PDA

View Full Version : Shelly Duncan - Prankster?

westofyou
09-16-2007, 07:58 PM
http://multimedia.heraldinteractive.com/images/031df67a6b_091507yankautographmg01.jpg

Talk about sore winners.

Griffin Whitman, a 10-year-old Red Sox fan from Swampscott, was excited to attend his first Yankees vs. Red Sox game Friday night. The young autograph -collector was even more thrilled to score Yankees outfielder Shelley Duncan’s signature before the game. That is, until Griffin read the message from the 27-year-old rookie: “Red Sox suck! Shelley Duncan.”

“It was cool to get his autograph,” Griffin said. “It didn’t make me feel happy when he wrote that.”

Griffin’s mother, Karen, blasted the Yankees slugger’s bad manners.

“This is someone who wears the Yankee uniform and is on the payroll and should be setting an example for 10-year-olds,” she said.

Duncan, son of St. Louis Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan, has become a fan favorite in the Bronx for hitting mammoth home runs since he was called up from the minors in July.

Yesterday afternoon, a Yankee spokesman declined to comment until he got a chance to speak to Duncan.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1031894

camisadelgolf
09-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Yes, just because he puts on a uniform and entertains, he should be setting an example for 10-year-olds.

Patrick Bateman
09-16-2007, 08:09 PM
I'd love to get an autograph like that.

KronoRed
09-16-2007, 08:13 PM
What a jackass.

KittyDuran
09-16-2007, 08:33 PM
I never understood the allure of getting an autograph - "the young autograph collector" is too young to be so disappointed. Even if I was so inclined I'd only want Reds' autographs - not from someone who's the enemy.

KittyDuran
09-16-2007, 08:34 PM
I'd love to get an autograph like that.Actually the kid should see if he can sell it to a Boston bar to display.

Team Clark
09-16-2007, 08:34 PM
I'd love to get an autograph like that.

Me too. I would cherish that. If a RedSox fan can't appreciate a comment like that, well....:eek:

BuckWoody
09-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Wasn't Mickey Mantle guilty of writing really crude things on autographed balls and such? Maybe it's a Yankee thing.

Joseph
09-16-2007, 08:46 PM
The Red Sox do suck, but so do the Yankees. :)

edabbs44
09-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Throw it on ebay right now.

37red
09-16-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm a little surprised. I really don't think thats the thing to do with a ten year old, I mean really, a ten year old? I'd take it in a second and make some beer money with it, but then again I can see the value of such. If he did that to my 10 year old I'd have had some words with him.

jojo
09-16-2007, 08:54 PM
Actually the kid should see if he can sell it to a Boston bar to display.

I agree. I think that autograph is priceless. It's a one of a kind and speaks to one of the greatest rivalries in sport.... To me, the spontaneity is one of the things a collector would look for.

Was the boy's mother expecting Duncan to write "Go Sox!"?

:cool:

KittyDuran
09-16-2007, 09:00 PM
I agree. I think that autograph is priceless. It's a one of a kind and speaks to one of the greatest rivalries in sport.... To me, the spontaneity is one of the things a collector would look for.

Was the boy's mother expecting Duncan to write "Go Sox!"?

:cool:That's was my thoughts exactly... (tho' mom and son probably thought they'd get just his name)

edabbs44 got it right - it's worth something to someone.

Team Clark
09-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Wasn't Mickey Mantle guilty of writing really crude things on autographed balls and such? Maybe it's a Yankee thing.

Nah that was Roger Maris. That too was comical.

harangatang
09-16-2007, 09:54 PM
It appears the kid now has a first hand experience of how intense the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is. Welcome to a taste of adulthood and alot of money (if he wants). At least Shelly Duncan was nice enough to sign the kid an autograph though. I've seen many players not even take the time.

