PDA

View Full Version : Griffey hurt-Lower abdominal strain

redsfan4445
09-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Griffey hurt his groin it looked like coming up to throw the ball in the bottom of the 8th.. he also looked like he did something as he struck out and maybe thats when he hurt it... the Cubs fans gave him a standing ovation as he walked off the field

DONT bash Griffey.. he had a great year and if he is done for the rest of the season, we will have to wait till next year for his 600th!

The Reds should bring up Bruce for the last few games..seee what he can do.

Matt700wlw
09-19-2007, 11:35 PM
DONT bash Griffey..

I won't.

I can't speak for others though....others whom we haven't seen around in a while, perhaps...

Matt700wlw
09-19-2007, 11:58 PM
Lower abdominal strain

RedLegSuperStar
09-20-2007, 12:03 AM
I doubt the Reds bring up Bruce because this is what Fay had to report last week:

Bruce is home in Texas. He'll go to instructional league in about a week, then to Arizona to train with USA Team for the tournament in Taiwan.

I'd love to see him up here and think the at bats are available now more then ever.. guess we'll wait and see.

redsfan4445
09-20-2007, 12:05 AM
Thanks Matt.. would that be a less serious injury than a groin strain?

fearofpopvol1
09-20-2007, 12:07 AM
This sucks for 2 reasons...

1.) Looks like he's done for the season (when he was super close to having a healthy season).

2.) Maybe more importantly, it's hurts his trade value. Although this doesn't appear to be a serious injury, it brings back into the picture those doubts about his ability to stay healthy.

redsfan4445
09-20-2007, 12:13 AM

2.) Maybe more importantly, it's hurts his trade value. Although this doesn't appear to be a serious injury, it brings back into the picture those doubts about his ability to stay healthy.

drives me crazy how people never can think about anything positive! he played just about the whole season!!.. he beat all those doom sayers hoping he got hurt in April/May on there dang "day Jr gets hurt pool" gesh i bet some on here would have booed instead of showing class for what he did like the Cubs fans giving him a standing ovation!!

Should we trade all the offesne too and have 1-0 loosses and another thing, im tired of anybody that performs well, people on this site want to TRADE them!!
I'm done venting!

Get well soon Jr, i thank you for your 2007 season!

fearofpopvol1
09-20-2007, 12:19 AM
drives me crazy how people never can think about anything positive! he played just about the whole season!!.. he beat all those doom sayers hoping he got hurt in April/May on there dang "day Jr gets hurt pool" gesh i bet some on here would have booed instead of showing class for what he did like the Cubs fans giving him a standing ovation!!

Should we trade all the offesne too and have 1-0 loosses and another thing, im tired of anybody that performs well, people on this site want to TRADE them!!
I'm done venting!

I'm not diminishing the season he's put together and I want him to stay healthy regardless. I root for the guy, he's on my team. I want to see him remain healthy and continue to put together great seasons.

However, I am looking at it also from a realistic standpoint. Griffey Jr. is not part of the Reds long term picture. Jay Bruce is destined to be his replacement whether that be next season or not. It makes a lot of sense to move Griffey and I would like to see the Reds get as much value as possible for him. An injury, and a minor one at that, does not help the cause.

RedLegSuperStar
09-20-2007, 12:23 AM

I'm done venting!

I agree with most of what is sad.. Junior had one heck of a year and there is not one person on this board that doesn't stop and watch Junior bat when he comes to the plate. For being the fan favorite Junior is.. fans sure do want him traded as of late. Mind you Griffey has a no-trade clause and he came here to be near family and be close to his Florida home. Junior is here for the remainder of his contract and that's not a bad thing.

toledodan
09-20-2007, 12:26 AM
like it or not the reds will not move griffey unless he asks for it. its not that hard to understand. also don't be surprised when the reds pick his option up for 2009 as well. thanks ken for a great 2007 season.:thumbup:

MartyFan
09-20-2007, 12:31 AM
MAN!

Too bad to hear about this...Sorry Junior...thanks for a good year...rest up, heal up and come back in the Spring ready to get 600+!

mbgrayson
09-20-2007, 01:38 AM
From C. Trent's blog (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/):

Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Griffey update

CHICAGO -- It's a lower abdominal strain and Griffey will return to Cincinnati instead of going to San Francisco.

"You guys know as much as I do," Griffey said.

