PDA

View Full Version : Car Break Ins

SeeinRed
09-06-2007, 11:50 AM
There were some items stolen out of my vehicle yesterday. I don't want you to feel sorry for me, my vheicle was an easy target because it was a Jeep, and I was the victim of my own false security. I believed that even though I lived in Mt. Washington, my belongings were safe with the top off of my Jeep becaue it is a fairly busy parking lot outside my apartment, people in this apartment complex are very friendly, and theft along with other things aren't heard of very often in this little area of the complex. To add from all of this, I'm from a small town. We don't lock doors where I'm from and have no reason to... It didn't even cross my mind what would happen. I know, I was stupid and careless, so please refrain from telling me again. I've blamed myself hundreds of times because of it. I trust others more than I should.

I believe in the common good of people, despite news reports that would indicate otherwise. I trust people are mostly good, and that has been proven hundreds of times on this messageboard alone, but the ones who aren't good, prey upon people like me.

Why is this such a big deal you might ask? Well, it really isn't I guess. Other than the monitary losses I will surely incur from the act of another human being's blatant acts of selfishness, cowardness, and otherwise disrespectful behavior there really is no damage to me as a person. This doesn't change the way I trust people, just the way I will act to prevent this from happening again. I wasn't injured at all, or was anybody else in this crime, thank God. That isn't always the case.

The total of monitary loss is not yet known by me, but I figure it to be a few thousand dollars. A lot of money for a college student, sure, but not something that can't be regained eventually. The hardest part of it for me was the 200+ CDs that I have collected over the years that were in my car. Truly heartbreaking for me to lose those CDs. I love my music. I have searched far and wide for some of those CDs. They had significant emotional value as many of you can relate to. They got me through some tough times, really tough times, and even helped in some good times. They aren't there for me this time though. The CD player, eh, I have other ways to listen to CDs. The best I can hope for is that they will help somebody down the road as they helped me, or if I had my way, they will help turn around the life of the person or persons who stole them. That would be truly magical, but not likely I know. I've never been one to think negatively. I'm still holding out for a huge winning streak from the Reds, the NFL to grant Odell reinstatement, that petition to go through and change the minds of Nancy Zimpher and the rest of the staff at UC to bring Bob back, a commissioner to let Pete back in baseball, World peace, and to end World hunger. Compared to that, those CDs changing a life isn't much to ask for.

The other end of the story is that they stole some of my work stuff. A $700 PDA and a couple uniforms. That brings up the fact that in the wrong hands, people could fall victim to a thief dressed as a cable guy. My advice to everyone is simple. Don't let a uniformed person into your house unless you know first why he is there, where he works, you can ID the person, we have name badges with Photo ID, and be absolutely positive he has a legit reason to be there. Call the company if you have to. Don't let them in until you are sure.

The only thing covered on my insurance is the damage to the dash and my CD player. The work stuff will come out of my pocket, but again, just a small bump on the road of life. The lesson, be careful. Don't fall into a false sense of security. Don't give "those people" the chance to victimize you. They will. I just pray this guy never gets caught by anyone but a police officer. He may not make it to justice if he does. Be careful everyone.

Johnny Footstool
09-06-2007, 12:13 PM
It sucks to have someone rip into your car. I know. You want to find the guy and break his kneecaps. Unfortunately, you can't do that.

What you can do is go to the local pawn shops and used CD stores and give them a list of the stolen CDs. It's a longshot, but if you're lucky, they'll call you if the guy tries to sell them there.

Dom Heffner
09-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Homeowner or renter's insurance can cover this too. Renter's policies are usually less than $500 per year.

RBA
09-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Homeowner or renter's insurance can cover this too. Renter's policies are usually less than $500 per year.

Probably, but don't insurance companies only payoff if the items were locked up or secured? If the items were in a Jeep without it's top, I don't think that is secure? Maybe I'm wrong about this.

Sea Ray
09-06-2007, 12:55 PM
You had 200 CDs in your car? Where'd you keep them all? I'm picturing CDs kept in the visor or something. I guess it's time for an Ipod or an MP3.