RedFanAlways1966
09-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Cry me a river! And while we are at it... let's call the paper and get publicity for this travesty. "Be sure to pose (look hurt) while they are taking your picture, sonny boy." I guess white-out could have been used by normal parents. But I guess some feel that the ALL IMPORTANT story must be told to the masses. Oh well... it is good for the rivalry thing. New York had Bucky Dent and Aaron Boone, now Boston has Griffin Whitman. Sounds fair! :p:

Caseyfan21
09-16-2007, 11:06 PM
I think it's pretty funny but it's probably inappropriate for a 10 y/o. I think Duncan should use a little common sense. Save that autograph for the adult that's shoving kids out of the way. He was probably just having a little fun but didn't use much common sense dealing with a kid.

dougdirt
09-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Innappropriate for a 10 year old? Come on guys... Its not like he dropped an "F the Red Sox' or something. I promise you that kid has said the Yankees suck in his lifetime.

Spitball
09-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Well, I'm a Red Sox fan and not particularly a fan of anyone related to Dave Duncan, but...what was a kid in a Red Sox uniform doing asking a Yankee for an autograph??? I remember being a kid and seeing Whitey Ford after a game...I didn't want his autograph any more than I wanted extra homework...He was a d*mn Yankee.

Kid, stay away from Yankees.

RFS62
09-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Boy, it's a good thing he didn't ask for an autograph from Jimmy Dugan.

Yachtzee
09-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Nah that was Roger Maris. That too was comical.

I thought Maris was criticized because someone asked him if he could put his "X" on a ball for them and he jokingly drew a big "X" on the ball and the guy got mad. I don't know much about Maris beyond the popular history though. Thanks to Jim Bouton, I know that Mantle, along with plenty of other players, was a fan of "beaver hunting."

MartyFan
09-17-2007, 12:40 AM
That kid will make so much on ebay with that autograph

TeamBoone
09-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Yes, just because he puts on a uniform and entertains, he should be setting an example for 10-year-olds.

If he's signing for a kid, he should be. Especially when the kid is wearing Red Sox gear.

Carl Y (can't spell it), once refused an autograph to a kid I knew because he was wearing a Yankee hat.

When kids are DIRECTLY involved, yes, IMHO the player should do his best to set a good example.

blumj
09-17-2007, 02:09 AM
I love it. I hate the Yankees as much as the next Red Sox fan, but Duncan is forcing me to make an exception.

Team Clark
09-17-2007, 04:34 AM
I thought Maris was criticized because someone asked him if he could put his "X" on a ball for them and he jokingly drew a big "X" on the ball and the guy got mad. I don't know much about Maris beyond the popular history though. Thanks to Jim Bouton, I know that Mantle, along with plenty of other players, was a fan of "beaver hunting."

I thought that story is what you were referring to. hmmm...there enough Mantle stories out there that I'm sure one could be used for an "innapropriate" autograph story. :D

GAC
09-17-2007, 07:39 AM
It was stupid and inappropriate for him to have signed it that way. Screw the intensity of this rivalry. When kids are involved - set an example.

What I would like to have seen happen, after he signed the ball, was for the kid to look up and say... "Hell, you're not Derek Jeter!" :lol:

KittyDuran
09-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Well, I'm a Red Sox fan and not particularly a fan of anyone related to Dave Duncan, but...what was a kid in a Red Sox uniform doing asking a Yankee for an autograph??? I remember being a kid and seeing Whitey Ford after a game...I didn't want his autograph any more than I wanted extra homework...He was a d*mn Yankee.

Kid, stay away from Yankees.Agree... I liked Aaron and Schmidt in the 70's but no way would I want an autograph or would I root for them at Riverfront.

RFS62
09-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Kid should have blown his nose in the autograph, wadded it up, and thrown it at Duncan.

"I got your autograph right here, Duncan"

Duncan, of course, would have misplayed it into a double.

NJReds
09-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Now that they got some free publicity, I'm sure they'll sell it to the highest bidder.

Chip R
09-17-2007, 10:24 AM

I don't think these kids care much whose autograph is on the ball as long as it's an autograph. They will put aside their "differences" for an autograph. That may make them as mercenary as the players are. :dunno:

I thought Jim Bouton did something like that. I thought he put some kind of odd message on a ball and got some grief for it.

George Anderson
09-17-2007, 10:38 AM
I remember hearing a story of how Reggie Jackson would write "Mickey Mouse" or "Donald Duck" when people asked him for his autograph. Must be a Yankee thing!!!

