PDA

View Full Version : Phillies Triple Play?

RBA
09-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Did everyone see the triple play highlights from the Phillies game last night?

Looks like the throw pulled Utley off the bag at 2nd but the ump called it an out. Normally the players get the in the neighborhood force at second, but Utley wasn't even in the zip code on that force out. IMO.

oneupper
09-13-2007, 08:58 AM
The baseball gods were in an angry mood and Phillies got shellacked 12-0.
(Triple play was in the first inning).

Highlifeman21
09-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Did everyone see the triple play highlights from the Phillies game last night?

Looks like the throw pulled Utley off the bag at 2nd but the ump called it an out. Normally the players get the in the neighborhood force at second, but Utley wasn't even in the zip code on that force out. IMO.

The triple play happened as a result of the 3B (Helms, IIRC) catching the liner, throwing to Utley who tagged the runner going to 2B from 1B (after he was pulled off the bag), and then Utley threw back to the 3B who then tagged out the runner that was between 2B and 3B.

The only force out was the initial out, the caught liner. The 2nd and 3rd outs were a result of tags.

RBA
09-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Okay, It must be the way that ESPN described the action. I didn't see the throw back to the 3rd Baseman. They cut the clip after the tag of the runner coming from 1st.

RedsManRick
09-13-2007, 11:27 AM
The way they showed it on ESPN, it looked like the caught liner was out #1, the force out of the runner from 2B at 2nd was out #2, and then the tag of the runner from 1B was out #3.

Blimpie
09-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Is it me, or is it always the Phillies who are involved in triple plays?

Not just this year, but IIRC one of their infielders a few years ago pulled off an unassisted triple play...

redsmetz
09-13-2007, 05:33 PM
The triple play happened as a result of the 3B (Helms, IIRC) catching the liner, throwing to Utley who tagged the runner going to 2B from 1B (after he was pulled off the bag), and then Utley threw back to the 3B who then tagged out the runner that was between 2B and 3B.

The only force out was the initial out, the caught liner. The 2nd and 3rd outs were a result of tags.

I think you've described it correctly. Of course, all I can think of is coaching Little League and remembering this was the kind of play where some kid (or kids) starts crying because they don't understand it :)

Hap
09-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Is it me, or is it always the Phillies who are involved in triple plays?

Not just this year, but IIRC one of their infielders a few years ago pulled off an unassisted triple play...

Mickey Morandini (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Morandini) on 9/20/92 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1992/B09200PIT1992.htm).