PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past

OldRightHander
09-09-2007, 03:16 PM
We had an interesting guest at church this morning. John Ford Coley, the musician formerly paired with England Dan in the 70s, spoke this morning and did a bit of music. Most of what he said was Peanut Gallery stuff, but he did some songs he's written recently and talked about his spiritual journey. It was a pretty interesting service. I was just familiar enough with his music to know who he was, but it was also amusing to see the younger folks reacting to him, basically a collective "Who the heck is this guy?"

macro
09-09-2007, 03:38 PM
ORH, you failed to mention the guy's full name. You left off the "England Dan and" part.

:D

I've got their greatest hits CD, and it's some really good stuff. Not everyone has forgotten them!

For years I wondered why they would have lyrics in "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" that said "I'm not talking 'bout millineum, and I don't want to change your life..."

Finally, the Web was invented and I was able to look up the correct word. :laugh:

pedro
09-09-2007, 09:57 PM
I'll never forget when they played at the dance on "James at 15".

RichRed
09-10-2007, 01:40 PM
For years I wondered why they would have lyrics in "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" that said "I'm not talking 'bout millineum, and I don't want to change your life..."

I used to think it was "I'm not talkin' 'bout the linen..." I'm still not convinced it's not. :)

durl
09-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Wow! That would be pretty cool. I bet it was interesting to hear what he had to say.

Dom Heffner
09-11-2007, 12:06 AM
"James at 15".

That show was creepy. Incidentally- the guy that played James looks like the kid in that Ballbuster commercial.

I bet it was interesting to hear what he had to say.

Yeah, I'm sure the whole congregation was on the edge of their pews waiting to hear what the soft rock God of the 1970s thinks about the current world situation.

Maybe Air Supply is going to appear on an upcoming edition of Hardball. :)

durl
09-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I'm sure the whole congregation was on the edge of their pews waiting to hear what the soft rock God of the 1970s thinks about the current world situation.

As a music lover (especially the 70's) I'd be very interested to hear about his experiences in the music world and how they affected his life, leading him to where he is today.

Dom Heffner
09-11-2007, 05:10 PM
So having experienced the musical world makes you an expert on current events?

I'm always interested in what people have to say, but to use your celebrity to do it always makes me uncomfortable. It doesn't matter who it is.

To each his own, I guess.

macro
09-12-2007, 11:47 AM
As a music lover (especially the 70's) I'd be very interested to hear about his experiences in the music world and how they affected his life, leading him to where he is today.

So having experienced the musical world makes you an expert on current events?

I'm always interested in what people have to say, but to use your celebrity to do it always makes me uncomfortable. It doesn't matter who it is.

To each his own, I guess.

Where did durl make any reference to current events?

KittyDuran
09-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Where did durl make any reference to current events?Looks like Dom was reading ORH original post and making the same assumption to durl - but you're right durl only wanted to know about the musical world experience. :confused:

KittyDuran
09-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Where did durl make any reference to current events?ORH mentioned "peanut gallery stuff" and "spiritual journey" and got Dom excited! :D

OldRightHander
09-13-2007, 06:04 AM
For the record, and I think I can say as much without leading this thread into unacceptable areas, he is now a Christian, was not during his heyday, and his talk was about what how he came to be a Christian. He talked briefly about the music scene during those days, the good and the bad, and how that shaped who he is today. He didn't really say squat about current world events or anything like that. It was just a man talking about his journey through life and there was a lot there most of us could relate to. Any more details would make this "peanut gallery stuff."

Dom Heffner
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
ORH mentioned "peanut gallery stuff" and "spiritual journey" and got Dom excited!

Yeah, that must have been it. It apparently doesn't take me much to start assuming things, apparently LOL...

Or to get me excited...

I'm just going to file every word I typed here under "Never Mind." :)

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 11:47 AM
For the record, and I think I can say as much without leading this thread into unacceptable areas, he is now a Christian, was not during his heyday, and his talk was about what how he came to be a Christian. He talked briefly about the music scene during those days, the good and the bad, and how that shaped who he is today. He didn't really say squat about current world events or anything like that. It was just a man talking about his journey through life and there was a lot there most of us could relate to. Any more details would make this "peanut gallery stuff."

I just want to know: is England Dan really from England?

macro
09-13-2007, 01:11 PM
I just want to know: is England Dan really from England?

Excellent question, one that sent me to google. Here is what I learned:

Dan Seals was born February 8, 1948 in McCamey, Texas

The moniker "England" was adopted in 1970, just before the release of their first hit. The reason he chose "England Dan" was for nothing simpler than the fact that it sounded "cool" and he'd always wanted to see England (the country).

Because of his exploits with the band, he eventually went on to see England at least three times before the band broke up in 1980. Dan Seals has since gotten involved with the country music industry as a recording artist/songwriter, and dropped "England" when he started his country music career.

Probably more info than you were looking for FCB. :)

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Excellent question, one that sent me to google. Here is what I learned:

Dan Seals was born February 8, 1948 in McCamey, Texas

The moniker "England" was adopted in 1970, just before the release of their first hit. The reason he chose "England Dan" was for nothing simpler than the fact that it sounded "cool" and he'd always wanted to see England (the country).

Because of his exploits with the band, he eventually went on to see England at least three times before the band broke up in 1980. Dan Seals has since gotten involved with the country music industry as a recording artist/songwriter, and dropped "England" when he started his country music career.

Probably more info than you were looking for FCB. :)

So what you're saying is that Dan Seals has a serious yen for women with crooked teeth.

marcshoe
09-13-2007, 11:14 PM
I read once that he got the nickname as a kid because he was a Beatles fanatic and adopted an English accent for a while.

It may not be true, but it's a good story....