KittyDuran
09-17-2007, 10:43 AM
IIRC in one of Johnny Bench's books he talks about the autograph seekers in NYC (playing the Mets) and how bad they were. If that was the case back in the 70's then maybe it is a NYC-Yankees thing to fight back.

HotCorner
09-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Yankees = Class

TeamBoone
09-17-2007, 04:12 PM

Kids have their favorite teams, but they also have their favorite players... no matter what team they play for.

Griffey is a really good example. While watching the Little League World Series, the two most popular players among the kids were Griffey and Jeter... and most of those kids don't live in New York or Cincinnati.

oneupper
09-17-2007, 05:14 PM
I thought it was funny. Kid and his parents need to get a life.

Caseyfan21
09-17-2007, 05:25 PM

I always tried to get autographs when I was younger. I don't know how it's set up now but at Riverfront it was pretty easy to get just about every Reds player's autograph after the game when they were leaving. Therefore, during the time between BP and the start of the game I would always try to get autographs of the opposing team along the fence line because I knew I'd go for Reds players later.

I didn't care who they played for, I just liked getting lots of autographs. If a player on the opposing team was especially nice to me I would usually adopt them as a favorite non Reds player and make sure to vote for them on the All Star ballots, etc. As far as I was concerned the more autographs on my ball after the game, the better. I managed to get several All Stars/HOF'ers autographs growing up by doing this including Glavine, Pujols, Piazza, Bagwell, Thome, Jimmy Rollins, etc.

Caseyfan21
09-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Kids have their favorite teams, but they also have their favorite players... no matter what team they play for.

As I said in my post above, this is extremely true. I know I was very impressionable as a younger kid. The players that a ball I caught or were nice to me getting an autograph became my favorite players. The players that acted rude towards me immediately became the players I hated and always rooted against. I loved Eddie Taubensee, Sean Casey, and the guys who were always friendly and willing to sign autographs.

TeamBoone
09-17-2007, 08:45 PM
I thought it was funny. Kid and his parents need to get a life.

A 10-year old kid needs to get a life? Do you remember what it was like to be ten (that's 5th grade)? I'm sure he didn't get the humor....

jojo
09-17-2007, 08:54 PM
A 10-year old kid needs to get a life? Do you remember what it was like to be ten (that's 5th grade)? I'm sure he didn't get the humor....

At ten, any ballplayer is larger than life so I could understand if he was surprised initially. That said, my 9 yo daughter gets the humor and she's really only started seriously following baseball and it's history within the last year. I have no idea how a ten year old dressed from head to toe in Sox gear, wouldn't get the humor, especially after showing it off to his buddies etc.

If the kid is truly bent out of shape, he's not gonna make mile one in the marathon that will be following the Redsox-Yankees battle.

mth123
09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
I think its awful to write that to a 10 year old. I understand Duncan's perspective but he's the adult and needs to act like one IMO. I also use the term "suck" from time to time (mostly in some reference to OF defense or some Reds player getting picked-off base or caught stealing) but the origin of the term is still not "G" rated and I don't think it is acceptable to write that on a 10 year old's keepsake. If he would have said "stinks" instead it wouldn't have been as bad, but he should just sign it straight or just stop signing.

I do think its excessive for the parents to go public with the complaint. I would have probably just classified Duncan as a jerk and gone about my business.

37red
09-17-2007, 09:00 PM
It's a fact that kids are what we often argue is the base of the game. Playing ball on sand lots, collecting cards with gum in them. When I collected cards it wasn't to get only one team, it was to get as many greats as you could. If I had a chance to get an autograph from any pro player I'd have jumped on it. Not for the money on ebay, it would be for the excitement of having a big star signing anything for me. It's ridiculous to think that a kid should expect a pro player to give a signature like that. I'm surprised that so many people forget about being 10 years old and how they felt about baseball as a whole. Have people just jumped off the edge and think that a 10 year old would simply go for the money? Get your heads together. Maybe you would go for the money instead of just simply the excitement of getting an autograph, that's not unlikely, but.....

