JaxRed
09-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Little birdie told me...

OnBaseMachine
09-16-2007, 12:18 PM
You gonna leave us hangin' like that?

JaxRed
09-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Word is Homer starts Thursday. Simulated start went well. Don't know more.

OnBaseMachine
09-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Word is Homer starts Thursday. Simulated start went well. Don't know more.

Oh. My bad. I thought you hinting that something happened with Bailey this past Thursday.

I was sort of hoping they would shut him down for the rest of the year.

oneupper
09-16-2007, 12:28 PM
That would be in SF vs the Giants.

Interesting choice. Show the world he's not "injured" perhaps.

Cyclone792
09-16-2007, 12:32 PM
If Bonds starts then we know Bailey will have at least four walks in his start then. Or maybe three walks a bomb given up.

jojo
09-16-2007, 12:32 PM
I doubt the Reds FO gives a lick what the rest of the world thinks about Homer. It's pretty clear that they need him in the rotation next year. I think 2-3 starts to end the year are supposed to be a benchmark for him (i.e. this is where we are and this is where we want to be so this is what we need to work on during the off season/spring).

Matt700wlw
09-16-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm ok with it....what do you have to lose...a ball game?

Of course, if he throws that 12-6 curve that I have seen him throw...and it is filthy.....and it's in control....

Oh my.

Team Clark
09-16-2007, 12:38 PM
The only thing to take away from these remaining starts is his delivery. Fastball delivery was rushed and he was not finishing in his last two big league starts. His breaking ball was only consistent in his start vs. the A's. Let's see if he has made any strides. If he has then ST '08 could be another leap for him.

Matt700wlw
09-16-2007, 12:38 PM
By the way, this is correct...Bailey is coming back

I don't know who you are Jax, or what you do...but nice job.

:thumbup:

RedsManRick
09-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Apparently nobody told Jax about the code of silence.

mth123
09-16-2007, 12:54 PM
This is good IMO. Baily needs innings. 15 to 20 between now and the end of the season should help next year regardless of the results.

KronoRed
09-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Eh, IMO he should be shut down and get ready for next year.

Falls City Beer
09-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Should be interesting, if not pretty.

Hope he's healthy. Not that anyone would actually know.

Team Clark
09-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Should be interesting, if not pretty.

Hope he's healthy. Not that anyone would actually know.

Agreed. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

BTW, belated congratulations on 18,000 posts. :thumbup:

OnBaseMachine
09-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Notes: Bailey to get another shot in bigs
Touted rookie to start on Thursday in San Francisco
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- The Reds announced Sunday that top pitching prospect Homer Bailey would be called up to start on Thursday against the Giants in San Francisco.

Bailey last pitched for the Reds on July 7 before he was sent back to Triple-A Louisville. He spent July 19-Aug. 23 on the disabled list with a strained right groin.

After he was activated, Bailey made two starts for Class A Sarasota and went 0-1 with a 10.13 ERA before the Minor League season ended. The 21-year-old has been throwing in simulated games at the Reds' spring complex since then.

In the latest simulated game on Saturday, Bailey threw 90 pitches. It put him on track to start on Thursday in San Francisco on regular four days' rest. The right-hander is expected to join the Reds in San Francisco on Wednesday.

"I leaned on our development people. In this case, [Sarasota pitching coach] Tom Brown said he felt enough progress had been made and [Bailey was] well enough to pitch," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "We're going to see how he does Thursday."

Bailey was 6-3 with a 3.07 ERA in 12 starts this season for Louisville. After he made his big league debut on June 8, he had mix results, going 2-2 with a 6.99 ERA in six starts. He had some trouble with command -- evidenced by his 21 walks allowed compared to 15 strikeouts over 28 1/3 innings.

Kirk Saarloos pitched four innings in a spot start and took the lost in Saturday's 5-3 Reds defeat to Milwaukee. Saarloos, who was not guaranteed another outing, was informed that he wouldn't make Thursday's start by interim manager Pete Mackanin.

Mackanin, who took over as manager on July 3, saw Bailey make just one start before the right-hander was sent down.

"I saw potential," Mackanin said. "It's all about command. A pitcher's best friend is control and command of the fastball."

There appeared to be no pre-determined limit on Bailey's pitch count or innings for the start.

