PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Champions League 2007-8

M2
09-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Interesting first set of games so far. Rosenborg (from Norway) is giving Chelsea all it can handle (currently 1-1). Porto's tied with Liverpool 1-1 with 30 minutes to play and Liverpool just got carded down to 10 men because Jermaine Pennant apparently left his brain at home.

Celtic's down 2-0 to Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine) and Olympiakos (Greece) is up on Lazio (Italy) 1-0. Beskitas (Turkey) is 0-0 away at Marseille. Good day for the underdogs so far. Nice to see it.

M2
09-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Liverpool held on for the tie - deserved to lose. Rosenborg got the tie with Chelsea (huge upset). Marseille scored two late goals on Besiktas.

Valencia got a road win against German champs FC Schalke. Shakhtar closed out Celtic 2-0, and that might be it for Celtic's dreams of making the knock-out phase. Defending champs AC Milan beat Benfica 2-1 because Andrea Pirlo is a genius.

And in the fascist division, Real Madrid beat Werder Bremen 2-1, but played better than that. Meanwhile Lazio came back to tie Olympiakos, which steams my pipes because I hate the sieg hieling twits who cotton to Lazio.

RawOwl UK
09-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Man Utd playing Rooney up front on his own. Madness.

Arsenal 1-0 up over Sevilla. Had money on Fabragas scoring the first goal as well :) the bookies have paid out already even though it may go down as an OG.

M2
09-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Ronaldo with a nice header to put Man U on top. Van Persie's now put Arsenal up 2-0. Rangers are 1-1 at home with Stuttgart in a game the Scots can't afford to lose. Fenerbahce (Turkey) is holding a 1-0 lead on Inter, making it the potential upset special of the day.

M2
09-19-2007, 06:14 PM
The two supposedly marquee matchups today turned into routs with Barca beating Lyon 3-0 and Arsenal thrashing Sevilla 3-0. Rangers beat Stuttgart 2-1 (which doesn't please me one bit). Man U held on for the 1-0 win and Roma put away Dynamo Kiev 2-0. Slavia Prague beat Steaua Bucuresti 2-1.

PSV beat CSKA Moscow 2-1 despite a goal from one of my favorite players, Vagner Love. Moscow also boasts Dudu, which may be the best name in sports. And Fenerbahce closed out Inter for the 1-0 win. The Turkish teams are getting a lot better. Fenerbahce still doesn't have its best player, Stephen Appiah, back. I think a lot of people looked at Inter's draw with Fenerbahce, PSV and Moscow and thought it was a cakewalk. Those teams have talent and it's conceivable that Inter might not survive to the knockout stages.

WMR
09-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Vagner Love is a stud.

Cedric
09-19-2007, 06:27 PM
The two supposedly marquee matchups today turned into routs with Barca beating Lyon 3-0 and Arsenal thrashing Sevilla 3-0. Rangers beat Stuttgart 2-1 (which doesn't please me one bit). Man U held on for the 1-0 win and Roma put away Dynamo Kiev 2-0. Slavia Prague beat Steaua Bucuresti 2-1.

PSV beat CSKA Moscow 2-1 despite a goal from one of my favorite players, Vagner Love. Moscow also boasts Dudu, which may be the best name in sports. And Fenerbahce closed out Inter for the 1-0 win. The Turkish teams are getting a lot better. Fenerbahce still doesn't have its best player, Stephen Appiah, back. I think a lot of people looked at Inter's draw with Fenerbahce, PSV and Moscow and thought it was a cakewalk. Those teams have talent and it's conceivable that Inter might not survive to the knockout stages.

My favorite soccer name is old Hull player Dean Windass.

Just brilliant.

RawOwl UK
09-21-2007, 04:42 PM
My favorite soccer name is old Hull player Dean Windass.

Just brilliant.

I'll be watching Windass live tomorrow. Along with Jay Jay Okocha.

Cedric
09-21-2007, 07:13 PM
I'll be watching Windass live tomorrow. Along with Jay Jay Okocha.

That was a nice move by Hull. Okocha is old and all, but still.

M2
10-03-2007, 04:12 PM
So I joined the ESPN Champions League Fantasy League. Having missed the first three days of play, I stand no chance of winning, but it's free and seemed like fun.

I've got (Santa) Iker Casillas in net with Marseilles' Steve Mandanda (the future of French goal keeping) as his backup.

On defense I've got Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Per Mertesacker (Bremen), Luisao (Benfica), Gael Clichy (Arsenal) and Vladislav Vaschuk (Dynamo Kiev).

In the midfield I've got Wesley Sneijder (Real), Guti (Real), Ricardo Quaresma (Porto), Javier Mascherano (Liverpool) and Denilson (Arsenal).

