PDA

View Full Version : Ugly pitching stat

texasdave
09-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Cincinnati has sent pitchers not named Harang, Arroyo or Lohse to the mound for 60 starts. Their collective ERA in those 60 starts is a nauseating 6.17. Before the end of the year these pitchers will have amassed in the area of 75 starts. It is doubtful that their ERA will drop significantly. In fact, would it surprise anyone if it went up? Those numbers indicate that the Reds will have started just about every other game this season in a hole. Since Lohse has been traded, the number of starts given to these pitchers will jump to about 90 next year. Who among them do you realistically expect to make a quantum leap forward?

Belisle - He appears to be getting worse as the season progresses. In fairness, he has pitched a huge amount of innings compared to previous year's workloads. Maybe his arm is tired. Doesn't put up huge strikeout totals and gives up lots of hits. A poor recipe for success. He will be 28 next year. If he is going to break out it better be in 2008. (QLF% - 33)

Livingston - Hurt. 'Nuff said. (QLF% - 0)

Dumatrait - Major league batters have not been very kind to him. Average stuff, IMO. Needs better control. He should improve, but probably won't improve nearly as much as he needs to. (QLF% - 10)

Ramirez - Hopefully his shoulder is stronger in 2008. Has experienced limited success in the majors. If any one of these pitchers is going to take a giant step forward, I would expect it to be Elizardo. (QLF% - 40)

Bailey - Doesn't seem to be ready to help the big club. He does have the arm though, so you can't count him out completely. Maybe something clicks next Spring. (QLF% - 33)

Shearn - He is over 30. That speaks volumes. No reason to expect a miracle. (QLF% - 10)

Maloney - Will be given every opportunity in Spring to grab a spot I would imagine. Has looked good in the minors since being traded for, but is still a completely unproven commodity. Even if he makes the rotation I think he will struggle in 2008. (QLF% - 25)

Cueto - Should start the year in AAA. A mid-season insertion into the Reds' rotation is more likely than not. (although that probably means Reds' starters 3 through 5 are spitting the bit once again)
More than likely will struggle in 2008 if/when he makes it to GAPB.
(QLF% - 33)

Everyone ready for 2008?

Will M
09-05-2007, 10:07 AM
IF the Reds hope to compete for the division in 2008 they MUST somehow find another starting pitcher. I expect Harang to be consistently very good. I expect Arroyo to give us an ERA of ~4.
But we must find someone else who can give us 200 innings and an ERA at least under 4.5 . This sounds easy but it ain't. The starting pitchers on the free agent market aren't great. Trading Griffey for a pitcher ( which also opens RF for Bruce ) is an option if the Reds can find a trading partner. Going into 2008 with Belisle/EZ/etc as the #3 starter will lead to another bad season.

GoReds33
09-05-2007, 05:19 PM
That other pitcher is Carlos Silva. Lets start the collection. If we sign him we offically have a good rotation. That is with the assumption that Livingston, and Ramirez will be back. Maybe the rotation could be:

Harang
Arroyo
Silva
Bailey
Cueto

That would be awesome.

TexRed
09-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Ulnar collateral reconstructive surgery, aka Tommy John, aka UCL, is not something you simply have done and go back to being your normal self again next season. The rubber band is literally stretched real tight and the arm needs to be worked to stretch it out again. I've seen players come back in under a year, but it usually takes longer. Lastly, most pitchers never seem to regain their original velocity.

TheOnlyRedsFan
09-05-2007, 05:41 PM
That other pitcher is Carlos Silva. Lets start the collection. If we sign him we offically have a good rotation. That is with the assumption that Livingston, and Ramirez will be back. Maybe the rotation could be:

Harang
Arroyo
Silva
Bailey
Cueto

That would be awesome.

This.