PDA

View Full Version : Marcos Mateo is PTBNL to the Cubs

oneupper
09-12-2007, 10:04 PM
...for Buck Coats.

Did we lose anything there?

HokieRed
09-12-2007, 10:08 PM
2 HRS in 72 innings; 1.67 GO/AO, 3.5 ERA, about 8K's per 9. Looks like a guy with a pretty good chance to be a major league reliever. I like the home run figure.

mth123
09-12-2007, 10:14 PM
I like Mateo. Not sure he is anything more than a run of the mill middle relief ceiling, but it seems like a strange deal to trade any pitching with a chance at the majors for Buck Coats. Of course I'm only going by numbers and its possible that he has no chance and will get exposed at higher levels. I just don't see why the Reds would trade any pitcher for an OF who looks similar to many of the second tier guys already here unless the deal involves dumping salary. It makes you really wonder if the deal was to acquire depth to position the team for a bigger deal with one of the OF.

fearofpopvol1
09-13-2007, 01:30 AM
Buck Coats has looked horrendous in the majors.

It seems like a bad trade, but what do I know.

CTA513
09-13-2007, 02:40 AM
Coats has looked horrible at the plate.

Topcat
09-13-2007, 03:59 AM
Coats has looked horrible at the plate.

Um small sample size? truth be told if he can come and add to the Reds assets then I applaud his acquisition. Position can not be end all be all. Talent acquisition and raising the competitive bar should always be looked at in a positive light.

muethibp
09-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Didn't see this anywhere else:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-redsmoves&prov=ap&type=lgns
CINCINNATI (AP) -- The Cincinnati Reds completed their Aug. 30 trade with the Chicago Cubs for outfielder Buck Coats and cash by sending minor league right-hander Marcos Mateo to Chicago.

The 23-year-old Mateo was signed by the Reds as a non-drafted free agent on June 24, 2004. He spent the season at Class-A Dayton, going 2-4 with a 3.50 ERA and six saves in 41 relief appearances.

TOBTTReds
09-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Joey Votto has looked horrible as a PH'er too. He sucks.

Doc. Scott
09-13-2007, 01:50 PM
2 HRS in 72 innings; 1.67 GO/AO, 3.5 ERA, about 8K's per 9. Looks like a guy with a pretty good chance to be a major league reliever. I like the home run figure.

He's 23 and pitched the entire year in Low-A without a promotion. I think he's a fringe prospect at best (i.e. not as much as Calvin Medlock was, even). It also seems as though he was held in Low-A to put up good numbers for trade reasons, a la Zach Ward.

HokieRed
09-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Promotion is controlled by the organization, not by the player. There's no reason to assume he couldn't have finished the year at Sarasota. Then everybody would say he's age appropriate. I don't think there's any reason to suggest he's headed for stardom and I'm not knocking Krivsky's deal, but 2 homers in 72 innings suggests the guy throws some kind of sinking stuff that will give him a good chance to move up the ladder. Acquiring Buck Coats seems like another one of these deals that Krivsky makes when he's bored and doesn't know what else to do.

Patrick Bateman
09-13-2007, 03:11 PM
You get what you pay for.

CTA513
09-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Joey Votto has looked horrible as a PH'er too. He sucks.

:thumbup:

AmarilloRed
09-14-2007, 01:41 AM
I think Coats and Ellison were acquired because we were short on outfielders. I would hope they would both be released in the off-season if they don't show anything in September.

Kc61
09-14-2007, 06:10 AM
I think Coates was acquired because the Reds need a lefty hitter for the bench. The starting 8 leans left handed. The bench leans right handed.

Next year, if a five man bench, it could be Keppinger, Hopper, Cantu, backup catcher. Reds need a lefty bat in the fifth bench spot. Coates could compete for that spot with, perhaps, Dickerson. If Hatteberg accepts a bench job, it could be him. Or someone new.

RedDevil
09-14-2007, 06:33 AM
I think Coats and Ellison were acquired because we were short on outfielders. I would hope they would both be released in the off-season if they don't show anything in September.

They could always bring up Dickerson or maybe even Bruce

AmarilloRed
09-14-2007, 12:44 PM
They could have brought up Dickerson, but they would have had to put Bruce on the 40-man roster. I was disappointed that we did not see Dickerson, but this was his first year at AAA. The Reds decided Bruce would not be able to get him many ABs, so they decided not to bring him up this year.

Orenda
09-14-2007, 01:23 PM
does anyone know what happened to Francisco Mateo? The reds picked him in the minor league rule 5 draft last year, but I haven't heard anything about him since. At first I thought this is who the reds swapped for Coats.

traderumor
09-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Mateo looks like a non-descript A-baller for a fifth OFer with a little bit of pop. Complaining about that is a sign of looking for something negative to say.

oneupper
09-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Coats doesn't look like much. This trade could be a "compensation" for the Cubs letting the REDS use their Rule V pick on Hamilton last year.

