PDA

View Full Version : Terry Ryan out as Minnesota GM

edabbs44
09-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Wow...

MINNEAPOLIS -- Terry Ryan's tenure as general manager of the Minnesota Twins is coming to an end.

The 52-year-old Ryan will step down after 12 seasons. The Minneapolis Star Tribune, citing three unnamed sources with the team, first reported the story on its Web site. The Twins have called a news conference for Thursday afternoon to announce a "major" reorganization of their baseball operations.

Team spokesman Mike Herman wouldn't discuss details when reached by The Associated Press, which is also reporting Ryan's ouster.

Longtime assistant GM Bill Smith will succeed Ryan, the Star Tribune reported. Smith has been club vice president/assistant GM for the last 13 of his 22 seasons with the organization.

The Twins won the AL Central title last season -- their fourth division crown in the last six years -- but they are currently 72-74 and out of the playoff chase.

Ryan has long been highly regarded throughout baseball for his work in crafting a contender with a limited payroll. The Twins have received several awards for Organization of the Year this decade, but Ryan began to take some heat this year for the signings of some unproductive veterans and failures to lock up some of the team's stars to long-term contracts.

Assistant general manager Wayne Krivsky, who was long lauded for his behind-the-scenes work as Ryan's right-hand man, left before last season to take over as Cincinnati's general manager.

Krivsky was never replaced, though director of baseball operations Rob Antony added "contracts" to his title earlier this year and became more involved with Smith in negotiating with players' agents.

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire signed an extension last fall that takes his contract through 2009. He was golfing Thursday morning, according to his wife, and didn't immediately return a call from AP.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3017356

fearofpopvol1
09-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Do you think BCast would want to try to go after Ryan (as bizzare as that would be)?

RFS62
09-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Holy cow.

Matt700wlw
09-13-2007, 12:58 PM
I bet Krivsky is on the phone with him right now

M2
09-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Krivsky to the Twins, Jocketty to the Reds?

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 01:08 PM
They need a new look. Ryan's too cautious.

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 01:08 PM

Krivsky's too cautious too. I'm think Minny's looking for a genuine postseason push.

RedsManRick
09-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Perhaps that partially explains that timing of yesterday's front office moves....

I wonder why Ryan decided to leave. He's not exactly of retiring age.

M2
09-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Krivsky's too cautious too. I'm think Minny's looking for a genuine postseason push.

I don't know. Carl Pohlad's mostly looking for other people's money. I'd think it's just as likely Ryan's the one who was arguing for a genuine postseason push in previous seasons and now he wants out before he has to deal off Johan Santana.

MartyFan
09-13-2007, 01:19 PM
Do you think BCast would want to try to go after Ryan (as bizzare as that would be)?

I'd love for the Reds to add him to Special K's team...who knows, maybe Special K knew something was going on when he let go the others from the FO so that Ryan can join the team in some capacity.

Ohhh...this would be good.

JaxRed
09-13-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm smelling "Special Assistant"

MartyFan
09-13-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm smelling "Special Assistant"

Your lips to Gods ears!:pray:

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't know. Carl Pohlad's mostly looking for other people's money. I'd think it's just as likely Ryan's the one who was arguing for a genuine postseason push in previous seasons and now he wants out before he has to deal off Johan Santana.

Ryan's not made postseason pushes when the budget for doing so was even more propitious than it is now. I doubt that's Pohlad.

I honestly think Ryan's a hoarder. And stubborn as hell. There is no reason he couldn't have afforded to send off an arm for some offensive punch this deadline. There was nothing at all standing in his way to make a push. I think he chose not to--looking instead to a future that might not come.

M2
09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Ryan's not made postseason pushes when the budget for doing so was even more propitious than it is now. I doubt that's Pohlad.

I honestly think Ryan's a hoarder. And stubborn as hell. There is no reason he couldn't have afforded to send off an arm for some offensive punch this deadline. There was nothing at all standing in his way to make a push. I think he chose not to--looking instead to a future that might not come.