I once had a Jeep like vehicle and they stole my change and the one CDS I had in the car. The car was locked but breaking into it was no problem with that sort of car. My loss was about $20 total. I bet the thief was pretty disappointed...

acredsfan
09-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Probably, but don't insurance companies only payoff if the items were locked up or secured? If the items were in a Jeep without it's top, I don't think that is secure? Maybe I'm wrong about this.I'm not totally sure on this, I know that is usually the case, but I've heard that with a jeep this is not always the case. Usually people leave their jeeps unlocked because locking the doors does not act as a deterrent since the thieves will just slice the window open to get in. Basically, a jeep with anything of value in it is just a theft waiting to happen.

Roy Tucker
09-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Jeeps are tough to keep items secure in. I had a '75 CJ-7 back in the day. A real bare-bones Jeep with no modern amenities.

It came with a chintzy AM radio just in the dash. Parked outside my apartment, someone broke into it and stole the radio. Why? I don't know, it couldn't have been worth much.

So I put a lock box in, bolted it to the frame, and put my stereo deck in it. Went to a concert and came back to find someone stole the whole soft top off of it. They also crow-bar'ed the lock box open and stole the stereo.

Fixed the lock box, put in a new stereo, and bolted the radio through the lock box to the frame. That seemed to work.

However, I had bought a couple cheap K-Mart special speakers (probably worth $20 max) and they got stolen one night in a bar parking lot. My next round, I put the speakers in the lock box. That finally worked.

But it was all a giant pain and certainly didn't instill any great faith in mankind for me.

Oh, and after my second claim to insurance, they cancelled my policy.

dabvu2498
09-06-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm not totally sure on this, I know that is usually the case, but I've heard that with a jeep this is not always the case. Usually people leave their jeeps unlocked because locking the doors does not act as a deterrent since the thieves will just slice the window open to get in. Basically, a jeep with anything of value in it is just a theft waiting to happen.

I have a Jeep with a soft top as well. Anyone who can operate a zipper can get in it anytime they want.

I've been lucky and in ten years have never had anything stolen, even though I regularly leave CDs, golf clubs, fishing equipment, etc. in it unlocked and uncovered.

"There but for the grace go I..."

Sucks, seeinred. Sorry to hear about that.

TeamSelig
09-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Hmm... the uniform thing makes me wonder... Probably just a thief using it for another job? In class we've went over tons of terrorism material, and getting uniforms and IDs are a top priority for them. Although, not typically a cable guy uniform. Who knows

Caveat Emperor
09-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Hmm... the uniform thing makes me wonder... Probably just a thief using it for another job? In class we've went over tons of terrorism material, and getting uniforms and IDs are a top priority for them. Although, not typically a cable guy uniform. Who knows

I've often thought about that -- I see Fed Ex guys walking around pushing huge boxes around with nobody ever pausing to give even a moment's thought about that. People just take the Fed Ex or UPS guy for granted; they assume he knows where he/she is going and assume he's there on official business. Its kinda scary, in fact.

I certainly hope they keep THOSE uniforms under lock and key...

SeeinRed
09-06-2007, 03:27 PM

You have to have specialized insurance for CDs I'm told. My Mom is an insurance agent, she told me CDs aren't covered. Sucks, but what can you do?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and support. Redszone really is full of classy people. It really is much appreciated.

Highlifeman21
09-06-2007, 04:43 PM
I've often thought about that -- I see Fed Ex guys walking around pushing huge boxes around with nobody ever pausing to give even a moment's thought about that. People just take the Fed Ex or UPS guy for granted; they assume he knows where he/she is going and assume he's there on official business. Its kinda scary, in fact.

I certainly hope they keep THOSE uniforms under lock and key...

Last winter I worked for a couple weeks to make some extra scratch as a driver helper for UPS.

If you don't turn in the uniform, they just take it out of your check.

Not exactly lock and key.

Caseyfan21
09-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah, there's an easy way to stop worrying about CD's in your car. Just take all the CD's you want in your car and make copies of them and only keep the burned CD's in your car. That's what I did before getting an MP3 player and I just kept all my originals at home. Then you only lose a few bucks that it takes to buy blank CD's and of course you lose the time it takes to burn the CD's. But really if you're able to an MP3 player that hooks into your car stereo is the way to go. I just hook it up and have tons of music and then I usually remove it from the car when I park because it's small enough to keep in my pocket.

Sorry about your lose and good luck getting your stuff back.

TeamSelig
09-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Wow, I didn't know that.

That is not very safe at all. Need to change their policies on that, pronto. Not sure why they would target UPS or anything lol but you never know.