PDA

View Full Version : Dunn and Castellini meet...

Matt700wlw
09-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Dunn, Castellini meet

Adam Dunn and Reds CEO Bob Castellini had lunch this afternoon at Castelllini's downtown office. No, Dunn’s option for next year was not discussed. And there was no talk of extension.

“It was nothing,” Dunn said. “It was lunch. I've been wanting to talk to him. Really, it was harmless lunch. We didn't talk about anything (concerning me). That’s kind of the way we wanted it. We talked about the team.”

Dunn left impressed with Castellini.

“He’s outstanding,” Dunn said. “He’s awesome. He’s so approachable. He’s just fun to talk to.”

For the record, they had Montgomery Inn.

Whether the Reds pick up Dunn's $13.5 million option is one of the major issues of the offseason. Dunn's made a case for himself. He's hitting .266 and he's tied for second in the NL with 38 home runs and fifth in RBI with 101

-Fay

Chip R
09-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Dunn, Castellini meet

Adam Dunn and Reds CEO Bob Castellini had lunch this afternoon at Castelllini's downtown office. No, Dunn’s option for next year was not discussed. And there was no talk of extension.

“It was nothing,” Dunn said. “It was lunch. I've been wanting to talk to him. Really, it was harmless lunch. We didn't talk about anything (concerning me). That’s kind of the way we wanted it. We talked about the team.”

I find it hard to believe that Dunn had lunch with Bob and the subject of that option or a long term deal didn't come up.

fearofpopvol1
09-12-2007, 07:28 PM
To me, I take away from it taht BCast is/was courting Dunn (maybe for a LTC extension)? I see this meeting as only a positive.

RedLegSuperStar
09-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Is it 13.5 million or is it 13 million?

I thought the .5 million was the buyout..

icehole3
09-12-2007, 07:47 PM
I was president of the get rid of Dunn Hate club, Im no longer a card carrying member, I can put up with the ball going right thru the legs to the wall on a routine single as long as he stays consistent at the plate.

VR
09-12-2007, 08:27 PM
I find it hard to believe that Dunn had lunch with Bob and the subject of that option or a long term deal didn't come up.

ya think :laugh:

OnBaseMachine
09-12-2007, 08:31 PM
This is outstanding news. Do the smart thing Bob, sign Dunn long-term.

Matt700wlw
09-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Something had to have come up betweem the two of them....I imagine they wouldn't tell us anything until a decision is finalized one way or the other.

We speculate enough as it is :)

And we are again...over lunch :D

KronoRed
09-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Maybe Bob just wanted to see Adam's iPhone

:D

jojo
09-12-2007, 08:38 PM
I was president of the get rid of Dunn Hate club, Im no longer a card carrying member, I can put up with the ball going right thru the legs to the wall on a routine single as long as he stays consistent at the plate.

If he suddenly permanently turns into the guy he's been for the last 150 PAs, I could put up with a ball bouncing off his head occasionally.

Dunn's last 150 PA's probably aren't any more informative of his true skill than his last 200 of '06 were. Players have ups and downs. It's just the way it is.

M2
09-12-2007, 08:45 PM
To me, I take away from it taht BCast is/was courting Dunn (maybe for a LTC extension)? I see this meeting as only a positive.

Agreed. It also gives Castellini some information about what sorts of things, if they were to happen, might persuade Dunn to sign that LTC. "Hey, we added the pitcher you said we needed. Now we need to make sure you're here to play with him."

Dunn's last 150 PA's probably aren't any more informative of his true skill than his last 200 of '06 were. Players have ups and downs. It's just the way it is.

That's an important perspective to keep. In Dunn's favor, he is in his prime and I don't think old player skills will be much of an issue until he's 31 or so. In the meantime, he really should be, roughly, a .925-.950 OPS player. He does himself a lot of favors when he takes the walks pitchers are handing him. It's not the 1.000+ OPS monster we all hoped for in his youth, but it's still a big impact over the course of 162 games.