Griffey said he didn't remember anything after the initial shock of pain. He said he knew he threw it, but not sure where.

"The best way I can describe it is it felt like somebody bungee jumped off my right nut," Griffey said.

Griffey said his groin area had been bothering him for a couple of weeks, but it was something he has been playing through.

"It’s been a little sore for a while," Griffey said. "But it’s the situation where the games don’t mean anything for us, but you’ve got to go out there and try to finish strong and hopefully make it hard on other teams. That’s what we were trying to do. I knew I wasn’t going to play much over the next week until Chicago came back (to Cincinnati). It was just one play."

Adam Dunn said he's surprised more people haven't gotten hurt at Wrigley because the outfield is in such bad shape.

"That outfield is dangerous. I’m surprised more people don’t get injured out there. It’s as bad as there is. It’s worse than playing in a parking lot," Dunn said. "It looked like they had a monster truck rally. There’s potholes. It’s bad. It’s unsafe."

posted by ctrosecrans at 10:56 PM

redsrule2500
09-20-2007, 02:16 AM

1.) Looks like he's done for the season (when he was super close to having a healthy season).

Yep, my thoughts exactly. If he could have gotten through a season for the first time in FOREVER that would have been enough. But nope...

M2
09-20-2007, 02:17 AM
I don't think this will much affect Jr.'s trade value. He's still had a good year.

Plus, since the Reds have nothing to play for they can legitimately say they're shutting him down because it's not worth aggravating the groin pull at this juncture of the season.

If the team does shut him and it finds a match for him on the trade market this winter, this could be Jr.'s last game in a Reds uni. If so, I'll echo what I said in the game thread - thanks for being a standup guy during some real falldown for this franchise.

WVRedsFan
09-20-2007, 02:33 AM
Junor being Junior--if he can come back he will. Whether that's wise or not is immaterial at this point. It's more important to Junior than it is to thre Reds.

M2 is probably correct. It will not hurt his trade value, but he's not going to be traded. Not on the crusp of 600 HR's on a team that is desparate for wins and reasons for fans to come out to the old ballpark.

But I'll say this. I've never understood why people want to blame Junior for injuries. People, and especially athletes, get hurt. I've heard a lot of skuttlebut about Josh Hamilton not being reliable and Freel being fragile, but that doesn't matter. Griffey gets hurt and it's the end of the world. The man played 144 games this year and performed well. He hit 30 HR's and drove in nearly 100 runs. You want to know how many teams would kill for that? The man is near 40 years old and still puts up these numbers. And some want to send him away for a couple of infield vets (or relief pitchers) and a turkey when his contract is such that he is probably underpaid for his statistiscs.

Yes, Junior's time is just about up, but even in the twilight of his career, he does things that many younger players do. No, he doesn't run so fast these days and many want to crucify him for mis-playing balls and not hitting .350, but this guy is amazing. To replace those RBI's would require twice as much as we're paying him, and besides, he's about to attract more attention to the Reds than any of the replacements many are talking about. Let him play out his contract and leave him alone. It's the human thing to do.

BCubb2003
09-20-2007, 03:27 AM
Is this how we'll remember him?

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070920/capt.f78911f143ad4b40b8ec44d9c32faecd.reds_cubs_gr iffey_hurt_baseball_cxc113.jpg?x=380&y=259&sig=C7E17byBJxizs0GNRl9WzA

Ron Madden
09-20-2007, 04:50 AM
Hope the injury is not serious. JR has had a fine season.

redsmetz
09-20-2007, 06:31 AM
like it or not the reds will not move griffey unless he asks for it. its not that hard to understand. also don't be surprised when the reds pick his option up for 2009 as well. thanks ken for a great 2007 season.:thumbup:

I will be very surprised if the Reds pick up that option; and that's not a knock against Junior. I don't think it's catastrophic if Griffey's not moved next year, it does mean that Bruce stays at AAA a little longer than is necessary. I haven't read the entire thread, so I don't know how serious an injury this is (I'm guessing not tremendously serious - but I don't even play a doctor on TV), but I see no reason Griffey can't return next year and still have value in a trade during the year.

redsfan4445
09-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Junor being Junior--if he can come back he will. Whether that's wise or not is immaterial at this point. It's more important to Junior than it is to thre Reds.

M2 is probably correct. It will not hurt his trade value, but he's not going to be traded. Not on the crusp of 600 HR's on a team that is desparate for wins and reasons for fans to come out to the old ballpark.

