PDA

View Full Version : Taking a look at the positivies of 2007

reds44
09-10-2007, 06:31 PM
With an eye on 2008, we have heard so much about the negatives of 2007. Whether it be the lack of starting pitching, the manager, the bullpen, or just the bad team in general there have been a ton of negatives this season. With the season winding down, I'd figure I'd take a look at the positives.

(In no real order)

1. Brandon Phillips, 2B

.288/.333/.494/.827
28 HRs
84 RBIs
29 SBs
24 2Bs
6 3Bs
97 runs

What can you say about Brandon Phillips? He does just about everything you can ask on the field, and a pleasure to have in the clubhouse. Sure he could walk more, but he's a rare blend of power, speed, and defense. If there is a face of the franchise type guy, this is it.

2. Adam Dunn

.263/.381/.543
36 Hrs
96 RBIs
24 2Bs
2 3Bs
93 runs
91 BB

Here's a guy (along with Edwin Encarnacion) who really took off after the pature of former manager Jerry Narron. He posted a .276/.443/.661 line in August and was one of the main reasons the team played much better in the 2nd half. A possible free agent in the offseason, the Reds will pick up his option and hopefully attempt to re-sign.

3. Josh Hamilton

.293/.373/.564
19 homers
47 RBIs
17 2Bs
2 3Bs
51 Runs
291 ABs

With the recent HGH news of Rick Ankiel, Josh Hamilton becomes the hands down feel good story of the year. Not only did he make the team and stay clean, but he produced when healthy. Hitting leadoff most of the year, he did a superb job and played an adequate CF. Will probably need to move to RF or LF for health reasons, but he is a big part of the Reds future plans.

4. Ken Griffey Jr.

.283/.385/.520
30 HRs
92 RBIs
85 BB/88 Ks
23 2Bs
1 3B
77 R

Junior showed once again when he is healthy he is still a force to be reckon with. He has yet to see the DL, while posting great numbers. His nearly 1/1 K/BB ratio is somethng you do not see every day. After a slow start in RF, he played a great defense in the 2nd half of the season. On the brink of 600 homers, 2007 could very well be his last season as a Red.

5. Aaron Harang

14 W
3 Losses
202 IP
185 H
3.64 ERA
187 K
47 BB
2 CG
SO

What can you say about Aaron Harang? He is a stud. That's all that needs to be said. A true ace in the Reds rotation, Harang has put together another great year. If he has one weakness, it is the 25 HRs he has surrendered. He's the Reds best pitcher heading into 2007.

6. Jared Burton

36 IP
2.73 ERA
23 H
21 BB
32 K
40 G

It's not everyday you can say a team's two best offseason acquistion's came via the rule V draft, but that's the case for the Reds this year. Burton, always known to have a great arm, did a great job after his 2nd DL stint of getting the ball to David Weathers. He, along with Bill Bray give the Reds two very good young bullpen arms. Burton could be David Weathers replacement as closer.

Honorable Mention:
David Weathers
Scott Hatteberg
Edwin Encarnacion (especially his 2nd half)

Natty Redlocks
09-10-2007, 10:33 PM
With an eye on 2008, we have heard so much about the negatives of 2007. Whether it be the lack of starting pitching, the manager, the bullpen, or just the bad team in general there have been a ton of negatives this season. With the season winding down, I'd figure I'd take a look at the positives.

(In no real order)

1. Brandon Phillips, 2B

.288/.333/.494/.827
28 HRs
84 RBIs
29 SBs
24 2Bs
6 3Bs
97 runs

What can you say about Brandon Phillips? He does just about everything you can ask on the field, and a pleasure to have in the clubhouse. Sure he could walk more, but he's a rare blend of power, speed, and defense. If there is a face of the franchise type guy, this is it.

2. Adam Dunn

.263/.381/.543
36 Hrs
96 RBIs
24 2Bs
2 3Bs
93 runs
91 BB

Here's a guy (along with Edwin Encarnacion) who really took off after the pature of former manager Jerry Narron. He posted a .276/.443/.661 line in August and was one of the main reasons the team played much better in the 2nd half. A possible free agent in the offseason, the Reds will pick up his option and hopefully attempt to re-sign.

3. Josh Hamilton

.293/.373/.564
19 homers
47 RBIs
17 2Bs
2 3Bs
51 Runs
291 ABs

With the recent HGH news of Rick Ankiel, Josh Hamilton becomes the hands down feel good story of the year. Not only did he make the team and stay clean, but he produced when healthy. Hitting leadoff most of the year, he did a superb job and played an adequate CF. Will probably need to move to RF or LF for health reasons, but he is a big part of the Reds future plans.

4. Ken Griffey Jr.

.283/.385/.520
30 HRs
92 RBIs
85 BB/88 Ks
23 2Bs
1 3B
77 R

Junior showed once again when he is healthy he is still a force to be reckon with. He has yet to see the DL, while posting great numbers. His nearly 1/1 K/BB ratio is somethng you do not see every day. After a slow start in RF, he played a great defense in the 2nd half of the season. On the brink of 600 homers, 2007 could very well be his last season as a Red.

