PDA

View Full Version : Oregon State at UC predictions...

BearcatShane
09-06-2007, 04:09 PM
I'll say 31-20 UC. I'll be there in the BearcatLair tonight.

LoganBuck
09-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I like UC's team this season, I don't like the matchup with oSu, the Beavers faced a spread team last week and know how to defend it. They have the athletes to do it as well. They also are a power running team, and UC has a defense built on speed, not power. My guess is Oregon State 27 -- University of Cincinnati 24. UC scores late to bring it closer, game never really in doubt.

guttle11
09-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Wow.

UC just got an INT and a quick score to make it 34-3 late in the third.

Impressive.

LoganBuck
09-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Go UC they look good!

Oregon State looks like total crap though, they didn't get on the plane.

I am not sure how to read this one. I thought Oregon State was decent, but I am not so sure after watching this. Their QB play has been very poor.

guttle11
09-06-2007, 11:07 PM
UC will be intercepting passes in OSU's dreams for weeks.

Did I here correctly...seven turnovers?

dougdirt
09-06-2007, 11:30 PM
You did hear correctly. UC's defense controlled that game from the start until the end.

Reds Freak
09-07-2007, 12:00 AM
UC's defense was totally dominant and set up just about every score the offense had. UC's offense looked like it could use some work, especially that offensive line. Geesh, Mauk was scrambling for his life most of the night and there was no running room. It's amazing how bad their offensive line played and how lopsided the score was.

paintmered
09-07-2007, 12:46 AM
That was fun. :)

Go Cats!

Matt700wlw
09-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Brian Kelly has something special brewing in Clifton...

Chip R
09-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Brian Kelly has something special brewing in Clifton...

Wait till they lose a game.

KronoRed
09-07-2007, 01:32 PM

Only if the Bengals win that week ;)

Matt700wlw
09-07-2007, 01:39 PM

My opinion won't change. There's something about him...

Chip R
09-07-2007, 02:11 PM
My opinion won't change. There's something about him...

We'll see. Historically this town hasn't supported UC football win or lose. They are on a nice roll now but if someone like WVU or LOU smokes them or they stumble against MIA, it will be the same old Bearcats again to a lot of these bandwagoners and they'll be lucky to draw 25K to their games. If they want this support to continue, they will need to keep winning. By that I don't mean, win 2 lose 1, I mean run the table.

DoogMinAmo
09-07-2007, 02:13 PM

Why do you say that? Pure bandwagon hooplah?

This UC football team is the culmination of the efforts of 3 head coaches, and 4 years of building. They are not the number one team in the country, so they will lose a game, if not many, but they are still a winning team, with a special buzz about them, and firey head coach to boot.

Chip, out of curiosity, is this natural skepticism, Cincinnati pessimism, or fandom for another team coming through?

Chip R
09-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Why do you say that? Pure bandwagon hooplah?

This UC football team is the culmination of the efforts of 3 head coaches, and 4 years of building. They are not the number one team in the country, so they will lose a game, if not many, but they are still a winning team, with a special buzz about them, and firey head coach to boot.

Chip, out of curiosity, is this natural skepticism, Cincinnati pessimism, or fandom for another team coming through?

Mainly natural skepticism but I've been around here long enough to know that losing a game or two is going to cool this ardor for them and if they end up going to the Texas Bowl or the International Bowl or the Motor City Bowl again, the reaction is going to be ho-hum. They don't necessarily need to go undefeated, but it sure wouldn't hurt. Losing to someone like LOU or WVU by a close score at the end of the season shouldn't make too many people jumping off the bandwagon but to keep everyone on there and make room for more, they are going to have to beat one or both of those teams and go to a BCS bowl.

I'd love to see UC capture the hearts and minds of this city and area. I went to several UC games when I first moved here. I was there for the Wisconsin game. I think they have some problems with how the stadium is situated and where the campus is at that is going to keep them from being a real happening like football is elsewhere.

I wish them luck and hope for the best. Beating Oregon St. is great but they have a long ways to go become an event here.

paintmered
09-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Mainly natural skepticism but I've been around here long enough to know that losing a game or two is going to cool this ardor for them and if they end up going to the Texas Bowl or the International Bowl or the Motor City Bowl again, the reaction is going to be ho-hum. They don't necessarily need to go undefeated, but it sure wouldn't hurt. Losing to someone like LOU or WVU by a close score at the end of the season shouldn't make too many people jumping off the bandwagon but to keep everyone on there and make room for more, they are going to have to beat one or both of those teams and go to a BCS bowl.