But I'll say this. I've never understood why people want to blame Junior for injuries. People, and especially athletes, get hurt. I've heard a lot of skuttlebut about Josh Hamilton not being reliable and Freel being fragile, but that doesn't matter. Griffey gets hurt and it's the end of the world. The man played 144 games this year and performed well. He hit 30 HR's and drove in nearly 100 runs. You want to know how many teams would kill for that? The man is near 40 years old and still puts up these numbers. And some want to send him away for a couple of infield vets (or relief pitchers) and a turkey when his contract is such that he is probably underpaid for his statistiscs.

Yes, Junior's time is just about up, but even in the twilight of his career, he does things that many younger players do. No, he doesn't run so fast these days and many want to crucify him for mis-playing balls and not hitting .350, but this guy is amazing. To replace those RBI's would require twice as much as we're paying him, and besides, he's about to attract more attention to the Reds than any of the replacements many are talking about. Let him play out his contract and leave him alone. It's the human thing to do.

AMEN!!! Thanks for a great post. I am VERY grateful he is a Cincinnati Red. He didn't cheat to hit all those homers and to know he has played thru some pain and didn't complain the past two weeks, when you could tell he wasn't driving the ball, says alot of Griffey!

Highlifeman21
09-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Griffey update

CHICAGO -- It's a lower abdominal strain and Griffey will return to Cincinnati instead of going to San Francisco.

"You guys know as much as I do," Griffey said.

Griffey said he didn't remember anything after the initial shock of pain. He said he knew he threw it, but not sure where.

"The best way I can describe it is it felt like somebody bungee jumped off my right nut," Griffey said.

Griffey said his groin area had been bothering him for a couple of weeks, but it was something he has been playing through.

"It’s been a little sore for a while," Griffey said. "But it’s the situation where the games don’t mean anything for us, but you’ve got to go out there and try to finish strong and hopefully make it hard on other teams. That’s what we were trying to do. I knew I wasn’t going to play much over the next week until Chicago came back (to Cincinnati). It was just one play."

Adam Dunn said he's surprised more people haven't gotten hurt at Wrigley because the outfield is in such bad shape.

"That outfield is dangerous. I’m surprised more people don’t get injured out there. It’s as bad as there is. It’s worse than playing in a parking lot," Dunn said. "It looked like they had a monster truck rally. There’s potholes. It’s bad. It’s unsafe."

posted by ctrosecrans at 10:56 PM

I'm less concerned with the actual injury, and more concerned with the fact of how KGJ knows what it feels like to have someone bungee jump off his nut.

Ltlabner
09-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Damn.

I'm more bummed for Jr being this close to a complete healthy season than anything. That aside, he's had a stunning year and it's been fantastic to see him playing well and for once being able to enjoy himself in Cincinnati.

If this was, in fact, his last game I will be bummed. I know he's a strong possibility to be gone, but I've enjoyed having him here in Cincy, twilight of his carear or not.

MrCinatit
09-20-2007, 08:11 AM
My heart sunk when I saw it on ESPN just a moment ago.
I was really rooting for him to get 100 RBIs this year.

camisadelgolf
09-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Is this how we'll remember him?

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070920/capt.f78911f143ad4b40b8ec44d9c32faecd.reds_cubs_gr iffey_hurt_baseball_cxc113.jpg?x=380&y=259&sig=C7E17byBJxizs0GNRl9WzA

For his 404th homerun against the Mets over seven years ago? Or is that just a bad link?

GAC
09-20-2007, 09:10 AM
I'm less concerned with the actual injury, and more concerned with the fact of how KGJ knows what it feels like to have someone bungee jump off his nut.

:lol:

I saw that too. Very descriptive.

It doesn't take much - planting a foot wrong, hitting the base badly, etc. - to tweek or pull a lower abdominal or groin muscle. It can happen anytime and we've seen it happen a few times this year to other Red's player..... Hamilton, Conine, EE, all come to mind.

Kc61
09-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Junior looked tired during the whole Cub series. No bat speed, wasn't running well. I don't know what theory required him to play all three of those games -- the idea that the Reds had to play the exact same lineup against all contenders to achieve "fairness" makes no sense. Maybe you don't play all kids in meaningful games, but you don't have to play a guy like Griffey so many games.