Well, there is one reason why he might not have done that - tightwad owner who won't pay for any extras.

You might be right, but if there was pressure from above to carpe diem then I'd think Ryan would have been coaxed into dealing for more than Shannon Stewart over the years.

Meanwhile Carl Pohlad wants a new stadium on the taxpayer dime and it's entirely possible that the message he wants to send is "This is as close as we can get in the Metrodome."

Highlifeman21
09-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Would you want to be known as the GM who had to trade Johan Santana b/c your organization deemed him out of their price range?

Would you want to be known as the GM who let Johan Santana walk to FA with nothing in return?

I can't imagine Terry Ryan wants either of those two events on his resume.

RedsManRick
09-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Good pint Highlifeman21. Coming on the heels of the 3/45 which Hunter deemed embarrassing (fair or not), he's probably come to the conclusion that the Twins simply won't be able to keep pace with the worsening market and doesn't want to fight that battle anymore.

I definitely see him as a possibility in St. Louis or Houston.

edabbs44
09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
From rotoworld:

He is expected to stay within the organization as a senior adviser.

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 02:32 PM
I definitely see him as a possibility in St. Louis or Houston.

That'll mean they'll be decent again in, oh, *looks at his watch* 13 seasons?

Slow and steady loses. Chalk one up for the hare.

fearofpopvol1
09-13-2007, 03:03 PM

I disagree. Pohlad is a cheapskate yet he is quite possibly the richest owner in MLB. He just doesn't want to pony up. I think if Ryan had the freedom he wanted, he could've done more.

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 03:14 PM
I disagree. Pohlad is a cheapskate yet he is quite possibly the richest owner in MLB. He just doesn't want to pony up. I think if Ryan had the freedom he wanted, he could've done more.

I know Pohlad's cheap. But that's really not the point. Ryan had succeeded without big payrolls, and he more than had the ability in the past several years to palm off pitching for inexpensive, impact bats to make a serious plow through the playoffs. Instead, he sat on his hands. This is the reckoning for not breaking through, once again.

But Pohlad is foolish; he'll likely hire someone of Ryan's ilk and reticence.

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 03:26 PM
I'd much rather the Cards or Astros have a Poindexter like Ryan as opposed to a Genghis Khan like Jocketty.

fearofpopvol1
09-13-2007, 03:53 PM
I know Pohlad's cheap. But that's really not the point. Ryan had succeeded without big payrolls, and he more than had the ability in the past several years to palm off pitching for inexpensive, impact bats to make a serious plow through the playoffs. Instead, he sat on his hands. This is the reckoning for not breaking through, once again.

But Pohlad is foolish; he'll likely hire someone of Ryan's ilk and reticence.

It is relevant though because if the owner isn't willing to spend the money to get a big bat over to the lineup (regardless of what is in the farm and what the Twins are willing to trade), then what else can you do?

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 04:14 PM
It is relevant though because if the owner isn't willing to spend the money to get a big bat over to the lineup (regardless of what is in the farm and what the Twins are willing to trade), then what else can you do?

What I'm saying is that Ryan had the payroll plenty low enough AND had the requisite pitching prospects to get a bat that would not have cost much of anything in terms of cash. He had in surplus the most sought-after commodity in all of baseball and he didn't cash some of it in to bolster his offense.

Payroll was and is irrelevant to what ailed/ails the Twins.

cincinnati chili
09-13-2007, 05:35 PM
I get the impression that if he wanted to go anywhere, he could go. Assuming the new stadium doesn't hit a snafu, I think he'll want to stay in Minnesota without the daily grind of being a GM.

Unassisted
09-13-2007, 05:42 PM

It wouldn't surprise me.

He is expected to stay within the organization as a senior adviser.

