MrCinatit
09-03-2007, 09:09 PM
What's the deal with Coats anyway? Is he fast? Is he a defensive genius? Is he a singles hitter? Bruce should be up here instead of him.

I wish I knew...but with a cool name like Buck Coats, he has "instant fan favorite" written all over him (i.e., Marty and a couple of reporters will like him, but the rest of us will wonder how he is getting playing time over <fill in the blank>).

OnBaseMachine
09-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Wow. I'm impressed with Krivsky resisting the urge to call up Cueto due to him throwing too many innings this season. Good decision to have him shut it down.

Notes: More callups announced
Votto one of six brought up; Livingston to undergo surgery
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- More September callups are coming for the Reds, who announced Monday that another six players from Triple-A Louisville would be available beginning Tuesday.

None are more anticipated than Joey Votto. The 23-year-old first baseman/outfielder batted .294 with 22 home runs, 92 RBIs and a .381 on-base percentage. A 2002 second-round Draft pick, he was the Bats' most valuable player and the International League's rookie of the year.

"He's earned it. He had an excellent year at Triple-A," said Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky. "It's up to [interim manager Pete Mackanin] how he's used. I'm sure he'll get some exposure. First time in the big leagues, he's excited."

"He will be playing, whether it's on a daily basis -- that's to be determined," Mackanin said. "We're going to talk with him when he gets here. He'll certainly play."

Also being recalled are three relievers that struggled over previous big league stints this season -- Todd Coffey, Brad Salmon and Kirk Saarloos. Outfielder Buck Coats, who was acquired in a trade with the Cubs last week, and catcher Ryan Hanigan will also be available.

Two top prospects that didn't get the call were outfielder Jay Bruce and pitcher Johnny Cueto.

Bruce, 20, started at Class A Sarasota and finished at Louisville. Over three different levels, he batted .319 with 26 homers and 89 RBIs. The Reds' first-round pick in 2005, he batted .301 with 11 homers and 25 RBIs in 50 games at Triple-A.

"I talked to Jay last Tuesday night," Krivsky said. "I brought him into [Louisville manager] Rick Sweet's office. We had a great talk. He fully understands our position in terms of the ability to get at-bats here, or the lack thereof."

Cueto, 21, was 12-9 with a 3.07 ERA in 28 starts and also pitched at three levels this season. He pitched seven innings for a win at Double-A Chattanooga on Monday, which brought his season total to 161 1/3.

"He's gotten plenty of innings," Krivsky said. "Johnny had an excellent year. He got a taste of Triple-A. I think he's pitching some winter ball this year. That hasn't been finalized yet."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070903&content_id=2186443&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

KronoRed
09-03-2007, 09:35 PM
I'll be pleasantly surprised if Votto gets more then 20 at bats, Mack needs all the wins he can muster.

mth123
09-03-2007, 09:37 PM
No mention of Homer in Sheldon's article. Has he slipped that much?

oneupper
09-03-2007, 09:39 PM

Homer who? :D

OnBaseMachine
09-03-2007, 09:45 PM

Krivsky has already said Homer will stay in Sarasota and work on the side with one of the pitching coaches/instructors.

Ron Madden
09-03-2007, 10:50 PM

That wouldn't surprise me eighther.

I have no faith in Pete Mackanin, he is just a clone of Jerry Narron.

pedro
09-03-2007, 10:56 PM
That wouldn't surprise me eighther.

I have no faith in Pete Mackanin, he is just a clone of Jerry Narron.

You know, I'm not saying this to advocate Pete Mackanin in any way but to say he is a clone of Jerry Narron is pretty lame IMO. Dislike him for who he is? Fine. But at least do more than make weak over generalizations as a method of critique. It just rings pretty hollow to me.

Ron Madden
09-03-2007, 11:13 PM
In my humble opinion, Narron and Mackanin are very similar in thier Managing styles. Splitting the LH and RH up in the lineup and always going by "THE BOOK". I could be wrong.

What do you see that makes them different?

Ron Madden
09-03-2007, 11:25 PM
I'd like to see Joey Votto play on a regular basis the rest of the year.

