PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Jorgensen gets 50-game suspension from MLB

Matt700wlw
09-07-2007, 07:48 PM
DIATE RELEASE September 7, 2007

CINCINNATIíS JORGENSEN SUSPENDED

The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Ryan Jorgensen of the Cincinnati Reds has received a 50-game suspension for violating Major League Baseballís Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

BoydsOfSummer
09-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Well...well...well...

dougdirt
09-07-2007, 07:56 PM
This might get ugly on these boards.....

Razor Shines
09-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I guess we know why Hannigan got the call then.

redsfan4445
09-07-2007, 08:04 PM
so that was the personal stuff he had to do that was better than being in the majors!!.. now it makes sense.. who the heck turns down a chance to come back up for the money he would have made... sad the way baseball is getting..

RedLegSuperStar
09-07-2007, 08:07 PM
so that was the personal stuff he had to do that was better than being in the majors!!.. now it makes sense.. who the heck turns down a chance to come back up for the money he would have made... sad the way baseball is getting..

What's to say he wasn't on them before he got called up?

Falls City Beer
09-07-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm already affixing an asterisk in front of his only career grand slam.

redsfan4445
09-07-2007, 08:10 PM
no im saying when they said he had personal obligations, i was like WHAT? what guy that might never get another chance to play MLB, going to do something else for a month when he can get paid pretty well that the personal obligation could have waited.. thats what i am referring too.. no idea if what he did was here or in the minors.. im saying before we heard about the suspension

TOBTTReds
09-07-2007, 08:11 PM

I think we all knew he was.

OnBaseMachine
09-07-2007, 08:11 PM

Are you going to do the same with Rick Ankiel? ;)

Falls City Beer
09-07-2007, 08:16 PM

Sure. What an idiot Ankiel is --his old man is some of kind of meth mouth ghoul and he does this?

redsfan4445
09-07-2007, 08:17 PM
per rotoworld.. its not related to performance drugs

"MLB suspended catcher Ryan Jorgensen 50 games for violating the Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
Well, this explains why he wasn't called up to act as the Reds' third catcher this month. Jorgensen's suspension isn't related to performance-enhancing drugs. He'll miss most of the first two months of 2008."

TOBTTReds
09-07-2007, 08:17 PM
MLB suspended catcher Ryan Jorgensen 50 games for violating the Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

Well, this explains why he wasn't called up to act as the Reds' third catcher this month. Jorgensen's suspension isn't related to performance-enhancing drugs. He'll miss most of the first two months of 2008.

Not steroids.

SunDeck
09-07-2007, 09:13 PM
That's sad. I know the guy PO'd some people here, but personal demons are personal demons. I hope he is able to get off the stuff, whatever it is.

Eric_Davis
09-07-2007, 09:18 PM
That's too bad. Good Luck Jorgensen.

Strikes Out Looking
09-07-2007, 10:24 PM
How does rotoworld know it's not steroids?

KronoRed
09-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Not good whatever the substance

RedFanAlways1966
09-07-2007, 10:29 PM
I am sorry to hear this. His first ML hit and the grand slam were enjoyable to me as a baseball fan. I wish Ryan Jorgensen the best in coming back to professional baseball.

Reds Nd2
09-08-2007, 12:03 AM
This might get ugly on these boards.....
If my count is correct, Jorgensen becomes the fourth player under the Reds employ to be suspended under the JDP&T program.

It doesn't matter. He was on the Reds forty man roster and was subject to MLB testing.

no im saying when they said he had personal obligations, i was like WHAT? what guy that might never get another chance to play MLB, going to do something else for a month when he can get paid pretty well that the personal obligation could have waited.. thats what i am referring too.. no idea if what he did was here or in the minors.. im saying before we heard about the suspension
I can think of a lot of reasons that I'd blow a pro-rated MLB salary.

Yep.

Not yet. I'm not affixing one to Glaus, just in case you were wondering. Has either failed a drug test yet? Has either been convicted of possession/distrubution yet?

Not steroids.
It's PED's.

OnBaseMachine
09-08-2007, 12:39 AM
I

Not yet. I'm not affixing one to Glaus, just in case you were wondering. Has either failed a drug test yet? Has either been convicted of possession/distrubution yet?

Nope but they did get busted with receiving HGH. That's enough for me. Rick Ankiel is a cheater.

macro
09-08-2007, 12:43 AM
If my count is correct, Jorgensen becomes the fourth player under the Reds employ to be suspended under the JDP&T program.

