PDA

View Full Version : Somebody call Adam Dunn's mother

RFS62
09-19-2007, 08:40 AM
I watched the game on TV last night, and listened to WLW. I was amazed at how many radio calls were blatantly wrong. Saying a pitch was high when it wasn't, stuff like that. Also the time lag between something really happening and the Brennamens announcing it. And I had it synced up perfectly.

But the craziest thing of all happened in the 9th inning. Marty and Thom BOTH misidentified the Cubs pitcher, and talked about him the entire inning. Wuertz was in there pitching, and they thought he was Howry.

I'm not kidding. Marty and Thom went the entire inning thinking Howry was pitching. They went on and on about how good he looks.

They made numerous comments about how good Howry looked since the last time they saw him pitch, making "expert" observation after observation about his form and effectiveness.

I kept waiting for someone, anyone in the booth to straighten them out, but it didn't happen. At the end of the inning they never even knew they did it.

Someone should call Adam Dunn's mother and fill her in. I wonder what Marty would have to say about an announcers ability level if he saw that in someone else?

remdog
09-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Both Marty and Thom have been huge disappointments to me. It's time for Marty to go. And maybe Thom can get his old job back in Phoenix.

Rem

Bob Borkowski
09-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Marty makes lots of mistakes these days, it seems to me.

Just comes with the territory of being an old-timer. ;)

dabvu2498
09-19-2007, 08:58 AM
The other night, Votto was at bat and I forget who the Cubs pitcher was, but Thom said something to the effect of "Don't know if Votto faced him in AAA this season..."

One big problem, Thom... the Louisville Bats don't play the Iowa Cubs.

RFS62
09-19-2007, 09:01 AM
The other night, Votto was at bat and I forget who the Cubs pitcher was, but Thom said something to the effect of "Don't know if Votto faced him in AAA this season..."

One big problem, Thom... the Louisville Bats don't play the Iowa Cubs.

Sounds like Thom was hot dogging it

Unassisted
09-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Maybe the Brennamans need to check Sunday's newspaper coupons for a 2-for-one special on eye exams? ;)

The sad thing about this is they would surely deny it ever happened if they were called out publicly on it.

RedsBaron
09-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Maybe Bill Cunningham can make accusations about broadcasters announcing while drunk.........................;)
Seriously, the performance of Marty and Thom have left a lot to be desired, but a lot of Reds fans apparently still believe all they say.

RFS62
09-19-2007, 09:18 AM
The sad thing about this is they would surely deny it ever happened if they were called out publicly on it.

No way on this one. They went on and on about Howry. Both of them made in-depth comments about how good he looked and they talked about him a lot, more than usual I thought, which made it even more incredible as I watched and listened.

I kept waiting for them to be corrected, but it never happened.

lollipopcurve
09-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Marty should jog up to the broadcast booth and stand up at the microphone to show he cares. Because he doesn't announce like it.

westofyou
09-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Oh hush, most Reds fans don't care about the minutiae of the game do they? Most aren't as rabid fans as the average Redzone poster, they don't care about trite stuff like pitch location and the proper players being reported on.

Chip R
09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Oh hush, most Reds fans don't care about the minutiae of the game do they? Most aren't as rabid fans as the average Redzone poster, they don't care about trite stuff like pitch location and the proper players being reported on.

Things that are most important are whether a player runs out ground balls and popups and wears his pants the right way.

BRM
09-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Things that are most important are whether a player runs out ground balls and popups and wears his pants the right way.

They have to look angry when they strike out too. Otherwise, it looks like they don't care.

Blitz Dorsey
09-19-2007, 10:53 AM
When did the Brennamans become the whipping boys of this board? They get ripped a lot here and it's getting worse. Some of it is warrented, but this is over the top.

How quickly people forget that we could have someone the caliber of Steve Stewart announcing the games. Give me a guy like Thom Brennaman who loves the Reds, is good at what he does, and is a rising national star as a broadcaster (Fox and Big Ten Network -- not that anyone gets the latter yet).

As for Marty, yes he's regressed a little bit, but I still love him and I think people should enjoy his last 5-10 years or whatever. I guarantee you will miss him when he's gone. He's crusty and critical, but he's our Marty! And I still think he can be quite entertaining when not talking about flowers and golf and crap like that.

westofyou
09-19-2007, 10:56 AM
When did the Brennamans become the whipping boys of this board?

About 10 years ago (well at least at Fastball.com) hardly a new feature, it's a real problem for people who follow the Reds and don't live in Cincinnati, and a real problem for those who don't buy into the myth of Marty's infallibility.