redsmetz
09-17-2007, 09:08 PM

You're thinking of Jimmy Dugan.... :D

KittyDuran
09-17-2007, 09:27 PM
It's a fact that kids are what we often argue is the base of the game. Playing ball on sand lots, collecting cards with gum in them. When I collected cards it wasn't to get only one team, it was to get as many greats as you could. If I had a chance to get an autograph from any pro player I'd have jumped on it. Not for the money on ebay, it would be for the excitement of having a big star signing anything for me. It's ridiculous to think that a kid should expect a pro player to give a signature like that. I'm surprised that so many people forget about being 10 years old and how they felt about baseball as a whole. Have people just jumped off the edge and think that a 10 year old would simply go for the money? Get your heads together. Maybe you would go for the money instead of just simply the excitement of getting an autograph, that's not unlikely, but.....37, your first part of the paragraph is describing a young baseball fan of a different era - I did those things and I'm 48 (I took brand new cards of Boog, Weaver, Brooks, Frank, and Palmer, and put them into the spokes of my bicycle after the Reds lost to the Orioles in 1970). :eek: The kids I know today that follow baseball look at it differently and unfortunately, money is involved for these things and I blame that somewhat on the parents. I didn't have ebay, there was only Topps cards, etc.

I do think its excessive for the parents to go public with the complaint. I would have probably just classified Duncan as a jerk and gone about my business. :thumbup:

mth123
09-17-2007, 09:33 PM
I understand "the kids in it for the money argument," but we're talking Shelley Duncan here. The ink probably costs more than a straight autograph would bring. Duncan didn't need to try and ruin it. In actuality he made it worth something IMO.

oneupper
09-17-2007, 09:40 PM

I don't remember that far back. But I coached 10 year olds in soccer last year. You would not believe what kids that age "get" these days.

jojo
09-17-2007, 09:50 PM
It's a fact that kids are what we often argue is the base of the game. Playing ball on sand lots, collecting cards with gum in them. When I collected cards it wasn't to get only one team, it was to get as many greats as you could. If I had a chance to get an autograph from any pro player I'd have jumped on it. Not for the money on ebay, it would be for the excitement of having a big star signing anything for me. It's ridiculous to think that a kid should expect a pro player to give a signature like that. I'm surprised that so many people forget about being 10 years old and how they felt about baseball as a whole. Have people just jumped off the edge and think that a 10 year old would simply go for the money? Get your heads together. Maybe you would go for the money instead of just simply the excitement of getting an autograph, that's not unlikely, but.....

I personally would frame the autograph.

I don't think it's fair to assume that Duncan wrote what he did in an attempt to be malicious. It was a spontaneous moment and one that I don't really think was an ugly one. We of course can never know his true intent but shouldn't we give him the benefit of the doubt?

BTW, I'm a big Ms fan and my daughter has adopted them too (probably because she can't escape them) and she refuses to wear green because of the As. She's 9. I think we're selling kids short by suggesting "they're only in 5th grade".

westofyou
09-18-2007, 12:10 AM

Yep, everyone is a cynic these days, personally I think it sucks myself. It's not a clever autograph nor playful when pushed upon someone who has yet to taste the flavor of cynicism and irony.

Congrats to Shelly for having both the spoon and fork in this situation, I'm certain it will be his greatest legacy as a ballplayer.

REDREAD
09-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Kind of a harsh thing to do to a kid, IMO.

I could see doing it to an adult wearing a Sox uniform.

Like others said, a kid will get an autograph from anyone, and be thrilled.

Heck, my kids get excited from getting an autograph from the mascot.

camisadelgolf
09-18-2007, 04:28 AM
If your ten-year-old son is genuinely offended by "Red Sox Suck", you either have a weird son, or you did a bad job of explaining life, in my opinion. If that same ten-year-old kid heard about Jacob Ellsbury doing that to a Yankees fan, I bet the kid wouldn't be offended at all and might say it was anything from stupid to hilarious (or he just wouldn't understand it at all). However, when his parent(s) come into the picture and tell him how he should feel, that changes things quite a bit, and I'd bet any amount of money that that's what happened.

GAC
09-18-2007, 10:15 AM
I do think its excessive for the parents to go public with the complaint. I would have probably just classified Duncan as a jerk and gone about my business.

I agree, but then, maybe the parents want everyone to know what kind of jerk Duncan is for signing their son's autograph that way.