My forwards are Emmanual Adebayor (Arsenal), Deivid (Fenerbahce) and Gerald Asamoah (Schalke).

I wanted David Villa from Valencia and he's already scored against Chelsea today, but I couldn't afford him. Mascherano and Asamoah started today on the bench, so they'd better get substituted in later.

M2
10-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Marseilles just took a late lead against Liverpool (at Anfield no less) on a stellar goal by Mathieu Valbuena. Supposedly Liverpool's never lost to a French team at home. Marseilles has pretty much owned them, Nigerian left back Taye Taiwo has been awesome.

Meanwhile Chelsea has clawed back to take a late 2-1 at Valencia thanks to Mr. Drogba.

RawOwl UK
10-04-2007, 02:58 PM
What about Dida !!!!!!!

What a joker he is. Fair enough, Celtic should get in some trouble for letting the guy get on the pitch BUT !!!! To collapse like that then require a stretcher was surely the lowest of the low.

Great result for the Celts by the way.

timmario66
10-04-2007, 03:18 PM
What about Dida !!!!!!!

What a joker he is. Fair enough, Celtic should get in some trouble for letting the guy get on the pitch BUT !!!! To collapse like that then require a stretcher was surely the lowest of the low.

Great result for the Celts by the way.

Here's the clip. It's hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MVDIYC13cg

WMR
10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Mandanda is from Congo, I heard? Guess he'll still be capped by France?

M2
10-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Mandanda is from Congo, I heard? Guess he'll still be capped by France?

Yeah, I'm not sure how it happened (though I'd guess his parents were French colonial citizens), but he played for the French U-21 team.

WMR
10-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how it happened (though I'd guess his parents were French colonial citizens), but he played for the French U-21 team.

That's one huge boon for the French national team... they can pretty much cherry-pick from nearly every country in Africa...

WMR
10-04-2007, 08:09 PM
I don't have the names in front of me... but I remember reading all the different France National Team "stars" who are actually from African nations... it was a bunch.

M2
10-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Arsenal is now up 6-0 on Slavia Prague with about half an hour left to play. Meanwhile Rangers are have weathered a storm by Barcelona and are now looking to snatch a late goal.

M2
10-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Damarcus Beasley came on as a substitute late in the game for Rangers and looked fabulous. He gave the Barca defenders fits. Nice to see an American showing some style.

M2
10-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Some huge upsets today.

Turkish side Besiktas beat Liverpool, dropping the English to last in their group and four points behind a qualifying slot. It's going to take a minor miracle for the Reds to revive themselves. It's also a huge victory for Turkish football, which has got Fenerbahce in 2nd place in their group (behind Inter, but ahead of PSV and CSKA Moskow).

Nowegian side Rosenborg beat Valencia, lifting it to 2nd in its group and once again striking a blow for clubs who supposedly aren't good enough to play in the Champions League.

Defending champs AC Milan beat Ukraine's Shakhtar Donetsk 4-1 to climb into 1st in their group (tied with Shakhtar). Benfica beat Celtic, putting both of those clubs three points off the pace.

Olympiacos (Greece) had Real Madrid on the ropes for a while today, but the Spanish leviathan eventually won 4-2 thanks to a brilliant game from Robinho, who made up nicely for recent party boy antics. The Greeks are still in 2nd in the group though, ahead of Werder Bremen and Lazio (based in Rome).

Right now Liverpool, Lyon, all three German squads, Valencia and the Dutch and Scottish champs are looking down the elimination barrel. It's been an awfully surprising group stage so far.

WMR
10-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Robinho's party boy antics? Do tell.

M2
10-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Robinho's party boy antics? Do tell.

A bunch of Brazilians pulled an all-nighter after their recent World Cup qualifier. Robinho, Julio Baptista and (surprise, surpise) Ronaldinho were late arrivals in getting back to Spain.

WMR
10-24-2007, 07:40 PM
A bunch of Brazilians pulled an all-nighter after their recent World Cup qualifier. Robinho, Julio Baptista and (surprise, surpise) Ronaldinho were late arrivals in getting back to Spain.

I'd love to be at that party.

Betterread
10-24-2007, 08:31 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

M2
10-24-2007, 10:59 PM

In Brazil I believe they call it Tuesday (Terca-feira).

WMR
10-24-2007, 11:00 PM
In Brazil I believe they call it Tuesday (Terca-feira).

I want to marry a brazilian girl someday.

M2
10-24-2007, 11:34 PM

You just want kids with innate ball skills.

BTW, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and southeastern New York are undergoing Brazilian population booms. Also, Brazilian women love American men. They think we're just swell.

