PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce, BA Minor League Player of the Year?

dougdirt
09-03-2007, 06:16 PM
According to C Trent Rosecrans, the award is Jays.

Anyway, Wayne said Bruce will be invited to major league camp next spring. He is also headed to Arizona for instructional league play and then will paly with Team USA in November. Wayne said he talked to Jay in Louisville on Tuesday about the decision.

Also, Wayne Krivsky said Jay Bruce had won Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year award for this season.

Not that I doubted he would not win the award, becuase lets be honest, there was no legit competition the moment Justin Upton was called up.

GoReds33
09-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Not a shock. Bruce had a terrific year. It was also pretty obdvious that he was coming to camp next year.

OnBaseMachine
09-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Congrats to Jay. He deserves it more than anyone else. He had an unbelievable year and I expect more of the same next season. I fully expect him to win a job as a starting OF during spring training.

HBP
09-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Yep, congrats to Jay. Of course we all knew he'd be a big time prospect, but I certainly didn't expect him to be this good this soon. Still, as for playing for the Reds, somebody has to go. He certainly won't get any time if Dunn, Hamilton, and Jr are still in Cincy. Since they have no intention to bring him up this year, this situation won't be resolved for awhile.

BoydsOfSummer
09-03-2007, 06:41 PM
next year's ryan braun hopefully!

edabbs44
09-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Justin Upton was named Sports Weekly Minor League POY.

dougdirt
09-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Justin Upton was named Sports Weekly Minor League POY.

Fools.

Unassisted
09-06-2007, 07:42 PM
http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18790849&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512588&rfi=6

West Brook grad Jay Bruce to be named minor league player of the year
By CHRIS DABE , The Enterprise

Former West Brook baseball player Jay Bruce will be named Baseball America's minor league player of the year Friday, according to his mother, Martha.

An outfielder in the Cincinnati Reds organization, Jay Bruce learned of the award last week but declined to talk about it until it was officially announced. An announcement will be made Friday, according to baseballamerica.com.

"He's more excited about this award than when he was drafted," Martha Bruce said Thursday.

The announcement comes less than a week after Lumberton native Clay Buchholz threw a no-hitter for the Boston Red Sox in his second major-league start.

Bruce began the season with Single-A Sarasota, Fla., but ended at Triple-A Louisville. A left-handed hitter, he batted .319 with 26 home runs and 89 RBI. He struck out 135 times.

Bruce will not be added to the Reds' expanded roster this month, the Cincinnati Post reported. Bruce was selected 12th overall in the 2005 draft.

dougdirt
09-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Its official today

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/264852.html

FIRELEFT
09-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Great Article!!!!!!!!!
I'm 37 and I think Jay is more mature than I am.

BoydsOfSummer
09-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Congrats to a fine young man. He is what you want all your first rounders to be.

Az. Reds Fan
09-07-2007, 12:49 PM
"I'm just so excited about the future of the organization," Bruce says. "For all the Reds fans, be patient. The ability we have here in the minor leagues is going to be up there eventually. And the Reds are talented, it's not that they're a bad team. We have a lot of guys down here who can contribute in the big leagues and we're going to make some noise up there soon."

What a great quote, kind a gives you a warm fuzzy.

RedLegSuperStar
09-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Previous Winners:

1981--Mike Marshall, 1b, Albuquerque (Dodgers)
1982--Ron Kittle, of, Edmonton (White Sox)
1983--Dwight Gooden, rhp, Lynchburg (Mets)
1984--Mike Bielecki, rhp, Hawaii (Pirates)
1985--Jose Canseco, of, Huntsville/Tacoma (Athletics)
1986--Gregg Jefferies, ss, Columbia/Lynchburg/Jackson (Mets)
1987--Gregg Jefferies, ss, Jackson/Tidewater (Mets)
1988--Tom Gordon, rhp, Appleton/Memphis/Omaha (Royals)
1989--Sandy Alomar, c, Las Vegas (Padres)
1990--Frank Thomas, 1b, Birmingham (White Sox)
1991--Derek Bell, of, Syracuse (Blue Jays)
1992--Tim Salmon, of, Edmonton (Angels)
1993--Manny Ramirez, of, Canton/Charlotte (Indians)
1994--Derek Jeter, ss, Tampa/Albany/Columbus (Yankees)
1995--Andruw Jones, of, Macon (Braves)
1996--Andruw Jones, of, Durham/Greenville/Richmond (Braves)
1997--Paul Konerko, 1b, Albuquerque (Dodgers)
1998--Eric Chavez, 3b, Huntsville/Edmonton (Athletics)
1999--Rick Ankiel, lhp, Arkansas/Memphis (Cardinals)
2000--Jon Rauch, rhp, Winston-Salem/Birmingham (White Sox)
2001--Josh Beckett, rhp, Brevard County/Portland (Marlins)
2002--Rocco Baldelli, of, Bakersfield/Orlando/Durham (Devil Rays)
2003--Joe Mauer, c, Fort Myers/New Britain (Twins)
2004--Jeff Francis, lhp, Tulsa/Colorado Springs (Rockies)
2005--Delmon Young, of, Montgomery/Durham (Devil Rays)
2006--Alex Gordon, 3b, Wichita (Royals)