"He's been on a regular program. Pete will make the call," Krivsky said. "It's Pete's decision. As with all of our pitchers, we try to use common sense."

No rest yet: Ken Griffey Jr. went 0-for-5 in Saturday's game and entered Sunday hitting .191 (9-for-47) in his previous 12 games. Mackanin had no immediate plans to give Griffey some rest in the next three-game series vs. the first-place Cubs.

"We just had two [scheduled] days off," Mackanin said. "By the time we get to San Francisco [on Thursday] and play Houston [on Sept. 25], we'll give him a day off. I'm kind of hesitant to not play him against contending teams."

They said it: Griffey wasn't thrilled by comments made by Brandon Phillips when the second baseman apologized for not hustling out a drive off of the fence. Phillips went into a home run trot before getting thrown out at second base.

"I've been busting my butt and hustling. I finally didn't hustle for one play," Phillips said Saturday. "I don't want to fall into the same category as other people."

A couple of weeks ago in Pittsburgh, Griffey had a similar incident but held up at first base with a long single.

"At least I didn't get thrown out," joked Griffey. "[I've got] 593 [homers]. [Phillips has] less than 60."

Coming up: Bronson Arroyo (9-14, 4.31 ERA) will start Monday's 8:05 p.m. ET series opener vs. the Cubs and Rich Hill (9-8, 3.91) at Wrigley Field.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070916&content_id=2211859&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

SirFelixCat
09-17-2007, 07:06 PM
If he's healthy then I think this is a good thing. Not just for us fans, but to get him feeling good heading into next season.

cincinnati chili
09-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Nice scoop, Jax.

M2
09-17-2007, 07:25 PM
If you're going to call him up, it's a good game to target. The park is pitcher friendly and the Giants (now Bonds free) have a creampuff lineup.

That said, we've heard a lot in the past about how guys like Paul Wilson and Eric Milton have looked good in simulated games and it's often left me wondering what the Reds are simulating.

RFS62
09-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Well, at least it's put a temporary end to all the conspiracy theories since he went on the DL.

It will be a good way to see what he's got at this point.

Aronchis
09-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Well, at least it's put a temporary end to all the conspiracy theories since he went on the DL.

Actually, if Bailey comes out with better stamina and focus(which he seemed to lack this minor league season) it would just add to the "theories". But a good sign it would be.

Matt700wlw
09-17-2007, 07:31 PM
If you're going to call him up, it's a good game to target. The park is pitcher friendly and the Giants (now Bonds free) have a creampuff lineup.

I missed something. What happened to Bonds?

pedro
09-17-2007, 07:35 PM
I missed something. What happened to Bonds?

Bonds sprains toe; may miss a week

ESPN.com news services

Updated: September 17, 2007, 9:13 AM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds could miss a week, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, thanks to a sprain of his big toe, suffered Saturday night against San Diego.

Barry Bonds
Bonds

Left Field
San Francisco Giants

2007 Season Stats GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
125 28 66 75 .483 .279

The Giants say Bonds will be out 5-7 days. He was hurt trying to catch a ball hit by San Diego's Adrian Gonzalez that turned into a triple.

"It swelled up quite a bit," manager Bruce Bochy said. "He jammed it pretty good."

If the injury lingers, Bonds won't have many chances to play at home this season -- or ever, should the Giants choose not to re-sign him after the season. San Francisco starts a seven-game homestand on Thursday against Cincinnati. The Giants' final home game is Sept. 26 against San Diego.

Bonds, who broke Hank Aaron's career record for home runs earlier this season, is playing with a one-year contract with the Giants, worth $15.5 million. The team has not said what it plans to do with Bonds next season.

remdog
09-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Bonds' toe has swollen to the size of his head and there is no shoe on earth that can contain it. ;)

Rem

KronoRed
09-17-2007, 10:48 PM

Anyone really think it'll be that much diffrent then what he had 2 months ago?

Eric_Davis
09-18-2007, 03:17 AM
That would be in SF vs the Giants.

Interesting choice. Show the world he's not "injured" perhaps.

Had his best game of the year there. Bonds is out. Should inspire confidence.

GAC
09-18-2007, 07:53 AM
They wouldn't throw the kid out there if he wasn't 100%. Not for just one start. And It'll probably be the only start he gets before season's end.

As to why? Who knows. Maybe just to build his confidence and give a positive sign/note to the season's end.