OnBaseMachine
09-12-2007, 09:06 PM
It sounds like Pete Mackanin is lobbying for the Reds to sign Dunn:

The Reds' left fielder is easily on pace for his fourth straight 40 homer season. With 95 runs scored, Dunn also is likely to reach the 100-run plateau for the third time in four years.

"You look at the statistics, and results are what counts at this level," interim manager Pete Mackanin said. "You look at over 100 RBIs, the 40 home runs, the 100 runs scored. It's hard to replace numbers like that. And he's a good teammate. He's a solid guy. Everybody likes him."

"You have to take the good with the bad. I love having him," Mackanin reasoned.

"Every time he comes up to the plate, you feel like you're going to see something like you did tonight," Mackanin said. "That's what you come to the ballpark for. Those fans that left the ballpark tonight who saw that grand slam off the roof of that boat, I guarantee they'll be going home talking about it."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070911&content_id=2202033&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Highlifeman21
09-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Dunn, Castellini meet

Dunn left impressed with Castellini.

“He’s outstanding,” Dunn said. “He’s awesome. He’s so approachable. He’s just fun to talk to.”

For the record, they had Montgomery Inn.

Whether the Reds pick up Dunn's $13.5 million option is one of the major issues of the offseason. Dunn's made a case for himself. He's hitting .266 and he's tied for second in the NL with 38 home runs and fifth in RBI with 101

-Fay

That would be enough to make me wanna leave town.

Montgomery Inn....

I would hold out for Morton's.

SunDeck
09-12-2007, 10:04 PM
I hope at least Bob picked up the tab. A small step towards picking up his option.

mth123
09-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Another possiblilty was that Cast was guaging Dunn's attitude toward waiving his no trade should the team pick up the option.

We really don't know what, if anything, it was about. But I join those who hope its an indication that a long term deal with Dunn is coming down the road.

11larkin11
09-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Maybe they are seeing Dunn as a team leader and asking him about what he thinks they should do this offseason.

lollipopcurve
09-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Very encouraging to see the owner do this. Sends a message around town, too.

SteelSD
09-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Color me happy that the team owner is taking the time to sit down with his team's best offensive player to discuss the team. That shows me a lot and, hopefully, that'll give Dunn an indication that the Reds want him, need him, and gotta have him over the next few seasons.

CrackerJack
09-12-2007, 11:24 PM
I'd think he'd meet with Krivsky versus Cast regarding any team direction or personnel issues?

I believe it was just a good will lunch with the owner and one of his stars.

I'm sure that happens.

SteelSD
09-12-2007, 11:28 PM
I'd think he'd meet with Krivsky versus Cast regarding any team direction or personnel issues?

I believe it was just a good will lunch with the owner and one of his stars.

I'm sure that happens.

Trust me, having lunch with the owner of your business has an altogether different meaning than hanging out with your boss or his upline.

There's a completely different "respect" factor involved.

Johnny Footstool
09-13-2007, 01:00 AM
Trust me, having lunch with the owner of your business has an altogether different meaning than hanging out with your boss or his upline.

There's a completely different "respect" factor involved.

Agreed. I don't see how this could be anything but good for Dunn and the Reds.

remdog
09-13-2007, 01:16 AM
This is good...very good. The image of Castellini and Dunn destroying a half a side of a cow and licking the sauce from their fingers is a good thing.

Now, did Bob tell Adam about that new bass boat he's been eyeing?

Rem

Aronchis
09-13-2007, 01:18 AM
I agree. Sounds like Dunn is willing to sign extension. Griff is the odd man out IMO.

Ron Madden
09-13-2007, 04:06 AM
I couldn't see Carl Lindner sitting down to lunch with Adam, or even being aware of Dunns talent.

Let's hope Bob Castellini recognizes the true value of Dunn, that Adam is this clubs most productive offensive player.

If so. This is great news indeed.

:thumbup:

camisadelgolf
09-13-2007, 05:34 AM
My two cents is that the Reds have a surplus of good outfielders and a severe lack of pitching. Even if they can get only a #3 starter (or a prospect whose ceiling is reasonably as a #2 starter), I think the Reds should trade him.