I thought the idea was to give Griffey ample rest this year. Well he had 528 at bats, too much playing time.

In these "meaningful" games Mack also seemed reluctant to use the hard throwing younger relievers like Bray, McBeth and Salmon. Not that the Reds really care at this point, but haven't Maj and Stanton shown that they are not 8th inning guys at this point?

I guess the posters are right that Griff is unlikely to be traded with 593 homers. But it would have been nice for him to finish healthy. Just in case some GM out there wants to add a bat, perhaps a DH, and is willing to give up something in exchange, I think last night only serves as a reminder of Griff's injury status the last few years.

Roy Tucker
09-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Junior looked tired during the whole Cub series. No bat speed, wasn't running well.

My thoughts exactly. Watched the game with my youngest last night and she said he didn't look very good even before all the first and second instance of injuries. I thought he looked like he needed to be at home on the porch taking a nap.

Get well soon, Junior. I hope this is just your garden variety muscle pull and no surgery, screws, etc etc.

15fan
09-20-2007, 09:38 AM
At the end of his career, Barry Larkin also had problems with chronic groin injuries.

Chip R
09-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Junior looked tired during the whole Cub series. No bat speed, wasn't running well. I don't know what theory required him to play all three of those games -- the idea that the Reds had to play the exact same lineup against all contenders to achieve "fairness" makes no sense. Maybe you don't play all kids in meaningful games, but you don't have to play a guy like Griffey so many games.

That's it right there. He was going to get a break in SF because they weren't in the race. You sit a guy like Jr. - if he's healthy - and other teams are going to think you are not giving it your all against the team they are going against. Someday you may be in that same situation.

GAC
09-20-2007, 10:27 AM
It's called "My Man Pain" :lol:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/jpeg/tim.jpg

registerthis
09-20-2007, 10:29 AM

I dunno about that. I think it would behoove the Reds to shop Junior pretty hard this offseason. I used to think that the Reds would bring him back at any cost in order to have him hit #600 as a Red, but I'm not sold on that idea now. It would be kinda big news for a brief period, but after he's done it you've still got a gimpish 38 year old blocking a younger--and more deserving--player. It's time to move along, and with Bruce on the cusp of great things, and Dunn and Hamilton holding down spots, if Junior can be shipped off during the offseason, you do it. The fact that he hasn't hit 600 yet could actually help the Reds, as it could be a selling point to any team considering acquiring him.

Kc61
09-20-2007, 10:29 AM
That's it right there. He was going to get a break in SF because they weren't in the race. You sit a guy like Jr. - if he's healthy - and other teams are going to think you are not giving it your all against the team they are going against. Someday you may be in that same situation.

I haven't gone back to check, but I think Griff played just about every game in two Milwaukee series, two St. Louis series, one Chicago series. That's overdoing it. You can field a representative club without overusing a guy with Griff's mileage and injury history.

Particularly the way he looked in the last three games. Mack said that he had considered resting Griff last night. He should have.

KronoRed
09-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Resting JR means you get Ellison as a starter, Mack needs all the wins he can get to make his case for manager look better, can't really blame him for playing JR a lot.

Barbarossa
09-20-2007, 01:49 PM
I dunno about that. I think it would behoove the Reds to shop Junior pretty hard this offseason. I used to think that the Reds would bring him back at any cost in order to have him hit #600 as a Red, but I'm not sold on that idea now. It would be kinda big news for a brief period, but after he's done it you've still got a gimpish 38 year old blocking a younger--and more deserving--player. It's time to move along, and with Bruce on the cusp of great things, and Dunn and Hamilton holding down spots, if Junior can be shipped off during the offseason, you do it. The fact that he hasn't hit 600 yet could actually help the Reds, as it could be a selling point to any team considering acquiring him.

I think it would mean more for Jr to hit that #600 in Seattle than anywhere else but Cincinnati. He's hinted he'd like to retire there, so just send him there a year early. Junior likes to do Spring training in Fla. so we let him train with the Reds and then send him west a week before the season starts. If the Reds could get a young pitching prospect out of it then everyone's happy.:)

Redsland
09-20-2007, 02:53 PM
At the age of 37, Ken Griffey Jr. had 528 at-bats this year, the most he's ever had as a Red. The last time he eclipsed that total he was 29 years old, eight years ago in Seattle.

That's pretty amazing.