I didn't realize that EE is only 8 months older than Votto.

redsfan4445
09-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Well I thought Jorgenson would get a return call since he did hit a couple big homers...who is Hannigan? Why in earth is Saarloos even allowed back much less Coffey? they havent shown they want to stay in the majors!! they shoudl have brought up Bruce to see if he is the real deal. if he is, then the decision on not keeping Dunn would have been easy..If he faltered you keep Dunn... I say the moves Mack has made this past week since the double header have not made me feel he deserves to come back.. Ellison .056 instead of Cantu, Keppenger or Hopper?? PLEASE!!! Thats a smack to Harrang. what if the other guys hit a big homer?? maybe Mack is being told WHO to pinch hit/play? or Mack is getting back at Wayne because he asked if he was really going to get a chance, so he decided to play guys a normal want-to-get-the job would NEVER do!!

harangatang
09-04-2007, 12:02 AM
You know, I'm not saying this to advocate Pete Mackanin in any way but to say he is a clone of Jerry Narron is pretty lame IMO.It's pretty simple, Krivsky is calling the shots not Mackanin. It's most likely the same thing that happened while Narron was manager of the Reds. Instead of being pretty lame, I think it's brilliant that someone made the connection that the managing style of this team hasn't changed. In fact it's especially brilliant because it seems that no one remembers that Krivsky is filling out the lineup card every day.

pedro
09-04-2007, 12:04 AM
In my humble opinion, Narron and Mackanin are very similar in thier Managing styles. Splitting the LH and RH up in the lineup and always going by "THE BOOK". I could be wrong.

What do you see that makes them different?

I think they handle the pitching staff much differently.

I think they handle EE much differently.

I think they handle the media much differently.

I think they handle the catchers much differently.

pedro
09-04-2007, 12:07 AM
It's pretty simple, Krivsky is calling the shots not Mackanin. It's most likely the same thing that happened while Narron was manager of the Reds. Instead of being pretty lame, I think it's brilliant that someone made the connection that the managing style of this team hasn't changed. In fact it's especially brilliant because it seems that no one remembers that Krivsky is filling out the lineup card every day. Kudos to Mr. Ron Madden.

sure, they both bat Phillips 4th a lot and that reportedly has Krivsky's fingerprints all over it but if we already know (or at least suspect) that's coming from Krivsky what's so brilliant about making a comparison between two guys and calling one a clone of the other when the one thing you point to that they share in common is something they were both being directed to do by the GM?

Ron Madden
09-04-2007, 01:16 AM
I think they handle the pitching staff much differently.

I think they handle EE much differently.

I think they handle the media much differently.

I think they handle the catchers much differently.

I agree Mackanin handles the bullpen better.

He might not be as hard on Edwin.

I dont see a big difference in the way they handle the media.

Mack is letting Javy start more often. (Ross' injury could be a factor).

I respect your opinion. Like I said, I could be wrong.

Big Klu
09-04-2007, 01:24 AM
I wish I knew...but with a cool name like Buck Coats, he has "instant fan favorite" written all over him (i.e., Marty and a couple of reporters will like him, but the rest of us will wonder how he is getting playing time over <fill in the blank>).

Buck Coats...what a great name! It's like "Dirk Diggler", or "Reed Rothchild"! :D

Team Clark
09-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Buck Coats...what a great name! It's like "Dirk Diggler", or "Reed Rothchild"! :D

Wow... you left out "Corky Miller"?? an ex-Red? a perfect name drop in this post!! :D

GAC
09-04-2007, 04:10 AM
Krivsky has already said Homer will stay in Sarasota and work on the side with one of the pitching coaches/instructors.

And that is exactly where he should be too IMHO. We need to back off this kid and not try to rush him. He needs to develop his secondary pitches or we're gonna have another Kerry Wood on our hands.

GAC
09-04-2007, 04:30 AM
It's pretty simple, Krivsky is calling the shots not Mackanin. It's most likely the same thing that happened while Narron was manager of the Reds. Instead of being pretty lame, I think it's brilliant that someone made the connection that the managing style of this team hasn't changed. In fact it's especially brilliant because it seems that no one remembers that Krivsky is filling out the lineup card every day.