Chip R
09-19-2007, 11:07 AM
When did the Brennamans become the whipping boys of this board? They get ripped a lot here and it's getting worse. Some of it is warrented, but this is over the top.

So players can be criticized when they make mistakes but the announcers can't? Just because Marty is in the broadcasters wing of the HOF, doesn't mean he's immune to criticism any more than being a future HOFer doesn't make Jr. immune to criticism. Broadcasters who work in glass booths shouldn't throw stones.

westofyou
09-19-2007, 11:15 AM
So players can be criticized when they make mistakes but the announcers can't? Just because Marty is in the broadcasters wing of the HOF, doesn't mean he's immune to criticism any more than being a future HOFer doesn't make Jr. immune to criticism. Broadcasters who work in glass booths shouldn't throw stones.

And since when expecting the radio guy to know who is actually pitching for the opposing team and then actually correctly reporting on it over the top?

bucksfan2
09-19-2007, 11:18 AM

How quickly people forget that we could have someone the caliber of Steve Stewart announcing the games. Give me a guy like Thom Brennaman who loves the Reds, is good at what he does, and is a rising national star as a broadcaster (Fox and Big Ten Network -- not that anyone gets the latter yet).

As for Marty, yes he's regressed a little bit, but I still love him and I think people should enjoy his last 5-10 years or whatever. I guarantee you will miss him when he's gone. He's crusty and critical, but he's our Marty! And I still think he can be quite entertaining when not talking about flowers and golf and crap like that.

I would have agreed with this sentiment a few years ago but Marty has gone over the top. The problem with his style is that he is well respected in this market and many casual fans take his word as gold. Its never good when your fan base thinks Freel or Hopper are better that Dunn. He and his hatred for Dunn have gotten to the point where it is almost unbearable to listen to the reds on radio. Its sad but it has become the truth lately.

RFS62
09-19-2007, 11:55 AM
And since when expecting the radio guy to know who is actually pitching for the opposing team and then actually correctly reporting on it over the top?

Well, I figured I should listen to that half inning again to make sure I wasn't being too harsh.

Here's what they said...

Thom: "Bobby Howry has been around a long time. He's had another excellent year... a 3.46 ERA.... league hitting .249 against Bobby Howry.

After striking out the first two hitters...

Thom: "Dad, it's only two batters, but the numbers don't lie. This is about the best I've seen Howry look in about 3 years. He is really throwing the ball well"

Marty: "Lou Pinella said that this guy is the heart and soul of the pitching staff"

Thom: "I believe it after watching him throw - we haven't seen him in a while"

Marty: "He said I can pitch him in a setup role, I can close with him if I have to... Lou said he has just been outstanding all year long"

Thom: "The only thing you don't like to see is the guy pitching in the 8th inning for you have 12 decisions.... you don't like to see that"

All this discussion about Bobby Howry when Howry never got into the game. It was Wuertz all along.

oneupper
09-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, it would have been Wuertz if they mistook a REDS pitcher.

:mooner::mooner:

pedro
09-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Leave Marty alone!

http://www.whudat.com/news/images/chris-crocker-2.jpg

He's in the HOF! Where are you? On the internet! Marty's got more brains in his pompodour than you have in your entire pinky. You should be glad that you have Marty to kick around because if you didn't then you wouldn't. And then what would you do? Huh?

lollipopcurve
09-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Thom: "I believe it after watching him throw - we haven't seen him in a while"

You know you haven't seen someone in a while when they look like a different person.

RFS62
09-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Leave Marty alone!

He's in the HOF! Where are you? On the internet! Marty's got more brains in his pompodour than you have in your entire pinky. You should be glad that you have Marty to kick around because if you didn't then you wouldn't. And then what would you do? Huh?

Hey, I'm just tellin' it like it is.

That's just not getting the job done.

pedro
09-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey, I'm just tellin' it like it is.

That's just not getting the job done.

But who'll be there for the tomato's?

THE TOMATO'S!!!!

BCubb2003
09-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I think even broadcasters should not be in the Hall of Fame until five years after they retire.

Unassisted
09-19-2007, 12:26 PM

Which part is over the top? They repeated a mistake for an entire half-inning that would have been obvious to 90% of the fans in attendance. Seriously, I want to understand why you perceive this criticism to be over the top.

Is your point that we should overlook this? If so, I'm curious why you think that we should do that? IMO, the reasons not to overlook it have been well-stated already in this thread.

