PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign German outfielder

OnBaseMachine
09-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Reds sign German outfielder

The Reds have signed outfielder David Lutz, a native of Germany out of the European Baseball Academy. Lutz is the seventh player signed by major-league teams out the Academy since its inception last year two from Germany, plus one each from France, the Netherlands, Italy.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2007/09/05/ddn090607redsnotes.html

GoReds33
09-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like the Reds have signed alot of foreign players this year? I hope this continues.

Aronchis
09-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like the Reds have signed alot of foreign players this year? I hope this continues.

The Reds have spent alot on foriegn players, starting to increase since 04(guys like Cueto and Viola were a part of that). Now they will have to trim payroll to increase spending on the June draft.

GoReds33
09-06-2007, 09:55 PM
The Reds have spent alot on foriegn players, starting to increase since 04(guys like Cueto and Viola were a part of that). Now they will have to trim payroll to increase spending on the June draft.I would have no problem if we would take some money out of the payroll to get guys with potential. Look at the Yankees. They got Wang as a foreigh player. If I am not mistaken thats how they got Cano too.:)

Aronchis
09-06-2007, 09:58 PM
I would have no problem if we would take some money out of the payroll to get guys with potential. Look at the Yankees. They got Wang as a foreigh player. If I am not mistaken thats how they got Cano too.:)

Considering if the payroll was pared by to 60 mill for next year and we had a extra 5-10 mill to spend on the Foreign and June draft, you can afford talents that fall due to signability and not reach like the Reds are forced.

A 60 mill payroll is a good start with a fully funded internal personal department. Then they begin winning, payroll goes up.

Outshined_One
09-12-2007, 02:33 PM
How are Schiavoni and Cech doing these days? The Cubs signed a relief pitcher last year out of Italy (Alessandro Maestri) from that academy and he's looked really good this season in the MWL.

SunDeck
09-12-2007, 05:33 PM
This is just the beginning. Next stop, Poland.:D

Outshined_One
09-12-2007, 07:16 PM
This is just the beginning. Next stop, Poland.:D

Never again will Poland be forgotten. :p:

gedred69
09-12-2007, 09:57 PM
How are Schiavoni and Cech doing these days? The Cubs signed a relief pitcher last year out of Italy (Alessandro Maestri) from that academy and he's looked really good this season in the MWL.

I have been perplexed by Cech. He started out of the gate like a monster in just a few ABs, and then hardly batted after that. Was he injured? Did he get homesick or something and leave? I haven't even been able to find any answers. We would really like to see an encouraging catching prospect develop. Mesoraco will need at least 2 years to tell if he's got anything for future hopes. Looking over the Minor league teams there is significant hope for the future, but none of then are catchers.

Topcat
09-13-2007, 04:10 AM
I have been perplexed by Cech. He started out of the gate like a monster in just a few ABs, and then hardly batted after that. Was he injured? Did he get homesick or something and leave? I haven't even been able to find any answers. We would really like to see an encouraging catching prospect develop. Mesoraco will need at least 2 years to tell if he's got anything for future hopes. Looking over the Minor league teams there is significant hope for the future, but none of then are catchers.

We are going to get a great catcher ! By trading from our asset "bank" eventually and in regards to Devin optimistically he is 5 to 6 years away . He is 18 and he needs to have the time to develop and as a catcher of his age I look at him as a full time MLB catcher in 6 years.