I don't believe that for one second (Krivsky filling out the lineup card).

Notes: More callups announced
Votto one of six brought up; Livingston to undergo surgery
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- More September callups are coming for the Reds, who announced Monday that another six players from Triple-A Louisville would be available beginning Tuesday.

None are more anticipated than Joey Votto. The 23-year-old first baseman/outfielder batted .294 with 22 home runs, 92 RBIs and a .381 on-base percentage. A 2002 second-round Draft pick, he was the Bats' most valuable player and the International League's rookie of the year.

"He's earned it. He had an excellent year at Triple-A," said Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky. "It's up to [interim manager Pete Mackanin] how he's used. I'm sure he'll get some exposure. First time in the big leagues, he's excited."

I think some are trying to make a really big deal out of Krivsky's involvement, and that his managers are nothing more then puppets inwhich he is pulling the strings.

And I gleaned this from an earlier article when Mackanin was given the interim manager job.

Notes: Mackanin free to experiment

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070713&content_id=2084178&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

NEW YORK -- While still holding the "interim" tag in his title as Reds manager, Pete Mackanin doesn't have the benefit of long-term job security.

It's made the team's present a little more interesting. "Because of my situation, I have a little freedom to experiment," Mackanin said.

On Friday against the Mets, Mackanin decided to move utility player Ryan Freel back into the leadoff spot and started him at third base in Edwin Encarnacion's place. Norris Hopper started in center field and batted second.

During Thursday's 3-2 loss to the Mets, Mackanin made a gutsy move by calling on rookie reliever Jared Burton in a pressure-packed eighth inning with two men on and one out in a one-run game. Burton hadn't pitched for the Reds since June 5, and he'd never entered a big-league game with inherited runners. But he put out the fire.

General manager Wayne Krivsky hasn't dictated that Mackanin use certain players or lineups.

"I think [Krivsky] basically wanted a change of atmosphere more than anything," said Mackanin, who took over for Jerry Narron on July 1.

"He's on his own," Krivsky said. "He's managing the game. It's not my area to talk about lineups and strategy. That's not what my role is. If he asks me a question, I'll give him my opinion. If I ask him a question, he'll give me his opinion. He's using his own instincts and [doing] what he thinks will win the game."

Last winter at Redsfest I asked Krivsky about moving Jr to RF and he told me, and was very adament about it... "It's not my role to tell the manager where to play his players. That is the manager's decision, and I am not going to make his job harder or try to usurp that."

icehole3
09-04-2007, 05:46 AM
What are you looking for, from both Mack and Votto, ice?

The way I'd handle Votto is this: he is the first baseman on this team, at least against RH pitchers to start with. Hatty's been fine, but I'd have him take a seat and be a PH off the bench for now. Cantu at first against LH pitchers, and then give Votto a few selected starts against some LH'ers once he gets comfortable.

Im looking for him to see extensive playing time, Hatteburg shouldnt start another game this year unless Votto is in the outfield. If Hatteburg has more at-bats than Votto something is wrong.

The Baumer
09-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Ah, I kind of hate to start Saarloos' arbitration clock so early.

BRM
09-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Im looking for him to see extensive playing time, Hatteburg shouldnt start another game this year unless Votto is in the outfield. If Hatteburg has more at-bats than Votto something is wrong.

I think you have set yourself up for some disappointment.

Matt700wlw
09-04-2007, 03:28 PM

What about the "hunt" they're in????????

flyer85
09-04-2007, 03:30 PM
I think you have set yourself up for some disappointment.I would be surprised if Votto gets more than the occasional start. I believe the Reds FO sees Hatty as the LH part of a platoon for the Reds 1B job in 2008.

BRM
09-04-2007, 03:31 PM
I would be surprised if Votto gets more than the occasional start. I believe the Reds FO sees Hatty as the LH part of a platoon for the Reds 1B job in 2008.

I agree. Hatteberg/Cantu is the likely 1B combo next season.

Highlifeman21
09-04-2007, 03:43 PM
I agree. Hatteberg/Cantu is the likely 1B combo next season.