And again - there's that hatred betwen the fans of these two teams that plays into this and never seems to end.

If it was me when I was ten I'd have just kicked him in the shin and dared him to hit a kid. Of course he'd never catch me.... I was faaaaaast http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/sport018.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Chip R
09-18-2007, 10:19 AM
The kid should have come back and said, "At least I don't have a girl's first name." :lol:

GAC
09-18-2007, 10:23 AM
The kid should have come back and said, "At least I don't have a girl's first name." :lol:

Or maybe "Your sister Sandy was not only a better Peter Pan, but a better fielder!"

GAC
09-18-2007, 10:24 AM
I don't remember that far back. But I coached 10 year olds in soccer last year. You would not believe what kids that age "get" these days.

I hear the word "friggin' " alot anymore (especially from my daughter), and I don't particularly care for that word. I guess it could be worse.

Roy Tucker
09-18-2007, 12:32 PM
If your ten-year-old son is genuinely offended by "Red Sox Suck", you either have a weird son, or you did a bad job of explaining life, in my opinion.

The 10 yr. old version of my kids would have been offended. And I think I explained life just fine.

In the Tucker home when my kids were younger, the word "suck" wasn't allowed. Roy knows the derivation of this term (it seems the rest of the world has forgotten), and for a 10 yr. old kid to be using is not right. I don't care if the rest of the world has habituated their kids that its OK, it wasn't OK with me.

Now, the world has marched on, my kids have gotten older and are in HS and college, and "suck" has crept into their vernacular (along with a lot of other words). My HS freshman daughter came home from marching band practice and said "man, we really sucked today". Roy winced, but realized time marches on and my kids aren't the fresh-faced daiseys they once were.

But for impressionable kids (and I include a 10 yr. old there), I think it was poor taste for Duncan to sign it. If I were standing next to my kid when it was signed, I would have said something about it to Duncan (like, "no, try again"). But that would have been the end of it. What is gained by going to the press with it?

Get off my lawn, punks.

pedro
09-18-2007, 01:00 PM
If your ten-year-old son is genuinely offended by "Red Sox Suck", you either have a weird son, or you did a bad job of explaining life, in my opinion.

You're inviting a big ol can of roy tucker whoop ass son. Now why you want to go an do that? ;)

Roy Tucker
09-18-2007, 01:09 PM
You're inviting a big ol can of roy tucker whoop ass son. Now why you want to go an do that? ;)

I'm so predictable. Just tell me to shut up.

pedro
09-18-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm so predictable. Just tell me to shut up.

I guess you don't want to mention what color your son's hair is? :)

37red
09-18-2007, 02:38 PM
I wonder how many people can picture themselves standing tall in a Reds uniform and a 10 year old kid walks up to you. He looks up wearing another teams jersey or hat but is really excited that he got close enough to you to get an autograph. The kid hands you something to sign, he's just lucky to even get to a game once a year much less close enough to a famous player to get your signature, and you write "your team sucks".

This doesn't amount to whether a kid is weird, it's all about what, you, the big time Professional baseball player related to the child. Camisadelgolf, explaining life to your son or daughter isn't built around looking up to people and expecting them to dump on you. Those people aren't the ones you teach your kids to respect. Again, would you look a kid in the face that has approached you for an autograph and write down that his home team sucks?

15fan
09-18-2007, 02:53 PM
...what was a kid in a Red Sox uniform doing asking a Yankee for an autograph???

My thoughts exactly.

37red
09-18-2007, 02:55 PM
A point I left out is that kids are generally taught that there are jerks they'll have to deal with. But you also give your kids hopes and dreams to look up to. A kid getting a Baseball players signature shouldn't get crossed up with the bully on the playground.

37red
09-18-2007, 02:56 PM
15fan, why? You have to ask why?

jojo
09-18-2007, 03:10 PM
I wonder how many people can picture themselves standing tall in a Reds uniform and a 10 year old kid walks up to you. He looks up wearing another teams jersey or hat but is really excited that he got close enough to you to get an autograph. The kid hands you something to sign, he's just lucky to even get to a game once a year much less close enough to a famous player to get your signature, and you write "your team sucks".

