PDA

View Full Version : Brad Salmon

AmarilloRed
09-04-2007, 02:27 AM
He was one of the September Call-Ups; so I will give him his own thread. He has been impressive this year, and I hope he does well and earns a roster spot. I will mention his 2007 Red stats:0-1, 3.92 ERA, 21 games, 20 2/3 IP, 18 hits, 9 runs, 9 earned, 3hr, 1 HBP, 8 walks, and 18 strikeouts. It is a small sample size, but he has done well so far, and I hope he continues to do well in the future.

Orenda
09-04-2007, 09:20 AM
I didn't think he earned a demotion before and the fact that Coffey and Majewski have been up and down without him getting another shot was ridiculous.

HBP
09-04-2007, 11:58 AM
In three out of his last four appearances with the Bats, he pitched exactly 3.0 innings. He might be relied on to be more of a long relief option for the Reds this time through.

ChatterRed
09-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I think the Reds may have caught a fish in a bottle with this guy.

mound_patrol
09-04-2007, 12:56 PM
I think the Reds may have caught a fish in a bottle with this guy.

If we caught a fish in the bottle with Salmon then we caught lightning in a bottle with Burton. I am big fans of both those guys

bigredmechanism
09-04-2007, 03:29 PM
if hes capable of going 3 or so innings, our bullpenn may not be such a sore point in 2008. one could only hope pete (or whoever it might be) doesn't blow his arm out kinda like what happened to scott williamson and danny graves a few years back. if you remember, graves was pretty serviceable at one point, and williamson was lights out for a good stretch, albeit they both ended up a big disappointment.

i could really see the 08 reds with one of the stronger bullpens in the majors. youngsters got some experience this season, we just need about 3 or 4 starters now haha

GoReds33
09-04-2007, 03:51 PM
If Salmon can shake off the nerves he had in his first sting he should be a mainstay in this bullpen based on his stuff.

SMcGavin
09-04-2007, 04:33 PM
I didn't think he earned a demotion before and the fact that Coffey and Majewski have been up and down without him getting another shot was ridiculous.

Agree completely, Salmon put up slightly better numbers than Majewski in AAA and much better results with the Reds. Good to see him back in the bigs.

jnwohio
09-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Agree completely, Salmon put up slightly better numbers than Majewski in AAA and much better results with the Reds. Good to see him back in the bigs.

The GM's rep wasn't invested with Salmon. Salmon did have some brutal times in AAA though. I was listening one nite (via internet) when they brought him on to start the 9th with a 1 run lead. He walked the first batter then went 3/2 to the second guy before giving up a walk off game loser.

AmarilloRed
09-05-2007, 12:11 AM
1 scoreless inning tonight with 2 walks and 1 strikeout to lower his ERA to 3.72. I believe he was demoted because he had some control issues. I think he will do well now though.

Degenerate39
09-09-2007, 07:18 PM
If Salmon can shake off the nerves he had in his first sting he should be a mainstay in this bullpen based on his stuff.

It worked for Burton

GoReds33
09-09-2007, 11:34 PM
It worked for BurtonYeah. You are right. Burton is a beast though.:)

StrikeIndicator
09-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Salmon pitched one shut out inning since being called up 10 days ago, anyone know what is going on?

then only Penpal to pitch less in Sept is Goosling who pitched on the 1st and hasn't been back since.

texasdave
09-13-2007, 09:45 PM
In fairness to Pete Mackanin, the REDS has been playing a string of teams that are still in at least nominal contention for the division title. I feel that when these games are being played they owe it to the other Cental Division teams involved to do their best. Even if, in doing their best, their own agenda is shoved to the side. I agree that Salmon, Mcbeth and a couple others should be run out there more often, but I can respect the baseball tradition that leans in the other direction.

jnwohio
09-13-2007, 10:48 PM
We will probably see these guys against the Giants and Astros plus in the final series of the year against the Cubs if the division is settled.

However, the Reds org probably wants to defend 4th from the Pirates/ Astros; and, after this series sweep against the Cards, depending how the Reds do in Milwuakee and Chicago, they may find themselves needing to decide how seriously they want to contest for 3rd.

Because of his situation, Pete isn't going to throttle back unless he gets specific orders to. I think he has a realistic chance to finish 12 games over .500 for his tenure; and maybe with the best record in the division, even the league, over that period. Those are huge credentials to take into the selection process. Who wouldn't go for them unles they were told to rein it in.

StrikeIndicator
09-14-2007, 09:10 AM
In fairness to Pete Mackanin, the REDS has been playing a string of teams that are still in at least nominal contention for the division title. I feel that when these games are being played they owe it to the other Cental Division teams involved to do their best. Even if, in doing their best, their own agenda is shoved to the side. I agree that Salmon, Mcbeth and a couple others should be run out there more often, but I can respect the baseball tradition that leans in the other direction.

McBeth has made 4 appearances in Sept, 1,3,5,9th
Bruton has appeared 4,5,8,11,12,13

AmarilloRed
09-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Brad Salmon appeared tonight, and did well. He struck out 2 in 1 inning of work, and lowered his ERA to 3.57. I hope he makes the club next year out of spring training.

SMcGavin
09-17-2007, 02:59 AM
Brad Salmon appeared tonight, and did well. He struck out 2 in 1 inning of work, and lowered his ERA to 3.57. I hope he makes the club next year out of spring training.

Me too, and I think he will.

AmarilloRed
09-22-2007, 03:37 AM
I noticed tonight that Salmon has only had 2 appearances in September, and in both of them he pitched effectively. I wonder if this means the Reds have already decided he will be in the bullpen in 2008? I am trying to figure out some other reason he has seen the least action of any of the bullpen callups, and that is what I have come up with so far.

StrikeIndicator
09-22-2007, 10:02 AM
I hope you are right.
Except:
1 he is not one of Wayne's guys
2 if you are right they should still be putting him out there
every couple of games to keep him sharp
3 the teams contention that they are going to play there best against everyone, and he did not pitch, and now against a non contender, he did not pitch at all

AmarilloRed
09-26-2007, 01:48 AM
It must have been a full moon. Brad Salmon made an appearance tonight. He went 2 /3 of an inning and struck out 1 to lower his ERA to 3.47. There should be an investigation if he is not on the Opening Day roster.:dunno: