PDA

View Full Version : The Call-Ups

AmarilloRed
09-03-2007, 11:20 PM
JUST GOT THIS: Tomorrow, the Reds are expected to recall from Louisville RHP Todd Coffey, RHP Kirk Saarloos, RHP Brad Salmon, 1B/OF Joey Votto (#19) and IF/OF Buck Coats (#63) and select from Louisville the contract of C Ryan Hanigan (#65).

When they play, Votto and Hanigan will become the ninth and 10th Reds players to make Major League debuts this season.

I like some of these call-ups. Votto and Salmon are good to see, and we can use another catcher. I am not too sure about Saarloos, Coffey, and our newest outfielder Buck Coats. I am surprised the called up Coats instead of Dickerson.

I copied this from C. Trent Rosecrans.

Jay Bruce
09-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Coffey definitely deserves another chance. I know that he has become a major whipping boy this year around Redszone, but his high ERA can be partly attributed to some horrible luck. He had a good K ratio at 7.25/9, and his K/BB was 2.12. His HR/9 has been a godawful 2.22/9, but his HR/FB has been a horrifyingly unluckly 27.5%. Couple that with a .358 BABIP, and you have a 6.04 ERA. I believe that this season can be chalked up to a small sample size, and that Coffey will get back on track next year.

I do agree about bringing up Saarloos, he has looked awful this year. By looking at his stats, Coats has poor power, so I assume that he is a pretty good fielder.

jnwohio
09-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Coffey definitely deserves another chance. I know that he has become a major whipping boy this year around Redszone, but his high ERA can be partly attributed to some horrible luck. He had a good K ratio at 7.25/9, and his K/BB was 2.12. His HR/9 has been a godawful 2.22/9, but his HR/FB has been a horrifyingly unluckly 27.5%. Couple that with a .358 BABIP, and you have a 6.04 ERA. I believe that this season can be chalked up to a small sample size, and that Coffey will get back on track next year.

I do agree about bringing up Saarloos, he has looked awful this year. By looking at his stats, Coats has poor power, so I assume that he is a pretty good fielder.

Coffey has had problems putting guys away even going back to last year when he supposedly had an OK year. This year Brantley was on him from early in spring training when he was getting ahead and not finishing guys.

As for luck. I guess any thing can be quantified if one tries hard enough but I am an older guy who is of the Bill Russell school (the basketball guy; not the former Dodger shortstop) when it comes to luck. As Russ always said, "It is better to be good than to be lucky because the good make their own luck". And I also believe the inverse applies at least equally.

It has been well chronicled on this site and other places what Coffey needs to do to turn himself around. If he does those things he will become a success and probably be around a while. If not he likely will be remembered as a short timer who seemed to have all the tools but couldn't over come some bad luck.

TheOnlyRedsFan
09-04-2007, 12:44 AM
bummer...
have to wait on Cueto and Bruce

Jay Bruce
09-04-2007, 01:42 AM
It has been well chronicled on this site and other places what Coffey needs to do to turn himself around. If he does those things he will become a success and probably be around a while. If not he likely will be remembered as a short timer who seemed to have all the tools but couldn't over come some bad luck.

It may very well be true that he is a short timer, but I am of the belief that luck plays a large part in baseball, and that it is largely out of the control of the player, no matter what Brantley says. I also believe that over a large enough sample size, luck will even out, and the 44 innings that Coffey pitched is not a large enough sample size to draw a clear conclusion from. He is still relatively young, has had previous success, good control, and can strike people out. I would keep giving him chances to right himself while he is still inexpensive, as he can still become a consistent reliever.

redsupport
09-04-2007, 01:46 AM
nice wishful thinking, he gives up too many hits, pitches like a moron and has no learning curve

AmarilloRed
09-04-2007, 01:52 AM
In any case, Coffey will now get the opportunity to prove he can turn things around. I hope Votto gets a lot of starts down the stretch, Salmon wins a roster spot in the month of September. I would also like to see Hanigan prove he is a better option than Jorgensen(who I wish was still here), and Coats show he could carry the coat of Dickerson, who I think should have been called up.

Jr's Boy
09-04-2007, 02:58 AM
Todd Coffey in a few years=Ricky Stone.