I'd love to see UC capture the hearts and minds of this city and area. I went to several UC games when I first moved here. I was there for the Wisconsin game. I think they have some problems with how the stadium is situated and where the campus is at that is going to keep them from being a real happening like football is elsewhere.

I wish them luck and hope for the best. Beating Oregon St. is great but they have a long ways to go become an event here.

If UC goes undefeated, they would likely end up in the national championship game. I hope it doesn't take that for this city to rally behind the team.

goreds2
09-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Oregan is beating Michigan 32-7. It is almost halftime. :p:

EDIT: Ooooppps, wrong thread. SORRY.

:help:

jojo
09-09-2007, 06:44 PM
As a Beaver alum, I can say this with some authority-last Thursday night was typical ORST football. Overrated and inept and largely wilting on the road. As a test, unfortunately, last Thursday just indicates the Bearcats can beat a second tier team from a top-heavy BCS league.

That's progress for the Bearcats I suppose and it's a whole lot better than losing of course but really that win was on MD and not BK IMHO. The future is probably pretty bright for the Bearcat program especially if they can retain quality coaching.

That said, Bearcat football is an inferior brand of college football-even if they become perennial 10 game winners. It's largely a commuter campus in the armpit of a city that has other things constantly on it's mind. There is no real fanfare on gameday and a multimillion dollar commercial venture transparently called varsity village really doesn't change that. College football to me is so much more than a coach running around trying to sell his "product" on the field as a good "entertainment value". Zero tradition. Zero transformation of the community during gameday. The Beavers are really a second tier football program but the whole of Corvallis (not just campus) was electric beginning the Thursday night before a home game. When the Ducks were coming into town, you could feel the electricity a week before the game. During the game, campus shook from the ruckus of a full stadium.

I think it's pretty likely that Kelley will take the Bearcats another step. I seriously doubt Bearcat football will ever be more than an inferior brand of college football though...

BearcatShane
09-09-2007, 08:14 PM
JoJo, just watch. UC will never be Ohio State, Michigan, UCLA, Notre Dame, or USC. But they can be Louisville. I gurrantee UC sells out 3 of their last 4 games too.

paintmered
09-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Louisville and Rutgers had virtually no history or tradition and they were able to turn around their programs. Both are now expanding their stadiums and are in a position to sustain their top 25 programs. Shoot, Virginia Tech went from an afterthought to a perennial top program 10 years ago.

Admittedly, UC isn't there yet. I don't think anyone in their right mind could argue otherwise. But the seeds of change are there and the tipping point for UC football is very close. It may not be seen in the attendance (there were more than the reported 25,000 at Nippert on Thursday, btw), but I've been to nearly every UC game since 2002 and the crowds are much louder and into the games this season. There were more students at the game Thursday than there were against Louisville in 2005 even though school hasn't started yet. The students are the first group that has to buy in to any program and they have. The alumni and casual observer are next. It's just a matter of time. This alum has bought into the program. This alum bought season tickets and joined UCATS based solely on the success of the football program. Others will follow.

If there is anything that the 2007 college football season has taught us so far is that parity is alive and tradition means less and less. Tradition hasn't done anything for Michigan and Notre Dame this year. It hasn't done anything for Miami (Fla) or even Syracuse the last few years. A lack of tradition didn't prevent South Florida from growing its program last night against a school that has all kinds of tradition and it didn't stop UC from growing its program from a very solid win over a good Oregon State team.

Recruiting is at unprecedented levels at UC, and there's still a ways to go. And it just so happens that the Cincinnati area produces some of the best football talent in the country. So is UC a second-rate football team? Probably. But that doesn't change the fact they are now receiving votes in the AP and ESPN polls. Shoot, they are #21 in this week's Sagrain ranking.

Mark my words - if the Bearcats start 5-0, they will be the toast of the town (especially with the Bengals poised to disappoint again). It's very possible, their next three opponents are at Miami, at San Diego St. and home against Marshall. The attendance will follow. Now, UC will never have the support that Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State enjoys. But they can attain the support of Louisville, Rutgers and Virginia Tech gets. Wasn't Louisville one pass away from going undefeated and to the BCS title game last year? If that's second rate, then sign me up for that.

