PDA

View Full Version : Bench v.2008

Ltlabner
09-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Ok, big warning here...obviously there's lots of speculation involved here.

2007 Bench
Castro
Javy
Moller
Conine
Freel/Hopper/Hamilton

2008 Projected Bench
Hatteburg (assumes Votto starts 1B)
Hopper (assumes Hamilton starts in CF)
Keppenger
Cantu
Catcher To be Named Later
Buck Coats ?

Ok, the chances of no changes happening between now and April 2008 are slim and none. But if a magic wand were waived and this was the bench we took to the war I'd think we've taken major steps forward in improving what was a dismal bench in the first 1/2 of 2007.

I know that the bench is the least of our worries, but I like the flexibility and performance v.2008 should offer over the dismal v.2007.

kheidg-
09-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Hatte will be gone.

Barring any trades it will probably look like this

Hopper (backup OF), Kepp (2B,SS,3B,OF), Cantu (2B,3B,1B), Freel (OF,3B,2B), Javy/Ross (C)

Starters
1B Votto
2B Phillips
SS Gonzo
3B EdE
LF Dunn
CF Hamilton
RF Griffey
C Javy/Ross

Now the pitching staff

SP Harang
SP Arroyo
SP Belisle
SP Bailey
SP Livingston/Shearn/Cueto
RP Weathers
RP Burton
RP Bray
RP Majewski
RP McBeth
RP Coutlangus
RP Coffey/Guardado/Salmon/??

4256 Hits
09-17-2007, 10:07 PM
The Reds are paying Castro ~1 million next year so he WILL have one of those bench spots.

Kc61
09-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Hatte will be gone.

Barring any trades it will probably look like this

Hopper (backup OF), Kepp (2B,SS,3B,OF), Cantu (2B,3B,1B), Freel (OF,3B,2B), Javy/Ross (C)

Starters
1B Votto
2B Phillips
SS Gonzo
3B EdE
LF Dunn
CF Hamilton
RF Griffey
C Javy/Ross

Now the pitching staff

SP Harang
SP Arroyo
SP Belisle
SP Bailey
SP Livingston/Shearn/Cueto
RP Weathers
RP Burton
RP Bray
RP Majewski
RP McBeth
RP Coutlangus
RP Coffey/Guardado/Salmon/??

Your bench is entirely right handed except for Javy, who needs to be available to catch in case of an injury or double switch. So I don't think everyone you list will be around. I think a lefty bat will be on the bench, maybe Buck Coates, Chris Dickerson, or a new guy.

GAC
09-18-2007, 08:44 AM
First off, by the title, I thought Bench was gonna attempt a comeback in '08! :lol:

The Reds are paying Castro ~1 million next year so he WILL have one of those bench spots.

Krivsky has ate higher salaries before. ;)

Your bench is entirely right handed except for Javy, who needs to be available to catch in case of an injury or double switch. So I don't think everyone you list will be around. I think a lefty bat will be on the bench, maybe Buck Coates, Chris Dickerson, or a new guy.

Which is why I think they will hang onto Hatte. Where else are you gonna find a LH'd bat off the bench that can produce for 1.5 Mil while also being a baackup to Votto at 1B? And it would be a wise decision on WK's part unless someone offers up something decent in return on a trade.

edabbs44
09-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Has Hatteberg said that he'd be fine with becoming a bench player? I realize he's under contract, but he might ask for a trade to a place where he could at least get some consistent PT.

puca
09-18-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm not really sure he could find a better gig than backing up a rookie. He is a solid bench player, but even he should realize that teams want more from a starting first baseman.

edabbs44
09-18-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm not really sure he could find a better gig than backing up a rookie. He is a solid bench player, but even he should realize that teams want more from a starting first baseman.

Yeah, but there will probably be opportunities a little more appealing than backing up a top prospect who hits from the same side of the plate as you do.

GAC
09-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah, but there will probably be opportunities a little more appealing than backing up a top prospect who hits from the same side of the plate as you do.

