PDA

View Full Version : Anybody notice - September 3rd - the last time Hatteberg...

BLEEDS
09-13-2007, 12:11 AM
...had an At-Bat?

Anybody else still think we're picking up his option? For any other reason than to trade him?

If Votto isn't the starting 1B-man next opening day, I'm a Monkey's Uncle.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

jnwohio
09-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Hatte's as good as gone and I think everyone involved, including him, realizes it and is OK with it as a business decision.

The Reds are not going to pick up his optiion or offer him arb because with the year he has had, he actually might make more form arb than if the option were picked up. The good news from his point of view is that because of the 2 good years he has had with the Reds, someone is going to pay him reasonably well to DH in the AL next year.

Assuming the Reds do not offer him arb, they won't even be able to get a sandwhich compensation pick for him. So I guess the lingering question for the Reds organization is why they did not move him for something at the nonwaiver trade deadline or to the team that put in a claim when he was on waivers.

AmarilloRed
09-13-2007, 12:41 AM
They might pick up that option with the understanding Hatteberg would mostly be on the bench and be there to tutor the young players. We carried 3 catchers this year; it would not be impossible we would carry three first baseman.

BLEEDS
09-13-2007, 12:48 AM
We aren't going to pay a 3rd First Basemen $1.85M to sit on the bench. Especially when we have a guy who can do his job Better - at least offensively - for 1/6th the price... and they both hit lefties like crap.

Why would Hatteberg agree to that when he could find a starting job elsewhere. I don't think he's ready to put out to pasture as a "tutor" quite yet, he's still got some value, just not with this Reds team.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

AmarilloRed
09-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Votto is not the starter yet, and the Reds really like Hatteberg. We will all just have to wait and see.

texasdave
09-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Why wouldn't the Reds pick up his option and then trade him to an American League team to be their DH? It seems non-sensical to just let him walk without getting anything in return.

bigredbunter
09-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Why wouldn't the Reds pick up his option and then trade him to an American League team to be their DH? It seems non-sensical to just let him walk without getting anything in return.

I agree with Texasdave here-It's not a mutual option right? All the Reds would have to do is pick it up, and you have immediate trade bait, if & when you decide that Votto or someone else can hold down 1B fulltime. If not, I'm fine w/ Hatte off the bench 1.8 mil. or no.

Z-Fly
09-13-2007, 12:52 PM
1.8 Mil for a very solid back up sounds pretty decent to me. I am pretty sure there is a trade out there somewhere for him.

jnwohio
09-13-2007, 05:23 PM

This is not a bad idea except if they couldn't move him (for value) at the deadline this year, will they be able to do so in the offseason? Other teams will certainly be aware that the Reds don't really have a spot for him and don't want to carry that kind of salary into the season which wonlt help any.

HokieRed
09-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Don't forget Votto may be in left field. I hope not but that's entirely possible.