How would you suggest they prevent mistakes like this in the future? My suggestion was eye exams. There are probably other ways.

KronoRed
09-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Give me Steve Stewert back, he actually made the games enjoyable to hear on the Radio, at least in his 4 innings of work.

Yachtzee
09-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Give me Steve Stewert back, he actually made the games enjoyable to hear on the Radio, at least in his 4 innings of work.

Actually knowing what is going on in the game is a good thing.

KittyDuran
09-19-2007, 01:37 PM
Don't know why this issue needed it's own thread...:rolleyes: We hashed it out over on the game thread. :deadhorse

pedro
09-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Don't know why this issue needed it's own thread...:rolleyes: We hashed it out over on the game thread. :deadhorse

Leave RFS alone!

He's old and wears leg warmers!

RFS62
09-19-2007, 02:15 PM

Well, not too many people read the game thread. I seldom do any more.

And I thought it was very noteworthy. I was shocked, to tell you the truth.

And I'd say that if you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Marty takes great pleasure in criticizing Reds players for far less egregious mistakes.

And what about poor Adam's mama? What about her?

Actually, it sounded to me like more of Thom's error, and Marty just went along with the identification of the pitcher without question. I'm not sure if they have a spotter, I doubt it really. And Thom started the inning announcing the pitching change.

Thom had another funny moment in that same half-inning. Junior swung and missed for strike two and Marty said....

Marty: "I tell ya', Ken Griffey Junior is operating on fumes right now"

Thom: "You know what Dad? I don't care who's pitching tomorrow, he should be sitting tomorrow. It's a lefthander, Lilly, and nobody in baseball is going to raise an eyebrow if the guy, Ken Griffey Junior, as much as he's played this year, sits down against a left handed pitcher."

Marty: "I could not agree with you more"

"wack"

Marty: "He lines it into left-centerfield. That's a basehit"

Thom: "huh"

And for the record, I agree. Junior does look tired. It was just the perfect end to a perfect inning for Marty and son.

RedsManRick
09-19-2007, 02:23 PM
In their defense, the Cubs PA announcer was not announcing the names of the various relievers brought in to the game in any sort of timely manner, if at all. He even announced Ross as the new catcher in the 8th before correcting himself and announcing that Javy was still in the game. Not his best night....

Chip R
09-19-2007, 02:28 PM
And for the record, I agree. Junior does look tired.

Jr.'s going to get some time off in SF since both teams are out of it.

mth123
09-19-2007, 07:23 PM

Personally, I liked Stewart better than either of the Brennamans. They are horrible together primarily because Thom is miscast as a color analyst. He chimes in way too much and seems to think he needs to comment on everything. I like Thom on play by play though and I can tolerate Marty when he is with Brantley or especially Nuxie, but I really stopped listening much somewhere around May. I think Marty is irritating but I have learned to ignore it most of the time. If the game isn't on TV, then I listen to XM and prefer when the Reds are on the road so I can get the opposing announcers. I only get WLW as a broadcast of last resort when the Reds are at home and not on TV. Even then, I sometimes just follow along on Gameday.

remdog
09-19-2007, 08:13 PM
Did anyone let Marty and Thom know about their faux pas?

Rem

Chip R
09-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Did anyone let Marty and Thom know about their faux pas?

Rem

Maybe Adam from Milwaukee should give them a call. ;)

Matt700wlw
09-19-2007, 08:52 PM

Thom gets the Arizona Cardinals vs Baltimore Ravens game this week...

I don't care if he comes across as a Cardinals fan, I just hope he comes across as a Ravens despiser :D

pedro
09-19-2007, 08:59 PM
I liked Steve Stewart.

RFS62
09-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Thom gets the Arizona Cardinals vs Baltimore Ravens game this week...

I don't care if he comes across as a Cardinals fan, I just hope he comes across as a Ravens despiser :D

Hey Matt, anybody there say anything about all this?

Matt700wlw
09-19-2007, 09:02 PM

About what, Marty and Thom expressing opinions or criticisms during a broadcast?

westofyou

Yeah it went like this, "Great to see ya Thom... your hair looks great too... go Bobcats!!"

RFS62
About what, Marty and Thom's "criticisms?

Uh, no. About misidentifying a pitcher last night.

Matt700wlw
09-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Uh, no. About misidentifying a pitcher last night.

Not that I've heard.

I didn't even notice it at the time.

RFS62
09-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Not that I've heard.

I didn't even notice it at the time.