ChatterRed
09-04-2007, 08:59 AM
bummer...
have to wait on Cueto and Bruce

Even if Bruce sat on the bench all of September........the benefits of just being up here seeing what life as a major leaguer is like and talking with the players would be a plus. Now, he'll have to adapt when the pressure is on rather than when it's off. I think this is a big mistake. If he got into 4 or 5 games in the next month, that would be enough to get his feet wet. The pressure is off. No better time to initiate a rookie.

Also, we've gone through the gauntlet of 5th starters..........why not give Cueto a shot? This is ridiculous.

I'm a WK fan, but I disagree with not getting these two guys feet wet.

mound_patrol
09-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Even if Bruce sat on the bench all of September........the benefits of just being up here seeing what life as a major leaguer is like and talking with the players would be a plus. Now, he'll have to adapt when the pressure is on rather than when it's off. I think this is a big mistake. If he got into 4 or 5 games in the next month, that would be enough to get his feet wet. The pressure is off. No better time to initiate a rookie.

Also, we've gone through the gauntlet of 5th starters..........why not give Cueto a shot? This is ridiculous.

I'm a WK fan, but I disagree with not getting these two guys feet wet.

I think the reason we arent seeing Bruce and Cueto is the fact that the organization doesnt want to start the clock on arbitration.

dunner13
09-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I also think part of the reason your not seeing bruce or cueto is because wayne isnt expecting them to make the team out of spring training next year. So why bring them up if there going to be in the minors next year anyway. If they were going to be in the majors next year like votto then you dont really care about starting the arbitartion clock but if they wont be up here again til a year from now then why start the clock.

Not saying I agree with it just saying thats what I think they are thinking.

mound_patrol
09-04-2007, 10:23 AM
And I also just read that Cueto isnt up because he has thrown over 160 innings.

ChatterRed
09-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Wow. I guess his arm is about to fall off. (sarcasm)

mound_patrol
09-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Wow. I guess his arm is about to fall off. (sarcasm)

No you're probably right in thinking he'd be fine, but almost every organization is going to be cautious with the amount of innings a good prospect will throw. Look at the Joba Rules in New York. They aren't doing that just to make headlines. THey are also trying to protect that guy.

AmarilloRed
09-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Teams are always careful not to increase the amount of innings a top pitching prospect pitches at one time. They prefer to slowly increase the amount of innings.

GoReds33
09-04-2007, 03:53 PM
This group goes to show how Krivsky has built up the depth at the higher levels of the minors.

Orenda
09-04-2007, 05:06 PM
This group goes to show how Krivsky has built up the depth at the higher levels of the minors.

Saarloos, Coats and McBeth can be attributed to Krivsky. The rest have been around; interesting to see Krivsky went with Coats, his new acquisition, over Dickerson.

AmarilloRed
09-04-2007, 05:11 PM
It was Dickerson's first year at AAA, Wayne may have thought Chris needed more development.

Orenda
09-04-2007, 05:40 PM
It was Dickerson's first year at AAA, Wayne may have thought Chris needed more development.

yeah i just looked at their numbers I knew Dickerson stuck out some, but 130 k's in 350 ab's for a player who's main asset is speed and defense doesn't scream call-up.

BLEEDS
09-04-2007, 05:58 PM
I think the reason we arent seeing Bruce and Cueto is the fact that the organization doesnt want to start the clock on arbitration.

DING DING DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

SHOW HIM WHAT HE'S WON DON PARDO!!

If we were in the race, we might call these guys up if we needed them.

Otherwise, save them for next Spring Training.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

TexRed
09-04-2007, 07:26 PM
My hunch is that Cueto will make it up to the show next year prior to the all star break, after starting the season in AAA.

jnwohio
09-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Well I guess the ol' DeCafenator got struck tonight by more of that bad luck that seems to follow him around.

0-2 to the first man and failed to put him away. With a little luck Cantu might have blocked that rocket and gotten an out there on the 2nd hitter. But then why did DeCafentor groove one with 1st open to the third man? Seems they would have wanted to put the force back in order.

So his line is 4 faced, 3 hits (1 HR), 3 runs, 1 walk; no one retired.

Seems to me that at season's end if they need spots on the 40 man for younger guys aging out to where they need protected, they've got to cut their losses on Coffey and outright him. (who knows? LeatherPants just might claim him on waivers and save the Reds that million bucks Coffey is due next year).