PDA

View Full Version : The Alex Gonzalez thread

AmarilloRed
09-08-2007, 01:12 AM
I thought I would create a thread about Alex Gonzalez. Edwin and Keppinger have their own threads, so why not Alex? Here are his 2007 stats: 103 games, 383 AB, 55 runs, 106 hits, 27 doubles, 1 triple, 16 hrs, 55 rbi, 183 total bases, 24 walks, 73 strikeouts, . 330 OBP, .478 slg. pct., a .272 BA, 16 errors committed, and a .962 fielding percentage. I have a couple of conclusions to make from all this; Alex was not quite as sold concerning his defense, and he does not have a high enough OBP to be hitting second in the batting order. He is showing he can hit, and he has shown more power than a lot of us expected. That being said, he will be hard pressed to keep starting next year over Keppinger, but it would seems the Reds are determined to keep him at shortstop. I would expect this might be because Wayne signed him in the off-season.
In any case, it would be difficult to trade him because of his age and contract, and I expect we will see him the next couple of years in Cincinnati

UK Reds Fan
09-08-2007, 06:19 AM
The SS spots in need for 2008 are few in baseball next year, but there may be a handful of suitors for AGon is the reds decide to try and unload him. The year he is putting up should keep eyes open for only 4 Million a year isn't bad at all considering other options.

If the Reds are needing some $$$ for pitching, instead of looking to toss Dunn, we should be trying to move AGon, Freel and Hatteburg (Frees up 8 Million) as we have adequate replacements for each of them at basically league minumum.

BLEEDS
09-08-2007, 09:06 AM
They aren't going to give the everyday SS job to Keppinger.

If you projected AGon's totals out for an entire year - I think you would see him in career highs in just about every Offensive Category - HR, RBI, BB - as well as Average, OBP, and SLG. He's batting .277 as of this morning. a .330 OBP isn't great - but Brandon Phillips is only at .334. BP's Slugging Percentage - .498, Gonzo's - .475 Not too shabby. OPS - BP .832. Gonzo .808. Not much of a difference. I could live with those guys as our middle infielders for more than a few years together.

I for one didn't think he'd bat much over .250, but he's impressed at the plate - still streaky, but his Power is a VERY Welcome Surprise. He is MORE than a replacement for Lopez at the plate - but that's not what we got him for.

I think his errors in the field are more a result of his issues off-the-field, and not being able to play every day. Is he still a Gold-Glove capable SS, maybe not, but he's a HUGE upgrade from Lopez in terms of range, turning the double play, etc...

That's another reason we wouldn't replace Gonzo with Keppinger. Kep is SERVICEABLE at SS, but not someone you want in there every day, he simply doesn't have the skills to play there. He is more suited at 3B, 1B, or the OF.

IMO, Keppinger should get 3-4 starts a week as the Super-Sub. I could see him being the RH complement to Votto at 1B, for any of the Lefty OF-ers who struggle versus tough lefties - Dunn/Jr/Hamilton, and spot starts at 3B for EE, at 2B and SS. Basically, every spot except Catcher!!

Gonzo will play out his contract here. There's really no reason to not let him - because there surely isn't anyone in the minors that's going to be pushing him before 2010, which is his option year at $6M. He'll just be turning 33 that Spring. We'll more than likely keep him for that year as well.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

TheWalls
09-08-2007, 09:12 AM
How about we trade him to the White Sox (who desparately need a new SS) in a package to get Garland? Then we let Keppinger start at SS.

AccordinglyReds
09-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Gonzalez has been killing the ball as of late. Has his BA up to .277. :)

Nice to see that.

Prf15
09-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Why don't we have a platoon? Gonzo is batting .236 against Lefties while Keppinger is batting .422 against them, yes it is a small sample but once it evens out it would probably be better than a .236 average.

Jay Bruce
09-08-2007, 01:49 PM
How about we trade him to the White Sox (who desparately need a new SS) in a package to get Garland? Then we let Keppinger start at SS.

Garland would be a horrible target for us. For one thing, he makes 12 million next year, and then becomes a free agent. For another, the White Sox are looking for good young relievers for him, meaning they would be targetting the likes of Burton and Bray from us. Finally, Garland isn't even that good. His career DIPS ERA is 4.90, while it has been in the 4.50 range since his breakout 2005 year. His career HR/9 is also 1.17, which I can see increasing in the confines of GABP. While he is a fine middle of the rotation strater, and the Reds could use one of these, the Reds need to target pitchers they can control for a few inexpensive years.

AmarilloRed
09-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Gonzales does have a much larger range than Keppinger does at SS. The Reds seem to prefer Gonzalez at SS, so that will probably not be an issue. I do think Alex has done a good job despite the errors, but shortstop is a position you expect a lot of errors from. I would not have him batting second however, as he is not someone who should lead of an inning because of his OBP. Alex does have more power than a shortstop normally has, and he is a good hitter.

Redus
09-08-2007, 03:08 PM
I got to give Alex a ton of credit. With what hes been through with his child its amazing hes done anything. Being a Dad myself I know how trying that circumstance is. Bravo Agon.

AmarilloRed
09-08-2007, 09:57 PM
GameDay just mentioned that Gonzalez left the game because of an injured leg. I am sorry to hear that. I hope it is not serious.

GoReds33
09-08-2007, 11:02 PM
GameDay just mentioned that Gonzalez left the game because of an injured leg. I am sorry to hear that. I hope it is not serious.It gives him another reason to go home to his sick kid. It also gives Keppinger his much deserved playing time.:)

AmarilloRed
09-09-2007, 02:28 AM
Reds shortstop Alex Gonzalez left the game after the sixth inning after fouling a ball off his left shin. X-rays taken on the shin were negative.

I got that off of tonight's game recap on Reds.com. It sounds like the shin injury is not serious.