PDA

View Full Version : Rock stars die earlier

Chip R
09-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Gee, I'm glad they did a study on this because I wouldn't have been able to make that connection.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070903/hl_nm/rockers_dc

KronoRed
09-04-2007, 12:11 PM
No kidding

Falls City Beer
09-04-2007, 12:12 PM
I understand that rock stars drink and do lots of drugs--and that those things can kill you over time if not immediately.

But what would compel a rock star to engage in autoerotic hanging, like Michael Hutchence?

Chip R
09-04-2007, 12:23 PM
But what would compel a rock star to engage in autoerotic hanging, like Michael Hutchence?

Probably the same thing that would compel anyone else to do that.

pedro
09-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I understand that rock stars drink and do lots of drugs--and that those things can kill you over time if not immediately.

According to what I've read, Michael was a big fan of fine wine and some other um, activities of a sexual nature, that were heightened by the sense of taste, which he apparently lost after a head injury a few years before his death.

LoganBuck
09-04-2007, 12:24 PM

My mother is a nurse, and she says that autoerotic asphyxiation is more common than you would like to believe. It is never publicized because it is a suicide issue, which the papers don't cover.

nate
09-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Or Kevin Gilbert...

GAC
09-04-2007, 05:39 PM
It could also be due to the poor medical outlook for impoverished American ex-pop stars who have no health insurance, he said.

:lol:

vaticanplum
09-04-2007, 07:57 PM
:lol:

Why is that funny? I know people like that.

edit: I just pictured Britney Spears. Now it's kind of funny.

For the record, I do not know anyone like Britney Spears.

Edskin
09-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Rock stars die earlier

Tell that to Keith Richards

GAC
09-05-2007, 06:42 AM
Why is that funny? I know people like that.

You know impoverished American ex-pop stars?

GAC
09-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Tell that to Keith Richards

He's the living dead.

RedFanAlways1966
09-05-2007, 07:22 AM
He's the living dead.

I think Ozzy Osbourne died sometime around 1985... at least his brain did.

GAC
09-05-2007, 07:33 AM
I think Ozzy Osbourne died sometime around 1985... at least his brain did.

I read awhile back that Ozzy is on several different types of medication for his "demensia" which basically drugs you out alot.

I have a cousin who has schizoprenia, and the daily medication they have him on has him walking around the house like a zombie while under his mother's care. If he goes of the medication, which he has, it's not pretty.

sonny
09-05-2007, 08:37 AM
This just in: Water is wet

redsmetz
09-05-2007, 09:01 AM
All I could think of with this thread was all those poor drummers for the band Spinal Tap....

vaticanplum
09-05-2007, 11:52 AM
You know impoverished American ex-pop stars?

I know people who had successful music careers and now scrounge for money and have no health insurance, yes. Why is that so unfathomable? If this article is to be believed, anyway, rock stars spend money when they have it. They're not financially conscious people by nature, largely, and are easily taken advantage of by financial handlers a lot of the time. Apart from a very small group of musicians who are spastastically famous and have their money invested -- and careers that can go on for decades -- a ton of musicians face financial problems when their careers take downturns. And they've often failed to develop skills that can lead them into jobs with health insurance. I think people might be shocked, actually, by how many currently successful musicians have no health coverage except when they're on tour.

nate
09-05-2007, 12:33 PM
I know people who had successful music careers and now scrounge for money and have no health insurance, yes. Why is that so unfathomable? If this article is to be believed, anyway, rock stars spend money when they have it. They're not financially conscious people by nature, largely, and are easily taken advantage of by financial handlers a lot of the time. Apart from a very small group of musicians who are spastastically famous and have their money invested -- and careers that can go on for decades -- a ton of musicians face financial problems when their careers take downturns. And they've often failed to develop skills that can lead them into jobs with health insurance. I think people might be shocked, actually, by how many currently successful musicians have no health coverage except when they're on tour.

I've made my entire living the past 20 years as a musician. I'm not "spastastically famous" or any other kind of famous. I have health insurance.

Its a choice to live that lifestyle.

I don't think I'd be shocked by how many currently successful musicians have no health coverage.

Not one bit.

Chip R
09-05-2007, 03:26 PM
All I could think of with this thread was all those poor drummers for the band Spinal Tap....

You can't really dust for vomit.

vaticanplum
09-05-2007, 06:34 PM
I've made my entire living the past 20 years as a musician. I'm not "spastastically famous" or any other kind of famous. I have health insurance.

Its a choice to live that lifestyle.

I don't think I'd be shocked by how many currently successful musicians have no health coverage.

Not one bit.

Of course it's a choice. That doesn't mean it isn't common.

GAC
09-05-2007, 09:36 PM
I know people who had successful music careers and now scrounge for money and have no health insurance, yes. Why is that so unfathomable?

Never said it was unfathomable. I got the impression that the article was referring to ex pop stars who held huge popularity, name recognition, and fame, for a short time (David Cassidy or Bobby Sherman "types") who then lost it all, and didn't manage it well/prepare for the future.

They still made more money in those few short years then the average person would see in two lifetimes.

vaticanplum
09-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Never said it was unfathomable. I got the impression that the article was referring to ex pop stars who held huge popularity, name recognition, and fame, for a short time (David Cassidy or Bobby Sherman "types") who then lost it all, and didn't manage it well/prepare for the future.

They still made more money in those few short years then the average person would see in two lifetimes.

I think that's a lot of what they're referring to as well. Let me be clear that I'm not in any way defending these choices. I just thought the original assertion was laughing at the idea of former pop stars being impoverished. Poor choices or not, it happens all the time.