PDA

View Full Version : Led Zep To Reunite For Charity Concert

GAC
09-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Led Zeppelin reunion

Find out where, when PLUS how to get tickets for the band's reformation

http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/31079

Led Zeppelin will reform for a one-off show at the O2 Arena in London, it was confirmed today (September 12).

The band will reunite for the show in November 26, topping a bill that also includes Pete Townshend, Foreigner and Paolo Nutini with Bill Wyman And The Rhythm Kings backing those three acts as well as playing their own set.

The show is being held to raise money for the Ahmet Ertegun Education Fund, which pays for university scholarships in the UK, US and Turkey.

The fund was created in honour of Atlantic Records founder Ahmet Ertegun who died last year. He worked helped further the career of a host of acts, including Led Zeppelin.

"During the Zeppelin years, Ahmet Ertegun was a major foundation of solidarity and accord. For us he was Atlantic Records and remained a close friend and conspirator," explained Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant of the band's decision to reform. "His performance stands alone as our tribute to the work and the life of our long-standing friend."

Tickets for the show cost 125 each, and they are limited to two per person, and will be distributed by ballot only.

Those wishing to go must register on Ahmettribute.com (http://www.ahmettribute.com/) to be in the ballot. Registration closes on Monday (September 17), while any tickets that appear on online auction sites afterwards will be immediately cancelled.

Successful applicants will find out after October 1.

A big aftershow for the gig is set to take place on the night at the O2's Indigo venue.

Led Zeppelin will feature original members Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones, while Jason Bonham, the son of their late drummer John Bonham, will play with the band.

The band will also release a new best of compilation 'Mothership' on November 12.

Unassisted
09-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Foreigner was the band at my wife's employer's holiday party last year. Jason Bonham was the drummer and founder Mick Jones was the only original member of Foreigner still in that version of the band.

I'll bet there will be many DVDs sold of this tribute show.

KronoRed
09-15-2007, 01:20 PM
So they found John Paul Jones' phone number? :D

GAC
09-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Foreigner was the band at my wife's employer's holiday party last year. Jason Bonham was the drummer and founder Mick Jones was the only original member of Foreigner still in that version of the band.

I'll bet there will be many DVDs sold of this tribute show.

I hope Zep sounds better than they did when they regrouped to play at their Rock n Roll HOF induction. They were terrible.

Unassisted
09-15-2007, 06:22 PM
I hope Zep sounds better than they did when they regrouped to play at their Rock n Roll HOF induction. They were terrible.

I didn't recall that they'd reunited since Live Aid. That was not their finest hour, either.

GAC
09-15-2007, 06:52 PM
I didn't recall that they'd reunited since Live Aid. That was not their finest hour, either.

They played Stairway to Heaven and a couple other songs at their induction. I have the version of Stairway on tape. Why I have no idea. It is terrible.

lo ryder
09-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Zeppelin died along with Bonzo.

Matt700wlw
09-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Can Robert Plant even sing in that high register anymore?

pedro
09-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Can Robert Plant even sing in that high register anymore?

IIRC, according to an interview I heard with him on NPR last week, no.

Matt700wlw
09-15-2007, 08:45 PM
IIRC, according to an interview I heard with him on NPR last week, no.

Then the "sound" won't be there...

I'm sure Jimmy can still play, though. :)

Mutaman
09-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Maybe they can rip off a few old songs and claim they've written them, just for old times sake.

Yachtzee
09-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Then the "sound" won't be there...

I'm sure Jimmy can still play, though. :)

Maybe they can have Tortelvis from Dread Zeppelin step in for him.

pedro
09-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Maybe they can have a little class and wear shirts. ;)