PDA

View Full Version : Why is Valentin playing everyday and batting 6th

fewfirstchoice
09-07-2007, 07:16 PM
I mean Ross should be starting(if hes not still hurt)over him but it seems Valentin is starting everyday.Then to make things worse the loser Mack bats him in the 6th spot with EE and Votto below him.I cant imagine Mack still being in the running for the full time gig next season.Also why no Keppinger in the last week or so.Mack is a joke for a manager just like Narron was.

thatcoolguy_22
09-07-2007, 11:31 PM
I swear I am now dumber for reading this thread. and thats after 1 post...:D

NorrisHopper30
09-08-2007, 12:09 AM
It's a friday night, i'll cut the poster of this thread some slack.

bigredmechanism
09-08-2007, 12:28 AM
I mean Ross should be starting(if hes not still hurt)over him but it seems Valentin is starting everyday.Then to make things worse the loser Mack bats him in the 6th spot with EE and Votto below him.I cant imagine Mack still being in the running for the full time gig next season.Also why no Keppinger in the last week or so.Mack is a joke for a manager just like Narron was.

maybe because ross is batting .201 versus valentins .273 ???

fewfirstchoice
09-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Your telling me you would raher have Valentin as your #1 catcher rather than Ross.Grant ya that Ross isnt hitting that great but Valentin is just horrific at the defensive side of catching.It would be great if we could add Valentins offense to Ross defensive ability and homerun power.

If this thread makes you dumber I sure would hate to have known ya before ya read it. ;)

I dont need no sticking slack.If you think theres something wrong with the post thats your opinion.Its not my fault you think everyone else who has a different view on things that you are stupid.Its time to get out of your glass house and join the real world, and not the one in Sydney either.

AmarilloRed
09-09-2007, 01:48 AM
Do you choose Ross' defense over Valentin's hitting? Neither is an ideal starting catcher, and we need to upgrade at that position. I would really prefer an unnnamed FA catcher over either of them, but that may not be an option. We may all simply have to wait for a better catcher to come from the minor leagues

Krawhitham
09-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Your telling me you would raher have Valentin as your #1 catcher rather than Ross.

YES, Javy calls a better game

jnwohio
09-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Your telling me you would raher have Valentin as your #1 catcher rather than Ross.Grant ya that Ross isnt hitting that great but Valentin is just horrific at the defensive side of catching.It would be great if we could add Valentins offense to Ross defensive ability and homerun power.

Maybe Valentin is playing more now because during the time Ross was out with the injury (3 weeks or so), the club played its best ball of the season with Valentin basically catching every day.

Perhaps coincidentally and perhaps not so coincidentally, Ross's return to availability marked a pretty distinct down turn in the Reds play as judged by wins and losses.

It seems like some of the starters clearly prefer Ross but the record kind of indicates the bullpen does better when throwing to Valentin.

AmarilloRed
09-09-2007, 02:37 PM
I am not sure why he is hitting 6th. I would imagine both Votto and Encarcion should be hitting higher than Valentin.

fewfirstchoice
09-09-2007, 06:23 PM
If you really think Valentin calls a better game than Ross your blind to how a game should be called.Ross is a much better caller of a game and his defense is so much better theres not even a comparision between the 2.But Valentin is a better hitter right now.

jnwohio
09-09-2007, 08:04 PM
If you really think Valentin calls a better game than Ross your blind to how a game should be called.Ross is a much better caller of a game and his defense is so much better theres not even a comparision between the 2.But Valentin is a better hitter right now.

I don't think this is necessarily accurate. In the time since Ross has come back from the DL, Pete has appeared to be all over his case in several instances when Pete went out to get one of the young guys who had just gotten nicked in relief.

I think Ross is long on finesse which works well with the starters over a long haul but is not necessarily what is called for in relief situations. The (older) starters seem to be more comfortable with Ross because they are more immediately "on the same page" with him. But in the end they call their own games so the diffrence in results should be negligible,

The response to Javy's extended playing time by all the media types who regularly cover the team has been positive. They all say Javy's defense has improved as he has played more. I think that is the easiest way for them to admit they had incorrectly prejudged how the team would play with Javy as its prime catcher.

bigredmechanism
09-09-2007, 10:00 PM

hes a better hitter always. its asanine to believe a man who has hovered around 200 all season should start. are you sure youre not a cardinals fan or something? defensivley, ross is a bit better, but javy makes up for any of that offensively. i liked ross last season, but i think your letting your opinion be influenced by your heart, young man. its ok. ross is garbage and maybe when you are a bit older you may come to understand this

fewfirstchoice
09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Im not saying both are great or even good!All Im trying to say is if I had to play one of them in game 7 of the Wolrld Series I woulkd play Ross and not Javy.But dont get me wrong I dont think either of them are helping the Reds very much at all.I would love to see the Reds go out and sign a top flight defensive catcher in the off season,maybe a Molina.All of thise brothers call great games.But I still take Ross over Valentin any day.

TC81190
09-09-2007, 10:24 PM
hes a better hitter always. its asanine to believe a man who has hovered around 200 all season should start. are you sure youre not a cardinals fan or something? defensivley, ross is a bit better, but javy makes up for any of that offensively. i liked ross last season, but i think your letting your opinion be influenced by your heart, young man. its ok. ross is garbage and maybe when you are a bit older you may come to understand this

Hot streaks, awesome.

bigredmechanism
09-09-2007, 11:11 PM
when has ross had a hot streak, mr hawking?

AmarilloRed
09-10-2007, 01:22 AM
It could be said all last year was a hot streak for Ross.

bigredmechanism
09-10-2007, 04:00 PM
what have ya done for me lately? he starts, its like having 2 pitchers in the lineup, except on of em hits 17 homers on the year. the juice aint worth the squeeze with a 200 batting average, compadre

carrer 222 hitter, 297 obs, too many strikeouts. and hes on the decline...