PDA

View Full Version : Michael Mann's Nike Commercial

Caveat Emperor
09-12-2007, 01:22 AM
Michael Mann (director of such movies as Collateral, The Insider, and Last of the Mohicans) directed this new spot for Nike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55BZ2gSsSmY

This is probably one of the coolest commercials I've seen in a long time. As a means of advertising or pushing product for Nike, it falls flat -- but it succeeds brilliantly at being 1 minute of damn good television.

Definitely worth a watch if you didn't see it this past weekend during the NFL games.

MrCinatit
09-12-2007, 01:34 AM
That commercial has caught my eyes a few times over the weekend - a most well-done commercial indeed.
Mann directing it explains the soundtrack, which comes from Last of the Mohicans (took me a few viewings before I was able to make the connection - I believe it was used near the end where Hawkeye and Uncas are chasing Magua along a cliff side).
The transitions from play to play are very well done.

Caseyfan21
09-12-2007, 02:46 AM
I saw this on MNF last night and mentioned to my friend it was probably the best commercial we saw all night...pretty cool.

wally post
09-12-2007, 03:32 AM
I think it is very effective as a commercial - and yes, it is lovely. I love the irish music.. I wish I could place that piece...maybe a Braveheart cue? not sure.

MrCinatit
09-12-2007, 03:54 AM
I think it is very effective as a commercial - and yes, it is lovely. I love the irish music.. I wish I could place that piece...maybe a Braveheart cue? not sure.

Last of the Mohicans - a Mann film.

Johnny Footstool
09-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Ummm...no love for Miami Vice?!?

Dom Heffner
09-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Very rarely do I go to a movie because of the director. Michael Mann is a must see no matter what (Clint Eastwood is now that way for me as well).

Collateral -with the exception of the last 30 minutes- is a close to perfect movie.

Great commercial.

Redsland
09-12-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure if you need a subscription to see this, but here's (http://creativity-online.com/work/view?seed=25b43dd7) the spot, including full credits.

bucksfan2
09-12-2007, 01:43 PM
He forgot to add the clip where Merriman is juicing up. Other that that it was a pretty cool comercial.

Johnny Footstool
09-12-2007, 02:28 PM
I fully expected to see Shawn Merriman appear at the end, snatch the ball out of Jackson's outstretched hand, and proceed to run the entire length of the field once again...

...only to have the ball knocked loose at the goal line by an enraged Steven Jackson, who scoops up the fumble and proceeds to run the entire length...........

Blimpie
09-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Ummm...no love for Miami Vice?!?I was thinking the same thing....

Well, that, and a shout out for the movie Manhunter. Not only was this my favorite screen adaptation of Hannibal Lecter, but it was also the best use of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" in any motion picture.

:rockband:

Johnny Footstool
09-13-2007, 12:05 AM
I was thinking the same thing....

Well, that, and a shout out for the movie Manhunter. Not only was this my favorite screen adaptation of Hannibal Lecter, but it was also the best use of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" in any motion picture.

:rockband:

Manhunter was absolutely awesome.

The actor who played Francis Dolarhyde (Tom Noonan) must have made friends with William Peterson, because he showed up on an episode of CSI a few years ago. He was still exceedingly creepy.

camisadelgolf
09-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Ummm...no love for Miami Vice?!?

I have plenty of love for that film.:thumbup:

MrCinatit
09-13-2007, 05:44 AM
Earlier than that, he had done a rather good, moody film called Thief, with James Caan, Tuesday Weld, Willie Nelson, Dennis Farina, James Belushi, and William Peterson. A nice little soundtrack by Tangerine Dream.

BuckeyeRedleg
09-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Manhunter was absolutely awesome.

The actor who played Francis Dolarhyde (Tom Noonan) must have made friends with William Peterson, because he showed up on an episode of CSI a few years ago. He was still exceedingly creepy.

Ahh. Manhunter. Awesome movie.

The movie with Hannibal Lecter, before Silence of the Lambs.

A few years later in another Michael Mann movie, Heat, I noticed both seriel killers from Manhunter (Tom Noonan - Francis Dolarhyde) and Silence of the Lambs (Ted Levine - Jame 'Buffalo Bill' Gumb) present. Those two were two of the more disturbing characters and frightening movies I have ever seen. Another cop present in Heat was Wes Studi, who played Magua in Last of the Mohicans.

By the way, as a kid Friday nights WERE Miami Vice. That was at least until my junior year of HS, when girls and partying became more important. No DVR, but at least we had the VHS.

BuckeyeRedleg
09-13-2007, 10:09 AM
As for the commerical. One of the best I've seen in some time.

OldRightHander
09-13-2007, 10:38 AM

Recorded by a band named Clannad, the same band that featured Enya at one time.