Sea Ray
09-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Let's hope the diagnosis isn't sports hernia. Anything but that...

RichRed
09-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Resting JR means you get Ellison as a starter, Mack needs all the wins he can get to make his case for manager look better, can't really blame him for playing JR a lot.

Mack said before the game last night that he planned on resting Jr. and Dunn today. Just a day late.

He also said he'd be getting some ABs for Ellison in "his old stomping grounds" of San Fran. Joy.

RedsManRick
09-20-2007, 03:09 PM
We know what Ellison is capable of (more precisely not capable of). Why not give Coats a chance to make a case for being reasonable trade bait in the offseason? They're virtually the exact same guy except Coats is a lefty and 4 years younger.... and white.... and 5 inches taller.

RichRed
09-20-2007, 03:11 PM
We know what Ellison is capable of (more precisely not capable of). Why not give Coats a chance to make a case for being reasonable trade bait in the offseason? They're virtually the exact same guy except Coats is a lefty and 4 years younger.... and white.... and 5 inches taller.

To be fair, he actually mentioned getting Coats some playing time before Ellison's name came up. But Ellison's name did come up.

remdog
09-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Mack said before the game last night that he planned on resting Jr. and Dunn today. Just a day late.

He also said he'd be getting some ABs for Ellison in "his old stomping grounds" of San Fran. Joy.

Yeah. That would be one seriously crappy looking line-up. On the bright side, a few games of that outfield and the Reds would know what they would look like if they don't pickup Dunn's option. :yikes:

That ought to even get Marty in line.

Rem

KronoRed
09-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Who wants to bet that Dunn still bats 5th with JR out? ;)

MartyFan
09-20-2007, 03:27 PM
When Junior made the catch in right field the other night where he had to run a long way and came very close to running into the wall in foul territory I thought he was looking a little gimpy then...I admire Junior for being "all in"...Hope he gets to 110% in the offseason.

Unassisted
09-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Does this prove that it is better for a cheetah to stretch before it chases its prey? ;)

George Anderson
09-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Does this prove that it is better for a cheetah to stretch before it chases its prey? ;)

That was my signature until a few months ago. :D

M2
09-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Who wants to bet that Dunn still bats 5th with JR out? ;)

I figure that's guaranteed. After all, why would you want to put Dunn up in front of Brandon Phillips? What would you gain from that?

pedro
09-20-2007, 05:43 PM
I really think the time has come for Junior to either invest in a first baseman's mitt or be ready to accept any trade to the AL. I just can't see why he'd even want to play OF anymore after this year.

redsfan4445
09-20-2007, 06:48 PM
per rotoworld:

Ken Griffey Jr. will miss the rest of the season with a high left groin strain.
It looked like a groin when it happened, but then the Reds called it an abdominal strain after the game. Griffey, who was really slumping this month, ends the season at .277/.372/.496 with 30 homers and 93 RBI in 144 games. It was the most games he had played in since 2000, his first year in Cincinnati. Jason Ellison and Buck Coats will play right field for the rest of the season. :(

Any MOD please change the thread title for me.. thanks

Matt700wlw
09-20-2007, 08:33 PM
Griffey...how did it feel?

:eek:

chicoruiz
09-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Given the alternatives, I wouldn't mind seeing Keppinger out there once Gonzo gets healthy.

nate
09-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Didn't Keppinger play outfield for a couple games this year? Can he?

remdog
09-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Left groin, right nut?

Rem

Chip R
09-21-2007, 11:17 AM

Yeah. He just might play some OF if Gonzo is healthy.

GAC
09-21-2007, 01:18 PM

Only while at SS when he had to fall back and cover Dunn's territory!

KA-CHING!

smith288
09-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Wow Griff...i really didnt need the visual... (get well soon though)

Roy Tucker
09-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Left groin, right nut?

Rem
Along the lines of the opposition of handedness-brain hemisphere, it's only logical.

Groiness-nutness?

(sorry, it's Friday)

camisadelgolf
10-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I just discovered that Ken Griffey Jr. once missed a game after his protective cup slipped and pinched a testicle.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/holloman/020307.html

KittyDuran
10-01-2007, 03:24 PM
I just discovered that Ken Griffey Jr. once missed a game after his protective cup slipped and pinched a testicle.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/holloman/020307.htmlOUCH... didn't need that visual! WAIT! What am I saying???? :evil: