PDA

View Full Version : Another catcher obtained by Reds

Matt700wlw
09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
REDS ACQUIRE ALVIN COLINA

Catcher Claimed Off Waivers From Rockies

CINCINNATI - Cincinnati Reds Executive Vice President and General Manager Wayne Krivsky today announced the acquisition of C Alvin Colina off waivers from the Colorado Rockies (not to report).

Colina, 26, spent the 2007 season at Class AAA Colorado Springs, where he produced 5 HR and 35 RBI in 80 games. He threw out 23 of 60 baserunners attempting to steal (38%).

Colina had spent his entire career with the Rockies organization since he signed in 1998 at the age of 17. Last season he made his Major League debut, appearing in 2 games with Colorado. In his first big league appearance, on September 18 vs the Giants, Colina collected a pinch-hit RBI-single on the first pitch he saw from Jonathan Sanchez.

Prior to this season, Colina was rated among Colorado's 25 best prospects by Baseball America. The Venezuela native is a 2-time minor league All-Star (2000, 2003).

Chip R
09-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Wayne must have misread his name and thought it was Molina. ;)

M2
09-11-2007, 07:32 PM
I had a friend who caught alvincolina from a dirty water fountain.

RedsManRick
09-11-2007, 07:39 PM
.566 OPS in the PCL. Wonder what other organizational solider is moving on. Perhaps the KeyMastur won't be serving his full suspension as a Red.

flyer85
09-11-2007, 07:55 PM
where do I get the playoff tickets?

Matt700wlw
09-11-2007, 07:57 PM
where do I get the playoff tickets?

Paul Brown Stadium

:D

KronoRed
09-11-2007, 08:09 PM
We love catchers.

flyer85
09-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Paul Brown Stadium

:Dthat was my thought as well

DoogMinAmo
09-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Paul Brown Stadium

:D

Nippert Stadium.:thumbup:

MartyFan
09-11-2007, 11:32 PM
We love catchers.

And we loved Middle IF's when we picked up BP...the field will thin.

LoganBuck
09-11-2007, 11:46 PM
Nippert Stadium.:thumbup:

Who joined the Championship Subdivision?

blumj
09-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Wayne must have misread his name and thought it was Molina. ;)

The Orioles actually have a "phony" catching Molina who's no relation to the "real" ones.

fearofpopvol1
09-12-2007, 01:15 AM
as long as he's going to 3a, i'm really pretty oblivious about the move.

camisadelgolf
09-12-2007, 04:08 AM
http://thebaseballcube.com/players/C/Alvin-Colina.shtml

He's been a disaster above AA. I still like the move, though.

oneupper
09-12-2007, 06:42 AM
http://thebaseballcube.com/players/C/Alvin-Colina.shtml

He's been a disaster above AA. I still like the move, though.

He will probably get some PT with Caracas in the Venezuelan League this winter.

Heath
09-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Alvin Colina translated loosely from the Spanish is David Ross.

RedlegJake
09-12-2007, 08:56 AM
cheap, no risk, even if he's just filler for the minors you need those guys, too. No excitement but the guy had upside, another year to see can't hurt.

puca
09-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Assuming he is moved off of the 40-man roster and never makes it back on except in case of a dire emergency, I don't much care.

KronoRed
09-12-2007, 01:10 PM
And we loved Middle IF's when we picked up BP...the field will thin.

We already found our BP, he's Ross...except it was only for one year ;)

PuffyPig
09-12-2007, 02:31 PM
I had a friend who caught alvincolina from a dirty water fountain.

Don't laugh, I had mine removed many years ago.

Guacarock
09-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Now that we have acquired Alvin, can the chipmunks be far behind?

KronoRed
09-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Now that we have acquired Alvin, can the chipmunks be far behind?

Theadore is slow but has good power, Simon can work the count but fails in the clutch

M2
09-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Well, I just figured out why the Reds acquired Colina.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=586

Apparently he's got a rifle behind the plate. Though if the Reds really want a rocket arm catcher who could play in the majors, I'd suggest looking at the name immediately above Colina on that list.

Highlifeman21
09-13-2007, 04:23 PM

Apparently he's got a rifle behind the plate. Though if the Reds really want a rocket arm catcher who could play in the majors, I'd suggest looking at the name immediately above Colina on that list.

When we finally trade Adam Dunn to the Angels, as many have suggested, wished, and or demanded since 2002 or 2003, maybe Jeff Mathis can be the "toss in" that seals the deal for Wayne Krivsky....

WVRedsFan
09-13-2007, 04:54 PM
These moves by Krivsky, though they aren't monumental or of any concern to the big club, drive me nuts. This club needs pitching and right-handed hitting and he goes and gets, even though this guy may be filler, another .200 hitter with a rifle arm who's thrown out 38% of the runners he's attempted.

I guess it would be easy to overlook if it weren't for the glaring problems the ML club has. He reminds me of the guy who's always going through someone else's trash to find a good deal on something no one else wanted. Like I said, it drives me nuts.

