PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Cueto.......

REDblooded
09-04-2007, 12:23 PM
This is for the guys on here that have seen more than just the stats on Cueto. What would you say his ceiling is, and what's his basement? Compare him to a recent major leaguer in relation to both ends of the spectrum.

jfleur87
09-06-2007, 11:45 AM
if he's a smaller, all out type pitcher, i'd like to think he compares to roy oswalt, but that could just be wishful thinking

paulrichjr
09-06-2007, 05:20 PM
He reminds me of Pedro Martinez when he was good. Seriously. :pray:

Superdude
09-06-2007, 07:24 PM
He reminds me of Pedro Martinez when he was good. Seriously.

Seriously? I'm all for being optimistic, but Pedro was completely off the charts stupid dominant when he was "good".

BucksandReds
09-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Does Cueto project to be a #1 starter? I thought that he had #2 potential

OnBaseMachine
09-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Does Cueto project to be a #1 starter? I thought that he had #2 potential

I think he's a #1a or a great number two. His stuff is electric and he has command of three plus or above average pitches. Maybe another Mario Soto?

paulrichjr
09-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Seriously? I'm all for being optimistic, but Pedro was completely off the charts stupid dominant when he was "good".

No I wasn't serious. Hence the praying face. I was trying to have faith. That being said...He is the same height and does have a really nice fastball. I do think it is interesting that one of Pedro's best pitches is his circle change. A circle change just happens to be taught very well by a guy who use to put on a Reds uni back in the 80s. Put Cueto and his 96 mile an hour fastball with a Mario Soto circle change and we might just have a poor man's Pedro Martinez. I'm dreaming but hey it could happen...

(note: After watching Cueto this week I would say that he dominates AA baseball but he has the same disease that Homer had. He didn't seem to use his offspeed very much. He would just keep dialing it up trying to blow it by a guy. It works in AA but I'm not so sure what success he will have early on with that strategy.)

dougdirt
09-06-2007, 11:38 PM
No I wasn't serious. Hence the praying face. I was trying to have faith. That being said...He is the same height and does have a really nice fastball. I do think it is interesting that one of Pedro's best pitches is his circle change. A circle change just happens to be taught very well by a guy who use to put on a Reds uni back in the 80s. Put Cueto and his 96 mile an hour fastball with a Mario Soto circle change and we might just have a poor man's Pedro Martinez. I'm dreaming but hey it could happen...

(note: After watching Cueto this week I would say that he dominates AA baseball but he has the same disease that Homer had. He didn't seem to use his offspeed very much. He would just keep dialing it up trying to blow it by a guy. It works in AA but I'm not so sure what success he will have early on with that strategy.)

To be fair, I listened to that game.... The announcers were commenting how much he was unlike himself in that he was throwing so many fastballs. You just went to a bad game in terms of him mixing things up.

fearofpopvol1
09-07-2007, 12:35 AM
I'd just be concerned about his frame. It seems like guys that size typically throw their arm out at some point and need surgery (something Pedro can attest to).

bucksfan2
09-07-2007, 08:22 AM
I'd just be concerned about his frame. It seems like guys that size typically throw their arm out at some point and need surgery (something Pedro can attest to).

IIRC Pedro had very few arm related injuries until later in his career. Lately he has been saddled with them but he isn't a spring chicken anymore. Being able to throw heat is a god given thing. If you are taller it gives you an advantage but there are very few things you can do to add velocity. Its like your vertical leap. You can do your best to improve it but people how can jump can, people who can throw 95 mph heat can.

RedsManRick
09-07-2007, 04:08 PM

I wonder how much that's just a perception. I mean, you could use any category of pitcher and that statement would still be pretty darn accurate.

dougdirt
09-07-2007, 04:11 PM
I dont remember who it was that did the study, but I think it may have been THT, but it showed that short pitchers isn't really the problem, as it is more likely the skinny pitchers who break down as they get older.

GoReds33
09-07-2007, 04:35 PM
I dont remember who it was that did the study, but I think it may have been THT, but it showed that short pitchers isn't really the problem, as it is more likely the skinny pitchers who break down as they get older.He is pretty skinny too. He's got both risk factors. That isn't a good sign.:cool:

dougdirt
09-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Being short is not a risk factor.

Superdude
09-07-2007, 05:06 PM
He is pretty skinny too.

5'10"/200 is definitely not skinny.

dougdirt
09-07-2007, 05:15 PM
5'10"/200 is definitely not skinny.

Depends where you look, but he is listed 183-198. Thats a pretty large difference there.
The Chattanooga Lookouts official site lists him at 183, while Milb.com lists him at 198.

Superdude
09-07-2007, 11:38 PM
200 seems a bit high. How hard is to weigh someone? I think they just hire that guy at Kings Island to take a guess. If I'm right on that, milb.com owes Cueto and Francisco a teddy bear.

REDblooded
05-27-2010, 09:33 PM
wheeee!

Superdude
05-27-2010, 09:41 PM
quality bump