Yachtzee
10-25-2007, 01:01 AM

A friend of mine is marrying a Brazilian girl Saturday. She's kind of crazy and doesn't like it when he hangs out with his friends. Control freaks come in all nationalities. What's Brazilian for "Yoko Ono?"

WMR
10-25-2007, 01:30 AM
A friend of mine is marrying a Brazilian girl Saturday. She's kind of crazy and doesn't like it when he hangs out with his friends. Control freaks come in all nationalities. What's Brazilian for "Yoko Ono?"

What's Brazilian for 'ejector seat'??

M2
11-06-2007, 05:53 PM
The Reds are never more dangerous than when they're dead.

Liverpool 8 - Besiktas 0

They're still in all sorts of trouble if Marseille can hold them to a draw, but I think we can consider the recent loss to Besiktas avenged.

Meanwhile Rosenborg won again beating Valencia 2-0. They are perilously close to qualifying for the next round.

WMR
11-06-2007, 05:56 PM
What about Chelsea's form, M2? :eek:

M2
11-06-2007, 06:02 PM
What about Chelsea's form, M2? :eek:

They were on fire until today. Credit to Schalke for slowing them down. Mr. Lampard's playing out of his mind.

M2
11-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Man U's through to the next round thanks to Sporting Lisbon blowing a 2-1 lead against Roma on an own goal in the 89th minute. It also prevented Sporting from pulling even with Roma, meaning the Italian club looks likely to advance as well.

Meanwhile Fenerbahce beat PSV 2-0 and looks all but assured to reach the round of 16. Look out for that club, Stephen Appiah is now getting back into game shape and, when he get there, it will be another major weapon for an already dangerous club. Meanwhile, what's happened to the Dutch League? It wasn't that long ago the Eredivisie was an elite league.

Arsenal and Sevilla look to have their group well in hand, though Slavia Prague regained some respectability today after the recent 7-0 loss to the Gunners, holding the English titans to a 0-0 draw.

Lyon clawed back three points on Rangers, setting up what should be a tense upcoming matchup in France. Can a Scottish side win on the road?

timmario66
12-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Huge match for Liverpool today. If they don't win, will Rafa get sacked before the big Manchester United game like Mourinho did.

M2
12-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Huge match for Liverpool today. If they don't win, will Rafa get sacked before the big Manchester United game like Mourinho did.

It's particularly interesting because this game is essentially Marseilles' season. They've flopped in Ligue 1. It really is an all or nothing contest for both sides.

WMR
12-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Talk about a text-book case of domination. :eek:

westofyou
12-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Talk about a text-book case of domination. :eek:

It's the uniforms, no team should wear those.

WMR
12-11-2007, 05:23 PM
It's the uniforms, no team should wear those.

Hehehehe those crazy frenchies.

M2
12-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Bad day for Cinderella. Schalke put away Rosenborg too. Though Olympiacos made the next round by putting away Werder Bremen.

Rangers and Fenerbahce are tomorrow's remaining upstarts.

I'm becoming a fan of the Champion's League being more of an NCAA basketball style tournament. Get 64 or 96 teams and set the brackets (think of the gambling opportunities!). Then it's do or die. It would allow for more upsets and make it a true European championship.

If it were a 96-team tournament, you could break it down like this:

51 league winners
5 extra clubs - UEFA 1st and 2nd ranked leagues
4 extra - UEFA 3rd and 4th leagues
3 extra - UEFA 5th and 6th leagues
2 extra - UEFA 7th and 8th leagues
1 extra - UEFA 9-26 leagues

That would give over half the leagues on the continent more than one representative in the tournament while offering top flight leagues a little more of a carrot at the same time. It would certainly be nice for the Premiership to be able to see some entrants beyond the Big Four.

WMR
12-11-2007, 06:21 PM
I'll do you one better, M2: Put in the winner of the MLS cup.

How exciting would that be?

BTW: I think that idea is awesome.

Nugget
12-11-2007, 09:54 PM
The big clubs tried going with a Eurpoean Super League along those lines - The problem is UEFA who wants to keep the Champions League elite - I believe the current talk is to shrink it once again - As you may know there use to be three Cups in Europe - The Champions League, the UEFA Cup and the Cup Winners Cup. In those days there was a clear distinction about who played where and I still like the old cups - even though the REDS would have one less Champions League to celebrate.

RawOwl UK
12-15-2007, 01:40 PM
The old style European cup is the way it should still be done.

There was once talk of a European breakaway league which could have pulled the top clubs out of there domestic leagues.

The champions league was formed in some way to stop this from happening & not forgeting it's a big money spinner !!!!!

I cannot get into the group stages like I feel I should. The top teams always seem to have enough stuff to drag themselves though the group stages.

EDIT

Sorry Nugget you mentioned the breakaway league.

jmcclain19
12-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Anyone watch the Rangers/Lyon game this week?
My goodness Rangers looked awful. Seemed like a jr high squad could have shown them a few things about set pieces - all they needed was a tie and they couldnt even manage that.

jmcclain19
12-15-2007, 03:55 PM
And I highly doubt that the CL will make any changes that would affect the pocket books of the G14 clubs. Europe means extra games & much higher ticket prices for games that are pretty much a guaranteed sellout.

M2
12-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Anyone watch the Rangers/Lyon game this week?
My goodness Rangers looked awful. Seemed like a jr high squad could have shown them a few things about set pieces - all they needed was a tie and they couldnt even manage that.

People sometimes forget that Lyon is dripping with talent. Rangers found that out the hard way. In particular Juninho has been on a mission the Champion's League this year.

And I highly doubt that the CL will make any changes that would affect the pocket books of the G14 clubs. Europe means extra games & much higher ticket prices for games that are pretty much a guaranteed sellout.

I suspect you're right. If Platini wants to change the equation he needs to make the G14's greed his ally. That's why I think the monster tournament idea works. It makes the platform bigger, which should in turn pump more money into the tournament. Don't weed them, convince them to let a bunch of others join the party. The G14 is conceited enough to assume it will still be the main attraction (and it will be right for the first few years).

RawOwl UK
12-17-2007, 04:00 PM
The thought of Barca or Man Utd going out in the early rounds would be too much of a gamble for UEFA !!!!

M2
12-17-2007, 05:24 PM
The thought of Barca or Man Utd going out in the early rounds would be too much of a gamble for UEFA !!!!

Possibly, but that's the exact goose that's laid so many golden eggs for the NCAA. Sure, Syracuse and UCLA suffered some opening round flops, but that's only served to fill their coffers over the long haul. That anything can happen notion sucks in the viewers, gamblers and advertisers. It mints money for the sport and the big programs ultimately reap the rewards.

WilyMo, I was thinking about the MLS Cup winner idea you tossed out. I don't think UEFA would be the right venue for that, but I wonder if the FA Cup might be willing to have a U.S. team or two in the mix. It's good marketing and our teams are no threat to win it.

WMR
12-17-2007, 05:28 PM
I was thinking about it some more too... right now one of the big knocks on the MLS regular season is that it doesn't mean anything. That is such an incredible departure from what the "regular season" means for just about every other league in the world... If they would tie a FA cup berth to the top point-getter in MLS it would alter the dynamic from being merely a "playoff focused American-style league."

Perhaps give one berth to the MLS Cup winner and another to the point-champion.

15fan
12-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Figure this is as good a thread as any to recognize the 2007 NCAA men's 1-A futbol champs.

Zach Schilawski (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC1GB5rZ-2I) with the game-winner on a nice assist by Marcus Terry.

And my new hero is Julius Valentin. Had to come out of the game w/ about 10 minutes left after taking a cleat in the face. 30 stitches and a national championship trophy later, he was all smiles.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1192/soccerchampstb5.gif

M2
12-17-2007, 05:46 PM
I was thinking about it some more too... right now one of the big knocks on the MLS regular season is that it doesn't mean anything. That is such an incredible departure from what the "regular season" means for just about every other league in the world... If they would tie a FA cup berth to the top point-getter in MLS it would alter the dynamic from being merely a "playoff focused American-style league."

That would be dynamite if they could convince the FA.

OUReds
12-17-2007, 05:56 PM
How that foot to the head didn't draw a red card I'll never know.

Cedric
12-18-2007, 02:57 AM

It's all about money and gaining attention for US sports. In England , Brazil, France, Italy, and the likes there really is not much competition in terms of sports. These leagues are able to go without playoffs because it's much more accurate in defining a true champion. Luckily promotion/relegation races and just passion for the sport is enough for these leagues. In America there are too many entertainment options for playoffs to not be a factor. That is why people actually like the Wild Card and want to ruin the best sport we have in the States (college football)

15fan
12-18-2007, 09:26 AM
How that foot to the head didn't draw a red card I'll never know.

It wasn't a game for the faint of heart. There was some pretty physical play. Ref swallowed his whistle on more than one occasion.

On another note - where'd my edit button go? Julian and Marcus Tracy need corrected up above, but I don't see an edit button anywhere.

westofyou
12-18-2007, 10:43 AM
That is why people actually like the Wild Card and want to ruin the best sport we have in the States (Major League Baseball)

Fixed that for you.

M2
12-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Marcus Tracy

Expect him to be wearing a New England Revolution uniform next year.

Cedric
12-19-2007, 12:21 AM
Fixed that for you.

Back when we had two leagues I would agree :)

Even though I wasn't around hah.