PDA

View Full Version : 100 Players You Love to Hate

BRM
09-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Adam Dunn shows up in the "Wish you were someone else" division. The article is currently on ESPN's front page.

75. Adam Dunn, Cincinnati Reds: In the eyes of Reds fans and their hatchet-wielding broadcasters, Dunn's 40 homers and 100 walks a season are a big fluke, and only his high strikeout totals and sketchy defense matter. The abuse has grown so harsh this season, you'd think he sold the recipe for Skyline Chili to Osama.

Here is the link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keri/070917)to the rest.

oneupper
09-17-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't live in Cincinnati. Is this anywhere near being true or a huge exaggeration?

I'm thinking Dunn doesn't belong in that group.

Joseph
09-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Depends. A lot of the radio guys do say those kind of things yes. Some of the news paper guys are coming around.

pahster
09-17-2007, 05:33 PM
The very few people I know in the area think he's useless. I think they're still waiting for the reemergence of Chris Stynes and Alex Ochoa.

Ltlabner
09-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Depends. A lot of the radio guys do say those kind of things yes. Some of the news paper guys are coming around.

Latley, Thom B, George G and Welsh have all been saying you have to pick up the option also.

I *think* I remember Fey saying it receintly too.

Dunn's excellent August and strong September (combined with a BA in the .260 area, right or wrong) has done a lot to quiet down those screaming for him to be axed.

Frankly, lots of people complain about Dunn because (1) he's an easy target (2) it's one of the few names on the team they actually recognize. I'm talking about casual fans.

Roy Tucker
09-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Seems that the jungle drums calling for Dunn's head have lessened as of late. I don't know if Marty was told to cool it or what.

It was pretty bad earlier this season (and seasons past).

KronoRed
09-17-2007, 05:47 PM
I don't live in Cincinnati. Is this anywhere near being true or a huge exaggeration?

For the most part it's true.

BoydsOfSummer
09-17-2007, 08:39 PM
and their hatchet-wielding broadcasters

Hmm.... Guess it isn't just a Redszone 10 created myth after all.

RedsManRick
09-17-2007, 09:18 PM
And Jeter isn't even on there... hmmm....

GAC
09-18-2007, 05:09 AM
Don't see how Adam could make a list of players you love to hate. I figure that list would be primarily comprised of players who are jerks and have character issues regardless of their numbers/performance.

RedsBaron
09-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Don't see how Adam could make a list of players you love to hate. I figure that list would be primarily comprised of players who are jerks and have character issues regardless of their numbers/performance.

I agree. Silly list. How did Barry Bonds not make the list?
How about a list of ignorant "hatchet-wielding broadcasters"?

redsmetz
09-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Regarding Dunn, I actually think Cunningham going crazy on Dunn did a world of good. I'm guessing it may have been a wake-up call to the likes of Marty that they were stirring up a lot of hate for a very good baseball player.

Chip R
09-18-2007, 09:30 AM
The list was kind of odd but it seemed like a list of players their own fans love to hate which wasn't made clear from reading the explanation. Otherwise why wouldn't Bonds or Jeter be on there? A lot of these guys - especially the QBs - don't exactly make the other teams' fans bring the torchs and pitchforks. Ryan Leaf? I think there are some articles which seemed like a good idea at the time but in the end shouldn't have been written at all, This was one of them.

Hoosier Red
09-18-2007, 10:28 AM
The list was meant as players who the teams own fans like to hate, that's why there was a special Yankees, Mets, and Phillies division of the list.

And yes, Cincinnati fans seem to hate Adam more than any other fans, well except for Bob Wickman's family, I bet they hate Adam Dunn the most.

westofyou
09-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Hmm.... Guess it isn't just a Redszone 10 created myth after all.

Next Windmill to take on is WLW, an anti-intellectual sewage conduit if there ever was one.

Highlifeman21
09-18-2007, 12:06 PM
The list was meant as players who the teams own fans like to hate, that's why there was a special Yankees, Mets, and Phillies division of the list.

And yes, Cincinnati fans seem to hate Adam more than any other fans, well except for Bob Wickman's family, I bet they hate Adam Dunn the most.

Exactly.

That's why Bobby Abreu, Pat Burrell and Adam Dunn are all on the same list.

Pat Burrell hasn't been run out of Philly (yet), and Adam Dunn also hasn't been run out of Cincy (yet).

Philly did a great job with Bobby Abreu though. Just think where that team would be had they not given him away to the Yankees for a bag of peanuts, a foam finger and an Amtrak pass.

Ravenlord
09-18-2007, 05:58 PM
since i keep notes of games i listen to at work; this should prove interesting:

1. until midway through August, the Brenamen's and Brantley were a consensus the Hopper is better than Dunn.

2. Doc and Tracy Jones have both said on their programs that Dunn is "a waste of time and effort," and "can only hit in meaningless" situations. thus both wanted Dunn axed for draft picks until his August performance.

3. as far as i can tell, Chris Welsh has always loved Dunn, and supported him when most fans and broadcasters would not.

4. if you're not Jim Edmonds or Andruw Jones, George Grande thinks you are a lack luster outfielder.

5. Extra Innings (which I only listen to to drown out customers) has gone from anti-Dunn (he strikes out too much and only hits homers on ESPN) to Dunn is great (he is the epitome of the Big Red Machine offense).

Sabo Fan
09-19-2007, 07:11 AM

I'm thinking Dunn doesn't belong in that group.

Yeah it's a small sample size, but the vast majority of the people I work with consider Dunn to be overpaid and essentially worthless to this team. Despite my efforts to convince them otherwise they still think he's lazy, unmotivated, K's too much and plays terrible defense. As much as I hate to blame them, it's this town's media that has shaped their opinions and I doubt there's much that can be done to change it.

I do make a point though the day after Dunn has come through in a big moment in the game the night before to point it out and throw out some good Dunn numbers, but I don't seem to be making much headway.