podgejeff_
09-07-2007, 02:04 PM
That's some great company to have.

Joseph
09-07-2007, 02:05 PM
With all the Fall League and Team USA stuff, is anyone at all worried Jay may get worn out? Maybe I'm just being over reactive. He does have the month of September off after all.

Luvsbaseball
09-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Great Article!!!!!!!!!
I'm 37 and I think Jay is more mature than I am.

LOL.... Yeah, i think so too.....:p:

FIRELEFT
09-07-2007, 02:26 PM
LOL.... Yeah, i think so too.....:p:

He's got u beat too.;)

NJReds
09-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Congrats to Jay. He had a great year.

FIRELEFT
09-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Also Congrats to Jay's Family.
U have raised a nice young man and I'm sure you are more proud about that than what he has done on the field.

dougdirt
09-07-2007, 03:18 PM
With all the Fall League and Team USA stuff, is anyone at all worried Jay may get worn out? Maybe I'm just being over reactive. He does have the month of September off after all.

Jay isn't playing fall ball exactly. He will be spending the fall practicing with Team USA and competing with them for a week or two in November.

GoReds33
09-07-2007, 03:33 PM
That's some great company to have.Thats terrific company. This guys future looks really bright.:cool:

Cyclone792
09-07-2007, 04:02 PM
First of all, congrats to Jay Bruce. He most definitely deserved this award!

If the Reds would have called him up this month, then I could see getting burned out being somewhat of a possibility Bruce. But since they didn't call him up (and this is one reason why I'm fine with the Reds not calling him up), I think Bruce will be pretty well-rested and ready to go in the fall with Team USA.

BTW, Jay Bruce reportedly spent several months last offseason working out with Adam Dunn down in Texas, and now this season we've seen some of the development Bruce has shown. I do find it a bit ironic that Bruce had a monster season in three levels of the minor leagues after spending last offseason with a guy who's perceived as being lazy by a good number of clueless Reds fans.

Me personally, I hope Dunn and Bruce get together again this offseason and many more offseasons in the future, and I also wouldn't mind at all if they were playing alongside each other in GABP for a few years.

dougdirt
09-07-2007, 04:09 PM
BTW, Jay Bruce reportedly spent several months last offseason working out with Adam Dunn down in Texas, and now this season we've seen some of the development Bruce has shown. I do find it a bit ironic that Bruce had a monster season in three levels of the minor leagues after spending last offseason with a guy who's perceived as being lazy by a good number of clueless Reds fans.

Agreed.

texasdave
09-07-2007, 07:18 PM
I do find it a bit ironic that Bruce had a monster season in three levels of the minor leagues after spending last offseason with a guy who's perceived as being lazy by a good number of clueless Reds fans.

Adam Dunn came into Spring Training this season in markedly better shape than in previous seasons. He even so much as admitted that he hadn't worked as hard on some areas of his game as he should have. Over the winter he decided he wanted to be great instead of just good (i.e. - slide by on his natural talent). What I don't find a bit ironic is that he was given pretty much a free pass. At the end of 2006 it was obvious that Dunn was carrying around too much weight. Maybe that is why he tailed off so badly last season. Maybe losing that weight and being in better shape is the reason why he is finishing much more strongly in 2007. I don't know for certain, but it seems very possible to me.

MrCinatit
09-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Gee, I wonder who the number one prospect will be at the start of next year?

This is great news - and looking at the list of past winners, that is quite a good list containing some excellent players. Hopefully, he will blow everyone of them out of the water in the end, and all of it will be with the Reds.

