PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton most likely will be out the rest of the year

AmarilloRed
09-13-2007, 02:29 PM
CINCINNATI -- Reds rookie outfielder Josh Hamilton underwent an MRI exam for his sore hamstring on Thursday morning, but you didn't need to hear the results.

One look at Hamilton walking into the clubhouse on crutches was enough to know he wouldn't be playing. The MRI confirmed that he had a strained right hamstring.

The 26-year-old will not make the 10-day road trip that begins Friday, and will remain in Cincinnati to do his rehabilitation. With just 16 games to go, all indications are that this is a season-ending injury.

"It'd be hard for me to guess; I wouldn't think so," interim manager Pete Mackanin responded when asked if Hamilton might return to the lineup after the trip. "We'll just wait and see how he responds. I'm just happy it's not a serious injury."

During Wednesday's 5-1 win, Hamilton hobbled back to the dugout after running to first base on a fifth-inning groundout to third base. Norris Hopper took over in center field in the top of the sixth and will likely start regularly with Hamilton out.

Hamilton, who is batting .292 with 19 home runs and 47 RBIs in 90 games this season, had been bothered by a sore hamstring in recent days. He was out of the lineup over the weekend as a precaution.

I copied this from Reds notes at Reds.com. I hope it was just a bad year of injuries for him, and that he will not have injury problems as he goes forward

ChatterRed
09-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Good time to bring up................

................JAY BRUCE

gedred69
09-16-2007, 01:14 AM
CINCINNATI -- Reds rookie outfielder Josh Hamilton underwent an MRI exam for his sore hamstring on Thursday morning, but you didn't need to hear the results.

One look at Hamilton walking into the clubhouse on crutches was enough to know he wouldn't be playing. The MRI confirmed that he had a strained right hamstring.

The 26-year-old will not make the 10-day road trip that begins Friday, and will remain in Cincinnati to do his rehabilitation. With just 16 games to go, all indications are that this is a season-ending injury.

"It'd be hard for me to guess; I wouldn't think so," interim manager Pete Mackanin responded when asked if Hamilton might return to the lineup after the trip. "We'll just wait and see how he responds. I'm just happy it's not a serious injury."

During Wednesday's 5-1 win, Hamilton hobbled back to the dugout after running to first base on a fifth-inning groundout to third base. Norris Hopper took over in center field in the top of the sixth and will likely start regularly with Hamilton out.

Hamilton, who is batting .292 with 19 home runs and 47 RBIs in 90 games this season, had been bothered by a sore hamstring in recent days. He was out of the lineup over the weekend as a precaution.

I copied this from Reds notes at Reds.com. I hope it was just a bad year of injuries for him, and that he will not have injury problems as he goes forward

gedred69
09-16-2007, 01:22 AM
We must remember, injuries and subsequent inactivity is how he got messed up with tatoos and the evil crack cocaine in the first place. He is not unlike Eric Davis, a fine sports car, which must be in fine tune to perform at the level we all hope for. I am astounded at how many people have lost sight of these factors. He is injury prone. But, so was Larry Walker. I'll endure this if he can be another Larry Walker.

Homer Bailey
09-16-2007, 04:08 AM
Its official now boys.... I'm packing it in for the season.... this is the guy that kept me going and I can't do it if he's not out there.... STILL WEARING TWO 33 bracelets though! Love ya josh now get healthy for next year

AmarilloRed
09-16-2007, 11:43 PM
Sorry to hear that Homer, especially as your namesake is starting on Thursday. I would have hoped that might bring you back.;)

GoReds33
09-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Its official now boys.... I'm packing it in for the season.... this is the guy that kept me going and I can't do it if he's not out there.... STILL WEARING TWO 33 bracelets though! Love ya josh now get healthy for next yearI second the notion to pack it in. We need the guy from Major League the movie. "Its over, let's get the bulldozers in here, so we can turn this place into a parking lot." It was something like that.:cool:

ChatterRed
09-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Why not make a call to Jay Bruce and give him 2 weeks to see what the major leagues are like?

This is just stupid.

AmarilloRed
09-17-2007, 01:04 PM
There is no point in making a move just to make a move. If Bruce will be starting in the outfield fine: but I imagine will will see a starting outfield of Griffey, Dunn, and Hamilton(Hopper if Hamilton continues to have injury problems) for at least 1 more year.

GoReds33
09-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Why not make a call to Jay Bruce and give him 2 weeks to see what the major leagues are like?

This is just stupid.Usually only people that are called up at the beginning of September are the ones that come up.:)

RedDevil
09-17-2007, 08:01 PM
There is no point in making a move just to make a move. If Bruce will be starting in the outfield fine: but I imagine will will see a starting outfield of Griffey, Dunn, and Hamilton(Hopper if Hamilton continues to have injury problems) for at least 1 more year.

No clue what you're talking about. No one is saying bring Bruce up to sit the bench. Right now he would or should be starting in centerfield since Hamilton is out.

SMcGavin
09-17-2007, 08:39 PM
This is further evidence that even if Dunn, Hamilton, and Griffey are all here next year, a starting slot will open up for Jay Bruce at some point. It seems very unlikely that Hamilton and Griffey both make it through the season healthy.

AmarilloRed
09-18-2007, 01:02 AM
No clue what you're talking about. No one is saying bring Bruce up to sit the bench. Right now he would or should be starting in centerfield since Hamilton is out.

He would not be starting next year. We brought Votto up because there is a strong likelihood he will be starting at first base next year. The Reds will not bring up Bruce unless there is a strong possibility he will be starting in the outfield. I expect it will not hurt Bruce to get a further year of seasoning at AAA, and Bruce can concentrate on making sure he is ready when he does come up. In any case, the decision has been made that he will be in Cincinnati this year, and I would not expect to see him until at least the trade deadline next year. It may not be until then that there would be a possibility that the Reds might seek to trade Ken Griffey Jr, and call Bruce up if a trade is made.

RedDevil
09-18-2007, 06:12 AM
He would not be starting next year.

That's not what everyone's saying. Everyone says bring him up for the remainder of this year and get him some major league at-bats for two weeks.

AmarilloRed
09-18-2007, 12:55 PM
In any case, the decision has been made. Wayne has decided not to bring up Bruce this year. I feel that there is no problem, as he will get his major league ABs in due course.

INRedsFan
09-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Anybody heard an update on Hamilton? Will he be in the dugout when the Reds return home?