Is Brian Kelly exceptionally "rah rah"? Absolutely. And he's exactly what the program needs right now.

guttle11
09-09-2007, 09:08 PM
UC will never be a Louisville or Virginia Tech, not even in terms of fan support. There's just too much going on in Cincinnati. Ohio State, Michigan, and Notre Dame all have pretty big followings along with a significant Xavier fan base who simply won't root for UC in any capacity. Toss in the Bengals and Reds, and it just will not happen. I'm not convinced their basketball following will ever be what it once was, either.

Virginia Tech pretty much controls the DC area from what I've read. There's just no way UC will ever get that big. No matter how much Lance McCalister shamelessly shills for them.

I think UC can carve out their own niche and maybe even get to the point of averaging 45-50,000 a game, but I think that's about their cap.

As far as the actual team goes, if Kelly stays for 3-4 years they have a legitimate shot to be an upper tier Big East team for the foreseeable future. They're doing a lot of really good things down there.

paintmered
09-09-2007, 09:18 PM
I think UC can carve out their own niche and maybe even get to the point of averaging 45-50,000 a game, but I think that's about their cap.

Right now, Nippert Stadium's capacity is 35,000. I doubt Nippert could be expanded much beyond 45,000. There's some serious space issues there that will require really creative engineering to accomplish any expansion.

Fortunately, there's PBS that will accommodate Oklahoma, Ohio State and possibly Notre Dame in the next few years. Expect 65,000+ to be at each of those games.

jojo
09-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Right now, Nippert Stadium's capacity is 35,000. I doubt Nippert could be expanded much beyond 45,000. There's some serious space issues there that will require really creative engineering to accomplish any expansion.

Fortunately, there's PBS that will accommodate Oklahoma, Ohio State and possibly Notre Dame in the next few years. Expect 65,000+ to be at each of those games.

IMHO, there's so much more to a quality college football experience than simply sitting in a filled stadium and watching your team win. As college experiences go, UC football is lacking in ALOT.

paintmered
09-09-2007, 09:34 PM
As college experiences go, UC football is lacking in ALOT.

Please elaborate.

guttle11
09-09-2007, 10:11 PM

Oh, definitely. And that's a good thing.

But as a caveat...especially for the Ohio State and ND games... it will be close to 50/50 fan support.

As far as the stadium issue goes, where there's a will, there's a way. If, and that's a big if, the support does grow above what most people think, they can always come up with the money to plow Nippert and build a new stadium on that site. Play two years at PBS in the meantime.

paintmered
09-09-2007, 10:17 PM
But as a caveat...especially for the Ohio State and ND games... it will be close to 50/50 fan support.

No doubt there will be plenty of opposing fans there. It's probably an easier ticket than home games for ND and OSU fans.

From my memory, the fan support for the 2002 UC/OSU game was 50/50 at the start of the game and 60/40 in favor of UC at the end of the game (UC nearly pulled off the upset and won over many of the independent fans in the process).

Ironically, we don't have these discussions today if George Murray hadn't dropped the ball that day.

jojo
09-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Please elaborate.

I've already made the argument. UC football is just a game. Football at other campuses is a two day event. One doesnt have to evoke OSU, Penn State, Michigan or Notre Dame. Just go to a Purdue game (another second tier football program) and the difference between that experience and a UC game is striking. People don't leave campus on those days-in fact people storm the campus, many of them starting on Thursday night. At UC, the only people on campus are the 20,000 or so who actually go to the stadium. And then they promptly leave.

As a college experience, UC football is a dud. Winning 10 games really isn't going to change that IMHO.

bucksfan2
09-10-2007, 09:51 AM
I've already made the argument. UC football is just a game. Football at other campuses is a two day event. One doesnt have to evoke OSU, Penn State, Michigan or Notre Dame. Just go to a Purdue game (another second tier football program) and the difference between that experience and a UC game is striking. People don't leave campus on those days-in fact people storm the campus, many of them starting on Thursday night. At UC, the only people on campus are the 20,000 or so who actually go to the stadium. And then they promptly leave.

As a college experience, UC football is a dud. Winning 10 games really isn't going to change that IMHO.