So, they probably don't even know they did it?

westofyou
09-19-2007, 09:06 PM

Probably not.

But they'll be here long after you're gone Dave.

Matt700wlw
09-19-2007, 09:08 PM

Probably not.

That's more a Reds issue than us, if it's even an "issue"...he's their employee.

RFS62
09-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Probably not.

But they'll be here long after you're gone Dave.

But, but, but.... I don't wanna leave.....

Hey, we should get Pedro to email him and explain it. He's already been called an "internet boob" by the poofy haired one. He's used to it.

pedro
09-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Yeah it went like this, "Great to see ya Thom... your hair looks great too... go Bobcats!!"

"Hey.. ya hear they remodeled the Beta House? Meet you down at The Junction!"

MWM
09-20-2007, 01:04 AM
I thought Steve Stewart was fantastic. I'd trade him in heartbeat for Marty or Thom. Marty irritates the hell out of me at times, but Thom is just a bad announcer. I mean, REALLY bad. I've heard plenty of bad announcers from other teams, and while I don't think Marty falls into this category, Thom clearly does, IMO. At least Marty used to be great and is still really good when he wants to be. Thoms just isn't good and never has been.

Ron Madden
09-20-2007, 03:40 AM
Steve Stewart was very good at painting the picture for the listening audience. I liked him.

Most fans want to know what is actually happening on the field when they tune in to listen to a game.

We can give the Ownership, GM, Manager and Players hell but we should never question Marty.

Highlifeman21
09-20-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't mean to be a downer, but didn't Howry pitch the last 2 IP of the ballgame last night and get the win?

ESPN put up all kinda stats and graphics about Bob Howry last night during the 8th and the 9th, and the broadcast team went on and on and on about Bob Howry used to be a closer, but now he's a setup man, etc. Most of that was thanks to Steve Phillips.

So yeah, I hate to say it, but maybe Thom and Marty got it right?

Everybox score I've checked today has Howry credited with the 2 IP W last night.

Raisor
09-20-2007, 07:02 AM
I don't mean to be a downer, but didn't Howry pitch the last 2 IP of the ballgame last night and get the win?

ESPN put up all kinda stats and graphics about Bob Howry last night during the 8th and the 9th, and the broadcast team went on and on and on about Bob Howry used to be a closer, but now he's a setup man, etc. Most of that was thanks to Steve Phillips.

So yeah, I hate to say it, but maybe Thom and Marty got it right?

Everybox score I've checked today has Howry credited with the 2 IP W last night.

this thread is about Tuesday's game.

Highlifeman21
09-20-2007, 07:08 AM
this thread is about Tuesday's game.

I apologize, I'm a day behind!

GAC
09-20-2007, 07:11 AM
I've heard these two make these kind of mistakes all year long.

It's called Nuxhallitis and it's contagious!

Besides - we all know that pitchers all look alike and it's easy to get them mixed up!

KronoRed
09-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Steve Stewart was very good at painting the picture for the listening audience. I liked him.

I remember one of the arguments used that Stewart was "awful" was he spent too much time talking about the game, that people should watch TV if they wanted to know that much :rolleyes:

letsgojunior
09-20-2007, 02:40 PM

I don't think they're getting it any worse than any other Redszone whipping boy of the week, such as Adam Dunn. Speaking of Adam Dunn, a significant amount of the criticism leveled at him has been a result of Marty and Thom's ill-informed and unsupported rants.

If you're going to criticize players, GM's, managers as vociferously as they do on a regular basis, you should expect to receive some corresponding criticism when you're so unprepared for a game that you don't even know who is pitching for an entire inning. Especially when you're criticizing players because of unquantifiable intangibles such as "heart" and "effort."

deltachi8
09-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Last summer while driving to Texas, I was able to listen to a couple of games called by Steve and Nuxie...I really liked that pair. Steve made sure that any errors made were corrected (politely) and Joe was just talking baseball, not really playing with Marty.

remdog
09-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Someone should send this thread to the Brennaman Boys and ask them for their comment.

One would get you ten that it would be ignored.

Rem

KronoRed
09-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Someone should send this thread to the Brennaman Boys and ask them for their comment.

Rem

Probably, after all we're just internet boobs

Unassisted
09-20-2007, 10:53 PM

Since it didn't happen, there would be no need for them to finish reading the thread, much less comment. ;)

Blitz Dorsey
09-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Mildly hilarious that some people "like Steve Stewart" now that they don't have to listen to him anymore.