Possibly. But he is under contract to the Reds and this FO needs to think what is better for the team and not necessarily Scott Hatteberg. From what I've read, they had teams show interest this year before the trading deadline yet were offering very little in return. So that kinda gives us a hint at what other teams think or how much value they place on Hatte. Not much. Yeah, they'd like to have him, but they aren't going to make much of a sacrifice to acquire him.

He'd probably be utilized in the same duties we intend for him. I really don't think he'd be a starting 1Bman whoever was interested.

So hang onto him unless someone really wants him bad. He'd be a solid bench/utility player IMO.

Eat Castro's contract if we need the room. Ellis will be gone at season's end too.

edabbs44
09-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Possibly. But he is under contract to the Reds and this FO needs to think what is better for the team and not necessarily Scott Hatteberg. From what I've read, they had teams show interest this year before the trading deadline yet were offering very little in return. So that kinda gives us a hint at what other teams think or how much value they place on Hatte. Not much. Yeah, they'd like to have him, but they aren't going to make much of a sacrifice to acquire him.

He'd probably be utilized in the same duties we intend for him. I really don't think he'd be a starting 1Bman whoever was interested.

So hang onto him unless someone really wants him bad. He'd be a solid bench/utility player IMO.

Eat Castro's contract if we need the room. Ellis will be gone at season's end too.

Paying almost $2 million for a bench guy might not really help this team in the way it needs to be helped. Hatte might be a bargain relative to the rest of baseball, but that money might be better spent elsewhere while potentially getting a younger guy in return.

4256 Hits
09-18-2007, 09:58 PM
First off, by the title, I thought Bench was gonna attempt a comeback in '08! :lol:

Krivsky has ate higher salaries before. ;)

True but not before the season starts. :D Plus it appears he has some man love for Castro.

M2
09-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Paying almost $2 million for a bench guy might not really help this team in the way it needs to be helped. Hatte might be a bargain relative to the rest of baseball, but that money might be better spent elsewhere while potentially getting a younger guy in return.

I wouldn't mind trading Hatteberg if someone offered a good return, but I'm perfectly fine with the team paying $2M for what should be one of the best pinch hitters in baseball.

Cedric
09-19-2007, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't mind trading Hatteberg if someone offered a good return, but I'm perfectly fine with the team paying $2M for what should be one of the best pinch hitters in baseball.

Wouldn't mind? I'd do cartwheels if that was his role. Some schools of thought say that pinch hitters need to be hackers, not me. I think he would dominate relief pitching.

I'm extremely excited for next year. Jared Burton and what look slike some bench depth can do that for you.

IslandRed
09-19-2007, 01:06 AM
Absolutely. In the National League, "ace left-handed pinch-hitter" is practically a full-time job. That guy's going to get a high-leverage plate appearance in practically every close game. It shouldn't be a throwaway gig.

Cyclone792
09-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Hatteberg's 2008 option is actually going to be a bit cheaper at $1.85 million since he's not going to accumulate 500 PAs this season. Had he reached 500 PAs this season, he'd have earned a $50k bonus in 2007 with the 2008 option climbing up to $2 million and the buyout going from $150k to $175k.

So yea, $1.85 million for another year of Hatteberg should be a no-brainer, even if his new role will be primarily as a bench player. He could still easily reach 200 plate appearances next season with plenty of high leverage pinch hit opportunities and a few spot starts.

camisadelgolf
09-19-2007, 05:13 AM
The Yankees would be a great team to trade Hatteberg to, in my opinion. For the bench next year, here are your options:
C Javier Valentin
C Ryan Hanigan
1B Jorge Cantu
2B Jeff Keppinger
IF Paul Janish
IF Andy Machado
IF Juan Castro
2B/SS Pedro Lopez
UT Norris Hopper
UT Ryan Freel
UT Jerry Gil
UT Buck Coats
OF Chris Dickerson
OF Jason Ellison

That's a ton of versatility. I hope some of it has trade value. Personally, I'd option any of them who has an option year remaining. Also, I'd DFA Castro and might not offer Ellison arbitration (I presume he's eligible).