PDA

View Full Version : McCoy on Shearn

flyer85
09-07-2007, 03:33 PM
I hope the Reds FO isn't buying any of this.

Shearn proves to be more than stopgap for Reds
The 30-year-old rookie has created a future for himself in the Reds' pitching rotation.

By Hal McCoy

Friday, September 07, 2007

CINCINNATI Tom Shearn came out of nowhere, out of a trailer door where he was living behind the center-field wall at Louisville's Slugger Field.

He was selected to pitch a game for the Cincinnati Reds on an emergency basis because, well, there was nobody left but Mr. Red or Gapper.
And Shearn is still here, a 30-year-old rookie who had made 352 minor-league appearances before getting his chance in the big leagues.

It was expected he would take his one-game beating and slink off into the night, taking with him the chance to tell his grandkids, "Hey, I pitched a game in the major leagues."

But that first game, Aug. 26 against Florida, was a brow-raiser seven innings, three runs and a 9-3 victory. OK, so it was Florida. At least it earned him a second start, this time against the more potent St. Louis Cardinals.

He didn't win, but he could have. He turned over a 5-3 lead to the bullpen, but Eddie Guardado gave up a grand slam to Rick Ankiel, and the Reds lost 8-5.

Next it was the powerful New York Mets, and Shearn was cutting-edge sharp no runs and three hits over six innings in a 7-0 win.

The leaves him with a 2-0 record and 3.12 earned-run average. He is as much a part of the rotation for the rest of the year as Aaron Harang, and Shearn has put himself into consideration for next year's rotation.

"What I liked about him from Day 1 was that he is fearless, not one bit afraid, even though he is a rookie," said Reds manager Pete Mackanin. "Maybe it is because he is older and spent so much time in the minors."

Maybe he is just good.

Shearn, though, isn't cocky and isn't gloating. If anything, he doesn't quite believe all this is happening to him.

After beating the Mets, Shearn gave more credit to catcher Javier Valentin than to himself and thanked Mets manager Willie Randolph for keeping five of his regulars resting on the bench.

"Javy called a great game," said Shearn. "He knew all the hitters, especially since his brother (Jose) plays for them, so I figured he should know 'em all, and I went with what he called."

Shearn laughed when asked about facing a first-place team and said, "It was nerve-wracking, especially watching them the night before and seeing that lineup they throw out there. I was hoping some of them got a day off, and a bunch of 'em did."

But he made a quick admission.

"In my first three games, the only time I was star-struck was when I saw Albert Pujols walk to the plate," he said.

Shearn walked Pujols the first time, then struck him out looking and got him to pop to shortstop.

When it was pointed out to Shearn that most teams haven't seen him, he said, "Yeah, thank God for that, and I'm waiting for the day they catch up with my 68-miles-an-hour curveball. Hopefully, they just watch it for the rest of the year."

Shearn isn't greedy. He'd love to pitch in the rotation next year, but he'll take anything that involves wearing a major-league uniform.

"I hope I finish strong and if they go out and get some pitching maybe they'll look at me as a long man out of the bullpen," he said. "I hope I've opened some eyes so I can come into spring training next year and be given a chance to win a job."

BRM
09-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Shearn is a nice guy to have down in Louisville as injury insurance.

M2
09-07-2007, 03:56 PM
NO! The Shearnses burns us! It burns us!

traderumor
09-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Well, at least Hal dates himself with such an article. That looked like some of the tripe that used to get written by the local guys back in the day. Shearn is a great story, but should not be mentioned as anything more than a darkhorse for the 5th starter or long relief, just to be polite for the few good outings so far.

flyer85
09-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Seems like a nice guy and has paid his dues, however, his only role moving forward would be long relief.

icehole3
09-07-2007, 05:05 PM
at this point Im for anyone stepping up after a yearlong look at this staff

Patrick Bateman
09-07-2007, 05:09 PM
He'll get smacked around eventually, and this story will be over as quickly as it started.