OnBaseMachine
09-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Bruce named Minors Player of the Year
Slugging outfielder joins elite fraternity with prestigious honor
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The term "can't miss prospect" can be a risky one to tag on a young player. But outfielder Jay Bruce joined an elite list that hasn't had many misses over the years.

On Friday, the 20-year-old Bruce became the first member of the Reds' organization to be named the Minor League Player of the Year by Baseball America.

Previous winners of the award include Manny Ramirez (1993), Derek Jeter (1994), Andruw Jones (1995-96), Josh Beckett (2001) and Joe Mauer (2003).

The Reds' first-round Draft pick (12th overall) in 2005, Bruce advanced from Class A Sarasota to Triple-A Louisville this season and batted .319 with 26 homers and 89 RBIs. His 80 extra-base hits and 306 total bases were both ranked second in the Minor Leagues.

"He had a fantastic year at all three levels," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "The Triple-A thing wasn't planned, but he made the most of the opportunity and showed us he could compete at the next-to-highest level."

In 67 games at Sarasota, Bruce batted .325 with 11 homers and then spent 16 games at Double-A Chattanooga, where he batted .333 with four homers.

Injuries this summer left the organization shorthanded for outfielders at Louisville. Bruce was promoted for what was supposed to be a temporary stay.

"I remember the call from [player development director] Terry Reynolds," Krivsky said. "[He said,] 'Hey Wayne, do you mind if we send Bruce to Triple-A? It's only going to be for five days.' It ended up being the rest of the season."

Bruce batted .301 with 11 homers and 25 RBIs in 50 games at Triple-A. However, he was not among Cincinnati's September callups this week because the club felt he would not get enough at-bats.

"He showed he could handle the next level and had a very good year overall," Krivsky said.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070907&content_id=2195028&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Screwball
09-07-2007, 11:39 PM
I fully expect him to win a job as a starting OF during spring training.

Over who? Or do you think somebody will be traded before then?

OnBaseMachine
09-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Over who? Or do you think somebody will be traded before then?

My hope is Griffey will be traded for pitching and the Reds go with an outfield of Dunn/Bruce/Hamilton.

mth123
09-08-2007, 12:16 AM
My hope is Griffey will be traded for pitching and the Reds go with an outfield of Dunn/Bruce/Hamilton.

:thumbup:

Jay Bruce
09-08-2007, 02:21 PM
I have no problem leaving Bruce in Louisville for another year, as I would like him to work on his plate discipline for another season. The 47/135 BB/K ratio Bruce had for the season does not suggest immediate success at the major league level for Bruce. I think another season in the minors, where he can see the pitchers for a whole year, and make adjustments throughout the year will be beneficial for Bruce, especially since we can possibly have Dunn, Hamilton and Griffey signed for next year. Now, if we can get some good pitching for Griffey I wouldn't be adverse to trading him, and letting Bruce take his lumps in the majors, but I wouldn't trade him simply for the point of opening a spot up for Bruce next year.

Betterread
09-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Great news. His potential seems so vast at this particular moment in time. Question: Is he or Hamilton a better prospect for Major league centerfielder?

dougdirt
09-08-2007, 03:19 PM
I have no problem leaving Bruce in Louisville for another year, as I would like him to work on his plate discipline for another season. The 47/135 BB/K ratio Bruce had for the season does not suggest immediate success at the major league level for Bruce. I think another season in the minors, where he can see the pitchers for a whole year, and make adjustments throughout the year will be beneficial for Bruce, especially since we can possibly have Dunn, Hamilton and Griffey signed for next year. Now, if we can get some good pitching for Griffey I wouldn't be adverse to trading him, and letting Bruce take his lumps in the majors, but I wouldn't trade him simply for the point of opening a spot up for Bruce next year.
I think you will be half right. Jay probably spend half a season in Louisville until the trading deadline closes in.

dougdirt
09-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Great news. His potential seems so vast at this particular moment in time. Question: Is he or Hamilton a better prospect for Major league centerfielder?

Its a tough question. Josh Hamilton will likely produce better offensive numbers the next two seasons or so, but after that I think Bruce probably puts up better numbers. Also, some scouts still think CF is his future position, while others see him moving to a corner sooner than later. Give me Bruce though.

mth123
09-08-2007, 03:30 PM

But trading Griffey to open a spot for Bruce also has the effect of immediately and significantly improving the defense. I personally think that Harang and Arroyo work too hard and having JR out of RF so that some of those dinkers can be turned into outs should help quite a bit over a full season. There will be a residual positive effect on the bullpen as well.