This doesn't amount to whether a kid is weird, it's all about what, you, the big time Professional baseball player related to the child. Camisadelgolf, explaining life to your son or daughter isn't built around looking up to people and expecting them to dump on you. Those people aren't the ones you teach your kids to respect. Again, would you look a kid in the face that has approached you for an autograph and write down that his home team sucks?

Again, I don't understand why people would automatically assume Duncan saw this as an opportunity to dump on a poor ten year old and was motivated to write what he did by a desire to be hurtful, dismissive, or offensive.

KittyDuran
09-18-2007, 03:16 PM
WE do all agree that taking this matter to the press was a bad idea? :)

KittyDuran
09-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Also, has Duncan responded to this? :confused:

Roy Tucker
09-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Again, I don't understand why people would automatically assume Duncan saw this as an opportunity to dump on a poor ten year old and was motivated to write what he did by a desire to be hurtful, dismissive, or offensive.

Actually, I didn't think that at all. I had assumed he was a young rookie that got caught up in the Yankees/Red Sox war and thought he was being clever and/or snarky.

A very human thing to do, but still not cool.

jojo
09-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Actually, I didn't think that at all. I had assumed he was a young rookie that got caught up in the Yankees/Red Sox war and thought he was being clever and/or snarky.

A very human thing to do, but still not cool.

I kinda think it's cool. Maybe if the BoSox/Yanks rivalry wasn't so storied and special, an autogragh like that wouldn't be cool. But frankly, if that kid had a dollar for every time he or one of his buddies said the Yanks suck, his college education would probably be covered.

I think reasonable people can disagree about how cool it was or wasn't. I'm a pretty socially conservative fellow who instills such values into my children but really, I have a hard time seeing the mother's point of view on this one.

TeamBoone
09-18-2007, 08:11 PM
If your ten-year-old son is genuinely offended by "Red Sox Suck", you either have a weird son, or you did a bad job of explaining life, in my opinion. If that same ten-year-old kid heard about Jacob Ellsbury doing that to a Yankees fan, I bet the kid wouldn't be offended at all and might say it was anything from stupid to hilarious (or he just wouldn't understand it at all). However, when his parent(s) come into the picture and tell him how he should feel, that changes things quite a bit, and I'd bet any amount of money that that's what happened.

Perhaps the parents got involved because of how it affected their child, rather than telling him how to feel.

All children are different and react differently to the same situation(s). All in all, it was a very "childish" thing for Duncan to do.

Heck, I'm an adult and I'd be severely ticked off if someone wrote that on my baseball when referring to my beloved Reds! (I don't get autographs, but if I did, I'd be irate)

TeamBoone
09-18-2007, 08:17 PM
My thoughts exactly.

Oh please. Do you think Cincinnati and Seattle are the only two cities that have kids who adore Ken Griffey, Jr.?

37red
09-18-2007, 09:55 PM
There's the humorous side and then there's the parental perspective. I could joke about it all day but I could also say that it wasn't the right thing to do. I asked others about it and all of them looked at me in obvious disgust, how screwed up that was. Sooo, it all comes down to perspective and we're not going to reverse anyones perspective it seems. From a comedic point of view it's funny. From a 10 year olds and a parental perspective it's questionable. From here it's all yours, good night from 37red.

camisadelgolf
09-19-2007, 05:03 AM
The 10 yr. old version of my kids would have been offended. And I think I explained life just fine.

In the Tucker home when my kids were younger, the word "suck" wasn't allowed. Roy knows the derivation of this term (it seems the rest of the world has forgotten), and for a 10 yr. old kid to be using is not right. I don't care if the rest of the world has habituated their kids that its OK, it wasn't OK with me.

Now, the world has marched on, my kids have gotten older and are in HS and college, and "suck" has crept into their vernacular (along with a lot of other words). My HS freshman daughter came home from marching band practice and said "man, we really sucked today". Roy winced, but realized time marches on and my kids aren't the fresh-faced daiseys they once were.

But for impressionable kids (and I include a 10 yr. old there), I think it was poor taste for Duncan to sign it. If I were standing next to my kid when it was signed, I would have said something about it to Duncan (like, "no, try again"). But that would have been the end of it. What is gained by going to the press with it?

Get off my lawn, punks.