This might not be a popular view, but I could definitely live with a Hatteberg/Cantu offensive platoon for 2008, if that means we flip Votto to address other needs of this dismal team.

Defensively, I would rather slam my hand in my car door repeatedly than stomach Hatteberg/Cantu at 1B, but I think those two can combine to OPS North of .825.

I just don't get the feeling that this organization has long term plans involving Votto, which means to me that we really should flip Votto for other needs, aka a long term C, or some more pitching help.

Matt700wlw
09-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Defensively, I would rather slam my hand in my car door repeatedly than stomach Hatteberg/Cantu at 1B, but I think those two can combine to OPS North of .825.

I wrote a promo about slamming your hand in a car door....maybe it will be on the radio soon :D

flyer85
09-04-2007, 03:54 PM
This might not be a popular view, but I could definitely live with a Hatteberg/Cantu offensive platoon for 2008, if that means we flip Votto to address other needs of this dismal team.One thing to note is that Cantu does not have platoon splits. Over his career he does slightly better versus RHPs.

Hatty will be 38, how likely is he to keep it up?

There are some hard decisions to be made in the off-season and the FO had better be right on almost all of them.

Matt700wlw
09-04-2007, 03:56 PM
One thing to note is that Cantu does not have platoon splits. Over his career he does slightly better versus RHPs.

I'm convinced that numbers mean less to the Reds than "the book."

Ron Madden
09-04-2007, 03:59 PM
One thing to note is that Cantu does not have platoon splits. Over his career he does slightly better versus RHPs.

Hatty will be 38, how likely is he to keep it up?

There are some hard decisions to be made in the off-season and the FO had better be right on almost all of them.

I'm afraid Hatty could end up having the type of season Aurilia had thiis year. :(

osuceltic
09-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Any thoughts on Maloney not getting a call-up? I definitely agree with the decision on Cueto, but thought we might get a look at Maloney.

flyer85
09-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Any thoughts on Maloney not getting a call-up? I definitely agree with the decision on Cueto, but thought we might get a look at Maloney.Getting a look just isn't that big of a deal, especially with young pitchers. Save the arms of the young guys in a lost season. Reds will get a look in spring training, and if there aren't serious changes made in the off-season Maloney could have a good shot at the rotation to begin the season.

Chip R
09-04-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm afraid Hatty could end up having the type of season Aurilia had thiis year. :(

I'm not too worried about that. If he's the starter and he has a poor season, he goes to the bench and Votto plays. If he plays well, all the better and maybe he can be traded.

flyer85
09-04-2007, 04:19 PM
maybe he can be traded.like this year? ;)

Ron Madden
09-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Just worried about Votto being traded in the off season and having to depend on a Hatteburg/Cantu platoon.

fearofpopvol1
09-04-2007, 04:41 PM
I kind of have this suspicion that Dunn's option will be picked up, but that he will be shipped out at some point next year for prospects and Votto will take over in LF. Same with Griffey being shipped out (after 600) for prospects and Bruce taking over.

KronoRed
09-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm not too worried about that. If he's the starter and he has a poor season, he goes to the bench and Votto plays. If he plays well, all the better and maybe he can be traded.

Bench the solid veteran? parish the thought

BRM
09-04-2007, 05:40 PM
From C. Trent:

Votto will start at first tomorrow against the right hander

Matt700wlw
09-04-2007, 05:41 PM
I may have to go tomorrow...

BRM
09-04-2007, 06:29 PM
More from John Fay:

Call-up talk

Catcher Ryan Hanigan was called up instead of the Ryan Jorgensen because Jorgensen "had some personal things he had to deal with."

Joey Votto is not starting tonight because left-hander Oliver Perez is pitching for the Mets. Votto will start Wednesday's day game. The Reds told him two days ago. "I couldn't sleep," he said. "I ended up staying up until 5 in the morning watching The Office reruns."

It was the first time Votto stepped foot in the Great American Ball Park.

"I told I wasn't going to come to a game or watch a game here until I got called up," he said.

Scott Hatteberg understands that Votto is going to play.