Dumping Griffey's $4 Million buyout and acquiring whatever he can bring back is a bonus IMO.

Jay Bruce
09-08-2007, 03:52 PM
While Bruce will definitely bring better defense to the table, if Bruce were to be an everyday player next year, I think that his currently below average plate discipline will lead to an OPS in the .750 to .800 range, with an OBP between .320 to .340. Griffey on the other hand could very well OPS over .900 again next year, with an OBP in the .370 to .390 range again. I believe that the improvement in defense does not make up for the possible drop in OPS of .100 points. Because of that, I would not like to see the Reds trade Griffey for anyone who would just take his salary.

dougdirt
09-08-2007, 04:05 PM
MTH, you can say the exact same thing with Dunn. Both are under contract next year only.

mth123
09-08-2007, 04:27 PM
MTH, you can say the exact same thing with Dunn. Both are under contract next year only.

Agree in theory. Some differences though.

1. Dunn is 28 and could be signed as an offensive centerpiece for the next few years; an option that really does not exist with JR.

2. Dunn has been fairly durable and isn't a huge injury risk that could possibly go down at any time leaving the Reds with none of his production, none of the salary relief and nothing that could be gotten in return. Has one season of relative health wiped out the memory of a disappointing tenure that saw one of the game's all time greats fall apart before our very eyes? If the team is going to move them both (and I think that is possible), I'd prefer that Junior be the first to go before the next injury rears its ugly head. Add that Griffey is 38 and sometimes an age decline sets in quickly. Dunn doesn't have that risk either.

3. Dunn doesn't come with a $4 Million balloon payment at the end. Keeping Griffey starts 2009 with the Reds salary plan in a $4 Million hole that keeping Dunn does not require.

4. This is a much more minor consideration, but if one stays, I want that one to be playing LF. If Dunn goes, would Griffey move again?

I'd be willing to trade Dunn as well. For the reasons above, I'd want more back to pull the trigger.

dougdirt
09-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Agree in theory. Some differences though.

1. Dunn is 28 and could be signed as an offensive centerpiece for the next few years; an option that really does not exist with JR.
But he won't be.

2. Dunn has been fairly durable and isn't a huge injury risk that could possibly go down at any time leaving the Reds with none of his production, none of the salary relief and nothing that could be gotten in return. Has one season of relative health wiped out the memory of a disappointing tenure that saw one of the game's all time greats fall apart before our very eyes? If the team is going to move them both (and I think that is possible), I'd prefer that Junior be the first to go before the next injury rears its ugly head. Add that Griffey is 38 and sometimes an age decline sets in quickly. Dunn doesn't have that risk either.
If Dunn goes down next year though, the Reds are screwed with none of his production, no salary relief and will get nothing in return when he likely walks away for a bigger deal that the Reds won't be offering. Yes, Griffey is more likely to be injured than Dunn, however counting on it to happen to Griffey is probably not going through the Reds mind, nor should it be. As for disappointing tenure.... agree to disagree on that one. I don't think Griffey is going to be declining much next year.

3. Dunn doesn't come with a $4 Million balloon payment at the end. Keeping Griffey starts 2009 with the Reds salary plan in a $4 Million hole that keeping Dunn does not require.
No, but keeping Dunn does require at least 13.5 million next year, which is more than Griffey will be making next year.

4. This is a much more minor consideration, but if one stays, I want that one to be playing LF. If Dunn goes, would Griffey move again?

I'd be willing to trade Dunn as well. For the reasons above, I'd want more back to pull the trigger.

If Dunn goes, then I would move Hamilton to LF and let Jay play CF. Plenty of room will be covered in that outfield. As for wanting more back for Dunn.... the only way I think that happens is if the other team gets to negotiate a contract with him first, becuase in the end, he is not coming back to the Reds in 2009, regardless of what any of us think should happen, it won't happen.

mth123
09-08-2007, 05:23 PM
But he won't be..

You are probably right but that age difference gives Dunn more trade value IMO.