Someday before I die, i want a real GM who trades and acquires talent and not someone else's leftovers. That's the difference in championshiip teams and also-rans.

camisadelgolf
09-13-2007, 05:34 PM
These moves by Krivsky, though they aren't monumental or of any concern to the big club, drive me nuts. This club needs pitching and right-handed hitting . . .

Are you meaning to imply that he's not trying to obtain pitching and right-handed hitting? Tell me one GM who has recently and successfully obtained pitching. I'll be able to name for you multiple reasons why Wayne Krivsky is doing better than him.

Someday before I die, i want a real GM who trades and acquires talent and not someone else's leftovers. That's the difference in championshiip teams and also-rans.

Do you think the 2006 Cardinals, 2005 White Sox, 2004 Red Sox, etc. never acquired other teams' "leftovers"?

The problem, in my opinion, isn't how Krivsky is spending his time. I think the problem is that the organization was in such a mess that not only does he have to meet his own quota, but he has to make up for the things that JimBo and DanO failed to do.

RedsManRick
09-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Just because you have to paint your house doesn't mean you shouldn't do your laundry.

WVRedsFan
09-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Just because you have to paint your house doesn't mean you shouldn't do your laundry.

OK, I get it. Bringing Alvin on was a stroke of genius, right?

I sometimes get sidetracked when I'm making sense (to me).

Carry on.

Everything is beautiful in its own way, you know.

RedsManRick
09-13-2007, 06:34 PM

I sometimes get sidetracked when I'm making sense (to me).

Carry on.

Everything is beautiful in its own way, you know.

Bringing Alvin on negatively affected our chances to acquire pitching and right handed bats how exactly? I guess Wayne shouldn't take a crap or eat dinner until we have a legitimate #3 starter either.

I don't particularly see the point in the acquisition either. But who cares? You make it sound like he had to choose between this guy and making the trade that would bring us pitching.

I can see it now "Well, I was on the phone, about to trade Chris Dickerson for Matt Garza, but then I saw Colina on the wire. I hung up, ran in to the Ops room and made sure we filed our paperwork to scoop him up before it was too late. By the time I got back, Terry Ryan had stepped down from his job and the Garza deal was dead. Oh well, at least we got that catcher... what's his name again?"

Ltlabner
09-13-2007, 06:40 PM

:confused:

I don't think RMR was saying it was a brillant "stroke of genius" move was he?

The Reds are very weak in the catching department. Seems like maybe taking some low risk chances on some catchers might be a good idea. This kid is obviously "offence challenged" but why not take a flyer and get some kids into the system, especially in a very weak position throughout the entire orginization.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be scouring the earth for pitching, of course, but I don't see the harm in such a move. Not to mention it is possible to look for two different types of players at the same time.

WVRedsFan
09-13-2007, 07:04 PM
:confused:

I don't think RMR was saying it was a brillant "stroke of genius" move was he?

The Reds are very weak in the catching department. Seems like maybe taking some low risk chances on some catchers might be a good idea. This kid is obviously "offence challenged" but why not take a flyer and get some kids into the system, especially in a very weak position throughout the entire orginization.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't be scouring the earth for pitching, of course, but I don't see the harm in such a move. Not to mention it is possible to look for two different types of players at the same time.
Oh, I agree, but it still gets me that we seem to laser-like snatch on to some of these less than adequates and ignore the real need of the team. We are weak in catching, there's no doubt about that, but why bring in another Chad Moeller? Of course, it should have been done earlier at the deadline, but why not go for talented players--ones who would make a difference instead of these dime a dozen deals he keeps making? I'm one of Adam Dunn's biggest fans, but I'd respect Krivsky a lot more if he traded Dunn for a No. 2 starter than I will for continually scraping the bottom of the trash can all the time hoping to catch lightening in a bottle.

Ltlabner
09-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Oh, I agree, but it still gets me that we seem to laser-like snatch on to some of these less than adequates and ignore the real need of the team. We are weak in catching, there's no doubt about that, but why bring in another Chad Moeller? Of course, it should have been done earlier at the deadline, but why not go for talented players--ones who would make a difference instead of these dime a dozen deals he keeps making? I'm one of Adam Dunn's biggest fans, but I'd respect Krivsky a lot more if he traded Dunn for a No. 2 starter than I will for continually scraping the bottom of the trash can all the time hoping to catch lightening in a bottle.

You raise a very good point. We all want a GM who can see the potential in players other teams have discarded. But is it possible to go too far with the 'lightening in a bottle" plan? Sure, if you build your entire team building framework around that...it can be very bad.

If Wayne is using his "bargan basement" skills (which for position players has been very good) to save money for use later on for pitching (either via FA or taking on more sallary) then I think it's a good approach. If he's just hopeing to bargin shop his way into prosparity then it's a very bad plan.

Heath
09-13-2007, 10:06 PM

Is that Nick Hundley related to Todd & Randy?