Unless Ryan were old enough to qualify for Social Security or were an institution like Tommy Lasorda, it seems like his successor might oppose that. OTOH, a former underling like Krivsky might welcome it... and that might make Krivsky a more likely pick for the job.

KronoRed
09-13-2007, 05:54 PM
His replacement has already been named so unless Krivsky wants to take a demotion he's not going anywhere.

fearofpopvol1
09-13-2007, 06:16 PM
What I'm saying is that Ryan had the payroll plenty low enough AND had the requisite pitching prospects to get a bat that would not have cost much of anything in terms of cash. He had in surplus the most sought-after commodity in all of baseball and he didn't cash some of it in to bolster his offense.

Payroll was and is irrelevant to what ailed/ails the Twins.

How do you know what Ryan's spending limits were for each of the past few seasons? Was it published somewhere?

jojo
09-13-2007, 06:23 PM

Well, except that Baker, Garza, and Slowey have all spent time in the Twins rotation this summer. The Twins are likely to lose 40% of their rotation via free agency and trade this off season (Santana, Silva), another anchor of their rotation is on the 60-day DL and his '08 has to be considered a question mark (Liriano), and their 5th spot is essentially open too after the Twins finally came to their senses on the Ortiz/Ponson craziness.

So really one man's "greedy hoarding" is another man's "planning for a time in the very, very near future where he might have to replace 80% of his rotation the components of which represent commodities that are the most difficult and expensive to acquire via free agency or trade".

I'm thinking Ryan is more like the "Ant and the Grasshopper" than "The Dog and his Shadow" despite the efforts of some to use the Twins as a paradigm to support the notion that the Reds should attempt to win now irregardless of the long term consequences.

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 06:47 PM
How do you know what Ryan's spending limits were for each of the past few seasons? Was it published somewhere?

I'm saying he could easily have made trades for the needed offense that would NOT have increased payroll.

He pocketed pitching for a rainy day, but honestly, you play seasons, not decades, in baseball.

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Well, except that Baker, Garza, and Slowey have all spent time in the Twins rotation this summer. The Twins are likely to lose 40% of their rotation via free agency and trade this off season (Santana, Silva), another anchor of their rotation is on the 60-day DL and his '08 has to be considered a question mark (Liriano), and their 5th spot is essentially open too after the Twins finally came to their senses on the Ortiz/Ponson craziness.

So really one man's "greedy hoarding" is another man's "planning for a time in the very, very near future where he might have to replace 80% of his rotation the components of which represent commodities that are the most difficult and expensive to acquire via free agency or trade".

I'm thinking Ryan is more like the "Ant and the Grasshopper" than "The Dog and his Shadow" despite the efforts of some to use the Twins as a paradigm to support the notion that the Reds should attempt to win now irregardless of the long term consequences.

If things were so dire, don't you think he should have made a push to contend while the time was right, while Santana and Nathan were still in the fold?

He didn't. He lost his chance. Now he's riding in the back seat.

It's a cruel business, it pushes greatness to the front of the line and it punishes trepidation.

fearofpopvol1
09-13-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm saying he could easily have made trades for the needed offense that would NOT have increased payroll.

He pocketed pitching for a rainy day, but honestly, you play seasons, not decades, in baseball.

How do you know that he didn't try to make trades that didn't pan out? I know for a fact he attempted to trade Garza to the Nats for Soriano during his contract year and Bowden declined the trade.

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 06:53 PM
How do you know that he didn't try to make trades that didn't pan out? I know for a fact he attempted to trade Garza to the Nats for Soriano during his contract year and Bowden declined the trade.

If you can't pick up offense for young high-ceiling pitching, you don't deserve to be a GM.

jojo
09-13-2007, 07:00 PM
If things were so dire, don't you think he should have made a push to contend while the time was right, while Santana and Nathan were still in the fold?

He didn't. He lost his chance. Now he's riding in the back seat.

It's a cruel business, it pushes greatness to the front of the line and it punishes trepidation.