Tom Servo
09-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Shearn couldn't have gotten a win against the Cardinals, he only went 4.1 innings.

fearofpopvol1
09-07-2007, 05:36 PM
After watching him pitch a few times, I like Shearn better than Dumatrait, Ramirez, Saarloos and even better than Livingston. I do think once teams have seen him, he could get knocked around. However, I think as a 5th guy, he may be alright.

TOBTTReds
09-07-2007, 05:53 PM
His stuff is BRUTAL. I don't know how he has made it this far without getting crushed. I think it is really all in the Alabama Breakdown (love that term). His curve is the only thing keeping him afloat.

dfs
09-07-2007, 05:54 PM
I alluded to this in another thread.

For next year the reds problem right now is they have Harang, Arroyo and....a bunch of guys who need to start the season in AAA and earn midseason promotions (Baily, Cueto, Malony). Other than that they have a bunch of guys who really aren't likely to ever see a major league start (Everybody mentioned in fearofpopvol1's post) and two guys who haven't really earned anything more than a look-see for the back end of a five man rotation/long relief job, Matt Belise and Shearn.

I mean....that's doesn't call for a little patch job in the offseason, that's a gaping hole in the organization.

Frankly Hal's right to make happy noises about Shearn. That's what beat writers do.

membengal
09-07-2007, 06:14 PM
The skepticism here is appalling.

I don't think there is any question that Shearn will win 20 games a year for the next 10 years, before retiring at the age of 40 at 200-0.

It will be one the most remarkable things in MLB history since ever. Even people who can remember baseball before performance enhancing drug issues days will agree that Tom Shearn took a back seat to no one during his 30s.

The only thing left to do, really, will be to determine exactly what will be on his plaque at the Hall of Fame. The Cooperstown one. I would imagine it will need to include his seven straight Cy Young awards, or that he was a four-time World Series MVP and the lynch-pin in the Reds' six-peat from 2010-2015.

The only thing that will approach the amazingness of Shearn's run? That Scott Hatteberg and Norris Hopper anchored those same teams with grit and professionalism, made even more amazing by Hatteberg being professional and anchoring 1b (professionally, of course) for this team to the age of 47 while Hopper played both left and center at the same time for the 2011 World Championship team. None of them, according to WLW blowhards, ever appeared to be drunk.

Those are going to be the days.

redsmetz
09-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I think Shearn said it best in a Fay article (I think), that he hopes he's opened some eyes and he'd be happy to be in the bullpen next year. Let's see what unfolds. If Shearns is anything more than our 5th starter or a spot starter, long man; we're in trouble.

Eric_Davis
09-07-2007, 10:14 PM
It takes a lot of starters to win a pennant.

redsmetz
09-07-2007, 10:24 PM
It takes a lot of starters to win a pennant.

I just glanced at the 1975 and 1976 Reds, we had 8 and 9 different pitchers respectively make starts for the Reds those two years.

Eric_Davis
09-07-2007, 10:42 PM
The Mets had 16 last year.

jmcclain19
09-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Personally - I love the Shearn story. I hope he pitches just long enough with the Reds to earn a major league pension - being on the 25 man for 43 days.

That means he just needs to break camp w/ the Reds next spring....

Ron Madden
09-08-2007, 05:05 AM
:rant2:
The skepticism here is appalling.

I don't think there is any question that Shearn will win 20 games a year for the next 10 years, before retiring at the age of 40 at 200-0.

It will be one the most remarkable things in MLB history since ever. Even people who can remember baseball before performance enhancing drug issues days will agree that Tom Shearn took a back seat to no one during his 30s.

The only thing left to do, really, will be to determine exactly what will be on his plaque at the Hall of Fame. The Cooperstown one. I would imagine it will need to include his seven straight Cy Young awards, or that he was a four-time World Series MVP and the lynch-pin in the Reds' six-peat from 2010-2015.