"I figured he was going to play," he said. "They didn't bring him up to eat Slush Puppies. If I'm the GM, I'd do the same thing. They've got to look at some people now. They already know what my tired act can do."

A little more from C. Trent:

Pete said Votto would be playing first base for him. Don't expect him to see a whole lot of time in the outfield.

pedro
09-04-2007, 06:31 PM
what is a "slush puppy"

it sounds kind of gross.

Matt700wlw
09-04-2007, 06:32 PM
http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/assets/slush-puppie.jpg

Chip R
09-04-2007, 06:47 PM
I like Hatteberg's attitude. If it were Rich Aurelia, we'd never hear the end of his griping about not playing regularly.

redsmetz
09-04-2007, 06:48 PM
what is a "slush puppy"

it sounds kind of gross.

It's a frozen drink - actually the company originally here in Cincinnati.

http://www.cnbrown.com/img/SlushPuppieCup.gif

redsmetz
09-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I like Hatteberg's attitude. If it were Rich Aurelia, we'd never hear the end of his griping about not playing regularly.

I agree - I very much like his attitude. Hatteberg is a team player. I have no problem with picking up his option and having him off the bench next year.

pedro
09-04-2007, 06:49 PM
sounds like a slushy made of hush puppies to me.

icehole3
09-04-2007, 06:59 PM
It's a frozen drink - actually the company originally here in Cincinnati.

http://www.cnbrown.com/img/SlushPuppieCup.gif

It was a big item in the local seven 11's back in the 70's. It was a great drink to curve the munchies.

Eric_Davis
09-04-2007, 07:20 PM
It was a big item in the local seven 11's back in the 70's. It was a great drink to curve the munchies.

7-11's have always had the Slurpees, never the Slush Puppies.

"While visiting a competitor's store in 1965, a 7-Eleven zone manager came across one of Mitchell's machines and thought that it had a huge potential for success. In the Fall of 1965, 7-Eleven purchased three machines to test the product in their stores. They were an immediate success, and by the Spring of 1967, the machines were in almost every 7-Eleven&#174; store.

The Slurpee mark was created in May 1967 during a brainstorming session at 7-Eleven's in-house ad agency. While drinking the product through a straw, agency director Bob Stanford commented that it made a slurping sound."

fearofpopvol1
09-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Scott Hatteberg, what a class act. How can you not want that guy on your team? I hope after he retires the Reds bring him as a hitting instructor and/or a coach of some kind. I'm a big fan.

Matt700wlw
09-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Hatteberg....a true pro.

vaticanplum
09-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Holy mother of freaking schlep. I just got a good look at Joey Votto's face for the first time on TV. That kid looks like he walked straight out of my family and into Great American Ball Park. That is eerie. I had a very scary split second chain of reactions that went -- wow that kid is kind of cu... -- wait that kid looks exactly like all my cous.. -- ahh AHH AHHHHHH NOOOOOO!!! So that was fun. But yeeesh.

Anyway, Scott Hatteberg is joy and perfection molded into man.

KittyDuran
09-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Anyway, Scott Hatteberg is joy and perfection molded into man.He's OK... like the hair...;)

fearofpopvol1
09-05-2007, 10:06 PM
This is encouraging to read (from Reds.com)...

Mackanin, who batted Votto eighth, plans to get as much of a look at the prospect as possible in the season's final month.

"You don't want to judge a guy on one day," Mackanin said. "He certainly made a great impression. First impressions are certainly lasting."

RFS62
09-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Hatteberg....a true pro.

Absolutely.

I'm going to hate to see him go.

Tom Servo
09-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Scott Hatteberg for manager.

redsmetz
09-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Scott Hatteberg for manager.

I think Hatteberg was voted most likely to be a manager by his fellow players last year. I can't find a link to the article, but he's always struck me as a smart ballplayer. This situation with Votto shows he's a team player, self-deprecating and just a topnotch guy. There might be a roster crunch, but I think we should pick up Hatte's option. I like him off the bench. I also like having the option and dealing him if we can get a Conine-like return.

Matt700wlw
09-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Absolutely.

I'm going to hate to see him go.

I could see him coaching in the future.

I would have no problem with it being here, or in the Reds system.