It's called strategic planning. Its what good teams do. It is why some teams contend annually. It's also weird that one year near .500 makes some forget 6 years of contention. Contention amid constraints few GMs had to deal with. Go figure.

MWM
09-13-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm not sure I buy the cheap owner line. I'm not doubting that he's cheap, but we heard similar things when Bowden was around, that ownership wasn't willing to pony up the cash for a playoff chase. My feelings are that if your given a set budget ahead of time, and you spend some of that on Sidney Ponson, Ramon Ortiz, Luis Castillo ,and Rondell White, then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 09:07 PM
It's called strategic planning. Its what good teams do. It is why some teams contend annually. It's also weird that one year near .500 makes some forget 6 years of contention. Contention amid constraints few GMs had to deal with. Go figure.

Ryan's not been able to morph like Beane's been able to. The guy's too rigid.

Beane will be on top next season and the Twins will be saying, "Wha' happen?"

Sure, the Twins have "contended" for six seasons in an era when that division was pathetic for half those seasons, and their postseason showings have had all the earmarks of teams not capable of winning it all (one year it's a weak offense, the next it's being short a starter or two, etc).

There's no reason whatsoever that the Twins should not have gone to the World Series in Ryan's run, and really they should have made the playoffs EACH of the last six seasons. Ryan's Twins have been *just* bad enough.

jojo
09-13-2007, 09:15 PM

Sure, the Twins have "contended" for six seasons in an era when that division was pathetic for half those seasons, and their postseason showings have had all the earmarks of teams not capable of winning it all (one year it's a weak offense, the next it's being short a starter or two, etc).

There's no reason whatsoever that the Twins should not have gone to the World Series in Ryan's run, and really they should have made the playoffs EACH of the last six seasons. Ryan's Twins have been *just* bad enough.

And yet a super majority of major league teams would gladly trade their last seven years for the Twin's success..... It's an interesting yardstick. The situations in Oakland and Minnesota are not dissimilar yet Beane's last seven years suggests he's talented but Ryan's last seven indicate he's an underachiever. Personally I think that logic hints at a personal bias.

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 09:17 PM
And yet a super majority of major league teams would gladly trade their last seven years for the Twin's success..... It's an interesting yardstick. The situations in Oakland and Minnesota are not dissimilar yet Beane's last seven years suggests he's talented but Ryan's last seven indicate he's an underachiever. Personally I think that logic hints at a personal bias.

Nah. I think it indicates that Beane's curiosity trumps Ryan's rigidness, W-L records set aside for a moment (though going on records alone, the A's have been the better team). But that's just my opinion.

fearofpopvol1
09-13-2007, 09:23 PM

I'm not saying that Beane isn't smart or baseball minded, but how many championships has Beane won with the A's? I'm not sure that Beane deserves "more" praise than Ryan.

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm not saying that Beane isn't smart or baseball minded, but how many championships has Beane won with the A's? I'm not sure that Beane deserves "more" praise than Ryan.

Well Beane's won an assload more games in a much tougher division over the span in question.

That's not the end-all be-all, but it's pretty close.

kheidg-
09-13-2007, 09:47 PM
My feelings are that if your given a set budget ahead of time, and you spend some of that on Sidney Ponson, Ramon Ortiz, Luis Castillo ,and Rondell White, then you have no one to blame but yourself.

What is wrong with Luis Castillo?

MWM
09-13-2007, 10:26 PM

His $6MM salary.

fearofpopvol1
09-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Well Beane's won an assload more games in a much tougher division over the span in question.

Winning more games doesn't really equate to much in the end. Especially when you lose every year that you make the playoffs (sans the series they swept the Twins).

REDREAD
09-13-2007, 10:31 PM

Well, if you have prospects to trade, you can get the other team to eat salary.. Like the Reds did with Juan Guzman..

The Twins wasted about 5 or 6 million on Ortiz and Podson.. Just like the Reds, they had at least some wiggle room to pick up salary in a smart trade, instead of wasting it on veteran FA that were poor risks.