The only thing that will approach the amazingness of Shearn's run? That Scott Hatteberg and Norris Hopper anchored those same teams with grit and professionalism, made even more amazing by Hatteberg being professional and anchoring 1b (professionally, of course) for this team to the age of 47 while Hopper played both left and center at the same time for the 2011 World Championship team. None of them, according to WLW blowhards, ever appeared to be drunk.

Those are going to be the days.

:beerme:

God Bless Hal McCoy. I love the guy I really do...But can he really write about the game?

He can report what happend during the game but he has no clue why any of it happend.

I've said it before and will say it again. There once was a time when Cincinnati Fans were considered among the most knowledgeable fans in all of Baseball. Sadly this is no longer true.

I tip my cap to Marty and Hal. :clap:

Congratulations to the both of them for sticking around long enough to go into the HOF.

In my mind Marty and Hal are two of the biggest reasons for the dumbing down of this fanbase.

(I'll duck and cover now)

Ron Madden
09-08-2007, 05:08 AM
Personally - I love the Shearn story. I hope he pitches just long enough with the Reds to earn a major league pension - being on the 25 man for 43 days.

That means he just needs to break camp w/ the Reds next spring....

I quess I could live with that. ;)

GAC
09-08-2007, 06:16 AM
I'm glad this guy got his shot. He has labored and worked had within the system for 12 years so I have to give him credit for his endurance and not wanting to give up on his dream. Put yourself in his shoes.

It's also a signal to the rest of the guys laboring down in the minors and hoping one day to get that chance.

But the only reason that he was called up was because of this huge void in our rotation with no immediate answers to it.

He's new. He's a novelty. He's also not known by the rest of the league. That novelty will soon wear off.

If it takes you until you're 30 to get finally break through then that says something in and of itself.

But when we look at the possible FA list of pitchers that may be available this off-season, and it doesn't look very enticing at all, then I'd rather (for the time being) stick with a Shearn then make the plunge and overpay for mediocracy when we already have that in a Shearns.

mth123
09-08-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm in no way advocating that the Reds count on Tom Shearn for 2008, but IMO he is probably just as good as most of the fodder that teams run in and out of the number 5 spot in their rotations. I have no problem if he comes to spring training in the mix (not penciled in - big difference) for the bottom of the rotation. I actually prefer going with some one like him than to spend 7 or 8 Million per year on some like Kyle Lohse or Carlos Silva. I'd rather go with Shearn and continue to look for help than commit to a suspect and be stuck with the results for three or four years.

Aim high for acquisitions or go with guys like this IMO. But unfortunately for Shearn, if younger guys with more future can provide similar results, Shearn should be relegated to the AAAA depth fate. Having a guy like him in Louisville ready to go if needed isn't a bad situation IMO.

Ron Madden
09-08-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm in no way advocating that the Reds count on Tom Shearn for 2008, but I actually prefer going with some one like him than to spend 7 or 8 Million per year on some like Kyle Lohse or Carlos Silva. I'd rather go with Shearn and continue to look for help than commit to a suspect and be stuck with the results for three or four years.

I agree. :thumbup:

Highlifeman21
09-09-2007, 03:43 PM
His stuff is BRUTAL. I don't know how he has made it this far without getting crushed. I think it is really all in the Alabama Breakdown (love that term). His curve is the only thing keeping him afloat.

Shearn = Chris Michalak.

camisadelgolf
09-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Shearn = Chris Michalak.

:thumbup:

RedlegJake
09-10-2007, 04:03 AM
Yeah, Shearn is barely adequate but he has his moments. That's as good as you're going to get from anyone on the FA list short of a Schilling or Clemens and they aren't coming here. I still say he's adequate as a 5 right now. Until Bailey proves he's ready and Cueto proves it as well, the Reds are going to struggle to pluck 2 solid starters in trades without wrecking their offense.

KronoRed
09-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Shearn = Chris Michalak.

Long career in the makings then :D