PDA

View Full Version : Can microwave popcorn be hazardous to your health?

Chip R
09-05-2007, 04:24 PM
http://health.yahoo.com/news/179052

RBA
09-05-2007, 04:32 PM
Yes.

Ltlabner
09-05-2007, 05:45 PM
:runaway:

Red in Chicago
09-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Personally, I hate the smell of microwave popcorn. I hate when people starting popping that crap at work. It goes on for hours.

Chip R
09-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Personally, I hate the smell of microwave popcorn. I hate when people starting popping that crap at work. It goes on for hours.

I hate the smell of burnt microwave popcorn. :(

Ltlabner
09-05-2007, 07:04 PM

Really? Wow. I always thought that was a universal smell that would be plesant and cause one to...well....want to eat some popcorn.

Obviously, I am mistaken.

KronoRed
09-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Popcorn is evil, sure it smells nice but it tastes like nothing unless you cover it with a heart stopping amount of butter and then..worst of all..it gets stuck in your teeth.

Ban it.

Dom Heffner
09-05-2007, 07:55 PM

I had a job where the boss banned microwave popcorn. If a newbie broke the rule, he'd be right over to tell them.

Kinda funny to see the CEO of a multimillion dollar company getting on a 64 year old phone order taker's case about popcorn.

This guy also had it out for scotch tape, so the popcorn thing isn't so strange I guess.

pedro
09-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Popcorn is evil, sure it smells nice but it tastes like nothing unless you cover it with a heart stopping amount of butter and then..worst of all..it gets stuck in your teeth.

Ban it.

Popcorn rocks. You just don't know how to make it. ;)

I like to take a big pan and put some olive oil in it. Then I put some crushed red pepper, salt and maybe some curry powder or rosemary right into the oil. Then I mix in the popcorn kernels, cover and pop them.

This way the popcorn is pre-flavored and you don't have to put any butter or additional salt on it at all.

remdog
09-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Popcorn rocks. You just don't know how to make it. ;)

I like to take a big pan and put some olive oil in it. Then I put some crushed red pepper, salt and maybe some curry powder or rosemary right into the oil. Then I mix in the popcorn kernels, cover and pop them.

This way the popcorn is pre-flavored and you don't have to put any butter or additional salt on it at all.

Aarrghhh.......I'm gonna' have to go make some popcorn, right now, after that missive. I've got everything except the curry powder (which I don't like anyway) but the rest sounds so good.....

Rem

RedsFan75
09-05-2007, 09:42 PM
I had a job where the boss banned microwave popcorn. If a newbie broke the rule, he'd be right over to tell them.

Kinda funny to see the CEO of a multimillion dollar company getting on a 64 year old phone order taker's case about popcorn.

This guy also had it out for scotch tape, so the popcorn thing isn't so strange I guess.

Did we work together?

My CEO HATED popcorn, and you were in EVEN more trouble if you used the intercom system.

Dom Heffner
09-06-2007, 01:28 AM
My CEO HATED popcorn, and you were in EVEN more trouble if you used the intercom system.

Using the intercom system was almost encouraged. It was a great way to relieve stress during the busy holiday season. I once did a rendition of that Four Season's song, "I love you baby, and if it's quite alright I need you baby..." very loudly and I didn't even get any feedback.

But no popcorn, or you were in some trouble.

cincinnati chili
09-06-2007, 03:55 AM
My wife's been saying the stuff is toxic for years. So of course I eat it.

She really, really enjoyed being "right" tonight while we watched the 10:00 news.

MrCinatit
09-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Look hard enough, anything can be dangerous. I bet there is some way water could be dangerous, though no reason comes to mind at the moment.

GAC
09-06-2007, 07:57 AM
http://www.fiftiesweb.com/pop/jiffy-pop.jpg

KittyDuran
09-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Local business
Last Updated: 6:14 am | Sunday, May 27, 2007

A fatal flavor?

Lawsuits and scientific research suggest a workplace health threat at Givaudan's Carthage plant

BY JAMES MCNAIR | JMCNAIR@ENQUIRER.COM

With a nose for a new career, Robin Doane went to work at a factory known for its olfactory appeal.

In the mid-1990s, when the Givaudan Flavors Corp. plant here was known as Tastemaker Corp., Doane's duties sent her daily into an aromatic carnival of grape, maple, orange, spearmint, coffee, butterscotch, cinnamon, roast beef, butter and other scents. Butter flavoring was a big seller, especially to popcorn makers. It was also a big head-turner.

"If you went to the store, people would say they smell butter or cooking," said Doane, who lives in Milford. "Your car, your house, your skin would smell like it. It would cling to everything.