I disagree. Winning 10 games will change a lot in things for UC the football team. Brian Kelly has already brought a lot of interest to the program and you will see that with more attendance. The problems are the stadium and the fact that the Bengals are in town and UC often plays second fiddle to them. The more wins and the better the program gets the better the game day experience will be.

I was at a sports bar for the Oregon St. and UC game and the place was packed. I was also at the same sports bar for the UC and Rutgers game last season and there were only 3 tables of people there. I mention this because there is more interest developing with the football program. If UC can knock off a UL, WVU, or Rutgers then you will see a lot of interest in UC football.

Chip R
09-10-2007, 10:57 AM
If UC can knock off a UL, WVU, or Rutgers then you will see a lot of interest in UC football.

Hopefully it will be sustainable.

texasdave
09-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Bump. UC Bearcats are now ranked 6th in the country in the latest Sagarin ratings. I realize it's early, but it's nice to see. :thumbup:

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm

Redlegs23
09-16-2007, 08:22 PM
In the latest AP poll they're at #29. If they beat Marshall & San Diego St. the next two weeks like they should they could potentially be in the top 25 heading to Rutgers. If they win that game (fairly big if) then they'll be 6-0 with Louisville coming to Nippert. I've never felt the excitement I have for UC football right now. It's Sunday and I can't wait until Saturday to head down to Nippert. Right now they're outscoring their opponents 140-16. If you're living in Cincy and curious about this team, it's time to jump on the wagon and head to Nippert!

DoogMinAmo
09-17-2007, 12:38 PM
UC has replaced the Bengals for football itch, at least for me. If this team gets to 6-0, an entire city will embrace it, not to mention they become the Rutgers story of the year for the nation. Many talk about how tough the conference schedule is, but in order to be the best you have to beat the best. That being said, I am happy they play WVU and Louisville at home rather than away, it definitely increases the likelihood of an upset.

The difficulty of games of the season remaining are in the following order, for me:

1. Rutgers (A)
2. South Florida (A)
3. West Virginia (H)
4. Louisville (H)
5. San Diego State (A) -reeks of a trap game
6. Pittsburgh (A)
7. UConn (H)
8. Marshall (H)

Redlegs23
09-18-2007, 11:11 AM
UC has replaced the Bengals for football itch, at least for me. If this team gets to 6-0, an entire city will embrace it, not to mention they become the Rutgers story of the year for the nation. Many talk about how tough the conference schedule is, but in order to be the best you have to beat the best. That being said, I am happy they play WVU and Louisville at home rather than away, it definitely increases the likelihood of an upset.

The difficulty of games of the season remaining are in the following order, for me:

1. Rutgers (A)
2. South Florida (A)
3. West Virginia (H)
4. Louisville (H)
5. San Diego State (A) -reeks of a trap game
6. Pittsburgh (A)
7. UConn (H)
8. Marshall (H)

Not so sure I agree completely with that list. Here would be mine.

1. West Virginia - Should be great watching our defense against their offense, but they manhandled us last year and I'm not so sure we can beat them this year, even at Nippert.

2. Rutgers - I think we'll be 5-0 heading into this game, and this will be our first game against a ranked team so we might be fired up, but I'm sure they'll be looking to pay us back for last years butt whuppin.

3. South Florida - Tough team and we have them on the road.

4. Louisville - Defense has looked awful so far this year. If we can slow down Brohm I think we have a good chance at knocking them off w/ the game being at home.

5. Pittsburgh - Their d-line seems pretty solid which could cause some problems with our offensive line which has had some shaky moments this year. We should win this game.

6. UCONN - Looked pretty good until last week's struggle with the mighty Temple Owls.

7. San Diego St. - I agree that this could be a potentially scary game after travelling all the way to Cali, but the product on the field hasn't been too impressive.

8. Marshall - If we lose this game that would be a crushing blow to the momentum of the program.

BearcatShane
09-21-2007, 05:00 PM
So who's going tomorrow? It'll be a fun night.

Redlegs23
09-22-2007, 09:48 AM
I'll be there.

bearcatfan24
09-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Me too

paintmered
09-22-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm in Georgia on business and gave my tickets away for today's game. They went to UC alumni who haven't been to a game since 2003ish. I'm hoping to get them on the bandwagon.

BearcatShane
09-30-2007, 01:53 AM
5-0 now. With all the upsets UC might be a top 20 team when the polls comes out tomorrow afternoon.