westofyou
09-12-2007, 10:35 AM
7 Months ago

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54501

Today

http://www.baseballanalysts.com/

Pat the Bat
By Patrick Sullivan

This happens all the time. Fans and media members spend time bemoaning some player that does not suit their fancy for one reason or another, only to have that player come on strong to carry their team to glory. Then the individual who had been killing the player will talk of how the player has come out of nowhere when, in reality, the player had been quite good all along, just under-appreciated.

The guy Phillies fans and media alike love to hate is causing many of them quite a dilemma these days. A sub-.500 team as late as July 7, Philadelphia now finds themselves 2.5 games out of a wildcard slot. There is no individual more responsible for this late season surge than Pat Burrell. He has been the best hitter in baseball since the All-Star Break and better yet, has been getting it done in one clutch situation after another. The haters may just have to come around.

Pat Burrell can't field and can't run and I will concede that if he could do those things he would be a much better baseball player. If Magglio Ordonez could don the tools of ignorance once a week and spell Pudge Rodriguez instead of Mike Rabelo, that would help the Tigers a whole lot and make Mags a much more valuable player. He cannot of course, because he has limitations as a player. Just like Ryan Howard, just like Johan Santana, just like Burrell and every other athlete. Pat Burrell hits very well and this makes him a very good player. Focusing on what he cannot do while ignoring what he does quite well does Burrell a real disservice.

Burrell has been a good player for quite some time now. He is a career .259/.367/.484 hitter, good for a 119 OPS+. Since 2005, here is how he has been performing at the plate.

PA AVG OBP SLG OPS+
2005 669 .281 .389 .504 125
2006 567 .258 .388 .502 124
2007 522 .266 .406 .525 137

Pretty good, huh? Pat Burrell still can't field, still can't run and still strikes out all the time. He is also Philadelphia's only hope for reaching the post-season. He's hitting .332/.447/674 since the All-Star Break and fans seem to be coming around, as evidenced by the palpable excitement at Citizens Bank Park that can be sensed everytime he grabs a bat these days.

I imagine even Bill Conlin and Mike Schmidt and Jack McCaffery and Pat Gillick might soon be coming around.

BTW Dunn since the AS Game

.279/.427/.568

TOBTTReds
09-12-2007, 11:09 AM

.279/.427/.568

I was about to post Dunn's post AS break numbers yesterday. Amazing how quickly things turn around for someone. He had a ridiculous August.

9 hr, 25 rbi, .276/.443/.621 26 bb/23 k

Cyclone792
09-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Philly fans aren't booing Burrell anymore these days? I'm amazed, though I know the next time he goes 2-17 in a week with a couple walks and a bunch of strikeouts he'll be back near the top of the Public Enemy list.

And Dunn has been on an absolute tear recently. Despite his recent power slump (which he broke last night), Dunn was still posting OBPs well over .400 during that stretch.

Chip R
09-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Philly fans aren't booing Burrell anymore these days? I'm amazed, though I know the next time he goes 2-17 in a week with a couple walks and a bunch of strikeouts he'll be back near the top of the Public Enemy list.

When I was there a few weeks ago they weren't. Yeah, he got a few catcalls after striking out and someone called him fat but Dunn got booed worse than Pat did on Sunday when he popped up to the catcher.

Highlifeman21
09-12-2007, 01:39 PM

And Dunn has been on an absolute tear recently. Despite his recent power slump (which he broke last night), Dunn was still posting OBPs well over .400 during that stretch.

Philly fans won't be happy until they've run Burrell outta town, much like they did Bobby Abreu.

Pat Burrell could lead them to a World Series this year, be the MVP, and they'd still ***** about something with the guy's game.

Gotta love those Philly fans. I'm sure Ryan Howard's felt some of their abuse this year after putting up sub-par numbers compared to his 2006 campaign.

redsmetz
09-12-2007, 02:53 PM
I remember this controversy all those months ago. I examined Dunn's and Schmidt's records at around the same time in their careers (Dunn through this season, age 27, 7 seasons/Schmidt through the 1978, age 28, 7 seasons)

Dunn Schmidt

236 Home Runs 190

567 RBI's 552

1082 K's 697

666 BB's 569

962 Games 924

I would suggest Dunn's doing most things right. Obviously, and this was Schmidt's point, the K's are the huge difference.

jojo
09-12-2007, 03:16 PM

.279/.427/.568

You should check your spread sheet because everyone knows Dunn fades fast in the second half.... :cool:

All kidding aside, in his last 150 PAs, Dunn has looked like Bonds at the plate.

flyer85
09-12-2007, 03:25 PM
All kidding aside, in his last 150 PAs, Dunn has looked like Bonds at the plate.Post ASB Dunn's BB/K ratio is ~1.0. Much higher than normal and it his OBP has jumped to over .420 in the 2nd half.

BRM
09-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Post ASB Dunn's BB/K ratio is ~1.0. Much higher than normal and it his OBP has jumped to over .420 in the 2nd half.

It sure would be nice if the Reds were to capitalize on that and move him up.