09-15-2007, 08:25 PM

The midwest league is a pitchers league. Only around five players hit above .300 in the whole league and less than 10 hitters had more than 15 homers in the whole league.

I think it is funny that posters say that Mateo looks like a good relieving prospect based on his stats, but ignore Coats stats.
If you look at Buck Coats minor league stats, he is a much better prospect than Mateo.

IMO, neither will amount to much, Coats is fast, which could help him earn a bench spot next year, maybe. Mateo looks like hundreds of other minor league pitchers. He might make it, but the odds are against him.

I will always trade a 23 year old low A reliever for a guy who already is in the majors, no matter who they are, or what the teams needs are.

HokieRed
09-15-2007, 09:07 PM
There are some really testy Wayne defenders on these boards. I don't give a squat one way or the other about the Mateo for Coats trade. Looks like a non-event to me. But how can anyone not be at least a little impressed by 2 homers in 72 innings, no matter what the league is? If you're trying to figure out what the Cubs might see in the kid, I'd suggest that home run figure is probably it.

09-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Point well taken, that is probably what they liked in him.
One more point about Coats. Last year, Brandon Harris looked horrible at the plate in his Sept. call up. Doubt Coats will be anywhere near as productive as Harris, but it just points out how silly it is to even mention a handfull of at bats at the end of the season.

AmarilloRed
09-15-2007, 11:34 PM
Point well taken, that is probably what they liked in him.
One more point about Coats. Last year, Brandon Harris looked horrible at the plate in his Sept. call up. Doubt Coats will be anywhere near as productive as Harris, but it just points out how silly it is to even mention a handfull of at bats at the end of the season.

So we should not take any notice of the handful of AB's Votto will get in September? Your point is well taken, but there are some circumstances where how a players performs in September will have a big effect next year. I am sure how Votto performs in September may have an effect on whether he is starting at first base next year, whether he starts at AAA next year, and whether the Reds pick up Hatteberg's option.

dougdirt
09-16-2007, 12:54 AM
AR, I think the Reds would be smart to pick up Hattebergs option regardless of what they think happens with Votto. As a starter or a bench player, Hatteberg is worth every penny of his option.

HokieRed
09-16-2007, 01:03 AM
It seems to me there's no downside to Hatteberg's option. He can be moved during the season. Remember, too, Votto may be in left field next year. I hope that's not the case, but we don't know anything yet about what may happen with Dunn. If we don't pick up the option on Dunn, or if the option's picked up and a trade can be found that he'll approve, we may have Hat/Cantu at first, Votto/Hopper in Left. Not bad options.

dougdirt
09-16-2007, 01:56 AM
Well minus the whole, no Dunn becuase they didn't pick up the option. That would be a monumental mistake. Even if the Reds dont like him, or want him on the team, you must still pick up the option, then move him in June if you can't convince him to let you move him sooner. Lets be honest though, how nice is it to have a back up outfielder with 250+ at bats this season who is hitting .340? Sure, Hopper never walks and has no power.... but for a guy off the bench, that is incredible.

AmarilloRed
09-16-2007, 02:50 PM
AR, I think the Reds would be smart to pick up Hattebergs option regardless of what they think happens with Votto. As a starter or a bench player, Hatteberg is worth every penny of his option.

I have suggested the Reds carry three first baseman in the past, but I have been told it is unlikely that Hatteberg will want to be a bench player. He will look to start somewhere else if he can't start in Cincinnati. Do you think he would be amenable to being a bench player and helping Votto and Cantu if he thinks he can start somewhere else? I would like Hatteberg to be on the roster next year and have the Reds pick up the option, but only with the understanding that he would be a bench player. Hatteberg is a good player to have on the roster; I simply think Votto is ready to be the starter in Cincinnati now.

dougdirt
09-16-2007, 02:55 PM
I think Votto should start over Hatteberg too, but if I am making the decision to pick up or not pick up Hattebergs option, I don't care if he doesn't want to be a bench player or not, I pick it up. If he throws a fit, trade him. At least you get something for him.

GoReds33
09-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I don't think we lost much. We have a few good relievers coming up now. 3.5 isn't that good for an ERA of a minor leaguer.

camisadelgolf
07-01-2008, 08:54 AM
UPDATE

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=24212

Marcos Mateo is 24 years old and in high-A ball. He hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't been anything to write home about either.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=2865

Buck Coats had a brief stint with the Blue Jays and did little in his very-limited opportunities. In AAA, he's been decent, but again, he hasn't been anything too special.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=22379

When he's played, he's been terrible, but Justin James has been hurt almost the whole year.

camisadelgolf
08-12-2010, 12:38 AM
UPDATE
A couple days ago, Marcos Mateo made his Major League debut for the Cubs in San Francisco. It was lackluster, to say the least. He gave up four hits in 1.1 innings and got credit for the loss.

Buck Coats continues to put up solid numbers in the minors.

Justin James played in indie ball last year, but he returned to the minors and has done very well in the Oakland organization.