For me, profanity started as a religious thing, and seeing as how I'm not religious (combined with freedom of speech, separation of church and state, etc.), I don't have a problem with any kind of so-called 'inappropriate' words. With that said, I think what you said is perfectly reasonable, and I feel like I understand from where you're coming. I'm glad we can at least agree that it's not worth raising a storm about.

Ltlabner
09-19-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm not "offended" by the word suck but I understand why some people are. If that particular father thought the word suck was in poor taste he should have talked to the ballplayer himself and dealt with it.

The second you run to a newspaper to deal with an issue like that tells me dad is more interested in getting in the newspaper than he is protecting his son's innoccence.

mth123
09-19-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm not "offended" by the word suck but I understand why some people are. If that particular father thought the word suck was in poor taste he should have talked to the ballplayer himself and dealt with it.

The second you run to a newspaper to deal with an issue like that tells me dad is more interested in getting in the newspaper than he is protecting his son's innoccence.

I'm not offended either, but I don't think its appropriate for an adult to be using in any type of communication with a 10 year old.

If it was my 10 year old I'd be angry.

deltachi8
09-20-2007, 12:40 AM
I have an 11 year old...if he had relieved said ball...I would laugh my butt off and would explain to him the nature of a joke.

blumj
09-20-2007, 01:23 AM

If you don't want your kid exposed to the word "suck", the absolute last place you should be taking him is Fenway Park for a Sox/Yankee game. The kid, and Duncan, probably heard "Yankees suck" about 500 times at that game.

George Anderson
09-20-2007, 04:25 PM
If you don't want your kid exposed to the word "suck", the absolute last place you should be taking him is Fenway Park for a Sox/Yankee game. The kid, and Duncan, probably heard "Yankees suck" about 500 times at that game.

We went to the 8/29 and 8/30 game at Yankee Stadium against the Red Sox and trust me the word "suck" is tame compared to most of the language used. There were approximately five different Red Sox fans ejected from the two games we saw and all five times the entire stadium chanted in unison a vulgar term named after a body part much, much worse than "sucks". On the way out of the stadium we were caught in the middle of a group of Yankee fans and a real obnoxious Red Sox fan that were very close to coming to blows. Having said all this, while I dont condone this behavior it is kinda nice in a way to see people so passionate for their team.

Chip R
09-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Of course Duncan is now going to be a cult hero among Yankee fans for doing this.

registerthis
09-20-2007, 06:41 PM

I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked.

deltachi8
09-20-2007, 06:42 PM
I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked.

Hey stop that, my wiener kids are listening.

vaticanplum
09-20-2007, 11:41 PM
WE do all agree that taking this matter to the press was a bad idea? :)

This kind of story is the exact reason there's a part of me that still hates the internet. This autograph could have been given in any number of circumstances. shelly Duncan could have had a light-hearted exchange with this kid. The kid could have been giving him good-natured ribbing and said "Yankees suck!" and Duncan smiled and signed the autograph. The kid could have been a brat, really ribbing him but still bothering to ask for an autograph, and Duncan was annoyed. Or Shelly Duncan could have been playing out an inside joke with him teammates. Or Shelly Duncan could be a complete and total jerk.

None of us can know the circumstances. Not even if the people involved tell us about them: they'll still be told in retrospect, with opinion, and colored by the press as need be. But we all know it happened. Because of the internet, the thing that was supposed to save us time and give us more information. And instead we're kind of wasting time dissecting what can never really be true information, just photos and statements. I don't feel this way about everything on the internet, obviously, but this kind of story is just the extreme in the picture, I think.

Shelly Duncan should probably consider the fact that he's a professional baseball player now and he should probably think harder about the ways and means of the world he lives in. And this kid (or his parents) should probably take themselves down to a soup kitchen or something and remind themselves that kids could do a lot worse than getting a slightly off-color autograph at a game they probably paid a fortune to go to. I don't mean that to sound righteous -- lord knows I'm preoccupied with stupider stuff every day of my life, and here I am reading and writing about this anyway -- but this is that kind of reminder to all of us that for crying out loud, there are bigger things in the world.

My opinion? Well, I think it shows good-hearted spirit. But I guess that's to be expected :)