If Dunn goes down next year though, the Reds are screwed with none of his production, no salary relief and will get nothing in return when he likely walks away for a bigger deal that the Reds won't be offering. Yes, Griffey is more likely to be injured than Dunn, however counting on it to happen to Griffey is probably not going through the Reds mind, nor should it be. As for disappointing tenure.... agree to disagree on that one. I don't think Griffey is going to be declining much next year.. Right again, but given Dunn's history of playing 160 plus games each year versus Griffey's history of injury trouble, Dunn offers much less risk. As for age decline setting in quickly, a guy can go from having an all star caliber season to very pedestrian overnight. Case in point: Mike Schmidt 1987 .293/.388/.548/.936. Mike Schmidt 1988 .249/.337/.405/.742. In early 1989, Mike Schmidt retired. Not saying it will happen next year, but it is another risk that Griffey carries. Dunn being less risky should require a higher talent return than Griffey in any trade discussions.

No, but keeping Dunn does require at least 13.5 million next year, which is more than Griffey will be making next year..
Correct. Still overall Griffey will cost the Red's franchise or the franchise that acquires him $3 Million more than Dunn giving Griffey less trade value.

If Dunn goes, then I would move Hamilton to LF and let Jay play CF. Plenty of room will be covered in that outfield. As for wanting more back for Dunn.... the only way I think that happens is if the other team gets to negotiate a contract with him first, becuase in the end, he is not coming back to the Reds in 2009, regardless of what any of us think should happen, it won't happen.

Griffey's arm is ok in RF which is a major difference betwen RF and LF so that doesn't factor in as much (though Hamilton would be a big plus there as opposed to ok). Here is my reasoning though. Many people look at the OF defense and point to the balls making it through the gap and to the wall as the major factor (not saying you are asserting that) and I think moving either one of them will significantly address this issue. I personally think that more damage is done to the pitching staff by the little dinkers that fall in for singles. In General, its easier to cover for the LF in this instance because there are 2 athletic guys playing SS and 3B to assist in covering the area on the LF side. On the RF side, the 2B and 1B are generally less able to cover because they usually aren't as athletic (Phillips eases that though) and the 1B frequently needs to stay near the bag to hold a runner from advancing in the event of a catch. Simply said, the LF has more help, so I want the guy who needs more help playing there. As I stated earlier though, it isn't a major issue and all other things being equal this would probably not be anywhere in my decision process. I do think at this stage that Griffey is more prone to have balls fall in front of him than Dunn. I admit that may be because I have some expectation the JR can still get it where in Dunn's case I don't even consider the option. I just know that when I'm watching I see balls fall in front of JR that I think should be outs much more frequently than I do with Dunn. I doubt this really affects trade value much. They are both pretty bad and I would guess acquiring teams would want either only as LF or DH.

dougdirt
09-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Griffey could also go Hank Aaron and hit you 35-40 HR from 37-39, which I think it more likely than him going the Mike Schmidt route.

mth123
09-08-2007, 05:39 PM
Griffey could also go Hank Aaron and hit you 35-40 HR from 37-39, which I think it more likely than him going the Mike Schmidt route.

Don't dispute that. It is simply the risk issue requiring the higher return. The same reason I would want a higher return on a risky stock than a safe savings account. The more risk that I assume the more that needs to be potentially in it for me. That means since Dunn is less risky as a player, due to age and injury, by trading him and keeping Griffey I am assuming more risk than the trade partner, so I want more talent in return. Conversely, if I trade Griffey and keep Dunn, I have less risk and don't need as much in return.

Its really that simple for me.

AmarilloRed
09-09-2007, 03:11 AM
I suppose the question then would be what could you expect if you were to trade Griffey. The fact that you see Griffey as a greater risk might mean any prospective trading partners for the Reds would also likely see him that way, and we might not get much of a return in a trade.

Topcat
09-09-2007, 03:29 AM
MY question is this "if" Dunn accepts and off-season trade, which is possible. Yes I know in his contract it states he can not be dealt before a certain time. But he Knows he is being shopped and is agreeable on the destination he can be traded.

I feel Dunn is our strength card to deal in that it provides salary relief to spend on other options and also opens the oppurtunity to acquire talent back. Face it. For all of Adam's warts that can be identified on his over all game. There is no denying his ability to produce Hr's and Have a strong .ops and factor in if he has legitimate protection likke Beltran and Delgado he could become even more Lethal. Hello Aaron Heilman and Duaner Sanchez :D