RedsBaron
09-13-2007, 07:12 AM
My two cents is that the Reds have a surplus of good outfielders and a severe lack of pitching. Even if they can get only a #3 starter (or a prospect whose ceiling is reasonably as a #2 starter), I think the Reds should trade him.

Yeah, the Frank Robinson trade worked out so well, let's do it again.

StillFunkyB
09-13-2007, 07:14 AM
This is good...very good. The image of Castellini and Dunn destroying a half a side of a cow and licking the sauce from their fingers is a good thing.

Now, did Bob tell Adam about that new bass boat he's been eyeing?

Rem

Rem....I bet there was a lot of talk about fishing at that lunch. Good call.

edabbs44
09-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Yeah, the Frank Robinson trade worked out so well, let's do it again.

Frank Robby > Adam Dunn.

JaxRed
09-13-2007, 09:21 AM
I couldn't see Carl Lindner sitting down to lunch with Adam, or even being aware of Dunns talent.

Let's hope Bob Castellini recognizes the true value of Dunn, that Adam is this clubs most productive offensive player.

If so. This is great news indeed.

:thumbup:

But we did see Lindner make the decision to give Larkin a big contract.....

Hopefully Castellini leaves those decsions to his baseball people

SunDeck
09-13-2007, 09:42 AM

It would be awkward. First, Dunn would have to chew all of Carl's meat for him, then would come the separate checks.

TOBTTReds
09-13-2007, 11:14 AM
That would be enough to make me wanna leave town.

Montgomery Inn....

I would hold out for Morton's.

Ughh. How dare you say such a thing around here...to the Sun Deck. ;)

Highlifeman21
09-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Ughh. How dare you say such a thing around here...to the Sun Deck. ;)

While I like ribs, I've never liked Montgomery Inn's sauce.

I know, I know, blasphemy.

Huge fan of their saratoga chips, but I prefer more of a Mississippi style BBQ sauce, definitely thicker and darker and a more full bodied taste.

Being that Dunn's from Texas, I can't imagine he likes Montgomery Inn's BBQ sauce either.

SunDeck
09-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Folks-

This is barbecue:

Smiley's (http://www.smileyslexingtonbbq.com/)

Hog Heaven (http://hogheaveninc.com/)

Clyde Cooper's (http://ncbbq.blogspot.com/2004/12/recommended-clyde-coopers-raleigh.html)

dabvu2498
09-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Folks-

This is barbecue:

Clyde Cooper's (http://ncbbq.blogspot.com/2004/12/recommended-clyde-coopers-raleigh.html)

Wrong Hog Heaven

http://www.hogheavenbbq.com/

redsmetz
09-13-2007, 12:25 PM
I guess we've moved this to going on about BBQ joints, so I thought I'd throw my slab on the grill. My wife and I took a little day trip to KC MO leaving the kids with the grandparents in Jeff City. We decided to look for a steak restaurant but opted for ribs. I read about this place, Arthur Bryant's BBQ, and we headed over. We pulled in the lot in a part of town that was a little run down. But we noticed the parking lot had lots of out of state plates (more than just Kansas!). We walked in, linoleum tile, bright fluorescent lights, formica tables and a counter at the front. We noticed pictures of various dignataries on the wall.

Just one question: Chicken or ribs? They slapped the entree on a piece of Wonder bread, slathered it with sauce and I think we had a choice of a side. That was it.

It was Yum.

http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/

http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/images/brooklyn_interior.jpg

WVRedsFan
09-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Folks-

This is barbecue:

Add Kings to that list:

http://www.kingsbbq.com/

And they'll even ship it to you (at a high cost).

I do love Montgomery Inn ribs, though.

redsmetz
09-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Of course, I wonder whether Adam and Bob ran down a list of their favorite BBQ joints?