Perhaps, but as far as we know, he's the first of those four to interact on this site.

Ron Madden
09-08-2007, 02:38 AM

I thought I woke up in The USA this morning.What the heck happened to innocent untill proven guilty?

Shouldn't we wait untill we hear the whole story before we pass any sort of judgement?

Steriods or High are not the only things they test for.

Maybe he messed up and made a mistake the likes of which he never made before. Who knows what happend?

I think I'll wait awhile longer to brand this kid with whatever mark y'all want to burn him with.

medford
09-08-2007, 04:58 AM
Heres me wondering what if. Any chance the thread that was removed from the minor league forum had anything to do with this suspension? Very interesting indeed.

GAC
09-08-2007, 05:18 AM
Very typical for people to "jump the gun" in judgment. At this stage it has not been made public whether it was performance enhancing or recreational drugs. ;)

Jorgensen suspended
Catcher violated Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070907&content_id=2194562&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- Major League Baseball announced on Friday that catcher Ryan Jorgensen was suspended for 50 games for violating the league's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
Jorgensen was with the Reds from Aug. 14-26 and played in four games, batting .200 with two home runs and six RBIs. The 28-year-old batted .237 in 73 games this season for Triple-A Louisville.

On Aug. 15, Jorgensen's first big league hit was a homer vs. the Cubs at Wrigley Field. On Aug. 26 vs. the Marlins, he hit a grand slam before being optioned back to Louisville when David Ross was activated from the disabled list.

When September callups were announced earlier this week after rosters expanded, Jorgensen's name was not included. The Reds said at the time it was because of personal reasons.

It was not known if Jorgensen tested positive for performance enhancing or recreational drugs. He joined the Reds organization after being acquired from the Marlins for a Minor Leaguer in March 2006.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky declined to comment on the situation.

"The Cincinnati Reds support Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program," the club said in a statement. "Ryan understands the rules of the program and will serve the appropriate suspension."

Reds Nd2
09-09-2007, 02:19 AM
Nope but they did get busted with receiving HGH. That's enough for me. Rick Ankiel is a cheater.
Well, no they haven't. They haven't been "busted" for anything yet. It may be enough for you, but I'd prefer some more information before labeling someone as a cheater. And even if the published reports are true, Ankiel received his last shipment of Saizen and Genotropin in 2004. Those drugs weren't added to MLB's list of prohibited drugs until 2005. As of today, he's guilty of nothing.

Perhaps, but as far as we know, he's the first of those four to interact on this site.
Wow! Really? What was his screen name so I can do a search for his posts. That's pretty cool to have a member of the Reds organization posting here.

I thought I woke up in The USA this morning.What the heck happened to innocent untill proven guilty?
Barry Bonds says hello.

Very typical for people to "jump the gun" in judgment. At this stage it has not been made public whether it was performance enhancing or recreational drugs. ;)
If the JDP&T is working correctly, then you should never know what drug was being taken specifically. But as we've seen, that isn't the case. As far as "jumping the gun" on Jorgensen though, unless I'm mistaken, the penalties for Drugs of Abuse are different from the penalties for Steroids: read PED's (including HGH). A fifty game suspension means only one thing. Ryan Jorgensen failed a test for PED's and not a for test Drugs of Abuse/"recreational drugs".

TeamBoone
09-09-2007, 01:13 PM
This makes me sad. I like him, and he seems to have a lot of upside.

camisadelgolf
09-09-2007, 03:09 PM

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but are you being sarcastic?

KronoRed
09-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Well he did hit that grand slam :D

remdog
09-10-2007, 04:22 PM

Upside....well, not so much. But, I'm with you TB, I also found him to be very likeable.

Rem

paulrichjr
09-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm not trying to pick a fight, but are you being sarcastic?

You must be forgetting what team's site you are posting on. This is the Reds. Of course he has a lot of upside. But seriously, I wouldn't have minded him being the 3rd catcher next year at all. By 3rd I mean the guy that gets called up when one of the other 2 goes down. I don't mean the 3 headed monster that WayneK employees.

camisadelgolf
09-11-2007, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't even want him as a starter in AAA, personally. His stats show me has no hope. Sadly, I'd rather have Chad Moeller (not that it's by a long shot). There has to be a younger option somewhere with some upside.