PDA

View Full Version : Tom Gorzelanny for Cy Young!

harangatang
09-19-2007, 04:42 PM
With all the talk of Aaron Harang being underappreciated in the league I bring up an equally underappreciated pitcher (if not more) for another bad team. That would be Tom Gorzelanny whom is having a remarkable year for the 5th place Pittsburgh Pirates. In 2007 Gorzelanny is 14-8 with an ERA+ of 125. Gorzelanny only has 127 strikeouts in 190 innings which is alot less than Harang but all the rest of his numbers look good.

M2
09-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Gorzelanny's good. If only Dan O'Brien had insisted upon him as the return for Sean Casey.

Patrick Bateman
09-19-2007, 05:12 PM
At least Gorzelanny was on the 32nd man ballot for the all-star game. So I guess LaRussa appreciates his game.

He's a solid pitcher, but I think there may be some regression in the near future. His K/BB is 2.02 which is pretty mediocre considering he's not a high K guy, and he's not really a groundball pitcher. Usually those guys end up with ERA's in the 4.30-4.50 range.

That said, I'd love to have Gorzelanny as he could fit in the rotation quite easily in between Arroyo and Belisle. He's a nice pitcher, but I think Cy Young talk is over his abilities by quite a bit.

M2
09-19-2007, 05:22 PM
He's a nice pitcher, but I think Cy Young talk is over his abilities by quite a bit.

Agreed. Plus, Jake Peavy's going to win the Cy Young. I don't think there's really any debate about it.

harangatang
09-19-2007, 05:30 PM
He's a nice pitcher, but I think Cy Young talk is over his abilities by quite a bit.I agree with you and M2 as well with Jake Peavy. My point was there are other good underappreciated out there besides Harang on bad teams. Peavy has some sick numbers this year no matter where he pitches.

Patrick Bateman
09-19-2007, 05:36 PM
I agree with you and M2 as well with Jake Peavy. My point was there are other good underappreciated out there besides Harang on bad teams. Peavy has some sick numbers this year no matter where he pitches.

And I agree with you. He's a solid, young, cheap lefty. Those kinds of things are quite valuable to have in the rotation. But I don't expect him to post another 3.50 ERA next year either.

KronoRed
09-19-2007, 05:36 PM
Gorzelanny's good. If only Dan O'Brien had insisted upon him as the return for Sean Casey.

Wait..you wern't a fan of Dave Williams? come on...he pitched to contact!

RedsManRick
09-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Gorzelanny is just 25, but based solely on what I see in his peripherals and minor league numbers, I think we're seeing his ceiling. His K/9 and BB/9 are both quite pedestrian and he's flyball neutral, so that ridiculous HR/FB rate of his will have to hold for him to maintain this level of production. That said, his HR/FB rate has been that way throughout his career, so perhaps it's a repeatable skill. I don't really know the scouting report in terms of what he throws.

Who's a good comp? John Maine?

BRM
09-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Wait..you wern't a fan of Dave Williams? come on...he pitched to contact!

He was a #1.

RichRed
09-19-2007, 05:53 PM
He was a #1.

...who pitched like #2.

BRM
09-19-2007, 06:18 PM
...who pitched like #2.

That's not fair. The Reds never gave him a chance. Maybe he was just nervous for his 8 starts...

cincyinco
09-19-2007, 11:19 PM
I think a few of you are underestimating Gorz. He's consistently been a top prospect in his leagues, but under the weather. I don't recall his k rate lacking, until his call to MLB & I've followed him closely since his days in the low minors. He's a personal fav of mine so perhaps I'm a bit biased and/or overconfident but I forsee his K rate improving & I'm confident he can sustain another year with a mid 3's ERA.

He would have been a great target for us when Casey was dealt.. & he'd make a fine addition to any rotation. He won't be an ace but I think he can be a true #3 pitcher.