Caveat Emperor
09-13-2007, 10:44 PM

If it punishes trepidation, it absolutely murders those with foolish bravado.

This is especially true for franchises that don't have the financial or personnel resources to shake off a bad trade or a foolhardy offseason acquisition.

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 10:51 PM
If it punishes trepidation, it absolutely murders those with foolish bravado.

This is especially true for franchises that don't have the financial or personnel resources to shake off a bad trade or a foolhardy offseason acquisition.

I'd rather have Beane, his bravado, clunkers and all (Hudson trade, Harang trade, Kendall trade) than Dan O'Brien, Wayne, or Terry Ryan.

Beane loses, but keeps on chooglin'.

Caveat Emperor
09-13-2007, 10:59 PM
I'd rather have Beane, his bravado, clunkers and all (Hudson trade, Harang trade, Kendall trade) than Dan O'Brien, Wayne, or Terry Ryan.

However, you can't deny that the majority of the people who follow baseball would say that Beane falls into the same category as Terry Ryan: always right "there" but unwilling to make the big move to push his teams over the edge to win a championship.

We're talking about a team that won 100 games in back-to-back years and made 1st round exit. Then, for good measure, won 90+ in the next two seasons and, again, made a 1st round exit in one year and missed the playoffs entirely in another. During this entire time, the team held onto most (if not all) top prospects instead of dealing for players that might've put them over the edge.

I just don't see a huge difference between Beane and Ryan in that regard. I think Beane is far and away the better GM, but for other reasons.

jojo
09-13-2007, 11:00 PM

I don't understand this notion that Beane lost on the Harang trade. He traded from surplus to get a bat that basically was a large reason they made the playoffs that year. Isn't that exactly what you've been advocating?

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 11:04 PM
However, you can't deny that the majority of the people who follow baseball would say that Beane falls into the same category as Terry Ryan: always right "there" but unwilling to make the big move to push his teams over the edge to win a championship.

We're talking about a team that won 100 games in back-to-back years and made 1st round exits. Then, for good measure, won 90+ in the next two seasons and, again, made 1st round exits. This entire time, holding onto most (if not all) top prospects instead of dealing for players that might've put them over the edge.

I just don't see a huge difference between Beane and Ryan in that regard. I think Beane is far and away the better GM, but for other reasons.

Beane doesn't make the big splash deadline moves, but he constantly tinkers both offseason and in-season. He's always revising his thinking, reinventing, testing. So yeah, Beane does trade his players, even his good young ones, just not always at the headline-grabbing deadline.

Ryan practically had to have his arm broken to advance his kids (or trade them). He was constantly caught between crapping and getting off the pot.

Falls City Beer
09-13-2007, 11:05 PM
I don't understand this notion that Beane lost on the Harang trade. He traded from surplus to get a bat that basically was a large reason they made the playoffs that year. Isn't that exactly what you've been advocating?

Long term it's a clunker. But the bottom line is, he wasn't afraid to make the deal.

Terry Ryan would never have made that deal--for good or ill. Too timid.

Highlifeman21
09-14-2007, 07:55 AM

For those of you looking for a definition of "assload", that would be 55 more wins over the period of 2000 through 2006.

If you take out Minnesota's 69 win season of 2000, and Oakland's 91 win season of the same year, then you're looking at only a difference of 33 wins in a 6 year time period.

Very substantial, IMO.

Roy Tucker
09-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Nice article on Ryan...

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_6888352?nclick_check=1

Ryan's finest hour showed his loyalty
TOM POWERS
Article Last Updated: 09/14/2007 12:03:01 AM CDT

Terry Ryan has won an office full of awards for building a winning team on a tight budget. Yet his shining moment had nothing to do with trades, player development or free-agent signings.

Twins fans should be forever grateful to Ryan for standing tall and displaying loyalty beyond all reason during the attempted contraction of the franchise after the 2001 season.

With the Twins on the brink of contraction, and with the Toronto Blue Jays on the phone to offer him their general manager's job, Ryan put on his life jacket, took a deep breath and prepared to go down with his ship.

"The Toronto Blue Jays came calling," Twins President Dave St. Peter recalled. "He had another job offer in the middle of all that. We granted permission for them to talk to him."

In fact, all Twins personnel, from the sales department to the telephone operators, were given permission to seek employment elsewhere.

"We were very fragile at that time," St. Peter said. "There was a question as to whether the franchise was going to be in existence. Terry's refusal to interview, and the statements he made about being a Twin and standing by the organization, played a huge role in granting us some stability."

St. Peter still sees that as the organization's turning point.

"He's a man of great integrity," he said. "There's nobody more loyal to this organization than Terry Ryan,"

Rob Antony, then director of baseball operations and now assistant general manager, recalled having lunch with Ryan the day after the Blue Jays called.

"He said, 'We've got people here who don't know what's happening with their jobs, and I'm going to jump off the boat and grab a life raft? I can't do that,' ''Antony recounted.

"That's who he is. And that, to me, was the greatest example of his leadership."

To understand the depths of that loyalty, you have to remember that Twins owner Carl Pohlad wasn't fighting the contraction. Instead, he was all for it. The whole dirty business was orchestrated from behind the scenes.

Yet Ryan stayed in his office, hired Ron Gardenhire as manager and went about putting together a baseball team. When Ryan announced Thursday that he was stepping down, he noted that coming back from the brink of contraction to qualify for the 2002 playoffs remained his greatest satisfaction.

"That was a pretty nice day," Ryan said in typical understated fashion. "All the contraction business that we held firm with, not taking any shots at anybody, but nobody jumped ship here. It could have been chaotic if we let that thing get out of hand.

"I'm proud of the fact that if I was going to be general manager, I wasn't going anywhere under those circumstances."

At the time, it was a heroic act. A court order eventually saved the Twins from extinction. They have been contenders ever since.

Ryan developed into a top-notch general manager, although he always seemed miscast behind a desk. Given his druthers, he rather would be standing behind a chain-link fence in some little town and taking notes on the arm speed of a minor league pitcher. His first love always has been evaluating talent.

Now he'll get back to that in his new role with the Twins. And it probably was time, too. He admits he doesn't like the changes that have come over him recently.

"The defeats are getting a little tougher to take, and the wins aren't as much fun," he said.

And he was crabby. It used to be fun to share a laugh with Terry. But he has been one big grimace for a while. It wasn't the pressure, but rather the grind that seemed to be getting to him. All the administrative work was getting in the way of, well, baseball.

"I don't have it in me anymore, so I'm going to step aside and let Bill (Smith) take this thing," Ryan said.

Considering the draconian payroll cuts of the 1990s, the attempted contraction of 2002 and the subsequent rebirth of the franchise, it's doubtful any other general manager has been through as much. Now there is a new ballpark on the horizon, talent on the roster and a secure future.

If you're looking for Terry, he'll be holding his clipboard and sitting in the bleachers. Somewhere.

Tom Powers can be reached at tpowers@pioneerpress.com.

flyer85
09-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Ryan wrote his own ticket out of town by wasting so many games on the likes of Ortiz, Ponson, Castro, White, Batista, etc over the last two years. He seemed to learn nothing from the first half of 2006.

kheidg-
09-14-2007, 07:15 PM

Well, that was probably the reason that he was traded. I think it was a backloaded contract he signed with the Marlins. He was very cheap the last few years. Plus I don't think Ryan signed him to that contract.

That said, I can think of a lot worse contracts than paying Castillo 6M.

KronoRed
09-15-2007, 12:45 AM
Castillo gets on base and plays decent D in the middle infield, I'll take it for 6 mill, if I had the cash to spend :D