Come on, be real. That guy was terrible and everyone agreed. Boring to the T, didn't really know the game, faux excitement if at all... do you want me to go on?

Damn those Brennamans for wanting the Reds to do well and for being Reds fans at heart.

Unassisted
09-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Mildly hilarious that some people "like Steve Stewart" now that they don't have to listen to him anymore.

Come on, be real. That guy was terrible and everyone agreed. Boring to the T, didn't really know the game, faux excitement if at all... do you want me to go on?
I liked him. Back when there were 6 or so finalists for the job he filled and we discussed the finalists in a thread here, I was the first to pick Steve as the announcer I liked the best from among the finalists.

OTOH, I have quite deliberately avoided listening to a full game on XM when both Brennamans are working.

Blitz Dorsey
09-20-2007, 10:57 PM
I thought Steve Stewart was fantastic. I'd trade him in heartbeat for Marty or Thom. Marty irritates the hell out of me at times, but Thom is just a bad announcer. I mean, REALLY bad. I've heard plenty of bad announcers from other teams, and while I don't think Marty falls into this category, Thom clearly does, IMO. At least Marty used to be great and is still really good when he wants to be. Thoms just isn't good and never has been.

Personally, I thought Thom did a fantastic job during the Michigan-App State game. The guy is just a good announcer whether it's baseball or football.

Again, absolutely funny that Steve Stewart suddenly has fans a year after getting fired. When he was Marty's partner, he was ripped by 99 percent of Reds fans. I see the 1 percent is coming out in droves now. But I don't buy it. Saying you would rather have Steve Stewart over either of the Brennamans is akin to saying you'd rather have Hopper than Dunn. (And I'm a Norris Hopper fan.)

pedro
09-20-2007, 10:58 PM

Damn those Brennamans for wanting the Reds to do well and for being Reds fans at heart.

No, everyone didn't agree.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the only thing Marty is a fan of is himself. At least that's the impression he gives me while he's giving another halfhearted performance in his own job. Marty's the last guy who ought to questioning how others do their jobs, he's been mailing it in for years.

Yachtzee
09-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Personally, I thought Thom did a fantastic job during the Michigan-App State game. The guy is just a good announcer whether it's baseball or football.

Again, absolutely funny that Steve Stewart suddenly has fans a year after getting fired. When he was Marty's partner, he was ripped by 99 percent of Reds fans. I see the 1 percent is coming out in droves now. But I don't buy it. Saying you would rather have Steve Stewart over either of the Brennamans is akin to saying you'd rather have Hopper than Dunn. (And I'm a Norris Hopper fan.)

Since it looks like you joined when Steve was already on the way out the door, maybe you should do a search on old posts regarding Steve Stewart. There were plenty of people on Redszone who liked Stewart because he actually called the play on the field and you knew things like what the score is, what the count on the current batter is, who is pitching, etc. Personally, I think Stewart made Marty look bad because, while you have one guy making a solid show of calling a game of baseball, you had a so-called HOFer either making up lame nicknames, like "Bad Boy" Steve Stewart, coming up with lame bogus headlines, spending half an inning discussing some silly trivia question, or needlessly bashing players for what he felt to be a failure to play the game the right way by those players. Saying you like Stewart over Marty is like saying you'd like to see that one-time great ballplayer who can no longer pull his weight retire so that the young up-and-coming rookie gets a shot at playing full time.

Blitz Dorsey
09-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Since it looks like you joined when Steve was already on the way out the door, maybe you should do a search on old posts regarding Steve Stewart. There were plenty of people on Redszone who liked Stewart because he actually called the play on the field and you knew things like what the score is, what the count on the current batter is, who is pitching, etc. Personally, I think Stewart made Marty look bad because, while you have one guy making a solid show of calling a game of baseball, you had a so-called HOFer either making up lame nicknames, like "Bad Boy" Steve Stewart, coming up with lame bogus headlines, spending half an inning discussing some silly trivia question, or needlessly bashing players for what he felt to be a failure to play the game the right way by those players. Saying you like Stewart over Marty is like saying you'd like to see that one-time great ballplayer who can no longer pull his weight retire so that the young up-and-coming rookie gets a shot at playing full time.

You're right. And that is why there were other teams knocking down Stewart's door when the Reds let him go. Get real!

TeamBoone
09-21-2007, 01:06 AM
I really liked Steve too. It was quite refreshing to actually know what was going on down on the field... in detail.

For the most part, I do like Thom and Jeff too.

Yachtzee
09-21-2007, 02:30 AM
You're right. And that is why there were other teams knocking down Stewart's door when the Reds let him go. Get real!

I'm just countering your statement that 99% of Reds fans didn't like Steve Stewart. Stewart's current job status has no relevance as to whether people liked him here or disliked him. There was a significant number of people here who liked Stewart. Quite a few actually preferred a booth of Stewart and Nuxhall to Stewart and Brenneman or even Brenneman and Nuxhall (current vintage).

Ron Madden
09-21-2007, 03:06 AM

You can do a search and read all of the replies made by myself and many others who enjoyed listening to Steve call PBP.

Like I have said many times, Nobody calls a game winning play better than Marty. He can still do a great job when he wants to.
Seems to me like he doesn't much want to very often.

At one time Marty was one of the best PBP men in all of baseball, not anymore.

At least Steve kept us informed of what was really happening in the ballgame we tuned in to hear in the first place.

pedro
09-21-2007, 03:55 AM
You can do a search and read all of the replies made by myself and many others who enjoyed listening to Steve call PBP.

Like I have said many times, Nobody calls a game winning play better than Marty. He can still do a great job when he wants to.
Seems to me like he doesn't much want to very often.

At one time Marty was one of the best PBP men in all of baseball, not anymore.

At least Steve kept us informed of what was really happening in the ballgame we tuned in to hear in the first place.

:)

GAC
09-21-2007, 05:59 AM
Do any fans really like their own team's broadcast annoncers? :lol:

RedsBaron
09-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Do any fans really like their own team's broadcast annoncers? :lol:

I loved Marty and Joe for decades. Joe's gone and Marty is way past his sell date.

Roy Tucker
09-21-2007, 08:43 AM
You know, it's really too bad. When Marty gets caught up in the events of the game and gets cranked up, he can still hit it out of the park.

But I do think he's long since tired of his job. And I don't think he knows it. Too much "get off my lawn" bashing of players, too much kibitzing with the reporters, and too much getting distracted from from his real job which is calling the game.

If he pulled a Vin Scully and just called the action on the field and cut out all the other crap, he could still be brilliant.

There is a story I remember reading about Jimi Hendrix playing at the Fillmore East on New Year's Eve (the Band of Gypsys album). Bill Graham challenged Hendrix to cut out all the theatrical crap like playing behind his back and with his teeth and just *play*. So Hendrix stood stock-still the whole show and cranked out some of the best live guitar music ever.

westofyou
09-21-2007, 11:01 AM

Hey, why don't YOU get real and realize that other people might actually think differently then you on the subject.

No need to act surprised, the world is a big place full of varied opinions. Obviously you have yours, as narrow as it may but it is yours.

Blitz Dorsey
09-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Hey, why don't YOU get real and realize that other people might actually think differently then you on the subject.

No need to act surprised, the world is a big place full of varied opinions. Obviously you have yours, as narrow as it may but it is yours.

Westofyou, the point seemed to fly somewhat far west of you as well. People who "pay with their opinions" did not feel that Stewart was worthy of an MLB job. I am glad you liked him and I'm fully aware there were a small minority of people who felt the same way, but save me the BS. Stewart was a poor announcer and when he gets another full-time job you be sure to let me know.

KronoRed
09-22-2007, 01:06 AM
No, a poor announcer is what the Reds have in the booth now, Stewart was great.

Hey look..I can make blanket statements and pretend they are facts too :clap:

cincinnati chili
09-22-2007, 02:28 AM
Westofyou, the point seemed to fly somewhat far west of you as well. People who "pay with their opinions" did not feel that Stewart was worthy of an MLB job. I am glad you liked him and I'm fully aware there were a small minority of people who felt the same way, but save me the BS. Stewart was a poor announcer and when he gets another full-time job you be sure to let me know.

I'm pretty neutral on Stewart, but just because he didn't land a radio gig this year means very little. Only a handful of jobs opened up, and he was rumored to be a finalist in some of them (Padres and Brewers).

Announcing is very subjective. People loved Haray Caray. I thought he flat out sucked from the early 80's until he died. Some people like Milo Hamilton. To me, he seems contrived and adds very little to a broadcast.

I bet Stewart gets a job in the next couple years if he wants one.

westofyou
09-22-2007, 10:54 AM

Stewart actually has a job, the Reds still had a years contract on him so he decided to stay and play it out, I'm sure with your endorsement he's trembling of looking for a job elsewhere in the world now that he''s failed in that broadcasting mecca by the river.