5. Aaron Harang

14 W
3 Losses
202 IP
185 H
3.64 ERA
187 K
47 BB
2 CG
SO

What can you say about Aaron Harang? He is a stud. That's all that needs to be said. A true ace in the Reds rotation, Harang has put together another great year. If he has one weakness, it is the 25 HRs he has surrendered. He's the Reds best pitcher heading into 2007.

6. Jared Burton

36 IP
2.73 ERA
23 H
21 BB
32 K
40 G

It's not everyday you can say a team's two best offseason acquistion's came via the rule V draft, but that's the case for the Reds this year. Burton, always known to have a great arm, did a great job after his 2nd DL stint of getting the ball to David Weathers. He, along with Bill Bray give the Reds two very good young bullpen arms. Burton could be David Weathers replacement as closer.

Honorable Mention:
David Weathers
Scott Hatteberg
Edwin Encarnacion (especially his 2nd half)

Good list. And I see 3 out of 6 were Krivsky steals; gotta admit the guy has done a few things right.

BucksandReds
09-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Good list. And I see 3 out of 6 were Krivsky steals; gotta admit the guy has done a few things right.

Krivsky has this team in the right direction. I don't see how anyone wouldn't agree. He fell flat on his face with our relievers to end last and start this season. Besides that we have Phillips, Hamilton, Arroyo and a heck of alot of help on the way with him to thank. Krivsky gets a B for now and our players get a C -D over the last 2 years for not playing up to their potential. The brightspots I see getting brighter, however. Our youth is our strength and that is a great sign.

AmarilloRed
09-11-2007, 01:04 AM
I would think Bill Bray and Jeff Keppinger should also be considered Positives.

durl
09-11-2007, 09:07 AM
I would think Bill Bray and Jeff Keppinger should also be considered Positives.

+1

Bray is showing that he can be a big help to the bullpen. As for Keppinger, I would like to see him be at least the infield utility guy next year. His BA makes him more valuable than Freel, in my opinion. Let Hopper be the outfield back-up.

bounty37h
09-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Good list, and good post!!! I couldnt agree more with your assesment of the bright spots this season, and the excitement they will bring next year, hopefully joined by another player or 2 stepping up to join them, mainly the lack of pitchers on the list.

Screwball
09-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Great post, reds44. It's good to see the Reds have a lot of young talent (excluding Griffey of course) that we can enjoy watching for years to come. I wish we could put some more pitchers on that list, but I guess we'll have to wait for Bailey, Cueto, Maloney? and Bray to mature for that to happen.

jnwohio
09-11-2007, 06:34 PM
A big September should move EE up from the honorable mention group.

Since his return he has very quietly put together a solid season. Good clutch hitting, incredible defense, and it looks like the power is finally starting to come back.

Is he a middle of the lineup right handed power plant? I think we still don't know that but he is an everyday keeper or at the least the centerpiece in a major deal and not a throw away or throw in.

Krawhitham
09-11-2007, 08:02 PM
EE had 6 errors in his 1st 30 games and 6 errors in his next 91 games, almost GG caliber

ChatterRed
09-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Good post. Good reminder that Krivsky has added some nice YOUNG pieces to the puzzle.

He has struggled to acquire good pitching other than maybe Arroyo, Burton and Bray. But every team in the majors is lacking in this area. When he does strike gold, this team will get over the hump.

UK Reds Fan
09-12-2007, 09:04 AM
The hard part is we appear to be on the cusp, but we can't add the pieces to the pitching staff to get over the hump next year.

Starting pitching has ERA of over 5 which puts in bottom half, whereas the Relievers are worse by a far amount.

I believe there is ample evidence to detect a fuller load to Burton, Weathers, Bray and Coutlangas will improve that alot with less load of Stanton, Sarloos, Coffey, etc.. Even Salmon would project better than the bullpen chaff we've seen this year.

The concern is we lose a respectable but not great year from Lohse and replace it with ????? not to mention whomever can take the final 2 spots in rotation.

If we can jettison Griff for a league average arm that isn't amazingly overpaid, I'd bank we can be in solid contention to grab the division next year with the remaining roster impact.

AmarilloRed
09-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Bray and Burton will be counted on next year. Weathers will help in a set-up role if Father Time does not get to him . Salmon, Coutlangas, and McBeth should all be better with another year of experience. I have faith the bullpen will be much better next year. Our main concern will be upgrading the starting rotation.

HokieRed
09-12-2007, 10:05 PM
EE is becoming the player many of us knew he would be. He is a 24 year old potential star at one of the hardest positions on the field to fill. Expectations for him got way out of control, IMHO, at the beginning of the season. He played his way through that, did his stint at Louisville and came back a much better player, and is fast becoming the right handed hitter and above average 3baseman he has the talent to be. I think he's one of the top stories of the year.

UK Reds Fan
09-13-2007, 08:58 AM
EE is becoming the player many of us knew he would be. He is a 24 year old potential star at one of the hardest positions on the field to fill. Expectations for him got way out of control, IMHO, at the beginning of the season. He played his way through that, did his stint at Louisville and came back a much better player, and is fast becoming the right handed hitter and above average 3baseman he has the talent to be. I think he's one of the top stories of the year.

I would have to agree. His numbers are solid but not spectacular and given EE's salary is bottom barrell at this point, we have a solid 3B that we control for 3-4 more years for a reasonable price.