A decade after leaving her job as a Givaudan flavor compounder, Doane says the butter flavoring still clings to something else: the passages of her lungs. On Jan. 17, she and a former co-worker, Joey Wallace, filed suit against the company. They blame Givaudan for an irreversible lung ailment that leaves them out of breath after minor physical activity, in her case climbing a few stairs, pushing a loaded shopping cart or playing with her 8-year-old son.

"I have to be real careful in everything I do," said Doane, 44. "I can't eat large amounts of food because it pushes up my diaphragm and causes breathing problems. Smoke bothers me, and sometimes I wake up in my sleep gasping for air."

Through scientific papers, medical studies and court cases, the image of a possible occupational health minefield is taking shape in an industry whose products are as benign to consumers as the fruits and substances they mimic. More than 400 workers in flavorings and popcorn plants across the country - many in Ohio - claim they have developed severe respiratory problems. At least two dozen have been diagnosed with a rare lung disease called bronchiolitis obliterans. At least five workers have died, including three who used to work at the Givaudan plant.

Juries in four civil trials in Missouri have already found butter flavorings responsible for giving workers the disease. The verdicts were returned in 2004 and 2005 against International Flavors & Fragrances, a New York company that supplied butter flavorings to the Gilster Mary Lee Popcorn plant in Jasper, Mo. Four workers were awarded a total of $52.7 million, later settling for lesser, undisclosed amounts.

Now a legal battlefront is forming in the nation's flavor capital - Cincinnati.

Humphrey, Farrington & McClain, the Independence, Mo., law firm that represents the Gilster Mary Lee workers, has filed five lawsuits in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court. All name Givaudan, a Swiss company that employs 750 people at its main U.S. operation in Carthage. One was filed by more than 200 workers of two Marion, Ohio, popcorn plants supplied by Givaudan, the world's biggest flavorings company. Another blames Givaudan for lung damage sustained by an employee of Gold Medal Products Co., an Evendale-based popcorn machine maker that used Givaudan flavorings.

Givaudan denies the claims, although it won't elaborate and declined interviews for this story.

Humphrey, Farrington & McClain lawyer Steven Crick said dozens of other claims have been settled nationwide, including two Givaudan cases involving popcorn plant workers in Marion and Sioux City, Iowa. The settlements forbid him from disclosing dollar amounts.

"Many flavoring companies have been aware for years that some flavor chemicals can cause permanent lung injury, yet they refuse to test those flavors or their products," Crick said.

"How many people must be injured before flavoring companies decide to actually test their own products?"

In California, some lawmakers don't want to wait any longer.

In February, state Assemblywoman Sally Lieber introduced a bill banning diacetyl, a butter flavoring ingredient suspected of causing bronchiolitis obliterans. State health officials have identified 30 flavorings workers with extreme shortness of breath.

"Since there are substitutes for diacetyl designed to release less volatile chemicals or powder into the air, it is unacceptable for the state to continue to allow its use when its horrific effects have been abundantly demonstrated," Lieber said at a hearing April 10.

A trade group for the $3.5 billion-a-year U.S. flavoring industry, the Flavor & Extract Manufacturers Association, calls diacetyl a "high priority" substance and asserts the "need to be cautious" in its use. But, it adds, the research to date shows only an association between diacetyl and bronchiolitis obliterans, not a medical cause-and-effect.

For now, member companies are urged to "protect workers accordingly."

The association "has done so through its approach of focusing on minimizing exposures to all flavoring substance and by focusing on medical surveillance and illness protection," said general counsel John Hallagan. The trade group has sponsored three workshops, he said, "including an extensive training workshop in February 2005 providing instruction to workplace safety officers on how to protect workers from respiratory hazards."

Hallagan said about 3,500 people work in the production area of 80 flavoring companies in the U.S. Three companies in this region - Givaudan, Wild Flavors in Erlanger and Mane Inc. in Miami Township, Clermont County - have a combined 1,200 employees. How many of those work in flavor-mixing areas was not available.

RedsFan75
09-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Look hard enough, anything can be dangerous. I bet there is some way water could be dangerous, though no reason comes to mind at the moment.

Ahh... There was a lady who died earlier this year, from drinking too much water realted to a radio contest.

TC81190
09-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Ahh... There was a lady who died earlier this year, from drinking too much water realted to a radio contest.

Ah yes, the one where you won a Nintendo Wii for drinking so much water without peeing.

sonny
09-06-2007, 08:33 PM
It's widely known that microwave popcorn is hazardous to your breath.

Now this. Poor Orville.