Johnny Footstool
09-13-2007, 12:56 PM
I guess we've moved this to going on about BBQ joints, so I thought I'd throw my slab on the grill. My wife and I took a little day trip to KC MO leaving the kids with the grandparents in Jeff City. We decided to look for a steak restaurant but opted for ribs. I read about this place, Arthur Bryant's BBQ, and we headed over. We pulled in the lot in a part of town that was a little run down. But we noticed the parking lot had lots of out of state plates (more than just Kansas!). We walked in, linoleum tile, bright fluorescent lights, formica tables and a counter at the front. We noticed pictures of various dignataries on the wall.

Just one question: Chicken or ribs? They slapped the entree on a piece of Wonder bread, slathered it with sauce and I think we had a choice of a side. That was it.

It was Yum.

Arthur Bryant's is good. Fiorella's Jack's Stack is my favorite, though. They make a smoked prime rib that tastes like a velvet slice of heaven. However, it's much more uppity than Bryant's (or most other BBQ restaurants, for that matter). No Wonder bread.

dabvu2498
09-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Of course, I wonder whether Adam and Bob ran down a list of their favorite BBQ joints?

If they didn't they were just wasting time.

I'll add Dreamland in Alabama (originally in Tuscaloosa) http://www.dreamlandbbq.com and Rendevous in Memphis http://www.hogsfly.com .

SunDeck
09-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Wrong Hog Heaven

http://www.hogheavenbbq.com/

Yeah, there are more than a couple places called that, aren't there? I'll stack mine up against the one in Nashville anytime.

MartyFan
09-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Another possiblilty was that Cast was guaging Dunn's attitude toward waiving his no trade should the team pick up the option.

We really don't know what, if anything, it was about. But I join those who hope its an indication that a long term deal with Dunn is coming down the road.

That's where I come in on this too...You think that if they would have been talking about a LTC or picking up his option he would have had to have had his agent with him too...he didn't...so I think this was more of Mr. C talking with Dunn to see what his attitude is and what is important to him for his future...to see if Mr. C really wants to pick up the option and/or make a LTC offer.

TeamBoone
09-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Being that Dunn's from Texas, I can't imagine he likes Montgomery Inn's BBQ sauce either.

Maybe he's like me, and prefers his ribs "bare".

I like my ribs meaty and tender with a tasty seasoning; please no sauce. I don't particularly like sauce on chicken or burgers either.

PS - I prefer Burbank's to Montgomery Inn, though MI's are good.

TeamBoone
09-13-2007, 09:52 PM
That's where I come in on this too...You think that if they would have been talking about a LTC or picking up his option he would have had to have had his agent with him too...he didn't...so I think this was more of Mr. C talking with Dunn to see what his attitude is and what is important to him for his future...to see if Mr. C really wants to pick up the option and/or make a LTC offer.

Or, maybe it was just.... lunch.

creek14
09-13-2007, 09:59 PM
Hopefully Castellini leaves those decsions to his baseball people
They've done a bang-up job with the pen so far.

Blitz Dorsey
09-14-2007, 01:25 AM
Like many have already said on this thread, you gotta love this meeting between Cast and Dunn. There is no downside to something like this and it could mean something very positive. I have been on the fence about Dunn (don't want to trade him unless we get something really good) but the more I think about it I think the team should try and sign him to a LTC as long as he's not asking for too much. Around $15 mil is probably market value for him and I could get down with a 5-year/$75 mil deal. I know that sounds like a lot, but that is the minimum it will take IMO.

MartyFan
09-14-2007, 01:31 AM

Yeah, cause Dunn and Cast are boys and like to hang out together...sure, that could be it. :):)

KronoRed
09-14-2007, 02:15 AM

Maybe, could be they are both the type to not talk over lunch

Maybe it was a rib eating contest :thumbup:

GAC
09-16-2007, 06:24 AM

Maybe they were discussing going into a joint venture together, buying MI and renaming it Adam's Ribs? :lol:

JaxRed
09-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Actually, given that Adam has an agent that was not at the lunch, I assume chances that a long term deal were discussed in any manner are remote.