PDA

View Full Version : Phillips appologizes

Matt700wlw
09-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Phillips apologizes

Brandon Phillips apologized to Pete Mackanin last night after Phillips broke slowly out of the box on a ball that he thought was going out. The ball ended up hitting off the wall, and Phillips got thrown out at second.

"It cost us a run," he said. "That pissed me off. If it cost us the game, it would have really pissed me off. I apologized. That's not me. I've been hustling all year."

Mackanin would have said something to Phillips, but Phillips approached him.

"He came up to me," Mackanin said. "We spoke. We'll talk some more. It doesn't go unnoticed."

Had the ball gone out, it would have put Phillips in the 30-30 club.

"I wish it went out," he said. "I want to get it over with. I've been trying. I've got to stop trying and let it come."

Phillips thinks tonight could be the night for 30-30.

"Hopefully," he said. "I feel it."

-Fay

How can you not love the guy?!? :)

RedsManRick
09-15-2007, 05:48 PM
He definitely seems to be getting cocky and humble in better proportion than it was rumored he had.

MartyFan
09-15-2007, 05:53 PM
I personally love BP...he is easily my favorite player on this team.

RedLegSuperStar
09-15-2007, 06:15 PM
I personally love BP...he is easily my favorite player on this team.

I agree.. but I don't like him trying to hit homeruns. I want him to make contact, get on base, and move runners period.

37red
09-15-2007, 08:09 PM
I've felt the same all along, he's ready to put himself in the spotlight, and he deserves it. But if he would kick it out all the time and play like it's do or die, he'd be an awesome player. I think he thinks that he's already made the top of the list. The top players never take anything for granted, fielding, hitting or running. He's got the tools, he just needs to use them every play.

MartyFan
09-15-2007, 09:02 PM
I've felt the same all along, he's ready to put himself in the spotlight, and he deserves it. But if he would kick it out all the time and play like it's do or die, he'd be an awesome player. I think he thinks that he's already made the top of the list. The top players never take anything for granted, fielding, hitting or running. He's got the tools, he just needs to use them every play.

I think the mindset of this organization has been such that if a player makes it to the MLB they feel like they have "MADE IT"...there has not been any real design to go after dominating at the MLB level...so I think the last year and half is the start of a turn around in the mindset of the organization from the top to the bottom.

Others will argue that this FO still isn't "serious" or perhaps "capable" of putting a winning team and organization together but I think they are wrong. I think Special K and Mr C can and will build a winner.

My hope is that Mr. C will stick with Special K for at least the term of his contract and allow him to continue to improve this team after shedding the stupid contracts he inherited from DanO and Pants...the one from Pants is Junior...While I love Junior...it was stupid for the Reds to bring him in.

All that to say is I like that BP went to Mack because at least that says to me the player now know that they are expected to hustle...mock it if you will, it is more than we've had over the past several years.

jojo
09-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Phillips is a plus for the Reds so really we fans should have little to complain about.

Phillips kind of reminds me of Gary Carter personality-wise in the way.... If Carter hit a game winning double, his teammates would be mobbing the guy who scored while Carter would be running to the nearest camera for a celebration cameo. Then again, Carter never would have had to apologize for a lack of effort. I perceive a little too much *me* in Phillips' game for him to become a favorite of mine. That said, John Olerud is one of my all time favorites so some might say I'm a little boring.

CrackerJack
09-15-2007, 10:00 PM
But if he would kick it out all the time and play like it's do or die, he'd be an awesome player.

You really lost me here 37.

Guy does that every night from what I can tell, his #s reflect that this year I believe.

redsmetz
09-15-2007, 10:27 PM
I think the mindset of this organization has been such that if a player makes it to the MLB they feel like they have "MADE IT"...there has not been any real design to go after dominating at the MLB level...so I think the last year and half is the start of a turn around in the mindset of the organization from the top to the bottom.

Others will argue that this FO still isn't "serious" or perhaps "capable" of putting a winning team and organization together but I think they are wrong. I think Special K and Mr C can and will build a winner.

My hope is that Mr. C will stick with Special K for at least the term of his contract and allow him to continue to improve this team after shedding the stupid contracts he inherited from DanO and Pants...the one from Pants is Junior...While I love Junior...it was stupid for the Reds to bring him in.

All that to say is I like that BP went to Mack because at least that says to me the player now know that they are expected to hustle...mock it if you will, it is more than we've had over the past several years.

The Griffey trade really has only been bad by virtue of the repeated injuries to Junior, plus ownership tightened up after acquiring him (primarily, I think, because they costed his full salary during the contract, rather than over the long haul - someone correct me if I'm wrong about that fact), rather than seriously build a team along with him. When healthy he has performed very well. And we haven't really been saddled with the contract. I think his option is toast, so we've really just have him next year and then that's it (IMO).

jojo
09-15-2007, 10:32 PM
The Griffey trade really has only been bad by virtue of the repeated injuries to Junior, plus ownership tightened up after acquiring him (primarily, I think, because they costed his full salary during the contract, rather than over the long haul - someone correct me if I'm wrong about that fact), rather than seriously build a team along with him. When healthy he has performed very well. And we haven't really been saddled with the contract. I think his option is toast, so we've really just have him next year and then that's it (IMO).

Jr's HR total should have an asterisk next to it when he's inducted into the HOF.

GAC
09-16-2007, 05:22 AM
After the incident the camera showed him in the dugout and one could easily tell he wasn't happy with himself and knew he screwed up. Lesson learned.

37red
09-16-2007, 08:45 AM
CrackerJack, I agree with 90% of what you say, and my intention wasn't to lay him to rest. But it sounded like it didn't it. No, he puts out and does a good job, I think he's a strong, thorough, all around player. Maybe it's just that I expect too much from him, maybe too much. When I watch him play I get the feeling that he's not aggressive enough or maybe the term is intense enough on the bases. It seems, to me, that he is so close to being picked off of first and barely gives it a thought. That he's a little reckless when getting under pop ups and not calling other players off when he enters their territory. What ever I'm trying to say please let me get out of this one, I'm just not able to get my point across and I'm floundering. Can I please apologize and go sit in the dug out, please!

MartyFan
09-16-2007, 01:22 PM

The trade for Junior was bad BECAUSE the team never had designs to actually put the talent around him...it has nothing to do with his injuries...it has everything to do with the previous ownership which knew about window dressing and nothing about substance...that said, Junior is a great player and I am glad to have been able to watch him but I am sorry for him and for the fans that the previous ownership did such a disservice to each.